Start by marking “To Transform a City: Whole Church, Whole Gospel, Whole City” as Want to Read:
To Transform a City: Whole Church, Whole Gospel, Whole City

To Transform a City: Whole Church, Whole Gospel, Whole City

In the year 2007, the number of people living in the cities of the world—finally and irreversibly—exceeded the number of people living in rural areas. The earth’s population is now more urban than rural, and Christian leaders are trying to figure out what this means for the church. Pastors and kingdom-minded leaders know they need to engage the surrounding community with t ...more
Published September 12th 2010 by Zondervan (first published August 24th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about To Transform a City, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about To Transform a City

Start your review of To Transform a City: Whole Church, Whole Gospel, Whole City
Gregory
Jan 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: culture, ministry
This is a fanstastic book! Eric Swanson and Sam Williams bring a wealth of practical experience to the issue of city transformation. They argue that seeking the good of our cities is simply an extension of praying what Jesus taught us to pray. Do we really want God's will to be "done on earth as it is in heaven?" Or is this simply some pious phrase we repeat, without thinking through the implications of what it means to seek the kingdom of God. Swanson and Williams takes key passages from Script ...more
Brandon Stiver
Apr 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great book with some really powerful concepts for impacting and transforming the cities that we live in. Swanson and Williams present a theologically sound community framework that Christians in the cities can take and build God’s Kingdom of transformation. I read this book as I was transitioning between cities and it’s allowed me the ability to see my new context with a positive lens of what could be. Great book for any Christian especially those involved in local outreach (which all of us shou ...more
jonathan chan
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Inspiring and practical

I like the biblical storying of Kingdom, the church history piece and the practical examples of real cases and practices that were out there in the real context.
Robert Logan
To Transform A City is the highly acclaimed book by Eric Swanson and Sam Williams that begins with the premise that as of a few years ago, more people across the world live in urban areas than in rural areas. That significant demographic shift requires the church to consider how we can best minister in urban areas. What does that mean for how we go about serving and doing ministry?

A bit of the answer is found in the subtitle: Whole Church, Whole Gospel, Whole City. We need a holistic approach to
Corey
Aug 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A decent book on how the church can see its role in its community. Some good theology and plenty of stories. It's written more for pastors and church leaders who may not often see their church in the context of their community or need some convincing that their church's mission goes beyond getting more members/believers. But if community involvement and parterships are your M.O., then you would skim a lot of this book.
Luke Evans
Not good. Barely any exegesis other than a brief and unnuanced view of Isaiah 61. Theology of Kingdom is not well explained or thought out. Church vs. Kingdom, seemingly the central issue in this whole debate, gets 2 paragraphs.

Lots of statements that just assume things. Hovers over Bible and doesn't dig in.
Milan Homola
Aug 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Seriously don't miss out on this hidden gem. This book really is a necessary bridge for the next generation of the Church. There is a solid experienced foundation to this book with little flare for "one upmanship" It goes to the heart of scriptures call for unity and it gives practical meat. This is a must read for anyone engaged in neighborhood/city transformation!!!!
Jared Totten
Aug 11, 2011 rated it liked it
This book isn't groundbreaking. Rather the book's value lies in the fact that the authors have done their homework. This is an excellent resource that has gathered all the "city transformation" thinkers and works into one accessible piece.

Charissa Howe
Dec 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My full review can be found here: http://www.thesquirrelfactor.com/2011... ...more
Tim Lubinus
Dec 18, 2016
Stacey Littlefield
Feb 18, 2014
Brooklyn Sims
Mar 18, 2019
dvd
rated it did not like it
Feb 14, 2011
Jay Bonnell
Jan 15, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Red Sea Rules: 10 God-Given Strategies for Difficult Times
  • When Helping Hurts: How to Alleviate Poverty without Hurting the Poor...and Yourself
  • The Accidental President: Harry S. Truman and the Four Months That Changed the World
  • On the Road with Saint Augustine: A Real-World Spirituality for Restless Hearts
  • For the Life of the World: Sacraments and Orthodoxy
  • The Second Mountain
  • Barefoot Church: Serving the Least in a Consumer Culture
  • In an Absent Dream (Wayward Children, #4)
  • WHITE HOUSE USHER: Stories from the Inside