Start by marking “Overexposed: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Overexposed: A Novel

Overexposed: A Novel

2.95  ·  Rating details ·  113 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Edgy Manhattan shutterbug Rachel Solomon can't wait to escape her difficult Midwestern Jewish family of doctors—and her crazy, condescending WASP friend and photography mentor, Elizabeth Mann. Not so easy when Elizabeth marries Rachel's surgeon-brother, moves to the Midwest, and becomes the daughter Rachel's mother always wanted—one who pops out four babies in a row, who a ...more
Published August 3rd 2010 by Thomas Dunne Books

To ask other readers questions about Overexposed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Overexposed

Sep 30, 2010 rated it liked it
I ate this book up. It was well written and had a good pace. I'm not usually into books like this, but for whatever reason I decided to give it a try and it was worth it. It didn't have an incredibly cliche ending which was great.

I don't understand what Ricky sees in Elizabeth. I would have stopped being friends with her long ago. I also don't understand her revelation at the end that she doesn't spend enough time with her family. It seems that she's spending the time she can and when she does
Amy
Oct 17, 2010 rated it liked it
I'm giving it 4 stars for humor and well-drawn characters. But I'm giving it 2 stars for plot arc. Seriously, if I wanted to spend this much time hearing someone talk about a toxic relationship when there's never a big climax or a resolution to the story, well, I've got plenty of friends I can call up for that. Is it weird to condemn a book for being TOO much like real life? (Complain, complain, complain, no one ever confronts anybody, nothing ever really happens or changes, complain, complain)
Chivon
Aug 01, 2011 rated it liked it
This was a cute little book. I like the span of time that this story took you through and how it followed the dynamic of two friends Elizabeth and Ricky.

I enjoyed Ricky' character, she was a sweet girl who was intent on following her dreams and she made it.

I love her sarcasm... Very decent book.
Alice
May 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
I finally connected to the story after 4 or more chapters. It's title sure is appropriate. Main characters Rachel Solomon aka Nicky Solo and Elizabeth Mann create a twist and turn relationship. Life in a Jewish family, with "is there a doctor in the house". Read the book
Ali
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf
dnf . I just have too many other things to read and I couldn't get into it
Tracy
Jun 24, 2012 rated it it was ok
I only sort of liked her other fiction book which I reviewed in the last week or two. I've gotten through about 80 pages and I'm not enjoying it. I don't have much else to read so I might just keep on. It's about a photographer who moves to NY and becomes friends with someone who eventually seems to take her place in her family by marrying her brother.
Louise Silk
Jun 04, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction
I wanted to read this book because the author is a writing instructor and I had hoped to see a quality piece of writing. It's not.

The best part of the book is the author's ability to write dialogue but after that there is nothing redeeming of note. The characters are insipid and shallow. The plot is boring and uneventful. I can't think of one reason to waste your time with this.
Michelle
May 10, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was my first attempt at reading a book in the humour genre. I was bitterly disappointed. I didn't laugh, but worse, I didn't relate. Maybe it is because I can't relate to the strong Jewish ties in the book, but I think the protagonist was too narcissistic to enjoy and every character seemed a caricature of reality.
Lisa
Aug 15, 2010 rated it it was ok
I've really enjoyed Susan Shapiro's memoirs. She can be very funny, engaging and observant. For this reason, I found Overexposed disappointing. The pettiness and endless nattering of the main character was tiresome.
Manda
Sep 03, 2013 rated it it was ok
Pretty much every character in this book was unlikeable! It made it really hard to find somebody to root for. On the other hand, this book was a quick and easy read.
Rhonda
Oct 03, 2011 added it
Very good fast reading
Madge
Feb 22, 2015 rated it liked it
I liked it but not as much as some of her other works. A good beach read but not sure that is what the author was going for.
Christian
Jul 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Two thumbs up. Just a good solid story.
Tori
2010- Ugh. I really didn't care for this book, and I felt too much of the plot was revealed on the inside cover.
Fuschia
Dec 21, 2010 rated it it was ok
Not sure why I bothered to finish this one, pretty lame.
Allison S
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Hold Love Strong
  • Brass Ankle Blues: A Novel
  • All of Me: A Voluptuous Tale
  • Of Blood and Sorrow (Tamara Hayle, #8)
  • The Queen of Harlem: A Novel
  • Blacker Than a Thousand Midnights
  • Starlit
  • Neecey's Lullaby: A novel
  • Indiana, Indiana
  • Just One Taste (Recipe for Love #3)
  • Leftovers