Start by marking “Traveling Man: The Journey of Ibn Battuta, 1325-1354” as Want to Read:
Traveling Man: The Journey of Ibn Battuta, 1325-1354

Traveling Man: The Journey of Ibn Battuta, 1325-1354

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  151 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
Ibn Battuta was the traveler of his age—the fourteenth century, a time before Columbus when many believed the world to be flat. Like Marco Polo, Ibn Battuta left behind an account of his own incredible journey from Morocco to China, from the steppes of Russia to the shores of Tanzania, some seventy-five thousand miles in all.
James Rumford has retold Ibn Battuta?s story in
Published September 24th 2001 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Traveling Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Traveling Man

Nancy
Feb 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Published: 2001, Houghton Mifflin
Age: 8-11
This is a retelling of a 14th century Muslim boy named Ibn Battuta and his journey to Mecca. It is more about his travels than religion. He was born in Morocco and raised as a scholar. His journey lasted 29 years and we follow him on his travels through Africa, Asia, India, and China. Old world maps are included and one shows his travels from Tangier to Beijing and back. The text is set in beautifully bordered frames, sometimes with text around the frame
Kami
May 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
His story is amazing but I've never heard such an adventure told so blandly. The design of the book with the words wandering about the pages was pretty cool though. Of all our library books out right now, this is the one I've seen in my kids' hands the least.
Leo
May 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: juvenile
Beautiful illustrations followed with a quote or two from poetic verses. This tale marks a most wondrous journey of Ibn Battuta.
Julia
Oct 28, 2017 rated it liked it
因為老公在讀另一本書引敘到這本書, 奉老公之命上市立圖書館查到後借回來的! 才發現是一本繪本書, 這是中東地區的另一個馬可波羅, 在1325年至1352年, 懷著旅行的夢想走了二、三十年, 也到了歐洲,印度,也來到中國!
在繪本中一幅插圖還出現了離鄉偶書:少小離家老大回,鄉音無改鬢毛衰。 兒童相見不相識,笑問客從何處來。突然就有了感動~
Shahd Rdawi
Mar 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved James Rumford both books writing & illustrating (Ibn- Battuta) & (Silent Music-A story of Baghdad)!
GarnerGoingsOn Library
May 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A visual feast beginning with the end papers (the inside covers of a hardback book) which remind one of blue willow ware and illustrate key events or discoveries during Ibn Batutta's twenty-nine years of 14th C travel.

A line of text strings journal entries together like a line on a map connects cities, across and under and around illustrations rich with color and character, and lovely calligraphy, Chinese and Arabic depending on the locale. A philosophy of travel in keeping with Muslim thought
Nancy
illustrations on the inside front and back covers blue and watercolor. (Illustrations throughout the book and layout well-done).

Excellent translation of Ibn Battuta's journal-makes me want to go find some longer versions, in all my free time, ha. I thought as I read, how interesting to go all those places and have all those adventures. But I also thought that would preclude a lot of the everydayness that makes life so wonderful.

Pondering some of the maxims about traveling in this book:

"Traveling
Jana Giles
I think that this would be a great introduction to writing in journals. I would love to use this story as a way to help my students think of an adventure to write about. The book is broken up into places Ibn Battuta traveled. This story has beautiful imagery and the artwork is amazing. It also has a lot of different names of middle eastern countries. That would be a great introduction to geography around the world.
Cheryl
Oct 18, 2008 rated it really liked it
This picture book is a beautifully illustrated picture book of one man's journey to Mecca. As a Christian, I appreciated this book for an explanation of the Muslims'a pilgrimage without being inundated with a lot of emphasis on the religion. It was more of a tale of the journey itself, filled with cultural imagery. The illustrations are lovely and creatively show the handwriting, animals, geography, architecture, and other elements of that time period and region.
Catherine Limbsombe
Semper(Vi)u(m) mover & shaker Ibn Battuta is a light-footed and stout hearted-traveler that I had not heard of before I read the book, "Traveling Man." I must remember he is from Morocco. This story is a victory and will be added to my classroom collection - though the formal register may at first glance intimidate the younger students. There is also a Ibn Mubaqqua who was a renowned traveler.
Leah Koch
This historical fiction book about world traveller Ibn Battuta teaches students about discovering the world before Columbus. I especially like this book because it reads like a story and includes a lot of maps that teach students good geography skills.
Dewi Wardani
Jul 25, 2015 rated it liked it
It got it today. A drawing story book. the line I like the most Traveling , it gives U a home in a thousand strange places, then leaves U a stranger in Ur own land ...
this line of ibn batutah makes me make up my mind.I'm going to stop wandering :(
Rani
Experiences are the ultimate wealth of our human existence as the travels of Ibn Battuta illustrates this.
Teri
Oct 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Really well done book if you're looking for the story of Ibn Battuta. Our history curriculum introduced him to us, and this book is great! Not your bedtime read kind of a story.
Rachel
love the way this book is done and how it tells the wonder of Ibn Battuta's journeys. Beautiful pics and I love the way the text winds through the page like Battuta journeyed through the world
Wei Si
Aug 14, 2015 rated it liked it
Smg bisa buat buku utk anak2 spt ini juga ... insAllh. Open minded dperlukan bg seorang musafir.tp kbetulan juga timur selatan dunia sll lbh ramah bg musafir. ..
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
This is an historical character about whom I knew nothing until I read this book. I want to read more!
Meylia Azurah
Aug 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
I can feel the journey
Amy
Nov 21, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: history-for-kids
Read in conjunction with Story of the World, Vol. II
Nicely done. He went SO many places it was really hard to keep up with it all!
Michael Fitzgerald
Tries to cram in a bit too much information.
A.
Jan 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best-cover
Excellent drawings and very well constructed text.

I read it in my children's class-room during the Hajj season.

For 1-4grades
Marcy
Aug 30, 2015 rated it it was ok
The pictures were nice. The content was dull.
Skye
  • Leonardo and the Flying Boy
  • Only Passing Through
  • Muhammad
  • Follow the Dream: The Story of Christopher Columbus
  • You Wouldn't Want to Be a Roman Gladiator! (You Wouldn't Want To)
  • Handel, Who Knew What He Liked
  • Katie and the Mona Lisa
  • I, Galileo
  • The Trojan Horse: How the Greeks Won the War
  • Fa Mulan: The Story of a Woman Warrior
  • The Crane Wife
  • Rome Antics
  • You Wouldn't Want to Be in Alexander the Great's Army!: Miles You'd Rather Not March
  • Kids at Work: Lewis Hine and the Crusade Against Child Labor
I have been writing, illustrating, and designing children's books since 1996. I am on the verge of self-publishing through books that are printed on demand and via the internet. For more on my children's books, see my website: http://www.jamesrumford.com. I also have a blog about writing and illustrating children's books at http://www.calabashcat.blogspot.com. Besides commercially published books, ...more