Start by marking “The Adventures of Mark Twain by Huckleberry Finn” as Want to Read:
The Adventures of Mark Twain by Huckleberry Finn

The Adventures of Mark Twain by Huckleberry Finn

Everyone knows the story of the raft on the Mississippi and that ol' whitewashed fence, but now it’s time for youngins everywhere to get right acquainted with the man behind the pen. Mr. Mark Twain! An interesting character, he was...even if he did sometimes get all gussied up in linen suits and even if he did make it rich and live in a house with so many tiers and gazebos ...more
Published March 8th 2011 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Adventures of Mark Twain by Huckleberry Finn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Adventures of Mark Twain by Huckleberry Finn

Start your review of The Adventures of Mark Twain by Huckleberry Finn
Kathy Davie
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A standalone biography about Mark Twain as told by Huckleberry Finn.

My Take
Now this would be a handy tome for you writers wantin’ to write dialect for your characters. You can hear Huck’s larnin’ and status so easily through his speech.

Be sure to explore the front endpapers with all those ink sketches of times in Twain’s life. The kids will adore all those splotches! And the “Warning to the Reader” page is quite handy to explore the use of dialect with the kids…if you can figger it out from the
Clare Cannon
Aug 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 04-8yrs, 08-12yrs
A picture book about Mark Twain's life, with plenty to say to older readers too. The younger ones will need it read aloud on account of Huck's English, there are some real tongue-twisters here. Told completely in character by Huck Finn himself, it will spark interest in Huck's own story and perhaps lead readers to look on the art of writing in a new light.
Andrew
Join Twain's own, Huckleberry Finn, as he regales us with the life and times of his creator, Mark Twain, aka Samuel Clements.
It is a very good tale. Finn uses his own personality and "slang" to show off the life of the legendary author in this fun engaging biography.

The illustrations are big and colorful.
The only downside is that Huck's dialect accent may prove challenging for some less-experienced readers who may not quite understand how to read aloud his speech.

However, I will say, ANY of
Elisabeth
May 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
Clever take on biography. I totally think they should turn this into a series: I personally would love to read "The RD by the BFG"
Shelli
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Want to know why I love homeschooling so much?? Books like this! This adorable quick read about Mark Twain, a.k.a Samuel Clemens, is one of the numerous small and not so small reads we will pick up on this author before finally getting down to reading his classic tale, The Adventures of Tom Sawyer. Seriously, those who doubt the importance of picture books of all ages need to come for a bit of school here and see what they are missing. I know my daughter and I both walk away with such a deep ...more
Liliya Rubanenko
Dec 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography
Biography of Mark Twain's life told from the perspective of his character, Huckleberry Finn. Creative way to tell the story of Mark Twain's life. It's written exactly the way Huck speaks making it humorous and captivating. I would use this in the classroom to teach about Mark Twain's life.

Genre: Biography
Copyright: 2011
Bozhena Levine
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love this biography of Mark Twain (Sam Clemens) written by Huck Finn, one of Mark Twain’s iconic characters. I really enjoyed the language of Deep South in the late 1800s employed all through the book as well as a healthy dose of humor.
Cheryl Schibley
May 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
I didn't read this book until I was well into adulthood. It's Mark Twain's commentary on slavery, religion and 19th century society. Really great read.
David
Nov 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
The Adventures of Mark Twain by Huckleberry Finn by Robert Burleigh, illustrated by Barry Blitt is a presentation of the life of Mark Twain, including his folksey humor as presented by his most famous character.

Huck tells this story 'cause he feels he knowed Twain as well if not better than most: havin' floated down the same river, climbed the same hills and played in the same woods. Twain ain't even his real name - it was Samuel Clemens. After Sam's Pap died, he growed up fast, learnin' the
Tami
Mar 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
The Adventures of Mark Twain as told by one his most famous characters, Huckleberry Finn, is a brilliant biography. It is in picture book format, making it inviting to elementary grade readers.

Huckleberry Finn narrates his version of Mark Twain’s life in his distinctive voice (for which the authors prepare the reader in a short introduction). Huck immediately establishes a relaxed rapport with his readers by confiding that “this ain’t intendin’ to be no windy bioografy.”[sic] Rather than
Beth
Originally reviewed at A Foodie Bibliophile in Wanderlust

This biography of Mark Twain is not like any other biography you'll ever read. It is told from the point-of-view of Twain's most famous fictional character, Huckleberry Finn. Narrated in Huck's distinctive, unlearned voice, this book is sure to surprise and delight big kids and little kids alike. I might be so bold as to say that I don't think I've enjoyed a piece of nonfiction text more than this one. I spent most of my time reading this
Katie Fitzgerald
Subject
Mark Twain (1835-1910), born Samuel Clemens, was an American author and humorist.

Scope
In the voice of Huckleberry Finn, this book tells the story of Samuel Clemens from his being "born excited," to when he was eleven years old and his "Pap up and died." It covers his time as a steamboat captain and his failure at "soldierin'" and "hammerin' rock" during the Civil War that led to his job as a newspaper reporter. Finally, it discusses his marriage, the writing of his books, and the sad end
Earl
Jun 29, 2014 rated it liked it
Mark Twain became a hugely celebrated public figure for his incredible way with words, using them not only to make people laugh- which he did so successfully- but also to explore/expose certain faults of American society. His private life was full of one heartbreaking loss after another and a rollercoaster ride of triumphs and failures. I was just in awe of the way he lived his life and the talent- especially his wit- that I can only wish to fraction of. He was an amazing man and I think ...more
David
May 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
I thought this was a fantastic picture book about the life of Mark Twain in the voice by one of his most prominent character, Huckleberry Finn. It was evident to tell based on what Huck was saying that a lot of Twain's beliefs about life were really emphasized through Huckleberry Finn in the novel, "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn."

The real author of the novel did so great imitating Huck's voice and narrating the events of Twain's life that I started thinking how fun of an assignment it
Shaundell
Huckleberry Finn is one of Mark Twain’s most famous characters; now it’s Huck’s turn to write about Mr. Mark Twain (or Samuel Clemens). Using his drawl, Huck tells about Sam’s life as a boy growing up on the Mississippi River, his experiences as a steamboat captain, how he became a writer in Nevada, his famous stage performances, and finally his marriage, his house, and his last few years.

Mr. Burleigh livened up the text by writing in the drawl, like I mentioned earlier, as well as spicing it
Barbara
Jun 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ncbla
Turn about is fair play, and in this picture book biography the character created by author Mark Twain tells Twain's story. He covers briefly the life, times, and influences on an author whose books have become considered American classics. There is much to like about this book including the narrator's voice and authentic vocabulary as well as the endpapers with important bits from Twain's life and the clever use of fonts throughout the book. A Warning to the Reader lets readers know that there ...more
Angie
Dec 27, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: juvenile-non-fic
Love the pictures and even learned a few new things about his life (like the name Mark Twain comes from riverboats testing the depth of the waters ahead).

I may come back and change this to a four. I just can't help but think the dialect ... while interesting and true to the style of many of Mark Twain's stories ... is going to be a stumbling block for many kiddos. I could be wrong ... but I know, for example, they get very confused with some of the anachronisms in Bubba, The Cowboy Prince. Even
Christina
Oct 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
It's been a while since I've read The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, but reading this biography of author Mark Twain as narrated by Huck, I feel like I've just reread that classic. This book is fun! The main points of Mark Twain's life and career are told by the irascible boy himself, in his country folksy dialect, all "I reckon"s and so forth. It's just adorable, and a clever twist on a biography, to have the author's most famous character tell the tale. The illustrations are great too, ...more
Nielson
Written in the voice and style of one of Mark Twain's most famous characters, Huck Finn, this biography is unique and interesting. Huck Finn takes us from the early years of Samuel Clemens (alias, Mark Twain)playing in the Mississippi river to his later years of Steamboat pilot, public speaker, and author extraordinaire.
The fact that this book is written in the voice of Huck Finn gives it such an authentic feel. Readers are able to see the parallels between the lives of Twain and Finn. This was
Deborah
Apr 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Really fun turn around: the character writing the story of his author's life. The tone and voice match Huck Finn, and the book has clever formatting such as the warning to the reader. I liked the voice and the choice of content, including a timeline in the end (because Huck left so many specific dates out of the content of the book). Still the basics of Twain's life are covered, and nice details, including some quotes, are sprinkled throughout. There's a little tone of how Huck felt about ...more
Marcie
Nov 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Marcie by: Deborah Stevenson U of Illinois
Might make a great biography break book with practice reading aloud. I love the title page and Introduction (aka Warning to the Reader). Kids will love the humor of the illustrations. I can see reading it aloud with a document camera allowing lots of think aloud about the text formats.

Favorite Quote "By and by Sam became a newspaper reporter. And a right good one too. When the news was thick, he writ it. And when there warn't any news, wel, Sam told some real stretchers!"

Might be interesting to
Melissa
I didn't really like seeing Huck on every page at first, but I came around to it since Huck's voice is so critical to the text that I figured it was appropriate to have Huck's image be critical to the pictures. I also appreciated how Huck telegraphed some of the emotion of the text to the readers. The book does convey the outlines & highlights of Mark Twain's life as well as some of his character and personality as well, but ultimately this wasn't my book, either in voice or illustrations.
Samantha
Jun 06, 2011 rated it did not like it
I think that this book is only going to appeal to adults. The text, written in dialect, is not going to be an easy read for young kids. I found it hard to follow at times myself! I noticed the professional reviews seem to have a lot of disagreement over what age range this book is appropriate for. Some say 2nd-5th grade, others say ages 10 and up. I can't see a second grader enjoying this book. I think Barbara Kerley's biography that came out last year was much better.
Tisha
Aug 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Loved reading this with my two boys! It was really easy to read aloud, especially with a bit of a drawl (wonder if this could be a Forensics piece for middle school... hmmm). Took the kids a bit to understand some of the vocabulary (even with the brilliant introduction). The illustrations are charming and funny too. Great pick from Opa!
Karen Arendt
A lighthearted look at the life of Mark Twain as told by one of his literary characters, Huckleberry. The language is true to Mark Twain's style of writing with an explanation by the "editor's" at the beginning of the book explaining the language and how to understand the writer. Huckleberry spends some time apologizing for his narration, but overall a nice introduction to who Mark Twain was.
Judy Desetti
A Must Buy...

Good read aloud for older students 4th- 8th grade about the life and adventures of Mark Twain as told by Huckleberry Finn in his own voice. Spelling and grammar is in dialect so students will have to bear with it if reading independently.

Looking forward to using this with students.

not for BMJ list.
Alicia
Aug 06, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s-books
It was engaging to read a story about Mark Twain as written by Huck Finn. Great idea! But very short on detail. This picture-style book took only about 15 minutes to read, and while the illustrations were fun, it didn't offer very much information. Good for a general introduction to Twain, but not one for quoting in any sort of research paper.
Sandy
Jun 01, 2011 rated it liked it
It's a cool idea, and it's exectured pretty well. I actually really liked the Twain-style language used here. The illustrations just aren't doing it for me though. I find the giant caricitured Huck Finn kind of obnoxious as he distracts heavily from Twain.
Joan Marie
Jan 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Cleverly written biography of Samuel Clemens by one of his own characters, Huck Finn, aka Robert Burleigh. Great resource for teachers to use when reading The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. The slang and all are smack dab on the bull's eye.
Stacy Ford
Jul 22, 2012 rated it liked it
Over the past 35 years, I have published poems, reviews, essays, many filmstrips and videos, and more than 40 children's picture books.

Born and raised in Chicago, I graduated from DePauw University (Greencastle, Indiana) and later received an MA in humanities from the University of Chicago. I've published books for children since the early 1990s. My books - including numerous unpublished ones! -