Start by marking “A Spell for the Revolution (Traitor to the Crown, #2)” as Want to Read:
A Spell for the Revolution (Traitor to the Crown, #2)

A Spell for the Revolution (Traitor to the Crown #2)

3.54  ·  Rating details ·  169 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
After making early gains on the battlefields, General Washington's struggling young armies are being relentlessly pressed back by British troops and Hessian mercenaries. Among the enemy's ranks is a mysterious force from the Covenant, a secret society of evil witches that for centuries has been pulling the strings of European history: a Hessian necromancer who drinks the p ...more
Kindle Edition
Published (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about A Spell for the Revolution, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Spell for the Revolution

Sherwood Smith
No middle book slog here. Finlay starts off with a bang, and keeps that tension high to the last page. The stakes rise, the magic gets more interesting, and the secret history aspect made me grin.

I'll talk a little more about secret histories on my blog, but basically, Finlay does well by the famous figures and symbols. All he left me wanting was a brush with that fascinating pirate, Benedict Arnold. Maybe in the third book, which I wish was out right now.

The only creeb was with the copyeditor,
Rebecca
Aug 30, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, past-earth
A Spell for the Revolution is the second book in a series of American-Revolutionary-War historical fantasy. The series premise is that the witch hunts of Salem actually did target some people with special abilities, who were forced underground. Nearly a hundred years later, witches still persist in secret. The protagonist, Proctor Brown, is a young man trying to balance his service in the local militia (which is rapidly heading towards armed rebellion against the British troops) and his engageme ...more
Kristen
After really liking the first book in this series, I had high hopes for book two, but this book was a disappointment and I didn't finish it.

First off, Deborah increasingly irritated me as the book went along. She seemed to expect Proctor to somehow magically [no pun intended!] accomplish all the extreme objectives they set for themselves without breaking any of the rules she decided they needed to follow in order to be paragons of virtue. Maybe that would have been possible if they weren't in th
E.
Apr 25, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Spell for the Revolution (book two in the Traitor to the Crown series) picks up almost where The Patriot Witch leaves off--a year or so down the road, with the battle for freedom growing ever deeper and more desperate. Washington's troops are struggling, and it's not only the British they're fighting. The Covenant, a group of witches determined to have their way in this battle, is growing in power. Add to this, the powers of a Hessian necromancer, who has chained dead souls to the living. Proc ...more
Margaret Boling
7/6/12 ** This was a solid sequel to PATRIOT WITCH, though as I've spent more time in the world, I'm picking some things apart a bit.

Quibble #1: Proctor, Deborah & their allies are fighting against the Covenant, with good reason. I'm slightly perturbed by the sweeping generalization of good & evil magic correlated with the Patriots and British. The witches of the Covenant clearly practice a form of black magic that relies on the "death of innocents" to increase their power. Proctor, et a
Cindy
Mar 21, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, read-in-2010
This book suffers from a major middle book issue. Although there is action there are parts where this book just drags till no end. It felt like there was an overwhelming amount of description of camp life and added romance fluff to make this book longer.

With that said, I really enjoyed the setting and the magic starting to grow a bit. I know this book is essential to tying the first and third book together but I feel as though I could have done with a whole book on the ghosts of the camp and th
Mikel
This book was significantly better than the first book. The author really dug into his story line. There were still times where he added fluff, probably to add length, but they were fewer and further in-between.

There were conclusions to several of the story lines that had left the first book feeling so disorganized. The relationship Proctor has with his mother, or the lack there of, still rings as too unlikely. However, there's a better sense of the other of the characters role in the story.

Af
Joseph Teller
The second book of this series, this brings us to darker days of the American Revolution, and the main characters again running into the efforts of the Evil Covenant to thwart the Continental Army.

Overall a decent 'middle book' covering from where the last left off, and the various defeats/retreats of the Continental Army, until the famous Christmas Day victory that turns the tide of events for a while.

It slows a bit towards the middle, a common problem with books spanning this many pages to tel
Preston DuBose
Like the first book in the series, this fun read is an alternate history of the American Revolution involving a clandestine war between old world and new world witches. Even moreso than in the first book, C.C. Finlay weaves historical figures and battles in and out of the story. While not quite as gripping as the first book, it still held my interest enough for me to finish it in two or three days. It is definitely light reading.
Craig
Jun 19, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This second book in the series about witches involved in the Revolutionary War is another good one. Some of the dialog rings a little anachronistic in spots, but the interplay between the fictional and historical events and characters is terrific. I'm anxious to read the final volume to find out how it all plays out.
Shomeret
The type of magic practiced by the white witches in this novel is appropriate for 18th century America. I also liked the use of Tom Paine, my favorite Founding Father, in this novel. I am looking forward to reading the next book in the series.
Ellen
Mar 19, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent research is a highlight in this book, the second in a series in which magic plays a role in the American Revolution. But sometimes I wondered how many famous patriots our heroes would meet next... Nathan Hale, Thomas Paine, Betsy Ross etc.

But I enjoyed it nonetheless.
Geoff Schaeffer
Aug 14, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good entry in this series.
Lyn
Sep 29, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Creative blending of history and witchcraft
Karen Ziemkowski
Aug 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
I absolutely loved this book! It was action packed at every turn, and Proctor's scene as he crossed the Delaware River with George Washington was so powerful and filled me with emotion!
Chad
Oct 18, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Continued to tell a great tale with nice tie ins to actual historical events and persons.
Kim
Oct 31, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Just OK. Not great. Not bad. Just something to pass time with. Not as good as the first or third one.
Michael
Jul 19, 2012
Tim
May 09, 2009
Erika
rated it did not like it
Feb 03, 2011
Matt Scanlan
Jan 28, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Stalking the Vampire
  • Threads of Malice  (Dubric Bryerly, #2)
  • Jonathan Barrett, Gentleman Vampire (Jonathan Barrett, Gentleman Vampire #1-4)
  • The Rose of the World (Fool's Gold, #3)
  • Charmed Circle (A Cass Shipton Mystery, #2)
  • Irish Tales of Terror
  • The Old Weird South
  • The Blood Whisperer
  • Witches Incorporated (Rogue Agent, #2)
  • The Perilous Prophecy of Guard and Goddess (Strangely Beautiful, #3)
  • Old Maid's Puzzle (A Quilting Mystery, #2)
  • Himmler's War
  • Duke Elric (Chronicles of the Last Emperor of Melniboné, #4)
  • The Witch and the Priest
  • Ghosts & Echoes (Shadows Inquiries #2)
  • Demon Bait (Children of the Undying, #0.5)
  • Triumff: Her Majesty's Hero
  • The Witches of Jericho (Edenwitch #1)
Editor: The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction (fandsf.com).

Author: The Prodigal Troll, the Traitor to the Crown Series, and Wild Things, and dozens of short stories.

Awards: nominated for the John W. Campbell Award for Best New Writer (2003), the Hugo Award (2003, 2009), the Locus Award for Best Magazine (2016), the Nebula Award (2003, 2009), the Sidewise Award (2003) Sturgeon Award (2009)
More about C.C. Finlay...

Traitor to the Crown (3 books)
  • The Patriot Witch (Traitor to the Crown, #1)
  • The Demon Redcoat (Traitor to the Crown, #3)