Start by marking “On The Gathering Storm” as Want to Read:
On The Gathering Storm

On The Gathering Storm

3.93  ·  Rating details ·  72 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
At 29, Hannah Garretty is pursuing her lifelong dream of being a paid photographer. But in a curl of circumstance, she's snatched from her bohemian life on the island and vanishes into a forest lair where unspeakable things have happened...and will continue to happen. As Hannah grapples with her captivity and the knowledge bestowed upon her by a special gift, we catch glim ...more
Paperback, 1st Edition, 169 pages
Published May 25th 2010 by CreateSpace

To ask other readers questions about On The Gathering Storm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about On The Gathering Storm

Stephen
May 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
An insidiously blood-chilling but highly literate novel that bravely takes the path less travelled by...and it makes all the difference between “run of the mill” and truly special. This one stamped itself on my memory.

From a plot perspective, this is a fairly typical “random traffic encounter leads to sadistic psycho abducting heroine leading to a trauma-fest and life-changing survival-story” story, as exemplified by this gut-clencher from Mr. Mean Man:
‘Here are the rules,’ he says, ‘You try
Lou
Oct 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: feb-list, thriller, horror
A taunt, gripping, visceral story of survival of the most degrading kind for a human. The story is written well and a real page-turning cycle of struggle for a human soul. This is my first read from this author and he can really write and place you into the thick of it he can knock the socks of alot of the so-called best reads out there. I am going to check out his short stories and Jason is one to watch as his novels hit more audiences.(adult content in the story)
Review also appears here.
Jason McIntyre
Aug 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: my-books
From Lisa B at Smashwords: excellent read! this is a slow burn book at first. comes on like the heat of an august day and then breaks like a violent thunderstorm...
Ann Mauren
Dec 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing
At first glance, Hannah Garretty seems like a girl who’s got it all: she’s a head-turning beauty with a good job, great friends, and a particularly talented eye for photography. But there’s a flip side: she’s also got a crowded closet full of skeletons from her past and a frightening precognitive ability that fills her mind with a quick still frame-style glimpse of something yet to happen.

It’s one of these ‘Grasps’ that sets her on a path to save a young woman from terrible danger. Instead, she
Darcia Helle
Brutal. Disturbing. Engaging. Gripping. Moving. This book kept me up all night. First, because I had to finish it. Then because I couldn't shake it off.

Jason McIntyre doesn't tell a story. He steps out of the way and allows his characters to bring you into their world. Use caution when reading this one, however, as the characters might not allow you back out.
Nina-Marie Gardner
Mar 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I love dark books, generally the more uncomfortable and unsettling the better - and On The Gathering Storm was there in spades. The story crept on me slowly, it was haunting, riveting - and (this is just a particular thing with me) I am always in awe of men who can write so seamlessly from a woman's perspective (and vice versa.)
Al Boudreau
Mar 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Jason C. McIntyre's, On The Gathering Storm, is a story in which the reader quickly becomes privy to what can happen when our wildest nightmares come to life. Suspense novels can sometimes seem contrived, with authors trying too hard to rattle our cages and throw us off balance. McIntyre rattled the cage so hard, and with such bold strokes, I was knocked down for long, ominous stretches then dragged inside a world in which sick and twisted individuals with broken minds hide in the periphery. McI ...more
Giovanni Gelati
Aug 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Hello to everyone and thanks for checking with us on our second Self-Published Sunday. I can only thank my OCD for having different titles for different days of the week. I struggle still with at least four days of the week, but I think that conundrum will be solved soon. Anyway, we have featured self-published authors in the past and since the very beginning of our blog oh those many days and novels ago. Things have changed and morphed as things do as one finds their way in the dark, plodding ...more
EZRead eBookstore
Nov 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jenifer-reviews
Jason McIntyre has something of a large indie following on sites like Smashwords and Goodreads, both of which I prowl regularly. There’s something romantic about a cult following for an independent author in a publishing world always aiming for the next popcorn blockbuster movie deal. Sometimes “big” books seem like extended scripts, and more work lacks the kind of writing that doesn’t transfer onto the big screen. Fight the power! I chose “On the Gathering Storm” because as McIntyre’s debut, it ...more
Charlie
Sep 18, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommended to Charlie by: submitted for review
Shelves: indie
The story is chalk full of vivid descriptions that are carefully constructed to forge a lasting impression. When you close your eyes, you will likely be haunted by Hannah’s ordeal and the events of her life. What makes the story even more frightening is Hannah is a character that an everyday girl can relate to. She becomes as recognizable as a friend, a sister or a girl from work. Since I live in the Pacific Northwest, I am familiar with the setting (Canada) that is described. I could easily vis ...more
Tim
Aug 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
Well it is definetely not hard to see why this novel has garnered such great reviews on here. With so many real life stories of situations very similar to the novel coming out in the last decade, it lends a much more real and sinister air to the book because this could happen to anyone.

I think Hannah was such an excellent and well rounded character, and without giving anything away those flashback scenes whilst in captivity made her all the more solid and gave me a greater understanding as to ho
Jena
Mar 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
Horrific, intense, magnetic!

'On the Gathering Storm' is an all-too-real tale of terror, abduction, and one woman's will to survive. Jason Mcintyre's portrayal of Hannah Garretty is so compelling, that it's impossible to stop reading her story, even as the horrific scenes made me wish I'd never opened the book. Hannah becomes a real person, not just a character in a novel, and it's this facet of Mcintyre's craftsmanship that kept me turning the pages.

The first few chapters seem a bit slow and ove
Kimberly McMichael
Mar 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I found this story to have all the elements of a fabulous read.
The characters are believable, and real. Scary Real!
The Story could happen to anyone, and has happened to many unfortunate women (and yes sometimes men) It is a story of survival,of finding inner strength and courage when all seems lost…McIntyre’s ability to make you feel every nuance of the story is uncanny and I’m sure someday soon will be legendary. I found the ending to be spot on, not too much or too little. You will enjoy this
Tressa
I had high expectations for this book, but it fell flat for me. Normally I appreciate how an author builds up a character by giving background on his/her life, but this book annoyed me by flashing back to the past too often and didn't dwell on the present enough. Unlike, say, Gonzalez's Survivor, I didn't get a feel for the terrifying things happening to the victim, and I didn't feel the anxiousness about her kidnapped situation as I've felt in books with a similar plot. There were times I felt ...more
Sharon
Mar 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shame I missed it as a freebie but for £2.15 I'm not complaining as it was a great read.

Very atmospheric and scary, suspense thriller.

I had to keep reminding myself that this was a male author as I really felt the characters of Hannah and Dirty Hair Girl during their horrific ordeal were truly believable. I didn't think a man could write with such empathy about this kind of subject nor be believable.

I will certainly read more from this author.
Sheri
Oct 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
On The Gathering Storm (Jason McInytre)

Hannah Garretty is a photographer with big dreams. One day she gets into an auto accident. She gets the address of the other driver and decides to go to the house to make things right with the driver. That was her biggest mistake. She finds herself walking into a nightmare. Her life is at stake and she must use every ounce of energy and sanity to stay alive.

Well Written with vivid detail, Jason McIntyre brings us into Hannahs world where you feel as if you
Gail Baugniet
Feb 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Hannah Garrity has a precognitive ability that reminds me of the plot in Tom Cruise's Minority Report. Nothing good ever seems to come of possessing this ability.

In Hannah's case, it leads her into a dangerous situation when she tries to help a young girl she believes is in trouble. Graphic language describes a prolonged ordeal, peppered with many flashbacks of Hannah's life.

Jason McIntyre's realistic writing style is unsettling to read at times. The story's antagonist lacks any redeeming quali
Jeannie Walker
Mar 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A Five Star Riveting and Challenging Read

Jason McIntyre has written this chilling tale giving readers a vivid picture with explicit detail. Hannah Garretty is a stunning and beautiful girl with a great job, great friends and with a great talent for photography. Yet, she has a harrowing past with many demons. She struggles with painful memories of being victimized but refuses to be a victim and ultimately becomes a victor.

I can’t say “On The Gathering Storm” is an easy read, it is sometimes chal
Morgan Shamy
Feb 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
On Gathering Storm was quite the unexpected ride. I didn't expect to be so drawn into the story the way I was. Hooking, haunting, and addicting.

The author has a very distinct style that's refreshing and worked well with the story. He has a talent with putting us in Hannah's head, feeling and experiencing the horror through her eyes. I was completely immersed to the point that I felt everything Hannah felt, both the physical and emotional.

The story propelled forward in ways I didn't expect. Fas
Janice
Dec 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
I found this story entertaining and suspenseful, but very dark. I found it very disturbing what happened to Hannah, especially being detailed by a male author. The ending caught me by surprise, as it was not the usual happily ever after. I am interested to read more books by Jason McIntyre to understand what traits are carried into his future books.
Heidi R.
Apr 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is the first book I've read by Jason McIntyre. On the Gathering Storm is a dark, dark thriller. I was riveted by the story and will be reading more by this author.
Xtina Marie
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow.

After finishing every Dovetail Cove novella that's been released in break neck speed, I wasn't ready to depart from McIntyre's writing. And wow did he wow me with On the Gathering Storm. The cast of characters is so colorful, so multi-dimensional- they become real people. Much of this book I spent either white knuckling my kindle, or holding my hand up in front of it so as to not try to skip ahead. The tension had my eyes wide as saucers and I couldn't put it down until it was late and I co
Jenny Conatser
Mar 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Apex Reviews
Dec 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
There is nothing average about Hannah Garretty. She’s beautiful, she’s talented, she’s got a great job--and she has a closet full of skeletons and a striking supernatural gift.

From the first page of On The Gathering Storm, Jason McIntyre’s psychological thriller, we’re entangled in the mind of 29-year-old Hannah Garrety, who has since childhood had the ability--or, perhaps, the curse--to see fractured glimpses of the future. It is one such glimpse that lands Hannah in a terrifying survival situ
Susan
May 20, 2014 rated it it was ok
Pamela Stallings
Our main character Hannah is a up and coming photographer that seems to live a pretty good life. She has a bright future ahead of her, lives with some crazy roommates that she loves but things aren't always as they seem. In the blink of an eye everything gets ripped away from her and she finds herself fighting for her life. Will Hannah make it out alive???

There's one word that describes Hannah to me... SURVIVOR. I loved her character, she felt so real like someone I'd be best friends with. This
Stacey
Jul 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
My favorite books are the ones that hook me on the first page. Actually, those are the only ones I read. On the Gathering Storm was a must-read for me by the time I got to the end of the first chapter. I finished this book in two days because I had to know what happens next. Ironically, this novel about a kidnapping took me hostage and I only got away because I got to the last page.

What’s great about it? It reminds me of Stephen King’s solitary novels – the ones where the hero is essentially alo
Nathan Henrion
Aug 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
Good first novel by Jason, who I met in the blog world, and picked up his work at Smashwords. I liked the setting, and the Sisterhood storytelling that we went after. Coming from a guy, that takes balls...eh...yeah.

My reservation about the book is that it is narrated in the present tense. Perhaps it is just me, but I found this to be really cumbersome, as if my mind just couldn't get moving with it. I think it would be a much stronger work if the tense was changed. That may be a stupid comment,
Deborah
Feb 05, 2011 rated it liked it
I purchased this book to read on my Kindle because the proceeds would be going to a charity for abused women and children. It was a quick read. I can't make up my mind how I feel about this book. Sometimes I was enthralled with it and sometimes found it boring. I may come back and edit this review after I've thought about it some more. I do have to say the author described Hannah's menstrual cramps quite accurately. I felt them along with her!
Kelly Stewart
Jan 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
What a novel! And the author's first novel at that! I could not put this book down and finished it in less than a day. There is very little dialog with 90% of it taking place in the main character's head. Usually, I don't care for books like that (I prefer fast-paced dialog), but this is the exception. Amazing!
« previous 1 3 next »
  • The Games Men Play
  • B-Sides and Broken Hearts
  • Revisions of Goodloe Byron
  • The Dream
  • Teeth (The South Pacific Trilogy #1)
  • What Came First?
  • The Black Phone
  • The Gentling Box
  • Dismember
  • Digger's Bones
  • Creatus Eidolon (Creatus, #3)
JASON MCINTYRE is the #1 Kindle Suspense author of THE NIGHT WALK MEN, bestsellers ON THE GATHERING STORM and SHED, plus the multi-layered literary suspense THALO BLUE. His short fiction has appeared in numerous magazines and won several awards.

His debut novel ON THE GATHERING STORM earned McIntyre a spot in the Top 20 Debut Authors for the Goodreads Choice Awards.

THE DEVIL'S RIGHT HAND is the lat
More about Jason McIntyre

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• The Bricklayer (Steve Vail, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Among the Wicked (Kate Burkholder #8)
  • The Snow Garden
  • Breath of Malice
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Almost Dead (Lizzy Gardner #5)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Fatal Frost (Dewberry Farm Mysteries, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Remains of Innocence (Joanna Brady, #16)
  • Outfoxed
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Huntress Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Last Witness (C.J. Townsend Thriller)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dead Weight (Lizzy Gardner #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Weekend Warriors (Sisterhood)
    $5.99 $0.99
  • The Lullaby Girl (Angie Pallorino, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Eye for an Eye (Dewey Andreas, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Short Drop (Gibson Vaughn, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bridged (Callahan & McLane, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • You Only Live Twice (James Bond, #12)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Thunderball (James Bond, #9)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Casino Royale (James Bond, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Live and Let Die (James Bond, #2)
  • Dr. No
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Moonraker (James Bond, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Diamonds are Forever (James Bond)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Spy Who Loved Me (James Bond, #10)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • From Russia With Love (James Bond, #5)
  • The Blinds
  • Little Boy Lost
  • Blonde Faith
  • Flush
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Deadly Business
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Private Justice (Newpointe 911, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Cutting Room (C.J. Townsend Thriller Book 3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • First to Kill (Nathan McBride, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • In the Barren Ground
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Blood Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Lie In Wait (Canaan Crime #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Legacy
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Her Final Breath (Tracy Crosswhite, #2)
  • The Taxidermist's Daughter
    $7.74 $1.99
  • Depraved Heart (Kay Scarpetta, #23)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Standing in Another Man's Grave (Inspector Rebus, #18)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • In the Clearing (Tracy Crosswhite, #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Cop Hater (87th Precinct, #1)
  • The Jekyll Revelation
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Truth Be Told (Rogue Justice #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Book of Beloved
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Merciful Death (Mercy Kilpatrick #1)
  • Afterlife
  • The Vines
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Obsessed (Lizzy Gardner #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • River's Edge (Cape Refuge Series, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Known (Bone Secrets, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Pedigree To Die For (A Melanie Travis Mystery Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Vanished (Callahan & McLane #1)
  • Tell the Truth, Shame the Devil
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Hidden (Bone Secrets, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kane and Abel (Kane and Abel, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Bone Music (Burning Girl, #1)
  • In the Blue Hour
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Cold Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #3)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Stirred (Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels #8)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Raven Black (Shetland Island, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Trapped Girl (Tracy Crosswhite, #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Neon Lawyer (Brigham Theodore, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Coyote Waits (Navajo Mysteries, #10)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Sinister Pig (Navajo Mysteries, #16)
    $9.74 $1.99
  • The Kept Woman (Will Trent #8)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Claiming Felicity (Ace Security, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Snowblind (Dark Iceland #1)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • All the Beautiful Brides (Graveyard Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bitter Medicine (V.I. Warshawski, #4)
    $8.49 $1.99
  • A Merciful Truth (Mercy Kilpatrick, #2)
  • Playing Dead
  • Look Behind You
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Where the Memories Lie
    $4.99 $1.99
  • White Nights (Shetland Island, #2)
  • Nineteen Seventy Four
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Close to Home (Tracy Crosswhite, #5)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Fields of Wrath (Luis Chavez, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Three (Codename: Chandler, #3)
  • The Hollow Men: A Novel
    $15.95 $1.99
  • What She Doesn't Know
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Pope of Palm Beach: A Novel (Serge Storms)
  • Ancestor
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Night Bird (Frost Easton, #1)
  • Flood (Burke, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Binary
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Case of Need
  • Easy Go
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Pretty Little Killers (The Keepers #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The House of Memory (Pluto's Snitch #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Evil Never Dies (Lizzy Gardner, #6)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Twisted Root (William Monk, #10)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Red Road (Alex Morrow #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Last Detective (Peter Diamond, #1)
  • Darkness, My Old Friend
  • Retribution
  • Duplicity
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Widowmaker (Mike Bowditch #7)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Bones Don't Lie (Morgan Dane #3)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Remember Me Like This
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Penance
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Cold Harbor (Gibson Vaughn, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • On Her Majesty's Secret Service (James Bond, #11)
  • Neighborly
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Targeted (Callahan & McLane, #4)
  • The Drowning