Start by marking “The Guardian” as Want to Read:
The Guardian

The Guardian

After her husband, the seventh Earl of Weston, dies of pneumonia, Annabelle knows her life will never be the same. The Earl has appointed his younger brother Stephen the legal guardian of her young son, the same Stephen who was her first love and who, five years before, broke her heart and mysteriously abandoned her to a loveless marriage. Can Stephen and Annabelle join fo ...more
Published May 1st 1997 by Grand Central Publishing (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Guardian, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Guardian

Aneca
Dec 08, 2007 rated it really liked it
I usually enjoy Joan Wolf's stories, especially the regency historicals she wrote in the first person, they always have some drama, some angst and agony and some of favourite stories have those ingredients so I am always ready to try new ones. This one was not an exception and added another particular favourite of mine - the second chance at love story.

Annabelle and Stephen were childhood sweethearts; they grew up together because her mother was married to his father and thy fell in love. Howeve
Graylark
Nov 09, 2016 rated it it was ok
A depressing tragedy of misunderstandings.
P.
Jan 12, 2016 rated it it was ok
Strangely disorganized, wandering plot. The heroine is [and there is no adjective significant enough] gorgeous to the nth. Every man who sees her is instantly obsessed with her. The plot kicks off when the heroine and the hero [obsessed] are separated when he is caught smuggling, although he's just taking the place of a friend, but while everyone else manages to escape he is caught. He may be stupid but he is noble. He is exiled so his true love - our heroine promptly marries his brother [also o ...more
NBazel
Mar 02, 2018 rated it did not like it
Book was more of a mystery than romance and too unbelievable. Throughout the book, the hero is under attack and a target under hit. He is shot at and wounded and accidents befall him. We find the culprits in the end of the novel and they are embezzlers and wannabe murderers but they are forgiven and nothing happens to them. Instead they are rewarded with estates. What a joke. And the heroine keeps contact with them and apologizes. Ok apologize to people who embezzle money and try to murder you. ...more
Joy
Jun 07, 2018 rated it liked it
I like Joan Wolf's novels, but 18 years after the first read, I am reminded of why I haven't made THE GUARDIAN a habit. The heroine has had a relatively charmed life because of her beauty and kind personality. Once her dead husband's brother comes home, she refuses to see many things because she is in a blissful haze and wants to remain so.

Read 2 times
Anne
Sep 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
The best of Wolf's sexier Regencies, and I believe I've read them all. I loved the extended family all living together and the relationships among them, and how they developed and changed. (view spoiler)
Heather
May 27, 2012 rated it it was ok
the main character was frankly boring.and i dont think there was any humor in here at all.in fact, the whole book was kind of boring. idk how authors can write so boring.i mean like,zero humor.
during the scene with the faulty boat, she was overreacting with the take my son first. werent they in a pond? they all could have swam to the edge with no problem.
i dont remember her age,but she came off as all old and motherly. just because you have a kid doesnt mean you have to be so stuffy and boring.
i
Michelle
Aug 14, 2012 rated it liked it
The heroine seemed quite dense to me. Apparently, she had great beauty but there weren't many brains behind te pretty face. At least not enough to warrant the undying devotion from the young men of the book. It's not a bad story, just one that's not quite strong enough to please me.
Gayle
Nov 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Annabele and Steven from the time they were children were inseparable. Stephens older brother is attracted to Annabella and when Stephen is exiled a forced marriage takes place. Great chemistry between Stephen and Annabelle. This book is on my keeper shelf.
Jeanne Jenike
Jul 09, 2015
Jeffrey Johnson
Feb 22, 2019
angelfelicia
rated it did not like it
Feb 15, 2015
Juli
Apr 15, 2009
Rowanmorgaine
Oct 22, 2012

• Dangerous to Kiss (Dangerous, #2)
  • Prince of Swords
  • The Wedding Journey
  • A Lily Among Thorns
  • Moontide Embrace
  • The Sins of Lady Dacey (Regency Royal, #15) (Dukes & Desires, #4)
  • Outlaw in Paradise
  • The Chance (C Series, #4)
  • Letting Go
  • Lord Stanhope's Proposal
  • The Gunslinger's Bride (Montana Mavericks: Historicals #1)
  • Dangerous Lord, Innocent Governess (Belston & Friends #2)
  • The Duke's Double (Lords of Love)
  • Stealing Heaven (Celtic Rogues #4)
  • A Song at Twilight (A Song at Twilight, #1)
  • My Only Love
  • Saved by Scandal
  • Green Eyes
Joan Wolf is a USA TODAY bestselling American writer, whose acclaimed Regency romances have earned her national recognition as a master of the genre. Her many historical and contemporary romances, some of which have been chosen as Literary Guild selections, have been highly praised by reviewers and authors alike.

Joan was born in 1951 and she grew up in the Bronx, New York. A former English teacher