Start by marking “One-Dog Canoe” as Want to Read:
One-Dog Canoe

One-Dog Canoe

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  310 Ratings  ·  55 Reviews
Sometimes – the more the merrier

I set off one morning in my little red canoe.
My dog wagged his tail.
"Can I come, too?"
"You bet," I said.
"A trip for two – just me and you."

But when "with a slap and a swim" Beaver scrambles in, and then "with a ‘woo-hooo!' – flap!" Loon lands in the young canoeist's lap, it's clear that this will be no ordinary canoe trip.

A bouncy rhyming te
Published March 6th 2003 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR) (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about One-Dog Canoe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One-Dog Canoe

Amy Forrester
Apr 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
One day a young girl and her faithful dog push their canoe into the lake and set off for on a trip for two. As they paddle around the lake they pass Beaver, “Can I come, too?” The girl objects that this is a “one-dog canoe,” but Beaver hops in with a slap of his tail. Despite her protestations, she somehow ends up in a “one-moose, one-bear, one-wolf, one-loon, one-beaver, one-dog canoe!” With such a heavy load all it takes is a small frog to tip the canoe into the water, “Plop! Swoosh-a-bang flo ...more
Jaclyn Giordano
Mar 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
One-Dog Canoe by Mary Casanova is a picture book in poetic form that is intended for readers in preschool through grade one. I gave it four stars. “Can I come too? Just me and my pal in a one-dog canoe.” This humorous and rhythmic picture book is full of adventure as more and animals join our little girl and her dog on their trip down the river in a canoe. Onomatopoeia, rhyme, imagery, and alliteration bring this bouncy tail to life as animal after animal slowly jump in and start to topple this ...more
Josie B.
Jun 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
I am always looking for stories we can re-tell with the parachute, and this one has become one of my favorites. We read it first, talk about the pictures and some of the new vocabulary--most preschoolers don't know what a loon is or a moose's rack--then we re-tell using the parachute, Beanie Babies, and some puppets. The parachute is our canoe, dipping lower in the water with each animal until the final one makes the canoe toss all into the air.
Kathryn
May 24, 2010 rated it liked it
A fun cumulative tale about a girl and her dog who go off for a paddle in her canoe. It's just the right size, "a one-dog canoe" But soon, other animals want to climb aboard, from a bear to a moose to a frog. I love the humorous illustrations and only wish the poor animals hadn't looked so dejected in the final illustration. Otherwise, it's extremely cute and a fun read-aloud.
Jim
Adore
Angie
Jul 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
When I rate children's books, part of what I looking for is how enjoyable it is to read aloud, and how often my children ask for a reading. Once was enough for them and for me on this one. It was fine. It just didn't have whatever it is that makes us want to come back for more.
Sylvester
May 13, 2017 rated it it was ok
2* art
2* story

Not bad, but nothing new in a many-times-told tale.
Dawn
Sep 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing

Worldview - Universally Acceptable

Setting:
Location - Canada Time Period - Current

Review
An absolutely adorable rhyming story that preschool through early elementary children will love to read again and again. As a little girl sets out for an afternoon in her “one dog canoe”, all the other animals want to come too. Of course eventually “Plop! Swoosh-a-bang flop!”, they all end up in the water. The silly detailed pictures and the bouncy rhythm will capture young children’s attention keeping them in
Carly
Apr 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
One-Dog Canoe is a silly book about a girl and her dog who set off for a trip in her canoe. As they go along their way, different animals come up to ask if they can come too. When the girl tells them that she does not have enough room, they hop aboard anyway! This is all okay until the canoe really fills up with bigger animals such as a wolf, a bear, and a moose! The girl and her dog have to figure out a way to get the animals off her canoe, or they're all going down! This is a great book for yo ...more
Kristin Miller
A little girl set off to go on a canoe ride when her dog asked if he could come. As they were out on their ride many animals wanted to go with them. It is a very fun book that all children will enjoy. Reminds me of The Mitten book.

This is a very fun book! I would love to read this book in my classroom when we are opening or closing an activity. I think a lot of the children will enjoy it. I thought it was a fun book and I would definitely want to own it for my own classroom. I don't know if it
Dolly
Sep 29, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a humorous, cumulative tale that has a rhythmic narrative and hilarious illustrations. The story is reminiscent of The Mitten, and we talked about the similarities between the two stories.

We loved the lake setting and the different animals that were featured. At times the rhyming narrative was a bit awkward to read aloud, but on the whole, it's an entertaining story with lots of fun onomatopoeia. We enjoyed reading it together.
Michael
A silly book illustrated with a sense of humor (love the expressions on the little girl's face!) about a canoe that is filled with more and more and MORE animals. Rhyming throughout, not brilliant, but fun to read aloud. The tiniest animal ends up being the last straw in this adventure, with wet results.
Melanie
A young girl takes her dog out in her small canoe. Along their way down the river they meet a beaver, loon, wolf, bear, moose and finally a frog. Each animals comes aboard even though there is only room for 1 dog.

Hilarity ensues when the frog is the last animal to hop in and capsizes the whole boat.
Jackie
It's a One-Dog Canoe until beaver, loon, wolf, bear, moose, and frog want to join in on the fun. They teetered, they tottered, until...splash! A swim was just the thing for all...until it is a One-Dog Canoe after all.

A fun rhyming book for storytime with beautiful, expressive illustrations.
Brynja Carlson
Oct 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Very very nice pictures in this book! The artist is very good and there is always something funny going on in the picture that is not readily noticable. The story rhymed, and though some of the rhymes did seem a little bit forced, it was not very noticable. We read this book many times but didn't get sick of it. We liked it and would get it again.
Sandy
Sep 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This picture book is one of my favorites by a MN author. The rhyming text and the beautiful illustrations of a girl just trying to go for a paddle in her canoe with her dog are priceless. I especially love the expressions on her face as well as those of the animals she encounters.
Judy
Mar 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
My children got to meet this author at school and one got the opportunity to check it out from the library. They really enjoyed me reading it to them and the adventures of all the animals taking a ride in the canoe. It was a fun time reading this to my children as well!
KimBear
Oct 02, 2013 rated it liked it
"A girl and her dog set out in their canoe one morning, only to be insistently joined by a series of animals, large and small."

A really fun read...reminds me of "The Mitten" but with a canoe instead.
Juliana Lee
The reader takes a not-so-peaceful canoe ride with a little girl and her dog... and a beaver, a loon, a wolf, a bear, and a moose. As each animal hops in the boat the trip becomes more precarious. Then a tiny little frog hops aboard... SPLASH!
Caitlin Barclay
This book rhymes and you can predict with it too! Although it is simple and short, students can also learn about which animals can be found when camping in North America. The Northern Lights are mentioned too!
Steve
This one is a favorite of both Chrissy and Zander. A young girl starts off on a canoe ride with her dog. Along the way, a beaver, wolf, loon, bear and moose invite themselves into the canoe with them, until a frog finally sinks them. It's another fun story, with a nice rhythm when read aloud.
Jo
Apr 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
A girl and her dog set out for a leisurely canoe trip where they encounter many more animals who want in on the ride.

This was so fun! The expressions on the animals faces alone are worth the read. :)
Book Him Danno
Feb 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
We met this author at our library and really enjoyed her presentation. This book is cute in that it adds on to each as the next animal gets in the caneo. The kids enjoyed this story and it is a great read out-loud to a classroom of k-2 graders. Fun book, great pictures.
Powers Family
Jun 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
Fun story, cute illustrations, good rhyming
The Brothers
Jan 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
A fun little rhyme about a little girl who just wants to go canoeing with her dog, but a variety of wild animals want to join in the fun too.

Nice illustrations.m
Susan
Oct 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Always a hit for story-time especially in summer and fall. I love a dependable book that is fun to read.
Margaret
Dec 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Great read-a-loud for kids.
Mckinley
Sep 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite, picture, heroine, dog
Fun. Thought about Anna and I with Fritz.
Annie
May 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite books to put out for a Pet Therapy Reading Program! A participant favorite too!
  • A Dog Is a Dog
  • The Terrible Plop
  • Two at the Zoo
  • Look Out, Suzy Goose
  • "Stand Back," Said the Elephant, "I'm Going to Sneeze!"
  • Ernest, the Moose Who Doesn't Fit
  • Snip Snap! What's That?
  • Move Over, Rover!
  • Ten Red Apples
  • The Lamb Who Came for Dinner
  • Row, Row, Row Your Boat
  • Sleep, Big Bear, Sleep!
  • Millie Waits for the Mail (Millie's Misadventures)
  • How Do You Hug a Porcupine?
  • What Animals Really Like
  • Hello, Day!
  • Jump!
  • Lots of Dots
Mary Casanova is an award-winning children's author of novels and picture books. Many of her books stem from her life on the Minnesota-Canadian border; yet some of her stories have taken her as far away as France, Norway, and Belize for research. Whatever the setting for her books, Casanova writes stories that matter--and stories that kids can't put down.

Her book awards include: American Library A
More about Mary Casanova...