Start by marking “Out of the Shadows (Nick Barrett, #1)” as Want to Read:
Out of the Shadows (Nick Barrett, #1)

Read eBook

Out of the Shadows

(Nick Barrett #1)

Set in Charleston, the novel introduces Nick Barret. He is drawn home by a mysterious note about the mother who abandoned him. Past secrets emerge to meet present danger. Along the way, Nick comes face-to-face with the God he has always denied. Sharply defined characters and vivid settings will engage and appeal to both men and women. Remarkable storytelling with uncommon ...more
Published May 1st 2001 by Tyndale House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Out of the Shadows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Out of the Shadows

Start your review of Out of the Shadows (Nick Barrett, #1)
Amber Fuller
This book was not easy for me to get into. I almost stopped reading it several times but, lacking another good book to read, I plodded along right to the end. It was a slow and trudging process, wading through the convoluted plot. The premise was implausible to me and the main character, Nick Barrett, was not endearing. Was I supposed to feel sorry for him because he had been in a tragic accident and ended up with a prosthetic leg? Or perhaps because he is wrongfully blamed for that accident whi ...more
David Herndon
Jul 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The details in the setting were very well done; one felt like they were walking down the same streets, entering the same rooms as the character. The story line was compelling and hooked me from the very beginning. I liked the twists and turns - usually I figure out plot quickly in books of this genre, but this one had just enough to keep me off-balance and eagerly anticipating the next chapter.
A very good read, well worth your time
Lois
Sep 28, 2009 rated it did not like it
not my style of writing-recommended by a friend; could NOT get thru it! Didn't finish the book; all I could think was, "okay...come on, get to the point, too much fluff!"
Jane
Mar 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
4.00 stars - rated pg

I'm very slowly going through all my bookshelves and trying to catalogue books bought and read in years gone by. Stars and ratings are mere guesses at this point.
Karen Strumlak
Jun 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Suspenseful story. Makes one realize whatever you are searching for in life to find happiness doesn’t always give you peace. Nick was truly a victim of deceit and searched for answers and maybe revenge. This author gently reveals that there is no peace without knowing Jesus. Good story. Life lesson.
Lynette
Jan 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Not my usual genre of choice but I did like the read. In some ways it reads like a memoir. The story of a man trying to get to the truth about his mother’s disappearance, with some twists and turns. A predictable resolution about his mother, but some not so obvious endings to other parts of the plot.
Charlie
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
We made our not-unusual mistake of reading the second book of a series (Nick Barret) "Crown of Thorns" and were so intrigued with the rich view of Charleston, we spent our 50th anniversary there. Have gone back now and read the first book of the series (this one) and were not disappointed.
Dorry Lou
Oct 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Nick returns to the city he was raised in but not by his mother. So now he wants answers and also revenge. He wants what was taken from him and he wants the truth. A lot of dark secrets are revealed. Some twists and turns. Not a book I usually read, but I found it interesting.
Stacey
Mar 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book! Great writing. So many surprises. Mystery, suspense and a tab bit of romance mixed together. And above all - a message of forgiveness.
Beckie
Oct 05, 2011 rated it liked it
I received "Out of the Shadows" by Sigmund Brouwer (e-book) for free from www.familyfiction.com. This is the second Brouwer book I have read and I am thinking his usual style is mystery with a ton of twists and turns. In this story Nick, a southerner, is growing up in his uncle's house with his awful cousin and his cute neighbor. Nick's mother disapears when he is 10. Fast forward 8 years to a car wreck involving Nick; Claire, the cute neighbor; Pennington, the cousin from hell, and Claire's lit ...more
Adrienna
This book went through spurts to whereas it caught my attention early on, then got a bit bored and slightly confused, then gathered my curiosity, and skimmed through some passages to finally midway get to the nitty-gritty. He did have the who-done-it throughout the book and whether or not the mother lived or was dead, then who was her murderer or suspects, with the why factor. There were some wow factors, but again, this did not happen until over a 100 pages in and closer to the end.

I am glad t
Rocky Henriques
Jul 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Five stars for a very good story...

...even though the formatting of this ebook seemed to be off, almost as if this version was rushed to market without a final run-through. Sometimes that distracted, but after awhile it was simply annoying. That said, the plot was exceptional, and I found myself unable to put it down once I started. Browser's writing style appeals to me, and the main character is not only believable but it seemed as if he were an extension of myself, though I have not experience
R. Ann
Mar 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
This particular book . . . though everything I've read of Mr. Brouwer's is compelling . . . had a certain lure I couldn't escape. It was one of those books I couldn't put down because I was so wrapped in the MC's story. Mr. Brouwer guarded his story piously in this book and doled out only the smallest tidbits at every turn, and each morsel became as my own struggle, demanding that I find the solution.
It follows a man who is broken and he is either looking for answers, or revenge.
Whatever he look
John
Apr 11, 2010 rated it it was ok
A wimpy detective starring in a tepid thriller. Joy. Brouwer attempts to give the story a film noir-type feel, but it's like a Hallmark version of film noir. He also beats you over the head so hard with his obvious and simplistic themes that you run the risk of literally being knocked unconscious while reading. That's what happened to me, at least. Or maybe I was just so bored that I fell asleep. On a positive note, though, some of Brouwer's other books are good.
Deb
Feb 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book is the first in a series but I accidentally read the second one first. I actually enjoyed the second one more but this one was good as well. I'm looking forward to reading the next one. It's hard to write a fair review because I was reading it more to fill in the holes and knowing how it was going to turn out in the end.
Mark Baker
Mar 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, 2007
The first in a Christian mystery trilogy, Nick returns to Charleston to face the mysteries of his past, specifically his mother's disappearance when he was a pre-teen. A gripping story that dragged just slightly in the middle.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Brian
Feb 01, 2008 rated it liked it
I really enjoy Sigmund Brouwer books they are always well writen and thoughtful. However this book is too dark for me. I have a tough time thinking or believing that people are so wicked or uncaring.
Joanie
Mar 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
Could not put book down-read it in record time. A mystery but yet a thiller. Nick returned to his childhood town to find out an answer and he did find it but only after many trying times! His faith in God kept him going. A must read! Going to look for more books by this author!
Leigh Ann
Apr 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was a new author for me, and I totally loved his writing style. This is mystery and suspense
at its best. Taking place in Savannah Georgia, this is a story of dysfunctional families, murder and cover
up and there are surprises all the way to the last page. This one kept me up late reading!!
Amanda
Oct 22, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: book-club
Just felt like this one was a bit run-of-the-mill mystery with too many characters and too many twists and turns. I never felt like I got invested in the characters either. Just not my fav. Of course, I read it right after 'To Kill a Mockingbird' so it had high standards to live up to ; )
Bethany
Aug 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! I was somewhat surprised at some of the less than stellar reviews as I simply devoured this book.Sigmund Brouwer has a style of writing that just pulls you right in.
If you are looking for a good Christian mystery then I highly recommend this book.
Pam
Jan 16, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-1
set in Charleston a man discovers the truth behind his mother's disappearance when he was 10; so many lies and deception surrounded him as he grew up -- who his father was, his aunt, his half-brother, so much evil in upper-crust Charleston!
Linda
Jan 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
I've enjoyed a few of Sigmund Brouwer's other books in the past. This one had enough twists that several times I had to check out 'just one more chapter' to find out what happened. It was a fairly quick read and I look forward to the next book in the series.
Heather
Mar 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was a fantastic book with swirls of plot that weaved and danced a tango of unexpected turns! Highly recommend this book for Christian mystery book fans! Actually I highly recommend this book for anyone!!!
Ed
Jul 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A good story taking place in Charleston, S. C. A story of a grown man returning home in search of his lost mother, and the friction that he faced with other people that were against him and his mother.
Lynnie
May 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I remember this book being riveting. There were lots of plot twists. The author is good at making you want to keep turning the pages and not putting the book down.
Rick
Aug 06, 2008 rated it liked it
Might be worthy of a "4". Good southern gothic fiction by a Canadian hockey player, of all things. It kept me engaged.
Casey
Sep 21, 2010 rated it liked it
Out of the Shadows was a bit slow in parts and the excitement doesn't last long but a good idea.
Shivanee Ramlochan
Aug 30, 2011 rated it it was ok
Thoughtfully written (for the most part) without being spectacularly told.
Christa
Dec 17, 2011 rated it liked it
This book was hard for me to get into. I did like the interesting plots that unfolded. The author had too much fluffy details about items not related to the plot.

• Cry of My Heart (Montana Skies, #1)
  • Kiss the Girls and Make Them Cry
  • The Sunroom
  • The Patient One (Walnut Creek, #1)
  • The Confession (The Heritage of Lancaster County, #2)
  • The Reckoning (The Heritage of Lancaster County, #3)
  • The Eagle (Wild Mountain Hearts, #2)
  • The Pathfinders: Prologue (Wild Mountain Hearts, #1)
  • Mandy and the Missouri Man
  • The Journey Home (Depression Series, #2)
  • The Homeplace
  • The Dream
  • The Calling of Ella McFarland (Women of Rock Creek #1)
  • The Mending of Lillian Cathleen (The Women of Rock Creek Book 2)
  • Upon a Spring Breeze (Every Amish Season, #1)
  • The Beekeeper's Son (The  Amish of Bee County, #1)
  • Becoming a Just Church: Cultivating Communities of God's Shalom
  • The Second Half
Sigmund loves going to schools to get kids excited about reading, reaching roughly 80,000 students a year through his Rock&Roll Literacy Show. ...more

Nick Barrett (3 books)
  • Crown of Thorns (Nick Barrett, #2)
  • The Lies of Saints (Nick Barrett, #3)

News & Interviews