Start by marking “Pluto's Ghost” as Want to Read:
Pluto's Ghost

Pluto's Ghost

"Murderer. It's one kick in the belly of a word isn't it? Has a taste, too. It tastes like barbed wire and has wild hyena eyes. Murderer. Murder-her. Did he? Did I? That's when I remember what I want to forget."

Jake Upshore has loved Skye Derucci since before he can remember. Volatile, complex and frustrated (he's got a label disorder from all the labels he's been given) a
Published September 28th 2010 by Doubleday Canada

To ask other readers questions about Pluto's Ghost, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pluto's Ghost

Chris
Feb 26, 2018 added it
The pacing is perfect in this and the protagonist is believable, compelling and sympathetic - a troubled teen and one readers will root for.
Gabrielle
Nov 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Pluto's Ghost is a raw, twisty, colourful book filled characters you can't help but love (and a few you can't help but hate). Sheree Fitch's style of writing is unmistakable-poetic without taking itself too seriously and sprinkled with the occaisonal made-up word. Skye and Jake's relationship was realistic and sweet and imperfect. It always seems like relationships in books get so serious and intense and married-couple-y so fast, there isn't any room for flaws or quirks or actually human behavio ...more
Lucille
Apr 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Jake Upshore dyslexic. He also has some serious anger management issues, doesn't function well in conventional classes, and has been branded a trouble-maker by local law enforcement and his principal. But there are people that believe in him. his father, despite all of the trials of raising a difficult son by himself, loves Jake and tries to help him overcome his problems. Shep, one of his teachers, defends Jake against those that label him and treat him differently from the other kids. And of c ...more
Rosanne
Feb 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Very well told story, unfolding at just the right pace with a seriously dramatic twist at the end.

The thing that struck me immediately is that this is a difficult voice to get right. Jake is a teenage boy with dyslexia, who has also been diagnosed with several other disorders as well as having significant anger issues. With a few minor exceptions, Fitch does an excellent job voicing Jake, and also does a great job of conveying what the inner life of a smart person who has been ‘written off’ woul
Kaleigh
Sep 17, 2011 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Kaleigh by: Woozles
Shelves: fiction-ya, fiction
I wish I could give this two and a half stars. I liked the main character enough - but the story was predictable, and I didn't like Skye who was such a focal point.
I did, however, like the look into the mind of the troubled young man, and I did see a tiny bit of Holden Caulfield in Jake, but not profoundly, and certainly not as endearingly, but I'm not here to compare with Catcher in the Rye, because that's not the point.
I liked the book the best about halfway through - or maybe 2/3, and then I
Rebecca McNutt
Written in kind of a confusing yet poetically angry sort of style, Pluto's Ghost is a Halifax-based YA novel that deals with serious issues and the point of view of a teenage boy who, as the rumors go, got his girlfriend Skye pregnant. It was definitely suspenseful and had a lot of interesting thoughts from Jake. I didn't really like that the author inserted texts into the book, it was kid of annoying, but it can be overlooked.
Yolanda Ridge
Nov 27, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Right from the start, I was put off by the voice. It was interesting to read from the teenaged male point of view, especially a character as unique as Jake, but I couldn't relate to him and I didn't really get why he did any of the things that he did. I kept reading because I needed to know what happened - the storyline is very well crafted.
Debbie
Feb 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nova-scotia
Natalina
Aug 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
Even though people reviewed this book to be predictable, I thought it was just the right about of obviousness and surprise. A little slow in the beginning, following Jake's fast-paced mind and the run-on and choppy sentences to describe what he's hearing or feeling kept me reading the entire time. I thoroughly loved the book.

Oh yeah - and I loved the relations to The Wars and Robert Ross. It's one of my favourite books.

The one negative I have: character development. There was a good amount for
Kaylee
Jan 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really like this book even though I wasn't sure of it at first. It's slow paced at the beginning and then picks up a bit more, so don't quite reading! You won't be disappointed in the end! The writing was definitely something to marvel over, it was funny and touching.

I just want to hug Jake (main character). He's so sweet and thoughtful, despite his anger issues.

It was amazing to read and be able to see that Jake was serious when he meant he would do anything for the girl he loves, Skye, anyt
Rachel Seigel
Oct 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
At the heart of this book is a bad boy who isn't really as bad as people think he is, and who is really a sensitive, confused and misunderstood boy. This might sound cliched, but Sheree Fitch writes him so beautifully that I liked him from the start, and could easily see how various bad breaks in his life and certain circumstances would have created this. For every teen who likes a slightly edgy book about kids on the outside, this is a perfect read. Adults who just enjoy the power of Fitch's wr ...more
Kerri
Nov 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourite-books
I love a book that is written in a mind-set so different than my own. The main character Jake is so real and so exposed right down to his core that you can't help but find yourself wanting to calm him and cheer for him. I loved this book. Like the cover says "Masterfully crafted... destined to be a classic."
Chloe
Nov 25, 2010 rated it liked it
I actually didn't quite get into this book. I just couldn't really get into it. I found it really slow. I did enjoy the drama spectrum of it - the part where he actually finds Skye. The book just seemed to take forever! A girl who works at Chapters recommeneded it to me, and I usually like these kinds of reads, but something never clicked.
kris
Mar 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book surprised me - in a good way. I thought I had figured out the ending from very early on but I was wrong. The ending did live up to the rest of the story and the author tied up several loose ends. The main character's voice was unique and kept me rooting for him throughout the story.
Belinda
Nov 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Once I got used to the "voice" of the main character I was completely taken in by the story, desperate almost to know the ending. Jake was completely unique, and his internal monologue struck me as genuine right until the very last word. I basically finished it in one sitting.
Reagan Pearson
Oct 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
i think it good book
Suzanne Costigan
Dec 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The characters voice grabbed me in this novel. I couldn't put it down.
Mar
Aug 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
i really enjoyed this story and would put it on a high school reading list. reminded my somewhat of haddon's The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime.
Colleen
Sep 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2011
Brilliantly written. Really, that's all I can say about it right now. Still soaking it in.
Chrissy
Mar 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
pretty good :)
Kelly
Nov 21, 2012 rated it liked it

Probably more of a 3.5. Good book, well-written. A little too predictable and gimmicky though.
Emma
Jun 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The way jake's voice came to life was stunning. Great book!
Angela
Nov 22, 2010 rated it liked it
Good story and interesting character. The pacing lagged in the middle, though. Read for my YA book club.
Natalie Joan
Jun 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
Fantastic. heartbreaking. Uplifting. Warning: you will luagh, cry and fall in love.
Abeeha
Feb 01, 2013
Hazellie
Oct 05, 2012
Abby
rated it did not like it
Aug 08, 2016
  • Graffiti Knight
  • The Way It Is
  • The Republic of Nothing: Reader's Guide Edition
  • Forbidden
  • Close to the Heel (Rennie #1; Seven, #5)
  • The Canterbury Trail
  • True Blue
  • The World
  • A Troublesome Boy
  • The Space Between
  • Live to Tell
  • Last Stand
  • Ink Me (Bunny #1; Seven #4)
From the Writer's Federation of Nova Scotia:

"Sheree Fitch is an educator, literacy activist and author of award winning poetry, picture books, nonfiction, plays and novels for all ages. Her first book, Toes in My Nose, illustrated by Molly Lamb Bobak, was launched in 1987. The books that followed have garnered numerous awards, including The Mr. Christie Award for There Were Monkeys in My Kitchen,