Start by marking “The 17 Indisputable Laws of Teamwork: Embrace Them and Empower Your Team” as Want to Read:
The 17 Indisputable Laws of Teamwork: Embrace Them and Empower Your Team

The 17 Indisputable Laws of Teamwork: Embrace Them and Empower Your Team

Building and maintaining a successful team is no simpletask. Even people who have taken their teams to the highest level in theirfield have difficulty recreating what accounted for their successes. Is it astrong work ethic? Is it “chemistry”? What tools can you wrap your hands aroundto build–or rebuild–your team?

In The 17 Indisputable Laws of Teamwork, leadership expertand
Published July 29th 2001 by HarperCollins Leadership (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The 17 Indisputable Laws of Teamwork, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The 17 Indisputable Laws of Teamwork

Start your review of The 17 Indisputable Laws of Teamwork: Embrace Them and Empower Your Team
Mat Rueter
Apr 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone in or leading a team
One thing I learned is the following:

The Wrong Person in the Wrong Place = Regression
The Wrong Person in the Right Place = Frustration
The Right Person in the Wrong Place = Confusion
The Right Person in the Right Place = Progression
The Right People in the Right Places = Multiplication
Todd Sherman
Jul 09, 2013 rated it it was ok
I am about 1/2 way through it and thus far it is feeling very light. It is full of examples of other teams but missing meaningful concrete exercises to become a better team member. That is, the book concentrates on mantras like, "To be a better team member you need to sacrifice more." Here are examples of sacrifice. This is not helpful. It is equivalent to saying to someone "You need to save more money to get out of debt." But not identifying how to go about that. I will update the review when I ...more
Daryl
Feb 01, 2008 rated it did not like it
There is no greater fan of John Maxwell than John Maxwell. He loves to highlight his own successes ad nauseum.

His "laws" are highly and easily debatable. I read this as part of reading group at work. To have a discussion on any chapter with a positive result was difficult. We usually ended up discussing how we would have written the chapter.

It was difficult to get through.
Christopher
Nov 07, 2019 rated it liked it
*Updated review 1/10/2020*

This book has some great insights, but there’s a lot repeated from John’s book on leadership – which is a much stronger book (much of what this book covers is leadership, anyway). I did enjoy the part about how the Golden Gate Bridge came to be, which is worth the price of the book alone (the used book is a few bucks). It’s a classic example of how a brave entrepreneur overcame seemingly insurmountable odds to guide a massively successful project on to completion – incl
Belal Khan
May 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
is read this immediately after the laws of leadership. some of the content repeats from the previous book, but stuff is a must read if you're looking to build teams and multiply your influence.
Bernard Bentley
Mar 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is a literal road map to just about anything you want to accomplish in life. From raising a family to Counseling and even building a business. John Maxwell what does a great job detailing the importance of teamwork and how one person is too small number for greatness. Teamwork really does make the dream work.
Nguyễn Thái
Jun 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Provide useful tips for teamwork
Inez
Oct 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
Could be summarised on an A4 sheet of paper.
Too many friggin sport stories, which were as dull as dishwater.
Drecsan Razvan Sebastian
Mar 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Very Good Tips, Would Recomend
Patrice
Apr 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing
John Maxwell A+ yet again! This book is perfect for anyone who is in an environment where teamwork is essential...which nowadays is pretty much everywhere. After reading, I'd suggest using in conjunction with the video and workbook as a team building/learning situation with your team. He adds humor with the teaching so its not boring at all, promise! LOVE JOHN MAXWELL AS A TEACHER!!!
Hillary
Sep 07, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
As good as his other book - common sense, but stuff that needs reminding every once in a while.
Reeds
Dec 02, 2020 added it
Shelves: psychology
1. Law of significance - nothing done alone, Insisting on doing things alone creates barriers to your own potential. Example: Mia Hamm who acknowledged her team on the field but also the team off the field, including those who washed their jerseys, as being instrumental to their success.
2. Big picture - goal more important than role (person)
get started - have goal, size up the size of the challenge, get resources needed, get right people, move to higher level, give up personal agenda
3. Law of
Nathan Albright
Nov 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Though some of the examples are a bit dated (for example, any reader of this book ought to get a few chuckles out of the praise that its author, John Maxwell, gives to the crooks who ran Enron for their innovative thinking), this book ought to provide encouragement to a wide variety of readers so long as they are well-versed with business language and are at least moderately fond of sports examples. If you are a fan of Maxwell’s 21 Indisputable Laws of Leadership (which are briefly recapped in t ...more
Nadeen Matthews
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Short and provocative read. A must read for anyone leading teams. It’s a book I would read again. A few of my takeaways
1) Nothing of significance was ever achieved alone. Insisting on doing things alone creates barriers to your own potential. I love the example he shared of Mia Hamm who acknowledged her team on the field but also the team off the field, including those who washed their jerseys, as being instrumental to their success.
2) The Law of the Niche - if people are in roles that they do
John
Jul 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: season-12
I had high hopes for this book. I really wanted some good lessons and principles on teamwork, team-building and team leadership.

Instead, I got a bunch of lists of (mostly) common sense items: Your team is only as good as its weakest link, great teammates take it further, great team leaders inspire the team, your team needs a vision, teammates with bad attitudes bring the whole team down, etc., etc.

And then for each item on the list, there was another sub-list of truths about that item.

Dry read
Jonathan
Jan 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: management
Very much detail oriented, author split each characteristics with his own and adding inspiring stories into it. Quotes are wonderful to read. Something what I missed is, how to work as a team more examples related to that, for example, Eisenhower, how he managed his team during world war. Gandhi how he gathered people for his movement, what attribute or special characteristics with leaders which can influence teamwork, how team members can influence the leaders or others, can be sighted with per ...more
Ian McGaffey
Oct 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very I delightful book that provides many methods to create a better team. I particularly enjoyed how the author provides helpful tips at the end of each chapter for both team members and team leaders. You won't always be a team leader or member and knowing both sides can provide guidance and insight. I look forward to reading more from Mr. Maxwell I. the future.
Jonathan
Feb 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
These laws will help any leader or team member realize what their place is on the team, or to know if they have no place on the team. Because of this book I was able to direct my team better and renew passion to be there.
Raluca Lorena Rohian
May 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
I learned many, many things about working in a team from this book and several ideas about leadership. There were many sports references that I haven’t been able to relate to, but overall, I took notes of many ideas that I want to apply in my life.
Todd Brown
Apr 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
John Maxwell provides simple, tried and true leadership nuggets on building, enhancing, and making a team more effective. This is a great read for leaders and team members alike, as everything rises and falls on leadership.
Neal Renna
Jul 19, 2020 rated it it was ok
John Maxwell is a great author. He is one of the reasons I got hooked on reading. If you’ve read him you know his books are similar which can make them boring. I always enjoy the examples he uses at the beginning of a chapter. Reading one chapter at a time isn’t bad, they just get redundant.
Dale Critchley
Jul 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lois of great information. Succinct. I need a summary of the list to keep handy and review periodically.
Grace Boloroo
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Whoever belongs to team should read these to improve their skills and help their team to succeed.
Ruth
Sep 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
This book is simplistic, dated, and seems to have been written simply so the author could name-drop.
Candace
Nov 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Good book for managers. Easy read, but thought provoking. Leads to great discussion.
Mike McVey
Jan 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Great stories about the laws of leadership but lacking on the practices to doing leadership. Still enjoyable.
May 03, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fast read with some good key takeaways. Really easy to follow. Too many sports analogies for me, and a little too male-dominate.
Richard Gombert
Jun 27, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: books24x7, audio, 2018
Dated.
Robbie M. Michael
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It should not come as a shocker that this book is a great book. Anything he writes is worth reading. He packs so much in this book that I’m sure to revisit it.
Mwerevu Hajinyoi
Aug 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love how detailed John Maxwell is with his books. Yet another great read. Lots of lessons to implement.

« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Three Signs of a Miserable Job: A Management Fable About Helping Employees Find Fulfillment in Their Work
  • Self Leadership and the One Minute Manager: Increasing Effectiveness Through Situational Self Leadership
  • Bonds That Make Us Free: Healing Our Relationships, Coming to Ourselves
  • The Holy Secret
  • 10 Natural Laws of Successful Time and Life Management
  • The Outward Mindset: Seeing Beyond Ourselves
  • Little Green Book of Getting Your Way: How to Speak, Write, Present, Persuade, Influence, and Sell Your Point of View to Others
  • Leadership and Self-Deception: Getting Out of the Box
  • The Speed of Trust: The One Thing that Changes Everything
  • First Things First
  • The Four Obsessions of an Extraordinary Executive: The Four Disciplines at the Heart of Making Any Organization World Class
  • The Five Temptations of a CEO: A Leadership Fable
  • How to Become CEO: The Rules for Rising to the Top of Any Organization
  • Influence Without Authority
  • Good to Great and the Social Sectors: A Monograph to Accompany Good to Great
  • Courageous Leadership
  • The Leadership Challenge
  • Pendidikan Pancasila
John C. Maxwell is an internationally recognized leadership expert, speaker, and author who has sold over 16 million books. His organizations have trained more than 2 million leaders worldwide. Dr. Maxwell is the founder of EQUIP and INJOY Stewardship Services. Every year he speaks to Fortune 500 companies, international government leaders, and audiences as diverse as the United States Military Ac ...more

News & Interviews

“It's better to prepare than to repair.” 20 likes
“If you keep nonproductive people, the productive ones become frustrated and leave. If you remove the people who don’t add value, then the whole team gets better. It’s just like trimming trees: If you don’t cut the deadwood, eventually the whole tree falls. But if you remove the deadwood, the tree becomes healthier, the healthy branches produce more, and there’s room for productive new branches on the tree.” 4 likes