Start by marking “Safe Harbor: A Murder in Nantucket” as Want to Read:
Safe Harbor: A Murder in Nantucket

Safe Harbor: A Murder in Nantucket

3.27  ·  Rating details ·  139 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
Elizabeth Lochtefeld was a glowing, charismatic and driven woman who'd built a million-dollar fortune in Manhattan before settling into a new life in one of America's most elite resort communities. She'd planned to dedicate the rest of her life to charity-and to marry and finally start a family of her own. When Lochtefeld met thrity-seven year-old Tim Toolan-- a tall, stra ...more
Published April 1st 2007 by St. Martin's Press (first published May 30th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Safe Harbor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Safe Harbor

Julie Cavasos
I finally got through this one. Kind of depressing. The only reason I finished it was because I started it. I hate putting a book down that I started.
Jenn
A much different true crime book than I would normally read. It has no trials, no views from police officers and no lawyers. At the time of writing Toolan was yet to be tried for this murder. There was a lot of history involved - both family history and geographical history. I do hope that Toolan was found guilty and sentenced to life for his selfish act of murder.
Koren
Jan 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very interesting True Crime book. The victim is a likable and interesting person. There is only one thing I didnt like about this book and that is the fact that it was written before the trial and verdict. I'm not sure why authors do that. Maybe to get the book out why the murder is still fresh in people's minds. I dont know. There is a lot of description and history about Nantucket in this book, which was interesting.
Shira Selkovits
2.5 stars. Even more interesting than the crime is learning about the history and culture of Nantucket. McDonald paints an exhaustive picture of both the victim, Beth Lochtefeld and accused murderer, Tom Toolan. Beth's upbringing, education, and career path are extensively explored and actually quite fascinating. Ultimately, I wish this book had been written after the trial instead of before. I now have to go and look up everything that happened!
Elaine Crockett
Oct 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thought it was great. Accidentally gave it a one star the first time around. Don't know how that happened.
Sherry Haning
Sep 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A well written partly sad story of a remarkable woman!
Sally A.
Sandy
Feb 12, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was such a sad story. I really wanted Beth to get away and find happiness in this life. It seemed such a tragedy that she worked so hard and was such a success just to have Tom Toolan take advantage of her and then take away her life. What a sad excuse of a haman being he was.
I believe this is the first time I had read one of Brian McDonald's books, but I found it an easy read.

I enjoyed the book and the description of Nantucket took me there.
Erika
Sep 17, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't tell what the point of the book was. It sounded like the author was smitten with the victim, but most of his information on her seemed to come from her memorial website. It seemed like most of the information on both the victim and murderer came from news stories, tabloids, and the memorial website. He had interviews with some of the friends and family of the two, but the book seemed to be a compilation of information gleaned from other written materials. Kind of a slow read.
Christine
Apr 30, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everybody interested in nantucket and in murder cases
Recommended to Christine by: found it in our local library
Well, I was all life long a big Nantucket fan, so when I found this book at our local library about a murder case that happened on Nantucket in 2004, I had to read it.
I read mixed reviews about the book, but really enjoy reading it (am on page 100 now).
It's fascinating (and that's more than I can say about lots of books that i started reading lately and then skipped after 100 + pages).
John
Aug 19, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Being roughly the same age as the murder victim, and familiar with Nantucket - although her path and mine never (directly) crossed - I found the book well-researched. Author stresses that the McMansion-strewn island of today does not represent Beth's Nantucket, which is an important point. Definitely recommended.
Jeannie
Apr 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own
Frightening true crime story of a woman who had it all and then chose the wrong man. I really enjoyed reading about Beth's life growing up and learning more about Nantucket. The book concentrated more on that than the crime itself so that made it stand out for me. Most true crime books follow the same pattern and that gets old for me after awhile. This one didn't.
Lisa
Interesting true story about the life and tragic ending (murder) of Beth Lochtefelds (self made millionaire) life.

The story at times did not flow too well. Quite a bit of jumping around and going off on tangents. But overall a good read.

Rita
Jan 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This woman who worked so hard all her life and had everything took a chance on love. Unfortunately, she picked the wrong guy and what transpired from there was riveting and I couldn't read it fast enough. It is a must read story that has all the elements. I recommend this book.
Michael
Had to read this to prep for Sins & Secrets: Nantucket. From the book, I found out that Nantucket isn't so safe. From being on the island, I found out that many of the people there are pretentious assholes. I rue them.
Dennis Willingham
Not a bad book, just not what I look for in true crime. Very little on the detauks if tge crime and because of it's nature its solution, ok background on the killer, and a somewhat loving biography of the victim that I hope the family finds some comfort in.
Abby
Nov 04, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Though a well written book, I could've done without the random history lessons. I liked reading Beth's story best. She was a true inspiration.
Seann Mulcahy
It's not Nobel-prize winning, but it's a nice, quick vacation-time read, especially for anyone who's spent any time on the island.
Suzie Flohr
Mar 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. I felt like I knew the people and family. I also like how it wasn't about the court case.
Jessica
This book was easy to get into and seemed like a fast read but it was lacking the fact of keeping my attention half way through.
Karen
This is a true-crime book. The alleged murderer is on trial right now! So I got the book from the library.
Naomi
Feb 20, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm a fan of True Crime books, but I had to force myself through this one. Bogged down by chapters and chapters of boring and tedious minutiae.
Eileen Granfors
Fascinating portrait of a lovely place, family , woman. Way too much filled, easily skipped.
Gerry
Jun 23, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
interesting
Maure Briggs
Jan 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating !
Allie rademacher
Jun 10, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It was hard to understand
John Mize
  • Suffer The Little Children
  • A Deadly Affair
  • Perfect Poison: A Female Serial Killer's Deadly Medicine
  • Della's Web: The Many Husbands of a Suburban Black Widow
  • From Cradle to Grave: The Short Lives and Strange Deaths of Marybeth Tinning's Nine Children
  • Dismembered
  • Buried Memories
  • Poisoned Love
  • Evil Beside Her
  • Portrait of a Monster: Joran van der Sloot, a Murder in Peru, and the Natalee Holloway Mystery
  • The Yosemite Murders
  • The Confessions of an American Black Widow: A True Story of Greed, Lust and a Murderous Wife
  • House of Evil
  • Cries in the Desert (St. Martin's True Crime Library)
  • Murder In The Family
  • Open Secrets: A True Story of Love, Jealousy, and Murder
  • Killing for Pleasure: The Definitive Story of the Snowtown Murders
Along with writing books, I frequently freelance for magazines and newspapers including the New York Times Proof blog. I also teach journalism and memoir writing.

(From his website)

• Maude
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Here Is Where: Discovering America's Great Forgotten History
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Rational Optimist (P.S.)
    $14.49 $2.99
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Of Wolves and Men (Scribner Classics)
  • God: A Story of Revelation
    $7.74 $1.99
  • Catch Me If You Can
  • Word by Word: The Secret Life of Dictionaries
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Hit Refresh: The Quest to Rediscover Microsoft's Soul and Imagine a Better Future for Everyone
    $15.99 $2.99
  • We Are Not Such Things: The Murder of a Young American, a South African Township, and the Search for Truth and Reconciliation
  • The Stranger in the Woods: The Extraordinary Story of the Last True Hermit
    $12.99 $3.99
  • American Wolf: A True Story of Survival and Obsession in the West
  • Reading with Patrick: A Teacher, a Student, and a Life-Changing Friendship
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Chancers: Addiction, Prison, Recovery, Love: One Couple's Memoir of Beating the Odds
  • In a Different Key: The Story of Autism
  • The Pastor: A Memoir
  • Forks Over Knives: The Plant-Based Way to Health
    $14.95 $2.99
  • To Have or To Be?
  • Happy Accidents
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Circle Maker: Praying Circles Around Your Biggest Dreams and Greatest Fears
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Bridge of Spies
  • Bringing Adam Home: The Abduction That Changed America
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Shadow Divers: The True Adventure of Two Americans Who Risked Everything to Solve One of the Last Mysteries of World War II
    $12.99 $2.99
  • The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors: The Extraordinary World War II Story of the U.S. Navy's Finest Hour
  • Working with Emotional Intelligence
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Perfect Horse: The Daring U.S. Mission to Rescue the Priceless Stallions Kidnapped by the Nazis