Start by marking “The Gamble” as Want to Read:
The Gamble

The Gamble

3.68  ·  Rating details ·  271 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Georgiana Newbury and her sister Anna are left penniless by the sudden death of their father -- a criminal who blackmailed five men for cheating at cards (or on their wives). The only way she can now survive, and save her sister, is to gamble herself on the risky prospect of marriage.

Using her father's blackmail files she compels Lord Winterdale to present her during the
Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Published May 1st 1998 by Warner Books

To ask other readers questions about The Gamble, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gamble

Sandra
May 25, 2015 rated it it was ok
Ugh it was a struggle deciding between a 2 or 3 star, but since I finished it I'll give it 3. After thinking about it, this is definitely a 2 star, it's not on level with other books I've given 3 stars.

This book felt like three standard romance themes smushed into one...blackmailing someone for a London season (and then falling in love), marrying to protect a woman's reputation (and then falling in love), and a mystery to figure out who is trying to kill our main character (and falling in love).
Zoe
Aug 29, 2016 added it
Shelves: no-can-do
A blackmailing scheming heroine. It's not my cup of tea.
Kathy
May 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
A sweet regency. Love the first person narrative.
Greymalkin
Oct 15, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
Calli0pe
The guardian/ward trope has been done before and much better than here (by Georgette Heyer, for one). I don't believe that suspense/intrigue is Joan Wolf's forte, either. I really didn't care "who dun it" in the Guardian; the suspense element was fairly non-existent.
What is truly enjoyable is the first person narrative, written from the point of view of intelligent, entertaining and engaging Georgie.
I felt that the character of Philip is not as well developed as heroes in other Wolf's novels I
Devz Milady
Aug 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
I have a new favorite author in Joan Wolf. Reason - her heroines are not the usual stupid man-lusting heroines you usually meet in a romantic novel.

Georgie is refreshing as a bold brave young girl who makes her own mind.
Philip is likeable but not very swoon-worthy.

The story kinda drags own a bit but overall its very enjoyable.
However I liked The Pretenders better.
Gayle
Mar 14, 2009 added it
Georgianna cares for her sister who has a brain injury. Her father dies leaving them penniless. While going through his papers she discovers he blackmailed several members of the nobility. Desperate to care for her sister she travels to London to blackmail an Earl to launch her along with his niece in the marriage mart. Georgianna discovers a perfect man in a unexpected way.
Julienne
Sep 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
This was the FIRST Romance novel I ever bought for myself, in Powerbooks Pasay Road. I will never forget this one. I think I've read it thrice or something. On hindsight, it wasn't THAT great, but memorable all the same. I liked the leading lady's character =)
Tami
Jan 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Starting to like a few types of romance novels. GASP! This one was enjoyable. Predictable, yes. But that makes for a comfort read for me.
Lola
Feb 01, 2016 rated it it was ok
In spite of some dark themes, this managed to be sweet and enjoyable in the best Regency romance way, though I fear ultimately forgettable. The epilogue was also more than a little self indulgent.
Rose Lerner
Jan 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book made a HUGE impression on me in high school. I had a blast re-reading it, and Philip was just as dreamy as I remembered.
Tressa
Mar 06, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
I liked the story, but I didn't fall in love with the characters.
Faye
Feb 15, 2011
Carrie
Jul 21, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Devil's Delilah (Regency Noblemen, #2)
  • The Outrageous Lady Felsham (Scandalous Ravenhursts, #2)
  • Carnevale
  • Promise Me Heaven (Royal Agents #1)
  • Vixen (V, #3)
  • Innocence Undone (Kingsland, #1)
  • Never Dare a Duke (Sons of Scandal, #2)
  • An Invitation to Seduction (Daughters of Fortune, #4)
  • Blue Fire
  • Lady Sparrow
  • The Saint (Seducers #2)
  • Fountain of Secrets (Akora, #5)
  • Coming Home for Christmas: A Christmas in Paradise\O Christmas Tree\No Crib for a Bed
  • Shady Lady (Men from Special Branch, #5)
  • No Marriage of Convenience
  • Lord of Scandal
Joan Wolf is a USA TODAY bestselling American writer, whose acclaimed Regency romances have earned her national recognition as a master of the genre. Her many historical and contemporary romances, some of which have been chosen as Literary Guild selections, have been highly praised by reviewers and authors alike.

Joan was born in 1951 and she grew up in the Bronx, New York. A former English teacher
More about Joan Wolf...