Start by marking “George Washington's Spy” as Want to Read:
George Washington's Spy

George Washington's Spy

(Time Travel Adventure #2)

This spellbinding time-travel fantasy makes for a riveting sequel to Elvira Woodruff's bestselling classic, GEORGE WASHINGTON'S SOCKS.

When Katie and her twin cousins step into a mysterious rowboat, Matt and his three buddies run to their rescue. But they are too late--and soon the seven are swept back in time--to Boston in 1775. The British have occupied the city, and Geor
Published November 1st 2010 by Scholastic Press

Emily
Jun 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I had the privilege of reading this remarkable novel recently, and it has impacted me far more than I expected.

I’m a fourth grade teacher at a Title I public school near Charleston, SC. As I was looking for books to use for my teaching next school year, this was not originally on my list because I had not heard of it... oh, but how could I not? I stumbled across it by accident, checked the lexile, and was so captured by the artwork on the cover, that I immediately checked it out of the library.

A
Nicole
Nov 25, 2018 rated it liked it
By the time I was reading Chapter 3, I was pretty pissed at the author. She had the boys doing "adventure club" while the girls were playing "princess dress-up." That type of gender role stereotyping is maddening and no one should be publishing nonsense like that anymore. But I kept reading, and realized when the girls met Mistress Hewson that the dress-up was a plot device to allow the girls to enter the Hewson home. So I lightened up a little. A little. What I really did like about this book, ...more
aem
Jul 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Good demonstration of different perspectives and rhemes of family and loyalty and friendship
Ryan K
Feb 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very good, a quick read for anyone over the age of nine, but still an enjoyable one.
Abby
Jan 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
I think this book is pretty good! My teacher recommended it to me. I like how the are more people on the boat this time.
Layla
Nov 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a really fun read with my 9 year old stepson. It was funny while also being really interesting from a history perspective.
Nancy
A bit graphic for younger, more sensitive readers.
Margo Tanenbaum
Nov 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
Looking for exciting time travel books for your young patrons or students who've read their way through the Magic Tree House, the Time Warp Trio, and others series of that ilk? Elvira Woodruff's George Washington's Spy might just fit the bill for these readers. A magic rowboat at a lake near their home sweeps fifth grader Matt, his annoying little sister Katie, and four friends from their Nebraska home back to 1776 Boston, where they land in a freezing and dark forest and their magic boat quickl ...more
Debbie
Feb 26, 2012 rated it liked it
This is a nice attempt to write a sequel to a near-perfect original. George Washington's Socks is a great time-travel tale about the events leading up to the Battle of Trenton. In her original novel, Elvira Woodruff captured the tension and the humanity of the soldiers during that historic event in a way that young readers of historical fiction could connect and empathize. In this sequel, Woodruff attempts to show that the Revolutionary War was not one-sided with colonists' allegiances solely on ...more
John
Mar 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
Just like the first book ("George Washington's Socks, which came out almost 20 years earlier!), the author has done a wonderful job of incorporating an interesting and well-paced story along with historical perspective.

While I believe aimed at children in the 8+ range (give or take), both books include partial story lines that are decidedly emotionally and intellectually difficult regarding the reality of war and ethics.

However, each also does a very nice job of providing enough information and
Angela
Jun 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
This story was more adventurous than I hoped. I was hoping for more of a history story, but in the end, everything ended out well.
The story takes place in the modern time with Matt, and his friends, twin cousins, and his little sister, accidentally land back in the world of the Revelutinary War. When Matt and his friends are separated from his cousins and sister, he has to find his way back to them, as well as deliver a special message to a certain spy that belongs to George Washington.
Meanwhi
Becky
Feb 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
When Matt's sister Katie and her two friends can't be found, Matt and his friends set out to look for them. He finds the girls at the lake--sitting in the old rowboat that took them all back to George Washington's time! The boys jump in just in time, finding themselves back in 1776 in Boston, in the midst of the Revolution. The girls get separated from the boys and find themselves with a family of Loyalists, while the boys align with the Patriots, who enlist Matt to perform a special assignment. ...more
Shelly♥
Jun 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
In this book, the gang from George Washington's socks goes on another time travel adventure with the addition of two new friends. Matt, Q, Tony and Hooter are back with Katie, Emma and Lily. They arrive in the Boston area just prior to the Battle of Dorchester in 1776. The boys and girls get split up with the boys landing with rebels and the girls with a Tory family. Through their eyes, we see both sides of the conflict, the terrible injustices and the hardships of the time.

I didn't like this bo
Apr 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
I loved the fist book in the series because it is a great book for getting Magic Tree House lovers up to a higher level. I like this sequel better than the original as a history teacher I'm always trying to get kids to think about perspective. In this book, the time traveling kids end up on opposing sides. The girls end up with a family of loyalists and the boys end up with a team of patriots. This story does a good job of balancing perspective.
Alan
Dec 29, 2010 rated it liked it
ATOS Book Level: 4.7
Interest Level: Middle Grades (MG 4-8)
AR Points: 6.0
Lexile: 710
Word Count: 41351

In this adventure the club travels further back in time to the battle of Dorchester where General Washington's men claim the high ground above Boston by taking the cannon captured at Fort Ticonderoga and dragging then to the Dorchester Heights.
In this adventure
Joenna
Mar 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Ok, technically a time travel story, but I'll consider it historical fiction. Great for boys!

Ten-year-old Matt and six other children travel to 1776 Boston, living out American history as they meet Benjamin Franklin, learn about colonial medicine, and become part of a rebel spy ring.
Elizabeth
May 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
This novel is excellent for fifth graders, though somewhat violent. It shows a true perspective from both sides of the war, and shows how it was a civil war, with families torn apart and the bad guys and good guys difficult to pinpoint.
Trista
Dec 27, 2010 rated it liked it
A good imaginative story about a group of children who travel back in time to the Revolutionary War period. I read this story out loud to my class.
Wendy
Jan 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was better than the first one!
Margaret
Historical fiction - American Revolution
Robin
Jan 21, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011-list, ricba2013
A nice introduction to historical fiction for young readers. My favorite part is when one of the kids lets Ben Franklin wear his sneakers!
Missy
Aug 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
It's cute! B was on the edge of his seat. Made it easy to get him to read every night.
Susan
Found this a little slow going so have put it aside.
Lori
Mar 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
My 8 year old son really liked this. I think I'll read it some day, but thought I'd give it some stars until then.
Buckham Kids Library
reading olympics book
Ryan
Nov 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ryan-s-shelf

This book is so good because it has lots of facts in it
Stephanie
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Around the World in 100 Days
  • Give Me Liberty
  • The Fighting Ground
  • Who Comes with Cannons?
  • The Adventures of Penrose the Mathematical Cat
  • Pirates of the Silver Coast (Three Thieves, #5)
  • Darby
  • Joey Fly, Private Eye in Creepy Crawly Crime
  • The Doll Shop Downstairs
  • Six Innings: A Game in the Life
  • The Pepins and Their Problems
Well-known for her popular children’s stories, author Elvira Woodruff had a long route to becoming a writer. In fact, one of her first jobs after leaving college was driving an ice cream truck. She has also worked as a receptionist, a janitor, a window dresser, a gardener, a shop owner, an assistant librarian, a waitress, and a storyteller. After working for several years in the children’s room of ...more

Time Travel Adventure (2 books)
  • George Washington's Socks