Start by marking “Sorcerer's Legacy” as Want to Read:
Sorcerer's Legacy

Sorcerer's Legacy

Widowed by a violent conquest, imprisoned as a spoil of war, spirited Lady Elienne encounters a formidable visitation inside her locked cell. A powerful, unknown sorcerer promises her a reprieve in trade for a precarious fate: safe transfer from her ruined duchy to another world, there to become chosen bride for the Prince of Pendaire. But the perilous bargain depends on ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 256 pages
Published March 1st 1989 by Spectra (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Sorcerer's Legacy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sorcerer's Legacy

Start your review of Sorcerer's Legacy
☘Misericordia☘ ~ The Serendipity Aegis ~  ⚡ϟ⚡ϟ⚡⛈ ✺❂❤❣
I truly loved this book! I did not expect much from it, other than some light reading to spend some time and was surprised to have discovered such tastefully created wealth of imagery, passionate writing and plot which is better than with most of modern fantasy writings. The book is both emotionally engaging and clever.
This was my first read by this author and I was mighty impressed! I am very happy to have discovered Janny Wurts and will make sure to read more from her!

My profoundest respect
Alissa
Nov 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-ebooks
Impressive. I can't believe it's a debut book. It's powerful, extremely fast moving, full of intrigue and twists, with a great, adult protagonist, a varied cast of characters, devious enemies, complex magic, smart world-building and a compelling story crafted with great prose.
Janny Wurts surely fulfilled all the author promises embedded in this work and much, much more.

While it’s clearly Wurts trademark style, particularly regarding the unpredictability of the plot and the building of tension,
Jim
Mar 27, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1paper, fantasy, 2fiction
This was a fun read & well written. It definitely deserves 4 stars but gets a fifth as it was the author's first book. I've heard that after reading it, Raymond Feist asked her to collaborate on the Empire Trilogy which takes place in the midst of his Rift War saga. Congrats on a fantastic decision, Ray! They were some of my favorite books in the series & I liked them all.

The crux of the book is an ugly succession where our heroine plays a key part. She's tough, but very believable.
Such a fast, easy read!!! I absolutely loved it!

A smart, sassy and strong-willed lady with a prickly tongue and a heart full of courage,

A dashing prince to make any girl swoon,

Cunning court intrigue and a mad play for power spiced up with sorcery and darklore to keep you on the edge of your seat,

All within a scant 300 pages that will grab you from the very first chapter.

This little book is the perfect read when you want something light but with a beautiful prose, easy but still meaningful,
James
A very quick read and worth even more time than it takes to get to the final page. "Sorcerer's Legacy" stands as an impressive first foray as an author. Janny Wurts possesses a beautifully broad vocabulary that lends itself well to the telling of this (or any other) tale. The duel between two sorcerers in chapter nine is particularly impressive as an example of immersing your audience in the moment -- I was almost afraid to take my eyes from the page for fear of seeing a magical battle raging in ...more
wishforagiraffe
Feb 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, audiobooks
In the strictest sense of the word, this is a portal fantasy- the main character is taken by a sorcerer through a portal to another world and another time (although the rules of magic appear to be similar to her own world, and everyone speaks the same language, curiously).

But this book is fairly light on worldbuilding, and makes up for it with the character interactions. There's plenty of court intrigue, with a couple surprising twists, and the romance is very well executed.

It is a bit a
Grace Troxel
Feb 27, 2019 rated it liked it
This review originally appeared on my blog, Books Without Any Pictures: http://bookswithoutanypictures.com/20...

Next up on my stack of pulpy vintage trash… Sorcerer’s Legacy by Janny Wurts.

The basic premise is this: a woman named Elienne has sex with her husband. She’s pregnant, but doesn’t know it yet. The next morning, an invading army kills her husband, and Elienne is captured and thrown into a cell. She’s then visited by a wizard with an unusual story. He is traveling from across time and
Lisa
Mar 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book. It has a fairly prominent romance in it, hit a few of the romance tropes, and yet the romance plot was a key part of the story so it didn't feel so much like a romance and definitely remained on the fantasy side of things. I listened to this on audio and while I loved the narrator's voice, parts of it were read a little too quickly for me--I tend to tune audio out easily and if it's too much of the same tone or too fast my mind stops paying attention. So that's more of a ...more
Krista D.
Mar 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You're doing life wrong if you're not reading this book right now.

Dear sweet mother of God. What a book.

I read it over the last couple of days. I stopped writing to read this book. I stayed up until almost 2am last night to finish reading this book. I walked with my Kobo in hand at 1am while searching for tissue to blow my nose because I was sobbing so hard, but I couldn't put the book down.
This was one of the best romance books I have ever read. This is the best fantasy-romance hybrid book I
Alyssa
Dec 14, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If I had a "Books That I Would Love to Reread if I Could Find a Damn Copy" shelf this would be on it. A great premise, and a great first effort from someone who would go on to write more of my favorite Fantasy novels.
David King
I have become quite a fan of Janny Wurts since reading her long-running "The Wars of Light and Shadow" series. Other than that series though, the only other books of hers that I had read were those that formed "The Empire Trilogy" and they were actually a collaborative effort with Raymond E. Feist. Therefore, I decided that I would try another of her books and picked up "Sorcerer's Legacy" which was her debut novel and is quite rare in today's world of fantasy writing in that it is a self ...more
Tahariel
Jun 12, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fantasy and romance fans
Shelves: fantasy, romance
I love Janny Wurts anyway, but the premise of this book is really fun. Elienne's beloved husband has just been killed, she is less than a day pregnant with his child, and a sorceror from another land appears just as she is about to be condemned to rape and death, offering her a choice - stay here, or come with him to marry another man and claim the child as his, to save a kingdom and his life.

Not only is Elienne a really fun, vibrant character, but the slow romance between her and her betrothed
Sandra
May 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, audio
Delightful! A fast moving, peril ridden journey for both a prince and his consort. Emily Gray is a wonderful narrator. I don't think I've listened to her before. I hadn't read this book before this audio edition was released. It was kind of hard to come by and it's only in paperback, used, and I cannot read the small print in paperbacks. So I was glad I could read this one. I think now that I've read all of Wurts' work.
Adam Stone
Jul 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I revisited this classic for nostalgia's sake. This book and others like it by this author and others like her graced the shelves of my highschool's library more than 20 years ago. The school library was a place of vivid imagination in an institution full of uniform mathematics classes, logical science classes, and ego-bruising PE classes and there, I first learnt that spending my time in worlds of wild fantasy such as the one masterfully painted in this book was far better than wasting my ...more
Suzana Vuksanovic
I was a bit disappointed with this book.
Throughout I never really had much sympathy for the main character, Elienne (despite the pretty name).
Elienne gets whisked away from her native time and place to another place - a castle and a prince who needs to beget a baby on her to succeed to the throne no less. Problem is he's had a curse put on himthat makes him impotent. But luckily the wizard who her wizzed her over thought of that and picked her because she was already pregnant to her
Dianne
Jul 05, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Boy, this world has harsh rules for kingship, if you don't father a child by 25 you are killed? You can't marry unless you have a living child? It is amazing anyone wants to be royal/
Rayna
Jan 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my all-time favorite books and I think one of Janny Wurts best works, other than Master of Whitestorm. Excellent read.
Francesco Lanza
Dec 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok, this was a weird one.

I liked it, at times didn't understand the characters' reasoning or the world logic (I think they got sacrificed on the altar of PLOT), but I appreciated the fast-as-fuck rythm, the adult 20-something protagonist, and the action-romance mood. Yes, it has its own quirks: it reads like a trash novel from the 80s, like Wilbur Smith or Dean Koontz, except it is in no way testosterone-fueled, and has a far more sophisticated language and believable (or almost-believable)
Spencer
WhiteCollarWarlock
4 stars means the book was a good but not outstanding. My only real problem was the "break his heart to save him" plot, which has to be one of my least favorite tropes ever. Since this book is older than I am, I presume it was less overused back then. That makes it no less annoying, though.

I liked the characters, but I wish their relationship had been fleshed out more. Sadly that was hampered by the heroine's insistence on being distant and suffering by herself.

The plot was well done, and kept
Jack
Oct 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've almost always liked Janny's style of writing, and this is no different. A bit tonned down to the lyricalness that is Light and Shadow, it still comes across as evocative, and at times bitingly harsh. Going into Sorceor's, I'd only heard good things, and in a way, I was not let down. The big warning was never given, which doesn't mean much to me as I prefer spoiler free reading, however the ending might be a bit too much for some. It gets very very dark, and that I did not expect.

Still a
Aliased
Nov 09, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Sorcerer's Legacy got off to a strong start with an interesting premise and a unique opening few chapters.

However, as the book rushed from plot point to point in a race to a conclusion that was completely telegraphed by about the half-way mark it became increasingly clear that it lacked any real depth or character and was a very amateurish work at best.

It gets two stars because I enjoyed the first half of it well enough, and because being short it couldn't help but mercifully end before I'd
Leila Anani
I asked for fantasy romance and this was recommended to me by the librarian. It's not bad in a childish sort of way but I definitely got the feeling I would have preferred it as a younger teen. Not particularly well written and the anachronisms really got on my nerves. I liked the characters but thought the romance was rather predictable. Unsure of a target audience for this. It's too adult for a child, but rather childish for an adult.
Jean Hontz
Feb 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An early work by Janny Wurts. Lots of action, likeable characters, and an interesting world. My only complaint is the use of stupid choices by the characters to develop the plot. Yes, they were justified by the story but they were still not very bright.

But you can see her ability to weave a story already, so it was great to see her growth since then.
Kathi
Sep 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
7/10

I found the first half of this book difficult to read—too many awkwardly placed adjectives and adverbs for the sentences to flow smoothly. Either I became accustomed to the author’s style or the writing changed just enough in the second half for me to really get into the story. And the story itself was a wonderful mix of familiar fantasy elements and unique additions and plot twists.
Grace
Jun 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a lovely surprise of a book. Intriguing and refreshing. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Erica Van Uitregt
This was my introduction to Janny Wurts and I adore this book. Magic, intrigue, and romance, I love, love, love this book! Janny Wurts is a master world-builder!
Guilan
Jun 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Held my attention. Didn't really like the way the ending wrapped up.
Kelsey Karin
Bookclub - Beyond Reality -2019, 09Sep
Kat  Hooper
Jul 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Most readers are probably familiar with Janny Wurts’ epic fantasy series THE WARS OF LIGHT AND SHADOW or the EMPIRE trilogy she wrote with Raymond E. Feist back in the ‘80s, but Wurts also wrote a few stand-alone fantasies, two of which have just been released in audio format.

Sorcerer’s Legacy, Wurts’ debut novel first published in 1981, is one of these. In some ways it feels like a 1981 high fantasy novel (e.g. the medieval setting) but, in the most important ways, it stands out. The story is

• Mistress of the Empire (The Empire Trilogy, #3)
  • Servant of the Empire (The Empire Trilogy, #2)
  • Rimrunners (The Company Wars, #3)
  • The Last Hour of Gann
  • Karen Memory (Karen Memory, #1)
  • Master of Crows (Master of Crows, #1)
  • Prince of the Blood (Krondor's Sons, #1)
  • Talk Sweetly to Me (Brothers Sinister, #4.5)
  • Entreat Me
  • A Shadow in Summer (Long Price Quartet, #1)
  • Rolling in the Deep (Rolling in the Deep, #0.5)
  • Gaslight Hades (Bonekeeper Chronicles, #1)
  • Milk Glass Moon (Big Stone Gap, #3)
  • I, Lucifer
  • Shadow of a Dark Queen (The Serpentwar Saga, #1)
  • The Wishsong of Shannara (The Original Shannara Trilogy, #3)
  • Big Cherry Holler (Big Stone Gap, #2)
  • Clovenhoof (Clovenhoof #1)
Janny Wurts is the author of War of Light and Shadow series, and To Ride Hell's Chasm. Her eighteen published titles include a trilogy in audio, a short story collection, as well as the internationally best selling Empire trilogy, co authored with Raymond E. Feist, with works translated into fifteen languages worldwide. Her latest title in the Wars of Light and Shadow series, Destiny's Conflict, ...more