Start by marking “Infinite Life: Seven Virtues For Living Well” as Want to Read:
Infinite Life: Seven Virtues For Living Well

Infinite Life: Seven Virtues For Living Well

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  171 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Following the teachings of Buddha, this book introduces seven Buddhist virtues for cultivating the positive in our lives. Thurman teaches the reader to let go of a rigid sense of 'self' and to fully experience full satisfaction with ourselves, the people who surround us and contribute meaningfully to the world.
Unknown Binding
Published by Not Avail (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Infinite Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Infinite Life

Craig Williams
I had first heard of Robert Thurman after watching a documentary called "One", in which the filmmakers tried to answer the timeless question: "What's the meaning of life?" They interview several notable spiritual gurus, Thurman included. What perked my interest was not only his answer, but that he is the father of Uma Thurman. That certainly explains her name.

Anyway, the man certainly earned his Phd in Buddhist Studies. He definitely knows what he's talking about. Even though I already knew most
Erik Akre
Dec 23, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: seekers of inspiration for generosity and giving
Shelves: buddhism
This book is remarkable, I think, because it teaches engagement in the world. Leading the "infinite lifestyle" involves, first and foremost, care for others. Thurman spends a good deal of text inviting and praising a lifestyle of giving generously, and becoming involved in the issues of the day.

One should live life as if it will carry on infinitely, and indeed it will in accordance with the Buddhist concept of the ever-returning boddhisattva. One follows the ethic of generosity--giving material
Kathryn Jennex
I really enjoyed this. I didn’t read it cover to cover, I chose to look at topics that interested me the most. Robert Thurman writes in a way that makes Buddhist practices understandable and attainable. I particularly likes when he talks about meditating and says being mindful and interested in meditating does not have to be overwhelming. He gives an example of being in traffic and using that time to meditate. I recommend it, even if you’re just a little bit Bud-curious :) .
Bernadine Rosso
Deep insights and intense realities brought to the surface. This book has the potential to carry one into life changing transformation, if chosen.
R.J.
Mar 21, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: recommend
companion book to a class I took with Thurman at The Tibet House.
Lectures were taken directly from text.
Very helpful book for exploring this line of teacher/philosphy.
Jill
Jul 30, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: buddha, favorites
I really enjoyed Thurman's argument for the validity of the possibility of reincarnation in this book.
Jerry Worthylake
Have read this book 5 times over. I love it's boiling down of the dharma. Clear and consise
Kathy
May 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is definitely a keeper to reread.
Trevor Jones
Jun 09, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Don't let this book's cover deceive you: although it is rather middle-minded, straight forward recommendations on how to live life day-to-day, it is no mushy self-help book either. I respect Thurman enough for his scholarly studies and dedication to Tibetan Buddhism over the past several decades, but it is his attitude and positive approach to speaking to the reader that won me over.

Although I consider myself an atheist, I have serious Buddhist sympathies that are only so far away from reconcil
Marina Quattrocchi
I saw Robert Thurman for the first time when he spoke at the University of Toronto, winter 2014. I was intrigued learning of the lifetime relationship he had with the Dalai Lama, so decided to go to his talk. It was a brutally cold winter evening, I went by myself and the building was hard to find, but afterwards I was so glad I went. He had everyone completely captivated for over 2 hours, and the time seemed much shorter because his talk was so humorous and engaging. We laughed the entire time, ...more
Connie Kronlokken
Robert Thurman makes the case for spiritual evolution here, showing its consequences for one's life and how, because of it, everything matters. I appreciate his ability to describe these concepts, developed over thousands of years of Buddhism in India and Tibet, in precise English. Having heard him speak a couple of times, I hear him very well in his writing!
Jenny
Sep 04, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who feel like a finger at the base of their spine is propelling them forward always
Shelves: buddhism
better.
Tammy
Apr 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book! Awakens the self to release habitual patterns of selfishness.
Scott Miles
Nov 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How am I not myself?
Travis
rated it did not like it
Jul 12, 2017
The Artful Blog
Sep 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Walking Meditation [With CD and DVD]
  • The Lost Art of Compassion: Discovering the Practice of Happiness in the Meeting of Buddhism and Psychology
  • Dakini Power: Twelve Extraordinary Women Shaping the Transmission of Tibetan Buddhism in the West
  • The Book of Understanding: Creating Your Own Path to Freedom
  • Contemplative Science: Where Buddhism and Neuroscience Converge
  • The Best Buddhist Writing 2013
  • Awakening to the Sacred: Creating a Personal Spiritual Life
  • Many Ways to Nirvana: Reflections and Advice on Right Living
  • A Heart as Wide as the World: Stories on the Path of Lovingkindness
  • One Dharma: The Emerging Western Buddhism
  • Great Eastern Sun: The Wisdom of Shambhala
  • Creating True Peace: Ending Violence in Yourself, Your Family, Your Community, and the World
  • Spiritual Ecology: The Cry of the Earth
  • The Shambhala Principle: Discovering Humanity's Hidden Treasure
  • Hunger Mountain: A Field Guide to Mind and Landscape
  • Blue Jean Buddha: Voices of Young Buddhists
  • Edgar Cayce: An American Prophet
  • Awakening Shakti: The Transformative Power of the Goddesses of Yoga
Jetsun Jamphel Ngawang Lobsang Yeshe Tenzin Gyatso (born Lhamo Döndrub), the 14th Dalai Lama, is a practicing member of the Gelug School of Tibetan Buddhism and is influential as a Nobel Peace Prize laureate, the world's most famous Buddhist monk, and the leader of the exiled Tibetan government in India.

Tenzin Gyatso was the fifth of sixteen children born to a farming family. He was proclaimed the
More about Dalai Lama XIV...