Start by marking “L'Aube du désert” as Want to Read:
L'Aube du désert

L'Aube du désert

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  2,132 Ratings  ·  89 Reviews
Fashion model, UN ambassador and courageous spirit, Waris Dirie is a remarkable woman. Born into a family of tribal desert nomads in Somalia, she told her story - enduring female circumcision at five years old; running away at 12 through the desert in order to escape an arranged marriage; being discovered by Terence Donovan as she worked as a cleaner in London; and becomin ...more
Published November 1st 2002 by Albin Michel (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about L'Aube du désert, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about L'Aube du désert

Nikoleta
Nov 16, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
3,5 αστεράκια.
Αρκετά καλό. Μας παρουσίασε την Σομαλία, την ζωή, τα ήθη και τα έθιμα της χώρας και φυσικά τα πάρα πολλά προβλήματα. Ήταν ευχάριστο, ξεκούραστο και μικρό. Νιώθω όμως ότι πολλές φορές η Γούορις φάσκει και αντιφάσκει όσον αφορά τις σκέψεις τις και τα αισθήματα της. Νιώθω ότι παλεύει με το παρελθόν και το παρόν της, την Σομαλική της ταυτότητα και την "Δυτική" ποιο μοντέρνα γυναίκα μέσα της.
Hayat
I read this autobiography many years ago so my memory is a bit fuzzy about the details. But what I'm sure of is that Waris Dirie is a brave, resourceful and inspiring woman who risked all to make a better life for herself despite the challenges she faced. But most importantly, she gave back to the world by fighting for the human rights of others and opposing female genital mutilation (FGM). I look forward to rereading this book soon.
Marina Maidou
Jun 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Αυγή στην Έρημο - Γουόρις Ντίρι
Πρώτ' απ' όλα, αυτό που κρίνεται εδώ δεν είναι μυθιστόρημα, αλλά περισσότερο μια καταγραφή των ημερών της ακτιβίστριας-μοντέλου Γουόρις Ντίρι που υπέστη κλειτοριδεκτομή μετά την πρώτη έκρηξη αντιδράσεων, η επιστροφή της στην Σομαλία και η προσπάθεια επαφής της με την οικογένειά της. Επομένως, αφήνουμε στην άκρη τα λογοτεχνικά κριτήρια (που έτσι κι αλλιώς θα έδιναν τα εύσημα για μια ρεαλιστική και ταυτόχρονα αισθαντική απόδοση των εντυπώσεων από τη γενέθλια χώρα) κα
Ankur Rastogi
Desert Dawn is the sequel to the very popular & appreciated book "Desert Flower". While the first one was excellent from almost all aspects be it content, writing style, readability, somehow the second one fails in almost everything.

The first one had an agenda, a message which was put across very strongly. The issue of female genital mutiliation was shocking which was presented with utmost care and sensitivity.

This one is about Waris journey back to her roots in Somalia. But it just come acr
Neelam Babul
Oct 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An exceptional, vibrant and inspiring story of a woman born in Somalia who runs away from the harsh and strict life to the world of glamour and success in New York.

A lot of books portray Somalia as a war torn country full of insecurities and danger lurking at every corner. However, Waris shows us the beauty and strength of the extraordinary lives residing in Somalia.
Yumi Learner
Jun 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
A couple of days ago I finished reading my twenty first book this year in English. I've been reading a book every day, and my goal for this year is also to accomplish to read forty eight books in English. I've been keeping it for three years.

My twenty first book was as great as my twentieth book. It was sequent to the book. I learned and thought a lot of things about Africa, Muslim, male dominated society and female circumcision. Before reading these books, I've never heard the word before. I've
Stefanieliza
Sep 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I got this book from a friend as a second hand and I immediately concluded that it might not be any good because she willingly gave it away. But hotdamn I was wrong! This book, reporting on Waris Dirie's return to her family in Somalia, is both heartfelt and informative. She has a way of explaining things so as to give a good insight into her culture and her country. I am amazed by this incredibly strong woman and her unbelievable story. Who would think that someone who never went to school coul ...more
 Emily
Jan 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
One of the best books I have read in a while.
I've never really read an autobiography before, so this was something very new to me, and reading about such a strong woman was a great place to start.
I've never really read anything set in Afeica, so that was completely new to me. Seeing the different culture and traditions was truly educating - I couldn't put this book down.
Lisi
Waris Dirie erzählt in ihrem aktuellen Buch „Schwarze Frau, weißes Land“ von Europa, ihrer neuen Heimat, aber auch von ihrer Sehnsucht nach ihrem Heimatland Afrika und ihren Plänen das Leben für die Menschen dort zu verbessern. Ein großes Thema dieses Buches ist wieder ihre Aufklärungsarbeit über weibliche Genitalverstümmelung und wie wichtig der Kampf für die Natur und die Frauenrechte in Afrika.
Was ich als sehr anregend empfunden habe, ist das jedes neue Kapitel mit einer afrikanischen Lebens
Manja
Sep 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In diesem Buch erzählt Waris von ihrem Kampf gegen die Genitalverstümmelung bei jungen Mädchen. Ihr Buch "Wüstenblume soll verfilmt werden und sie reist zu den Dreharbeiten in ihr Heimatland Afrika. Problematik ist, das es auch auf der ganzen Welt, wo es Landsleute gibt, die an der Tradition festhalten wollen.
Sie selbst ist ja auch ein Opfer dieser Verstümmelung. Da sie mittlerweile als Model ja ziemlich bekannt ist, nutzt sie dies auch um eine eigene Foundation zu gründen und sie ist auch UN-Bo
Liralen
In Desert Flower, Dirie told her story of a nomadic childhood in Somalia and her eventual escape immigration to the West; here she describes returning to Somalia for a visit after more than twenty years away.

It's true what they say; there is no feeling like it--there is no feeling like home. Oh how I missed that feeling of belonging to something much greater than myself. (180)

It's a homecoming, but Dirie also knows that she was right to leave Somalia, that she is better off in New York. Her visi
Tina ♥ Bookaholic
Liked that book and it's still a though way for Waris Dirie, but she is still a strong and admirable woman. I respect here and she is great.

Handlung:
Diese Geschichte setzt fast 20 Jahre nach der Flucht von Waris Dirie aus Somalia an. Erzählt wird wie sie, nach einer privaten Krise, den Entschluss fasst zurück in ihre Heimat zu gehen um ihre Familie zu finden. Dort muss sie sich mit ihrer Vergangenheit und mit der Widerbegegnung ihrer Familie auseinander setzten und die Herausforderung meiste
Susan
The story itself was good, easy to read, and honest. In terms of the Author, considering she wrote this book about herself you would think that you finish thinking that this woman was beautiful and lovely and just a really good person ultimately. But to be honest I felt that she DIDN'T paint herself in a good light and this made the book all the more charming for me, and real.

Waris talks about some VERY difficult subjects with honesty but succinctly so that you don't feel bad for reading and ta
jazz-ee2
Apr 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookcrossing
This book was sent by the lovely bookfrogster, to be read before starting off on another journey of a joint bookring along with the first book Desert Flower.

I was really looking forward to finding out more about the next instalment of Waris Dirie's life, and wasn't disappointed. Whilst Desert Flower looked back on her experience as a child and young adult, growing up in a Nomad family in the Somali desert, in this book Dirie returns to Somalia as an adult to see her family and country once more.
Uthpala Dassanayake
After telling us her story in ‘Desert Flower’, Waris Dirie has dedicated Desert Dawn entirely for her long awaited visit to her relatives. It was a troubled time in Somalia and against all the warnings from people around her, she decides to make the visit. You can see the same stubborn and determined spirit which made her to run away as a young girl urging her to make the visit against all advices.
The incidents and feelings are presented in a very straight forward, yet moving manner. Waris’ stru
Ape
Bookcrossing journal:

Very fascinating read about Somalia - of which I knew so little beforehand. And in some respects it sounds a bit nightmarish living there - eg. repression of women, female circumcision. But Waris is a Somalian herself, equally frustrated by these problems and yet she still loves her country and her people and this really comes through in her writing and allows you to see other aspects of the country.

She ran away from the country in her early teens to escape an arranged marri
Tinea
The second memoir of Waris Dirie, a Somalian woman from a nomadic family who ran away from home at the age of 13 to avoid a forced marriage to an old man. In her first book (which I have not read), she tells the story of her childhood in Somalia, her infibulation, her escape across the desert to Europe, and her eventual "discovery" there by a modeling agent. In the intervening years Dirie has made a career as a model and become the outspoken UN Ambassador for Women's Rights, focusing on female g ...more
Vilma
En bok som rörde upp många känslor kring hur kvinnor behandlades/behandlas i länder som t.ex. Somalia. Jag förstår verkligen inte varför kvinnor och män ska behandlas så olika och att kvinnor inte får göra vissa saker som män får.

Jag tycker att Waris Dirie är en oerhört modig ung kvinna som vågar stå upp mot de saker som är "vanliga" i hennes hemland och kämpa för att det ska undanskaffas. Som det här med könsstympning. Det ju helt sjuk!!! Liksom hur kom man ens på det här??

Förlåt, det är myck
chucklesthescot
Waris has her new life in the USA but her mind returns to the family she left behind in war torn Somalia and she decides she must go home with her brother. On the journey she finds her new Western ideals clashing with the teachings she was brought up with in Somalia, and she struggles to be taken seriously because she is a woman.

This was fascinating to read although I have not read her first book where she escapes an arranged marriage in Somalia. Here we see all the differences between two cult
RainbowWriter
Feb 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: africa
This bravely honestly told story left me deeply impressed. I chose to read this, because I'm interested in human rights and women's position in the world. It tells a story about being a top model from a different ankle and it succeeded to dispel my prejudice towards models and the modelling branch. Waris Dirie uses at times so bold language and tells her story so honestly without even trying to embellish it that at some points it made me gasp in shock. I knew before about the dangers of female c ...more
Sabrina Rutter
I read this right after reading Desert Flower! I'm thinking about getting her third book Desert Children.
Waris goes back to Somalia after being gone for 20 years, and reunites with her family! This book made me tear up a few times. I also got angry at the way women are treated in Somalia. On the journey back to the airport that will take them home, Waris and her brother stop at a resturaunt. The people running the resturaunt expect Waris to eat in the back by the restroom (which is more like an
Kristy
May 22, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was really good. Great book if you want to get cultured or are feeling sorry for yourself because you think you are poor or have it bad in this country.

I was telling my husband Alen about how the author critized the U.S. when she was living there and then when she went back to Somali how she critizing that country too. It was kind of like she was never satisfied in either place. Alen told me he has relatives who live in France who are the same way. Always complaining about France but
ABC
May 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read "Desert Flower" about how Waris Dirie escaped an arranged marriage, left Somalia and ended up becoming a model and a spokesperson against female genital mutilation. It was fascinating. I skipped the next book "Desert Children" because it wasn't in our library. So this is the third book "Desert Dawn."

It is about how she returns to her home of war-torn Somalia, despite the fact that her British passport forbids British citizens to go to Somalia and how everyone tells her it is too dange
Amanda Morris
Jan 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
I liked this second book better than the first, by a little. I loved hearing the journey of Waris, who had come so far in the first book, all the way from Somalia to be a model in New York. Pretty amazing story in itself. But this second book is the journey of her return to Somalia after creating a new life for herself in New York. Oh, how the cultures are so very different. It is great to read about the differences and I loved it from Waris' perspective. How she loves her family so much and res ...more
Noelani
Sep 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am so humbled by this book. I hadn't read the first one, about her escape from Somalia, and actually found this book while shifting house and started reading it. WOW. such a beautiful perspective on life and change making from an accomplished and incredibly brave woman. intense at times hearing about her life, but always coming back to this immense sense of hope for one of the most troubled places on earth. if this woman can go through so much at the hands of even her own family and still have ...more
مليحه
Jun 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
از متن کتاب :
مادرم نام یکی از شاهکارهای طبیعت را روی من گذاشت. واریس به معنی گل صحراست. گل صحرا در محیط های بی آب و علف می روید، جایی که کم تر موجود زنده ای می تواند در آن زنده بماند. گاهی اتفاق می افتد که یک سال هم در کشورم باران نمی بارد. اما وقتی بالاخره باران می بارد و زمین پر گرد و خاک می شوید، معجزه رخ می دهد و گل ها ظاهر می شوند. گل صحرا رنگ نارنجی مایل به زرد درخشانی دارد و به همین دلیل زرد رنگ محبوب من است
چه قدر خوندن کتاب گُل صحرا که زندگینامه دختری آفریقایی است جذاب بود. داستان مبارز
Jo
May 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although Waris Dirie fled her homeland, she never forgot the country and culture that moulded her. The world of famine and violence, where women have no voice and no place - the very world that nearly destroyed her also gave her the tools to survive. She traces the roots of her courage, resilience and humour back to her motherland, and most particularly to her mother.
Desert Dawn is the story of that return and a testimony to the stubborn fact that you can love something dearly and yet not love
Janet Render
Mar 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I ususually only read fiction, but my aunt recommended this book to me because I am currently taking a course in uni on islam, and she thought this book would give me more insight in the world of the musllims. I do not agree with that statement, as this book is more about Somalia and the culture of nomads than it is about islam. Still, I found the book to be informative, interesting, and very touching since this is a rather personal report. This is the kind of book that somewhat unintentionally ...more
Elie
Jan 13, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, africa
The next installment of Dirie's memoirs--before her next book, which is dry to the point of unreadable and focuses only on FGM--follows her as she returns to Somalia after a decade away. Dirie's joy at being home and seeing her family are interrupted by occasional frustration at the limits on women imposed by Somali culture, and she expresses both feelings clearly and with lyricism (or her ghost writer does). This is a quick and rather engrossing read, as Dirie's story is quite an exceptional on ...more
Jessica Nilsson
Feb 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
Great book! I wasn't so fond of the first chapters, but when Waris finally comes to Africa (which the whole book is about) it becomes a very interesting portrait of desert life, and family relations, in Somalia. As a female reader I got both frustrated and scared due to the situation for women there, but Waris way to tell her story also makes you smile. I wonder if there are more books out there, which describe African "countryside-life" in a similar way? If there is I'd gladly read them!
  • Born in the Big Rains: A Memoir of Somalia and Survival
  • To the Edge of the Sky: A Story of Love, Betrayal, Suffering, and the Strength of Human Courage
  • Aman: The Story of a Somali Girl
  • The Perfect Gentleman: A Muslim Boy Meets the West
  • Passarola Rising
  • Die Tochter der Wanderhure (Die Wanderhure, #4)
  • Hinter goldenen Gittern: Ich wurde im Harem geboren
  • AMA
  • Die Ratten. Berliner Tragikomödie
  • Sweeney Todd: The Real Story of the Demon Barber of Fleet Street
  • Las puertas templarias
Waris Dirie (Somali: Waris Diiriye, Arabic: واريس ديري) (born in 1965) is a Somali model, author, actress and human rights activist.

In 1997, Waris abandoned her modeling career to focus on her work against female circumcision. That same year, she was appointed UN Special Ambassador for the Elimination of Female Genital Mutilation(FGM).
More about Waris Dirie...