Start by marking “A Little Death” as Want to Read:
A Little Death

A Little Death

3.19  ·  Rating details ·  147 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
London, 1955. Three bodies are found in a house – but when the police search for the murder weapon, vital evidence is destroyed. One of the victims is former society beauty Georgina Gresham, prime suspect in the notorious murder of her husband, James, almost thirty years earlier. Beside her lie the bodies of her brother Edmund and housekeeper Ada.

But there is a link with t
Published October 3rd 2000 by Bantam (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about A Little Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Little Death

Helen
Oct 27, 2012 rated it liked it
I found myself in a race against time to finish this novel. I was in a car on a journey home and the light was fading. I ended up in darkness using the light on my mobile phone to finish it - and I HAD to finish it. It's an intriguing and captivating tale concerning a series of murders over a long period of time and the parts played in them by a trio of characters - brother and sister, Georgina and Edmund and their servant, Ada. It's a page turner!
Mary
Apr 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes historical mysteries
Recommended to Mary by: Library Book Sale
The police find the bodies of three elderly recluses amid the musty, hoarded belongings in a 1950's London town house. The victims - one man and two women - have all been shot to death. However, when the death scene yields no clues as to what might have occurred, the police conclude that one of the victims shot the others before committing suicide. But which one? And why?

The story is told from the view points of the three main characters, the three elderly recluses themselves, whose bodies were
Jessica
Mar 03, 2011 rated it it was ok
Meh. Usually I don't keep reading books that are one or two stars. This one held my interest but it still is overwritten and somewhat annoying. I am sorry I didn't put it down. The ending seemed prurient in a non-interesting way.

A sister and brother of a certain age are found dead along with their elderly housekeeper. The three voices then tell their stories leading up to the deaths, including their life on a country estate before and during WWI. The execution just didn't work. Not recommended.
Gooddeeds
Apr 30, 2012 rated it liked it
Great book - the descriptions of the life and attitudes of Victorian and Edwardian England was as interesting as the plot.

"It was shocking to hear William talking about the facts of life as if it was something you could just talk about."

Bought at Gateshead Oxfam and donated to South Shields BHF Shop.
P.D.R. Lindsay
Apr 26, 2013 rated it liked it
Again there is nothing wrong with this book but it just wasn't for me. The story is interesting, the writing flows but I wasn't interested enough in the characters and that is my personal taste not the author's.

The reader who enjoys historical mysteries might well enjoy this.
Marie
Mar 14, 2011 rated it liked it
Quite a nice little historical mystery story following the lives of three characters from the late 1800s through the roaring 20s to their old age. It was a quick read & I really enjoyed it but was a little disappointed by the ending as the final revelation of whodunnit felt rushed and abrupt.
Teresa
Sep 16, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
really dark. but good.
Ayelet Waldman
Mar 03, 2013 rated it it was ok
Spoiler alert!!! Aren't we done with incest yet? Not to belittled the sufferers. But I'm so tired of it as a literary device.
Johanna
Jan 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
A cute, cozy fast read.
Hazel Roberts
May 31, 2012 rated it it was ok
I finished this book but I would not recommend it
Judith
Bob
Dec 27, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Wheat Field
  • Blood in the Water (Alice Rice, #1)
  • Evil Twins: Chilling True Stories of Twins, Killing and Insanity
  • Ruin Creek
  • The Tarnished Eye
  • Henry and Clara
  • In the Night Season
  • The White Widow
  • Random Hearts
  • Come Walk with Me
  • Gone to Her Death (Lloyd & Hill, #3)
  • Dancehall
  • The Red Scream
  • Afternoon of  an Autocrat
  • True Crime
  • The Devil's Hunt (Hugh Corbett, #10)
  • Other Worlds
  • The Saints and Sinners of Okay County: A Novel
There is more than one author with this name

Laura Wilson is an English crime-writer based in London, where she was born and raised. She has degrees in English Literature form Somerville College, Oxford, and University College London, and has worked as a teacher and editor of non-fiction.

Many of her novels have either a historical setting or a distinct historical connection, and often have split or
More about Laura Wilson...