Start by marking “Ella the Elegant Elephant” as Want to Read:
Ella the Elegant Elephant

Ella the Elegant Elephant

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  439 Ratings  ·  58 Reviews
Ella's counting the days until the first day of school ... but not because she's eager to start! On the contrary, as the littlest elephant on Elephant Island, she's terribly nervous about the other kids she'll meet. Then she receives a beautiful red hat that belonged to her grandmother -- her new lucky charm. Big mean Belinda at school teases her for it, calling her "Ella ...more
Published September 1st 2004 by Arthur A. Levine Books (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Ella the Elegant Elephant, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ella the Elegant Elephant

Carmen
Nov 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Children; Parents; Teachers
Somewhere in the great, wide Indian Ocean lie the Elephant Islands, hidden by a fog so thick that no human being has ever found them.

I find this highly doubtful. Also, this country looks like Turkey. Yeah, a lot like Turkey.

Turkey:

Elephant Islands:

Ella is nervous because she is the new kid.

So her mother suggested that she do something constructive, but Ella didn't know what.

"Well, there's still quite a bit of unpacking to do. Why don't you give me a hand while we wait for these cookies to cool?
7709julia
Apr 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
THIS BOOK IS MY CHILDHOOD. I found it on my shelf the other day, and immediately fell in love. It is about the struggles of ella, who goes to a new school and gets made fun of for her silly hat. It is a tale of grief, fitting in, being an outsider, and finally, acceptance. I highly recommend this book to anyone with a heart.
Viviane Elbee
Aug 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a longer picture book, but fans of elephants, fancy hats and a fun dose of magic would probably enjoy this book. Kids liked it.

It can also be used to discuss going to a new school, helping others, making friends and dangerous actions.
Kathryn
Oct 07, 2009 rated it liked it
I fell in love with the cover art! SO CUTE!!!!! It reminds me a bit of Joan Walsh Anglund's art elephant-style ;-> The illustrations are quite fun throughout. The story is a good one for kids new to school, or a new school, in that it encourages one to maintain their personality and goodness in the face of bullies and against the threat of "not fitting in." Alas, the writing style was really not all that special for me, but it was still a pleasant book all told.
Jessie Wilkens
Apr 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
Normally I would not add a children's book (normally I wouldn't read a children's book) but this was very cute and I want to remember it. This strikes me as something that would have been one of my favorites as a child.
Leyla
Nov 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Love it! Thank you Mrs Rhodes!!
Meredith Wright
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The main character Ella moves to a new town which made her nervous about making new friends. On the first day of school Ella wears her hat and she sticks out. A girl named Belinda Blue was very mean to her on the first day of school by tripping her and telling her that her hat was weird. The next day at school Belinda throws a ball on the roof and tried to get Ella to go get it, Ella says it’s too dangerous so Belinda goes to get it herself. Belinda ends up losing her balance and is about to fal ...more
Anna
Jul 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
What a cute book! The illustrations are so darn adorable. I love Ella the elegant elephant so much! She's shy, brave, and so cute.

Short summary about the story: [INCLUDES SPOILERS]

This is about a little cute elephant named Ella who moved into a new area and was nervous about going to a new school because she wasn't sure if the other elephants would like her and if she would make any friends. She wore this beautiful hat that she got from her grandma, but was made fun of because of how different
Pam
Mar 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Ella's family moves to a new place. While unpacking, Ella found a wonderful hat that was her grandmother's. She wears it on the first day of 1st grade and gets picked on by the largest girl in her class. Ella saves the day when the class bully gets in trouble and she rescues her.
Use to talk about feelings in new places and accepting those who like/wear things different than we expect.
Alison Whiteman
Jun 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a sweet story about being bullied for being different and then the classroom comes together to appreciate diversity, which in this story, means wearing different hats. I only wish this consistently worked. One day at a time, right, America?
Diana Thomsen
Mar 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kids, storytime
This book did not resonate with me. I started out liking it well enough (I really like the mother every time she shows up!), but I didn't find the whole incident at the school to work for me. Or maybe I'm just tired of reading books about bullies who turn out to be just misunderstood...
Layne Ficklin
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great! It is a good social emotional book.
Nick Yee
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: physical-copy
Beautiful narrative that hooked my focus
Bookworm's Nemesis
Mar 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars. Ella lives in a new place and starts a new school were she meets a bully. I really enjoyed reading this book to my daughter and what Ella does.
Shelley
Jun 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
My Rating:
4 stars!
Summary:
Ella is new to town and she is a little anxious about going to school and making friends. To make Ella feel better, Ella's mom gives her grandma's big wide brimmed red hat with flowers. Ella loves the hat so much she wears it everyday! But when Ella arrives at school, she stands out like a sore thumb, because everyone else is wearing school uniforms. Ella's hat sets her apart from her classmates, and she becomes bullied and taunted, being called "Ella the Elegant Elepha
Lindsey LaMonica
Mar 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childerns-lit
"Ella the Elegant Elephant" written and illustrated by Carmela and Steven D'Amico is a great story for younger kids, I would say Kindergarten/First grade maybe even preschool. Ella and her family are living somewhere in the Indian Ocean on Elephant Island. Ella is nervous about soon starting at her new school. But when she finds her grandma's lucky big, red hat she can not wait. However, once starting at school no one likes Ella's hat as much as Ella loves it. You're gonna have to read what happ ...more
Melanie
Ella the elephant is nervous about starting a new school. When she finds that her grandmother has sent her her lucky hat, she feels slightly better. But when she gets to school she quickly learns that a neat hat does not always guarantee friends. One of Ella's classmates immediately begins to tease her. When Ella is challenged to retrieve a ball off of a high safety wall, she challenges the other student right back. The other child accepts and up the wall she goes...only to find herself stuck. W ...more
Shannon
Jan 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
Amazon Book Description:
She's younger than Babar, shyer than Lily, and every bit as cute as Olivia. Look out! Here's ELLA!

Ella's counting the days until the first day of school ... but not because she's eager to start! On the contrary, as the littlest elephant on Elephant Island, she's terribly nervous about the other kids she'll meet. Then she receives a beautiful red hat that belonged to her grandmother -- her new lucky charm. Big mean Belinda at school teases her for it, calling her "Ella the
Penny McGill
Jun 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
We can't say enough about this brave little elephant. She is industrious and imaginative as she helps her mother at the bakery. When Ella goes off on an adventure in her beautiful town you can't help but want to go there to visit and eat some of those baked goods. She has some helpful friends and some pesky friends but she works at doing the right thing despite the challenges the story throws her way.

This is a book series that reminds you of Babar and all the most beautiful children's picture b
Abby Foster
Nov 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: modern-fantasy
Ella the Elegant Elephant is about a young elephant named Ella who is nervous to go to school, so her grandmother buys her a giant red hat. It becomes her good luck charm until everyone at school makes fun of her for it. Ella is brave and doesn't let the bullies get to her.

I would incorporate this in my classroom to talk about bullying and differences among people. I would have each of the students draw their good luck charm or something that is important to them on a giant poster and then pres
Katherine
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I also found this book in my classroom. This was the cutest book ever, the illustrations are so cute and classic. I loved that the characters did not have facial expressions, it made me want to think up my own. This is a great book for kids to help them with positive self- esteem. This would be a great book to read on the first day of class to help kids loosen up a little. I reminded me of an old time style with the colors and what the elephants were wearing and i ...more
Alexis
Jan 27, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
We received this book when Ella was born. It has been sitting on her hutch as decoration until yesterday when I decided to bring it down.

It's still a little old for her-I think school aged children could understand and benefit from the moral lessons taught, but my Ella still enjoyed it and asked me to read it again today.

I think she's really just a narcasist who likes to hear her name. ;)
Ashley
Jan 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Ella the Elegant Elephant is a cute book with a great story. Listening to it on audio emphasized the characters personalities as it allowed Ella's voice to sound more timid. I think it would be a great book for kindergarten and first graders as they are new to school and are first exposed to the desire to fit in. Overall, it has cute illustrations that help to tell the story and a fun ending.
Amanda Andrews
This book takes place on Elephant Island and has pretty pictures. Ella is nervous about going to school for the first time and wears her grandma's big red hat because she loves it. She gets teased and bullied at school, but in the end she saves the day because of her hat. This book we be good to use on the first day of school, when talking about bullying, or just talking about being yourself.
Megan
Apr 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book is about an Elephant named Ella who is new to a school. She wears her grandmother's hat is gets made fun of. The hat ends up being a life saver and turns her luck around. This book teaches students to be themselves and be proud. I like to use this book to show how negative bullying is also.
Libby
Dec 01, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
I didn't like this one as much as the other Ella books I've read, mostly because I had to reread it to N. about 20 times. I just don't understand how Ella could be new to town if she lives on a small group of isolated islands, and I really don't like Belinda! Ella is still charming, though.
Sarah Adamson
Oct 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
A fun book about a little girl elephant who is nervous about starting school. She encounters the school bully and tries to work out how to fit in. She stands up to the bully and then saves her life.
A good book allowing children to open up about teasing at school and acceptable behavior.
Lushyloo13
Aug 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is a really cute book with great illustrations!!! I love how cute they make all the animals and i love the moral!!!! And we all know i am obsessed with elephants, so that's why i love it so much but i think even if you are not not obsessed with lephants you will like it!
Karen
Aug 07, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-out-loud
Ella begins a new school. Every elephant looks the same, except for Ella who has this hat. She gets teased about it. In the end, Ella's hat unwittingly saves the day, and then every elephant wants a hat just like Ella.
Robin
Feb 04, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is a title I discovered on the shelves of Savers in Providence. I look for books and authors that I know and like plus I keep my eyes peeled for books in great shape, like this one. It still had its dust jacket, for example. Ella's story is sweet.
  • Maisy Goes to the Library
  • Fancy Nancy: Explorer Extraordinaire!
  • The Grandma Book