Start by marking “The Brewmaster's Bible: Gold Standard for Home Brewers, The” as Want to Read:
The Brewmaster's Bible: Gold Standard for Home Brewers, The

The Brewmaster's Bible: Gold Standard for Home Brewers, The

The Beer Renaissance is in full swing, and home brewing has never been more popular. According to the American Homebrewers Association, there are currently 1.2 million home brewers in the country, and their numbers keep rising. Tired of the stale ale, bland beer and lackadaisical lagers mass-produced by the commercial labels, Americans are discovering the many advantages o ...more
Published May 9th 1997 by William Morrow Cookbooks

Sagely
Dec 22, 2015 rated it liked it
The Brewmaster's Bible starts off great, but in the end it falls short of canonicity.

Stephen Snyder opens TBB with great introductory material: easy how-to's on yeast starters and decoction mashing. A few great tables on different fermentables yields.

But TBB falls apart in the long, long recipe section. The recipes don't all hold to the same format or the same tone. Some give specific metrics to shoot for (IBUs, SRM), and other's leave you with little more than an estimated ABV.

Neither is the to
Rob
Jan 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, brewing
Impressively thorough coverage of the subject, though it gets redundant in places (esp. w/r/t/ a ale vs. lager brewing). The thing I liked the most, and the reason I would recommend it to beginning brewers, is that Snyder covers even the most mundane aspects (e.g., cleaning/sanitizing, making priming solutions, etc.) in fine detail. There are a lot of useful tables, and it's typeset nicely (2-column layout, with good use of call-out boxes and bold/italicized text), but there are few (any?) image ...more
Jacob
Jan 06, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cooking-and-beer
Most people seem to have learned to brew through friends and Papazian's The Joy of Homebrewing. Me, I didn't have easy access to friends who brewed or Papazian's book, but I did pick this book up very early in my brewing history. I wouldn't recommend any other book for starting or even moderately experienced brewers. It's a goldmine of good brewing informaton and it's organized in a way that even if you don't read the whole thing, you'll easily find the tidbits you need to get started, troublesh ...more
Bryant
Mar 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
To me, one of the best resources for the home brewer. There is a ton of information that starts at a very beginning level, and moves up to a more advanced level for people moving from extract to whole grain brewing. There are a lot of collected recipes in almost every style, and they really try to get a range of difficulty for the recipes as well. My copy is battered, beaten, torn, and stained, but still used nearly every time I brew. Helped me become the brewer I am today
Elliott Wolfson
Jun 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: brewing
Excellent resource for new brewers.
There are many great recipes for amateur brewers and solid resources for more advanced techniques.

The Maryland Style IPA is good and the oak chips are interesting especially after a short aging period. It's not as good of an IPA as simply dry hopping.

The Fire Breathing Stout is one of the best extract brews I have had. Similar but richer and more burnt than LIONS STOUT.
Andrew Bell
Mar 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: homebrewing
Overall a very useful book (I actually have two copies of it). It describes good brewing methods, has some very insightful tables and charts. It digs deep into the history of styles and what makes them unique. It also has hundreds of pages of recipes. The information though is somewhat dated (both ingredient charts and recipes). A lot has changed in craft brewing (both on the home level and the commercial level) since 1997, and this book shows its age. Otherwise it is a great resource.
Joel
Sep 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Nowhere near as good as How To Brew, but still a nice resource with quality photographs and approachable writing.
Pam
Feb 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This is an excellent resource for those interested in brewing their own beer. It's got a ton of information on the process, grains, hops, adjuncts, water quality, equipment, etc., and it has a large selection of recipes as well.
Rich Rosell
Dec 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I've read all of the detailed info here on beer, its history, homebrew, ingredients and beer styles, which is the first 100+pages. The rest of this big book is recipes, and I will be using this as a reference and source going forward for some great homebrew ideas...
Jason
Oct 08, 2009 rated it really liked it
this book has tons of different styled recipes.. i cant wait to try some of these....

Sam
Feb 10, 2014 rated it liked it
I can't say I've read all 400 pages because 90% of this book is receipes, but it's been read.
Gregg
Aug 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing
The best beginner/intermediate brewing book.
John
May 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing
A must read for those engaged in the most holy of pursuits... brewing beer.
Ronald Smith
Jan 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great book. Very detailed and relevant for many experience levels. The version I read is 20 years old, so it is a bit dated, but still very useful.
Paul
Feb 28, 2011 is currently reading it
Since I've been brewing a lot of beer lately, I've been studying up from this book.
Jeremi
Feb 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: aspiring brewers
Great book on brewing techniques with many recipes.
tgrantl
Apr 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
A worthy reference. The Internet age makes the book less valuable as a recipe source, but the formulas, charts, background, and glossary are very useful.
Don

• Designing Great Beers: The Ultimate Guide to Brewing Classic Beer Styles
  • The Complete Joy of Homebrewing
  • CloneBrews: Homebrew Recipes for 150 Commercial Beers
  • Michael Jackson's Great Beers of Belgium
  • The Homebrewer's Garden: How to Easily Grow, Prepare, and Use Your Own Hops, Malts, Brewing Herbs
  • Brew Like a Monk: Trappist, Abbey, and Strong Belgian Ales and How to Brew Them
  • Radical Brewing: Recipes, Tales and World-Altering Meditations in a Glass
  • Yeast: The Practical Guide to Beer Fermentation
  • Homebrewing For Dummies
  • Beer School: Bottling Success at the Brooklyn Brewery
  • Malt: A Practical Guide from Field to Brewhouse
  • The Craft of Stone Brewing Co.: Liquid Lore, Epic Recipes, and Unabashed Arrogance
  • Ambitious Brew