Start by marking “Day of Confession” as Want to Read:
Day of Confession

Day of Confession

3.74  ·  Rating details ·  1,620 Ratings  ·  105 Reviews
Two brothers become entangled in a horrifying conspiracy in which the Vatican plans to 'convert' a whole country to Catholicism.
Mass Market Paperback, 576 pages
Published August 5th 1999 by Sphere (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Day of Confession, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Day of Confession

Mister Jones
Jun 16, 2009 rated it did not like it
Where's a good editor when you need one? Because one was really needed.
Days of Confession just lags; the characters are not that well-developed or convincing. On top of that, the inaccuracy about the water being poisoned as an act of sabotage was just plain hilarious. Any idiot whose lived or even visited China knows that the surest way to experience bowel contractions is to drink the water straight from the tap. That's why they boil it if they drink it! But why should that inaccuracy stop you?
Bill Thibadeau
Jan 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was my first time reading Allan Folsom so I had no previous exposure to him or reviews by others. When I started to write this review at Amazon, I was very surprised to see that the reviews were almost evenly spaced on each of the five star ratings. I found myself questioning how to write a fair review but here goes.

I found the story to be interesting right from the start but then I enjoy stories about the sins of the Catholic church. I found the book to be a page turner. I really did not w
Kally
Apr 13, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Държащ в напрежение роман, интересна история с Ватиканско-интригантски привкус.
Малко досадно ми стана по едно време цялото това бягане, можеше да се поограничи малко, но и така става. Идеален роман за лятото.
Michael Llewellyn
Jan 20, 2014 rated it liked it
Folsom’s short chapters (probably due to his television and screenwriting background) make for an amazingly fast read, fortunate for wrangling this overlong (566pp), overbaked thriller involving another wildly convoluted scramble for world domination. This time the bad guy is the Vatican’s second-in-command, one Cardinal Palestrina, who (get this) believes he’s the reincarnation of Alexander the Great, without the gay aspect of course. If that’s not woo-woo enough, the good cardinal plans to rea ...more
Annette McIntyre
Sep 05, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: suspense
Starts out twisty with too many points of view from different characters, but ties up into a nice neat plot calculated to keep you on the edge of your seat turning pages to see how they all get out of trouble
Marianne
Mar 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
First book I've read by this author.

OMG! What a book! Spellbinding, fantastic plot, twists and turns, compassion, love....got it all.
And a twist at the end.
Chuck
Apr 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
A Cardinal is assassinated in Rome; another priest is
accused. A complicated plot. Foreboding atmosphere.
Missy Melly
Dec 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
As a first time reader of Allan Folsom, I found there was much mystery and questions related to the characters. I would have preferred Elena to fall for Daniel instead of Harry, the womanizer. Also, I found that Thomas was way to good at eluding certain security details. But, then again, look at who hired him. Lastly, the rattled truck with the people inside; why were they not detained or arrested. Elena was too good undercover. Perhaps, she could have been "Thomas" instead.
No matter, really, as
Joke Vansteenkiste
Leuke thriller. Opgejaagde passages, een non die kap over de haag gooit, complot theorie in 't Vaticaan, maffia praktijken, moord, kommer en kwel,... Eens een leuke afwisseling :-)
Joe Spoto
Apr 17, 2018 rated it liked it
It was an interesting evil plot, however in my opinion there were too many characters involved which made it difficult to follow.
Sandra
Feb 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
an excellent detailed book, kept me wanting to read it
Carlos
Sep 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Allan Folsom es un escritor norteamericano que se hizo un nombre en el apartado de los thrillers con su novela The day After Tomorrow, la cual dicen los conocedores que es excelente, yo no la he leído aun. Pero conociendo esa “garra” que tienen algunos escritores no tuve mas remedio que comprar este libro que prometía mucho y que es el segundo de este escritor. Day of Confession (Warner Vision, 1998, 667pp, $8.00USD). Definitivamente es un placer leer en inglés por lo barato que sale, ¿que libro ...more
Ana Nicoleta
Feb 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of my all time favorites
Christian, Kelanth, Scala
Giorno di confessione, in originale "Day of confession", è un libro del 2007, dello scrittore e sceneggiatore americano Allan Folsom. Ha scritto cinque libri: Il giorno dopo domani (1994), Giorno di Confessione (1998), L'esule (2004), La regola Machiavelli (2006) e il dossier Hadrian (2009). Il suo primo romanzo, Il giorno dopo domani, ha debuttato al terzo postp sul New York Times dei bestseller e ha venduto oltre 1,2 milioni di copie.

La trama del romanzo in sintesi: Harry Addison, avvocato di
Jazz
Jan 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Folsom is a very talented writer. He causes a wide range of emotions to surge in the reader, from fear, to concern, to that spine-tingling feeling of suspense when you really have no idea what will happen. Most of all I felt a lot of sympathy and empathy for many of the characters, especially those innocent folks who are dragged into this horrible conspiratorial web and who you wish the best outcome for, but know that not everyone can be saved. Perhaps that is what I find different about Folsom’ ...more
Tony
Dec 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Allan Folsom- Day of Confession 3.75 Stars

The Cardinal Vicar of Rome has just been assassinated and Harry Addison’s brother has been listed as the number one suspect. Harry Addison in Los Angeles, got a concerning message on his answering machine from his brother whom he hasn’t spoken to in many years, right before finding out that his brother was killed in a bus explosion. Rushing to Italy to bring his brother’s body home, he finds himself being treated as a suspect in the whole plot. Throwing
Wendy
Oct 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Mr. Gottshalk
Apr 14, 2016 rated it liked it
First of all, I was saddened to learn of Mr. Folsom's passing in 2014. He wrote five very long, action-packed thrillers.
In this one, Harry Addison is called from Los Angeles to Italy to identify the remains of his brother, Danny, who supposedly died in a fiery bus crash. Unfortunately, the plot gets complicated from there and he learns that not only is his brother wanted for the murder of a Vatican priest, but his brother's body is not the one that was pulled from the wreck! And so we go on a 60
Denise
Dec 14, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense
Este libro me recordó mucho la novela de Thomas Gifford, Assassini. Sin embargo el ritmo que lleva ésta novela de Allan Folsom es mucho más vertiginoso lo cual hace la lectura mucho más emocionante. En ésta novela Harry Addison, abogado Norte Americano viaja a Italia después de recibir una extraña llamada de su hermano Daniel, sacerdote del Vaticano, y enterarse de que está muerto. Al viajar a Italia para recuperar el cuerpo de su hermano y debido a diversas circunstancias se descubre inmerso en ...more
Kerry
Oct 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
Lots of intrigue and well developed characters. Most of the action takes place in Rome and I enjoyed the reminders of places I had been, especially in the Vatican. Not certain that all the places described actually exist, they are interesting however and add to the story. It's a great 'who done it' with a lot of twists and turns that will keep you connected and engaged.
I like the story within the story and think being reminded that realtionships are one of the most important things in life only
Leela
Mar 06, 2010 rated it liked it
Day of Confession is a tale of duty, brotherhood, courage and misguided ambition. A confession from a senior member of Holy See shatters the life of Father Danny Addison in Vatican. A panicked phone call from his brother has the same effect of Harry Addison in L.A. A disgruntled employee in Eastern China is about to set into motion a sequence of events that have the potential to impact the balance of power around the world.
An interesting read with vivid detail about Italian countryside and Vati
Karen morsecode
Mar 08, 2010 rated it liked it
Day of Confession is another one of the inside-the-Catholic-church conspiracy thrillers. I liked the book overall, particularly how layered its plot is, but I'm not sure it's one that I would have chosen to read had it been in traditional book form.

The one thing that I found most interesting is that the two biggest villains both suffered from some sort of mental illness. I'm not sure if Folsom is using that instability to justify their actions. Is he trying to imply that people can't be evil by
Joe
Jun 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
I found this to be a quick read due, in large part, to the short chapters(163) and the exciting plot and writing style. The only draw back is the large number of characters that are conveniently listed in the front and a source I had to constantly check to know who was who. BUT, that did not really detract from a very good story with a lot of twists and turns. If you like a good fast-paced mystry, "Day of Confession" is for you.
Charlie Newfell
Interesting concept, but falls short in a couple of aspects. The settings (mostly Italy) are described in detail and are well-done. You get a real sense of place. The main characters fall short however. What are they really like? The two main characters are really never fully fleshed out...neither are any of the other characters really. Just shells. The story (although completely unrealistic) is still told well.
Asha Stark
May 27, 2016 rated it it was ok
While marginally better than other books I've read by Folsom, this can best be described by telling you that in the midst of being hunted by an internationally renowned assassin, a nun meant to be nursing the main character's brother suddenly decides she no longer likes being a nun. Then they have sex.
Nancy Hartill
Mar 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was an edge of your seat thriller. I've read several books on Vatican conspiracies, but this is at the top of the list. If you've been to Italy, you'll relish in all your favorite haunts in Rome as well as Assissi, Milan, and Lake Como. I really enjoyed reading this and will look for another book by Folsom. I couldn't put it down!
Bill
Nov 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
This was a good read - in the thriller/mystery/intrigue category. I hadn't heard of Folsom before, but picked up this book because of its NYT bestseller status. Not the sort of book that teaches life lessons or provides deep insights, but a fun and involving read. I'll seek out other books by this author.
Nina
Jan 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was pretty exciting, adventure filled reading. A cardinal is murdered and a priest is framed to be the murderer. Yet the murder is just covering up a much bigger conspiracy in the church and Vatican. The brother of the priest sets out to prove his brother's innocence at much danger to his own life. This thriller really clips along.
Aldafan
Apr 02, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mysteries
I liked the plot. Two brothers, one a priest and one a Hollywood lawyer reunite during a episode of mystery and intrigue at the Vatican. The plot was good and the book was a page turner but the ending was SO gruesome. I wish mysteries had some kind of labeling so we would know the level of gore!
Raymond
Jul 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is the first of Allan Folsom books I have read (Just happened to be next on the shelf). I really enjoyed the book; style is similar to that of Robert Ludlum. Although it stretches the realm of feasibility in places has enough suspense to hold your attention. I will definitely be looking for more of his books.
  • Above the Law
  • Sing It To Her Bones (Hannah Ives Mystery #1)
  • The Magdalene Cipher
  • The Death of a Pope
  • Grand Jury
  • Rewriting History
  • The Hit List
  • The Republican Noise Machine: Right-Wing Media and How It Corrupts Democracy
  • Adept
  • The Fall of the House of Bush: How a Group of True Believers Put America on the Road to Armageddon
  • The True and Only Heaven: Progress and Its Critics
  • The Dominion of War: Empire and Liberty in North America, 1500-2000
  • Vertical Burn
  • The Soul of Capitalism: Opening Paths to a Moral Economy
  • Reaching for Glory: Lyndon Johnson's Secret White House Tapes 1964-65
  • Resurrection Day
  • Numbered Account
  • Jealousy
Until the international success of THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW, Allan Folsom was a jobbing screen writer, contributing to such series as Hart to Hart. He lived in Santa Barbara with his wife, an artist, and their young daughter. Mr. Folsom died of complications of melanoma.
More about Allan Folsom

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• The Last Passenger
  • The Thief
  • From the Cradle
  • Intrusion
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Obsidian Curse (A Stacy Justice Mystery #5)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Two to Die For (Lucy Kincaid, #12.5; Max Revere, #3.5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • To the Grave (Jefferson Tayte Genealogical Mystery Book #2)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • If Tomorrow Comes
    $12.74 $1.99
  • Bloodstone (A Stacy Justice Mystery, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Clockwork Scarab (Stoker & Holmes, #1)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Into the Darkest Corner
    $7.74 $1.99
  • Dragon's Triangle (The Shipwreck Adventures #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The End of Temperance Dare
  • Skewed
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unintended Consequences (Innocent Prisoners Project #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Steeplejack (Steeplejack #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Girl Number One
  • No Time To Blink
  • What You Wish For
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Detachment (John Rain, #7)
  • Don't Get Caught
  • Disappearance at Devil's Rock
    $9.74 $1.99
  • The Boy Who Stole from the Dead (Nadia Tesla, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Kindred (Jefferson Tayte Genealogical Mystery, #5)
  • Local Girl Missing
  • Finding Jake
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Violent Crimes (Amanda Jaffe, #5)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Temporary Agent (The Agent #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Punishment (Detective Barnes, #1)
  • Terminal Rage
    $9.99 $3.99
  • A Lonely Resurrection (John Rain #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Killer Ascendant (John Rain #6)
  • A Deadly Game: The Untold Story of the Scott Peterson Investigation
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Sunday Silence (Frieda Klein, #7)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Last Queen of England (Jefferson Tayte Genealogical Mystery Book #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Graveyard of Memories (John Rain, #8)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Emerald Isle (A Stacy Justice Mystery #4)
  • Before You Leap
    $4.99 $1.99
  • First Strike (Dewey Andreas, #6)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Hangman (The Forgotten Files #3)
  • An Invisible Client
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Eight
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Best of Robert E. Howard: Crimson Shadows (Volume 1)
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Sin and Swoon (Blood and Bone, #2)
  • The Devil in Silver
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Shark (Forgotten Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Stay Dead (Elise Sandburg #2)
  • The Company of Demons
    $7.99 $0.99
  • The Fifth Letter
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sacred and Profane (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Altar Girl (Nadia Tesla #0.5)
  • Darkness
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Redemption Games (John Rain #4)
  • Tips for Living
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Boy from Reactor 4 (Nadia Tesla, #1)
  • Carthage
    $8.49 $2.99
  • The Lost Empress (Genealogical Crime Mystery, #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Hounded (An Andy Carpenter Novel)
  • Girls on Fire
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Back Road
  • The Other Widow
    $9.24 $1.99
  • Suckers (Jack Daniels and Associates)
  • No Time for Goodbye
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Edinburgh Twilight (Ian Hamilton Mysteries #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Extremis (John Rain, #5)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Blood and Bone (Blood and Bone, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Chopping Spree (A Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery, #11)
    $7.99 $1.99
“He was tired, he realized, emotionally and physically. He wanted to lie down and turn off the world and sleep for a week.” 2 likes