Start by marking “An Evil Shadow (Val Bosanquet Mystery #1)” as Want to Read:
An Evil Shadow (Val Bosanquet Mystery #1)

An Evil Shadow

(Val Bosanquet Mysteries #1)

The first in a series of books, each one taking a different crime as its theme.

Val Bosanquet, a former New Orleans detective, is offered a job as Chief of a campus PD. A Haitian child killer he helped convict for the murder of her mother has just been enrolled at the university. Val stumbles across new evidence linking the ten-year old murder to a disgraced cop and one of
Published March 3rd 2010 by Amazon Digital Services

To ask other readers questions about An Evil Shadow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Evil Shadow

Karen
Even though I chose this for the "E" in the title because I needed a book with that letter for a challenge I need to finish by the end of July, I figured I would rather have the shame of not completing it than gnash my teeth on characters I cannot stand and I find utterly ridiculous. I feel nauseous how the main character does not even have an iota of self-respect, but to suck up to his bimbo ex? wife. So I am expected to have some honor for this cop's agenda? Or his buddy who is a member of thi ...more
Valerie
Jan 28, 2014 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed parts of this book, a thrilling police mystery combined with Haitian history which I found interesting.
BUT I have to say the spelling mistakes distracted me and it got complicated with the amount of people to keep track of.
I hope the rest of the series is edited better and not so hard to follow.
Sheila Myers
Sep 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
I'm not a big fan of crime fiction in which the investigator goes at a case with a lone wolf attitude and breaks all of the established procedures even if there are compelling reasons for him to do so. That being said, I did enjoy "An Evil Shadow". AJ Davidson did a good job of pulling together various plot elements to write a story that kept me interested until the very end of the book.
Glenda
Nov 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
A good action book, no profanity or needless sex scenes and it kept me on the edge of my seat. I want to read more in this series.
Sheila Judson
Nov 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good story line. Typos in the ebook a little off putting.
James
Nov 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-thriller
"An Evil Shadow" is a very good police thriller. The primary characteristic of this book is entertainment, but I also learned much I didn't already know about Haiti and Voodoo. Until the last several chapters, the story moves at a perfect pace and most of the characters are well developed. The weak development of Angie's character is one of the exceptions, and the pace seems to be a little rushed at the end. The rapid, but unexplained, change in Val's and Angie's relationship at the end is one s ...more
Kristen
Dec 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
In the first installment of the Val Bosanquet Mystery series by AJ Davidson, An Evil Shadow, we were introduced to his wild and wacky world. Set in New Orleans, Louisiana, Valentino "Val" Bosanquet was a former NOPD detective and lost his finger, a decade ago, to one of his cases. When his brother Marcus asked him to step in to be the interim security chief for the University of New Orleans, when Marie Duvall, a young Haitian girl who lost her mother due a brutal crime, she was accused of the cr ...more
Bob
Jun 30, 2015 rated it it was ok
This was one of the most forgettable books i've read recently. I finished it this afternoon and there is absolutely nothing that jumps out at me as something i'll remember beyond the point where i begin another book. The plot was a jumble of murders, voodoo, and cops of all types. The main character is a college campus police chief that acts nothing at all like real campus cops. On the scale of law enforcement offices, campus cops generally rate just above mall cops. This one acted like he was N ...more
Wanda Hartzenberg
Dec 27, 2014 rated it liked it
Good premise, very well researched which impressed me from a 2 star toward a 3 star rating, however;
Soelling, even syntax mistakes distracted me soo much it actually impacted my reading time. Yes the plot is good, predictable but nonetheless good. However some character formations were brilliant while surprisingly the main character is hardly developed and shows little growth.

I know my review sound very negative but this author needs a good line editor and a few beta readers to challenge the pr
Pheebz
Jul 03, 2014 rated it liked it
This book had a good story line, and parts of it were well thought out.Your Editor, failed you miserably.Sorry about that A.J. You deserved better.Parts of the story were captivating,the characters,were well developed. However, there were a few that were left blowing in the wind.All in all it was a interesting read,and the story line could have been great with the right Editor. You get an A for effort, your editor gets an F-.Don't be discouraged,hang in there and I wish you the very best in the ...more
Marti
Dec 16, 2013 rated it liked it
Val Bosanquet is a New Orleans police officer who saw that a young Haitian girl was convicted of the ax murder of her mother, but it seems that may be wrong. She wants to go to college, and Val changes jobs, going to work for the University Police Department. All along the way, people are getting murdered, and otherwise killed. His ex-wife, who is now involved with his brother, thinks that she might like to get back together with him. Problems, problems. This must be part of a series, since it i ...more
Ingrid
Jul 16, 2015 rated it liked it
Interesting concept and plot but it didn't draw me in. It was difficult for me to stay interested. The relationship with Val and Angie and Marcus was nauseating to me, the story was a bit too predictable, and Marie seemed like a temperamental child at times. But above and beyond that, the grammar and spelling was atrocious! Somebody needs to fire their editor. Some phrases I had to read more than once because the way they were worded did not make any sense. Another series in which I have ended t ...more
Sara Bartlett
Nov 16, 2013 rated it liked it
A good mystery requiring concentration to link all the Haitian history an political links of the past, the plot was good. not an exceptional book, needs editing to correct the typos. These types of errors really detract from reading, demotes professional standing g of the work. I searched for information about the author, curious about all the typo errors in the book. This author has gone to INDIE books whatever that means, the book was created on CreateSpace and is free. I guess you get what yo ...more
R.L.
Jan 03, 2015 rated it it was ok
A girl who supposedly killed her voodoo witch mother and spent time in J jail is out and wants to attend college. The Haiti mafia seem at once to be fascinated with her and want to kill her. The detective who testified against her is up against it trying to decide to keep her safe, and now has doubts about her role in the slaying.
Ashley
Dec 23, 2015 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
#
NC
Own on Nook.

FS: "Donny Jackson turned the key in the lock, pushed open the door and entered the apartment, then used his foot to hook the door shut behind him."

LS: "All across the country, sport stars' agents were checking the fine print on their clients' endorsement contracts with equipment manufacturers."
Tamara! aka Amy G. Dala
I give it a MEH. I see others have noticed and noted the typo's, that was distracting. Over all, just not my type of story, typical predictable cop story. I was hoping it would be a different non-predictable cop story. I did give 3 stars cuz it was free, so feel I didn't lose anything other than 2 hours of my afternoon.
Shannon
Jul 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Got this as a cheap read on my e-reader and had no expectations going into it. Thought it would be a good summer read and was pleasantly surprised by the writing. I will try another and see if Davidson keeps it up.
Joanne
Aug 14, 2015 rated it liked it
This Kindle mystery was worth reading. Yes, there were many characters to keep track of, voodoo terms that I had to look up on my e-reader, and a mystery to be solved. I'll be reading more books in this series.
Susan
Feb 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, suspense
Overall it was an interesting plot premise with some voodoo and the setting of New Orleans flavoring the storyline. A lot of characters to keep track of, too. A couple of plot holes made this a little less satisfying than it could have been.
Black Butterfly
Nov 18, 2013 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: ADULTS
Recommended to Black Butterfly by: BOOKBUB
WAAY TO MANY CHARACTERS TO KEEP UP WITH, REALLY GOT CONFUSING & BORING AFTER AWHILE. MIND BOGGLING! YA' NEED A F*CKIN" SCORE CARD!! ONE THING HAITI IS DOOMED BECAUSE OF OVER-THE-TOP-CORRUPTION. THIS MAY HAVE BEEN FICTION BUT I THINK IT MIRRORS THE TRUTH. SAD! ;< I DID LIKE THE COVER THOUGH.
Nicole
Jul 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebook
Awesome read about corporate greed and political corruption set against the backdrop of New Orleans. Rich in New Orleans culture - this was a great murder mystery that left you guessing until the last page.
Jeff Youngblood
Jan 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Pretty good read. Closer editing would have been a plus. Many times "it" was printed when it likely should have been "if" Many other errors that appear to just be typos in the second half of the book. But, it was a good, easy, enjoyable read.
Tif Mulally
May 20, 2014 rated it it was ok
Though I enjoyed the premise of the book, I found that the book read rather slow. I also found that some of the supporting characters were not developed very well- I had to keep going back to remind myself who was who.
Victoria
Dec 03, 2013 rated it liked it
This was a good book and I look forward to reading more in the series. The reason I only gave 3 stars was the fact that there were numerous typographical errors. Thorough proofreading would be in order in the future.
Jeannine Stewart
Jun 28, 2014 rated it liked it
I would have enjoyed this Kindle book more if it had less typos and grammatical errors. There were so many that it was very distracting. I thought the plot was a little shaky but I liked it enough to read more in this series.
Dawn Marie Shirk
Jul 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Excellent Book

If you really enjoy reading a great mystery full of evil murderous suspects. Then this is the book for you. It's got great twists and turns.
RangerGirl
Jun 24, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, free-books
Good story

Lots of errors. This was a good story though. Lots of different "threads". Kept me reading to find out the whole story and I still feel like I don't know it all.
Kerry  sullivan
I enjoyed this. The plot was complicated but I was able to follow it, but it was not easy at times to keep all the players straight. It was worth the effort though.
Ruth Turner
Apr 27, 2014 rated it it was ok
Not bad, an ok read
Kimberly Mussell
Apr 24, 2014 rated it liked it
There was a good story line; however it seems they did not use spell check!
  • Stolen In Paradise (Lei Crime #4.5)
  • Fairwood
  • Absolution (Frank Renzi, #1)
  • Vampire Apocalypse Books 1 - 3 (Vampire Apocalypse, #1-3)
  • The Samurai Strategy
  • Necessary Evils
  • All Saints' Secrets (Saints Mysteries #2)
  • Broken Angel (House Phoenix, #1)
  • Into the End (Into the End, #1)
  • The Bones of Others (Skye Cree, #1)
  • Silver's Odyssey
  • Harmless
  • Bite Me (Devlin Haskell Mysteries #3)
  • Indisputable Proof
  • Mugging the Muse
  • The Housewife Assassin's Killer 2-Book Set (The Housewife Assassin Series)
  • The Child Taker & Criminally Insane Box Set (Detective Alec Ramsay Series, #1-3)
  • Red Tide
AJ Davidson is a traditionally published author and playwright, who, in Spring 2010, made the switch to Indie. He is keen to explore the potential of a rapidly changing publishing world, and is enjoying the closer contact with his readers that e-books afford.

AJ has a degree in Social Anthropology. Married for 34 years, he has two children, a Beagle called Bruce, and Dusty, a very mean cat.

Not one

Val Bosanquet Mysteries (7 books)
  • Death Sentence (Val Bosanquet Mystery #2)
  • Moon on the Bayou (Val Bosanquet Mystery #3)
  • Sandman (Val Bosanquet Mystery #4)
  • The Kingdom (The Val Bosanquet Mysteries 5)
  • A Stillness Lost
  • Job's Comfort (Val Bosanquet Mysteries #7)
“order a bottle of wine, drink a toast to his wife’s pregnancy, and forget all about Jackson for a few hours. Instead, he paid his bill and headed out. The warrant for Logjam was a month old and no dealer could stay out of sight much longer than that before his customers migrated to a new supplier. Logjam would have resurfaced by now. The first place he visited was a washout. So was the second. He moved on to a zydeco joint. It stank of flat beer and stale smoke. The customers paid him little heed as he nursed a Canadian Club and ginger at the bar. He hadn’t long to wait until he spotted who held the concession. The bartender handed three customers a complimentary book of matches each as he set down their drinks. Two of them already had cigarettes lit, their lighters squared neatly on top of their cigarette packets. Val called him over. “I’m looking for a friend of mine.” The man eyeballed him. “A guy like you has no friends.” “His name’s Logjam. Have you seen him recently?” The bartender wiped the zinc counter with a sponge cloth. “Never heard of him. Does he come in here?” Val set his shield on the bar. “Have you” 0 likes