Start by marking “Call Me Hope” as Want to Read:
Call Me Hope

Call Me Hope

As 11-year-old Hope struggles to live under the pressures of her verbally abusive mother, she's tempted to run away but instead chooses resilience. She creates a secret safe haven and an innovative point system (giving herself points for every bad thing her mother says to her); finds comfort and inspiration from Anne Frank, The Diary of a Young Girl; and gains a support ...more
Published September 26th 2009 by Little, Brown Young Readers (first published April 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Call Me Hope, please sign up.
Tina Kacey As I remember, the setting isn't specified but it probably takes place in Oregon where the author lives. It is about a girl who is being emotionally…moreAs I remember, the setting isn't specified but it probably takes place in Oregon where the author lives. It is about a girl who is being emotionally abused at home.(less)

Start your review of Call Me Hope
Kerry Cerra
Aug 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mg
Eleven-year old Hope Elliot takes a lot of abuse, but being called hopeless, or sworn at doesn’t hurt nearly as much as being called stupid. What’s worse, it’s her own mom who hurls these insults at Hope on a daily basis. Sadly, Hope is so used to it, she’s learned to live in her bedroom, tiptoe around the house when Mom’s home, and never, ever ask her mom for anything. That is, until the permission slips for sixth grade Outdoor School are handed out. Hope’s been dreaming about the five day ...more
Gretchen Olson
Jan 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Thank you for the gratifying response to my book, Call Me Hope. I am pleased it is reaching deep into readers' hearts & souls.

My goal was to acquaint readers, as young as possible, with the insidious nature of verbal abuse. I have yearned to sweep children into my arms after I've witnessed parents yelling, swearing, and humiliating them in public; I have wanted to wipe their tears and assure them that they are NOT dumb shits, stupid, worthless, idiots; to assure them that they are valuable
Emma
Jul 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was one of those "Couldn't put down books." The kind you read before class and on the way home from school. I was not excited about having to read the Oregon Battle of the Books, books in 6th grade, but I'm glad I did because I got to read one book I really loved, Call Me Hope.
Anyce Paul-Emile
Sep 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Do you want to read a book that makes you really think about life, and wonder how other people live? A book that can make you feel like your the character making a decision on what to do? If this is the kind of book you want to read, then this is the book for you. This is a realistic fictional book that can touch your heart.This is a great story that can really change your thoughts.
This story takes place sometime around the 21st century, in a small town. It is about a 6th grader who is
Tori
Dec 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
in my opinion, this book was one of the best I have ever read. It was tense dramatic, terrifying, and funny all at one. The story is about a teenage girl who endures verbal, and sometimes physical abuse by her mother, all the while her older brother is just a bystander. This issue is extremely relatable to many girls, and even boys in our society today. This book was literally heart breaking because of the negative and degrading language Hope's mother uses in order to talk to her daughter. The ...more
Anna
Mar 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone basically, but it is more of a girl's book.
This is a great book! The author works for the "Hands and Words are Not For Hurting" project (or at least I think that's what it's called) which fights against verbal and physical abuse. Something I thought was interesting about this book was that it was about verbal abuse. For most people, whenever they hear the words "child abuse," they think physical abuse. But really verbal abuse has just as much impact on the child. Words can hurt just as much.

This book is about a girl named Hope who lives
wanderer
Nov 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
The story of Hope (sometimes called Hopeless) revolves around the diary of Anne Frank, which is really cool. I loved the way the author worked in some Holocaust history and wove two very different story lines together. And I have to say, Hope's teacher was awesome!

Hope is the victim of verbal abuse. The parts where Hope's mom cussed her out and called her names didn't make me the saddest, though. What made me saddest was how pitifully pleased Hope was when someone said someone nice to her.
Gabby
Sep 25, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hope Elliot is twelve years old, and she suffers verbal abuse ... from her mother. "Call Me Hope" tells of Hope's sixth-grade year as she is called "stupid," "hopeless," and cursed at by her mother, works at a second-hand store, and begs her unforgiving mother figure to allow her to go to Outdoor School.

I read this book over the summer, and have reread it again and again. Although this book is really sad, I really enjoyed the way it was written. It's really, really frustrating because Hope begs
Brandi Rae Fong
In many ways, I found this to be an incredibly sad and touching book. Many kids, like Hope, don't even realize that being called stupid, hopeless, dumb, loser or being sweared at or talked to with sarcasm is verbal abuse; causing it to become one of those problems that exists, but not acknowledged. When not confronted, it can lead to other issues, such as depression.

Hope was a great character who was able to find support both in books and from the people around her, and I think that her
Leslie
Aug 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
124maya
Oct 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
I love and hated this book at the same time. I loved the little girl, Hope, and adored her for being so strong. Hope is in the 6th grade and she is at the top of her school. Her mother is abusive, but not in the way you would think. Her mother abuses her vebally. These horrible words leave Hope trying to practically live in her closet trying to escape them. Hope imagines running away from home everyday to live with someone nicer, whether they are from her school or the shop she loves to go to, ...more
Emma H.
Apr 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-quarter
Call Me Hope is an inspirational book about a 12-year-old girl named Hope Elliot. Hope has the life of any average sixth grade student. She rides the bus to Eola Hills Grade school in Washington, has friends, does her homework, and gets along well with her older brother Tyler. There is only one problem with her life. Hope is under constant pressure from her mother, who verbally abuses her nearly every day. To cope with the constant name-calling and putting down, Hope creates a point system for ...more
Karen
Mar 15, 2011 rated it did not like it
Don't take an intense subject and water it down for an audience of children! You can't water down emotional abuse and trying to do so takes away from the issue at hand. I felt the author could have researched the issue more and written a book for young adults that showed the complexity and intensity of emotional abuse.
Taney Hennick
Sep 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I thought it was a very frustrating story because she would not tell her mom to stop calling her bad words like stupid and many more mean words to her. But i also thought it a very good book. And that a lot of things that happened to her a normal sixth grade girl would not have to pass through that like her mom not letting her go to outdoor school and calling her hopeless instead of her real name:Hope or having to buy your own boots since your mom would not help you with it or not letting her ...more
Rebecca
Jan 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
Moriah got this book at a book exchange for Christmas. She read it and kept telling me that I needed to read it, that it was so good. Finally, I sat to read it and cried and cried and cried. I kept asking her if it got any better and she just kept saying keep reading. It did get better, but it was a very sad story! I do think it is a good book for kids Moriah's age to read, but a mom should read it with them to have a good little chat after. Just prepare to cry.

2019
I just re-read this book to
El Addams
Feb 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is what made me realize that my father is abusive. It is the best piece of fiction about emotional abuse I have ever read. It clearly presents the mother as being in the wrong, and shows possible supports for children being abused. Reading it made me realize that just because my father did not hit, he was not automatically in the right. I still struggle to this day with facing his abuse of both me, my mother, and my sister, but this book put me on the right track to deal with it.

Sarena
Jan 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Call Me Hope is a touching and inspiring story about the power of courage, strength, and hope. Sixth-grader Hope Elliot struggles with being verbally abused by her mother while her older brother receives normal treatment. Though she often wants to run away, she always picks herself back up and fights through the pain, showing that even an eleven-year-old can find the determination and hope to stay strong. The book is sad, but teaches a very valuable lesson that everyone could learn from.
Sushin Dahal
Feb 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It was so interesting and also sad. I at least cried ten times while reading this book, and this could have happened to anyone, sadly.
Hope
Dec 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
this book is truly amazing. I fell in love with it instantly. It's pulls you I'm and somehow you just connect with hope. I know I did.
Angie Fehl
Dec 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
* Read for the 2017 Anti-Bully Readathon week: November 13th-19th

As of late, Eleven year old Hope Elliot has seriously been feeling the strain of living with a verbally abusive mother. Just for example, we learn that Hope's middle name is Marie, named after "a famous opera singer" (I'm assuming Maria Callas?) but her mother says it was a silly choice since Hope is actually pretty "hopeless" and can't carry a tune in a bucket. Oh, and Mommy Dearest here also spits out that Hope's father left them
Ian
Jan 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Call Me Hope is a book about a girl named Hope, and her struggles with her verbally abusive mom. Hope is a girl that tries her best to always please her mom, but she never seems to make it. To speak generally, it is about what it feels like to be in her position and what she does to help herself feel okay.
This is a book that I think lots of people should read, and not just for the sake of entertainment. If you usually read action novels or sci-fi type books, then this book may not be very fun,
Ashlynn
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Call me Hope by Gretchen Olson is a fiction. The main character is Hope Elliot. Hope is an 11- year old girl who’s in 6th grade and getting ready to go to outdoor school. Hope’s older brother Tyler says outdoor school is fun and Hope would really like it. Tyler and Hope always nag and pick fights with each other like most siblings so, and instead of the parent always taking the younger ones side, Hope always is the one who gets the discipline. With all the school work Hope has, she has to deal ...more
Ella Skov
May 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read the book "Call Me Hope" by Gretchen Olson. It is about a young girl named Hope who is struggling because her mother is verbally abusive towards her. In order to find some relief, she finds a space of her own. It is somewhere safe where she is able to release some pain. Due to this, she is able to confront her problems and at some point solve them.
I really enjoyed this book. It was very interested and eye opening. I loved the word choice she used it seemed to make the book more vivid. The
Aneesa
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Call Me Hope,is basically my entire life story except I've never created a a point system but I've had my own ways.I truly love this book and I was absolutely astonished by all the creativity and the figurative language was perfect.There was so much detail before I could get to the next part that I started to cry.Her life was written into this deep true and unsuspecting book. The suspense was high and I couldn't have found any other amazing book. This is one of my favorites. Hope theirs a ...more
Jang
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: in-my-shelf
This a real gem. I was on the edge of giving up reading books realistic fiction but this book happened to me.

I wish I read this book when it was first released in 2008 because back then I would know that THIS was not only happening to me, that other child was experiencing THIS. I really felt what Hope felt. Remembering my childhood. Remembering my wounds once again. My feelings coming back.

Thank you Ms. Olson for writing this gem and hopefully everyone would reach this book.

and also take the
Abi
Not exactly a DNF. I intened to finish it, but the owner of this book is so impaitient to return this so I did what she asked to. And therefore, I just skimmed the book for how it ends. Yup. I blame college life. :/

Anyway, not a bad story. In fact, this is the first time I've read a book about verbal abuse, in which is somehow unheard of in YA lit. A little unsubtle at times that it almost turned me off (It's sponsored by an support organization, after all), but still a good read.

And yes, I do
Ruchitha R
Apr 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Call Me Hope is definitely one of my favorite books and I recommend it to every reader who is looking for a deep, emotional novel. The author very gracefully addressed the issue of emotional and verbal abuse, and handles it very well, especially since it involves a young child. Hope's job and Next to New, and the paper bag lesson offered some amazing perspectives of others into Hope's life an coping methods for victims of abuse. This was the first and only book that made me cry, but it was ...more
Evelyn Saidov
Oct 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: t-l-307
FICTION 2007
I thought this was a very interesting and thought provoking book. It also took place near where I live, so a lot of the things that Hope went through in school I could relate to (such as outdoor camp). This book could be used in a classroom to teach about verbal abuse, and how it can be just as damaging if not more, than physical abuse. It can help raise awareness, as well as provide comfort for those students experiencing verbal abuse in their lives.
Laurie
Sep 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids
I loved that this author tackled the very important and often unseen issue of verbal abuse. The plot was engaging and the pacing was tight. She even -- gasp! -- used the curse words that kids who endure verbal abuse hear daily, despite the taboo against using such words in MG novels. Despite all these accomplishments, Olson lost me at the end. The ending was just too pat, too perfect -- unlike the rest of the book, which "told it like it is."
Eunice
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing MG/YA book!!!

I remember the first time I read this book years ago, I read it all in one sitting. This is an amazing book, and I remember reading it many times until I had to give it back to school at the end of the year.
I highly reccomend this book as there are not many like this with the subjects of
- money issues
- mother daughter relationship
-verbal abuse
- speaking up
- sexism
and many more, and these may not sound specific, but when reading this, they very much are.

• Obedience
  • Sal
  • July, July
  • Graceful (Willow Falls, #5)
  • So B. It (So B. It, #1)
  • Spirit Week Showdown (The Magnificent Mya Tibbs, #1)
  • Mya in the Middle
  • The Girl with the Silver Eyes
  • Saving Mr. Terupt (Mr. Terupt, #3)
  • Slider
  • Mr. Terupt Falls Again (Mr. Terupt, #2)
  • Time It Right
  • Wayside School Boxed Set (Wayside School #1-3)
  • So Hard to Say
  • Royally Abandoned
  • Anatomy of an Illness: As Perceived by the Patient
  • Super Sad True Love Story
  • Chasing Cassandra (The Ravenels, #6)
“To Hope and to many more turkey sandwiches.” “Thank you,” I said, the cold turkey warming my stomach. After” 1 likes
“Keep trying. Don’t give up. Rain” 1 likes