Start by marking “Fire” as Want to Read:
Fire

Fire (Losing Christina #3)

3.78  ·  Rating details ·  1,016 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
In the final book of this thriller trilogy, the evil Shevvingtons try to make Christina (and the town) believe she is obsessed with fire. Christina fights desperately for her sanity, but can she finally conquer the evil?
Hardcover
Published September 1st 2001 by Turtleback Books (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fire

Mitch
May 04, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes, I like to review classic books of the 90s, stuff from my earlier reading days that made a big impression on me. This one, unfortunately, I remember for all the wrong reasons. Fire's a psychological thriller and the third book in the Losing Christina series by the same author as Face on the Milk Carton. The first book, Fog is actually genuinely creepy, while Snow was one of those wrecks I just couldn't turn away from, so I just had to read Fire.

I wish I hadn't. The entire series is abo
Viktoria Jean
Oct 28, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: for all the forgotten
Losing Christina Trilogy
-Fog
-Snow
-Fire

Story Summary
Fog:
Christina leaves her home on Burning Fog Isle, off the Maine coast, to go to school on the mainland. She can handle the work, she can handle the kids who scorn her. But there's one thing she can't handle.
The Evil.
Something very dangerous is going on in the home of the principal, Mr. Shevvington, and his wife where Christina boards with the beautiful, dreamy Anya. It's driving Anya mad. What will happen to Christina?
Snow:
The Snow is
Susan
Nov 29, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Out of all three books from the series this was my favorite one. I think since I had been reading the books for so long I was able to connect more with the characters and have their emotions. The one thing I don't like is that the dialogue seems very childish even though at times I didn't understand all the vocabulary. As I read more Caroline B. Cooney books I've come to realize she writes very twisted ideas and I don't seem to understand why. The ending of the book was pretty pleasing and what ...more
Erin
Dec 17, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Yeah, I didn't really get this series. I think I was too old to be reading it for the first time.
Yusuf Motara
Jun 19, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The author should have stopped at Book #2.

I was almost rooting for the Shevvingtons to win in this book, simply because the protagonist became increasingly incompetent, unlikeable, and bubble-headed as the book progressed. She treats her "friends" like crap, unless one of them can do something for her. She becomes immensely paranoid (why? shouldn't Book 2's ending reduce that paranoia?). The fact is that, unlike in the earlier books, Christina does absolutely nothing to triumph in this book. If
Classical Lady
I do not have much to say about this. My problems with the previous books only worsened. There was once again a disconnected feeling from the last book, characters saying things about previous events that was different from what actually happened. On top of that one character that had previously only been around to remind us how not even her old friends would believe her, suddenly becomes more important in unbelievable and annoying ways. Characters continued to be irritating but the main charact ...more
Alesha
I think that the book was really good, because I really like how thu author gives detail about what the characters are thinking and how she describes things so that the reader can visualize what is happening in the story. What made me chose this book was the title, because it was a title that made the book seem interesting and also I read the back cover. I would recommend this novel to kids because it is packed with detail and somewhat adventure. My favorite part of the book is the end when Chri ...more
Jing
May 24, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 12th-grade
In the final part of the sequel, Christina attempts to survive her final days of school before being terrorized by the Shevvingtons to the point of being looked at as the mentally disabled. At the same time, she must continue to hide Val while learning the secrets of how to beat the Shevvingtons

To be honest, I did not find it as great as the second book. However, since the this is for an age group lower than mine,I guess it is good. I did not like the part where the person continues to talk ab
Nikayla Eastman
This book is about a girl named Christina and the evil couple that torture her on the island she's on for school, but her parents aren't there to save her. So all Christina can do is try to make her friends believe her, and finally get rid of the evil people who are like ghosts, haunting her every day. But sadly they live in the same building. The evil couple have a history of torturing girls, and leaving them helpless in mental hospitals. They torture every girl in a different way, but for Chri ...more
Natalie
Jun 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teen
Christina believes she has won. Anya is safe, far away, and Dolly has returned to the island to finish 6th grade. The Shevvingtons are leaving and she only has a few weeks before she will be done with them for good.

But strange things start happening again - matchbooks are littered everywhere around here and candles keep appearing nearby. Everyone believes Christina is obsessed with fire, even setting her own clothes on fire. Christina then meets Val, a former student of the Shevvingtons now liv
Tracy
Tywyll
The sudden prominence of fire didn't make much sense, compared to the other titles. Why the Shevvingtons did what they did was finally put into a straight sentence (tho it had been alluded to all along), but the reason wasn't satisfactory. Also that Christina fell prey to them, even for a short bit, was disappointing, but she was only a little girl. With such flighty teenage hormones - in love the second she laid eyes on one guy and another she viewed as her brother a moment before. The ending w ...more
Lori
Jan 21, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read the 3 books in this series just to get to the end and see what happened. I almost felt that the three books could have been combined into just one book, especially if all the repeated descriptions of people and places had been left out. I don't know why the author felt that we needed to know over and over what color hair someone had, or what someone else's face looked like.
Sa
This is one of my all time favorites.Christina is a strong heroine who helps girls who are victims.She is not perfect or invincible.She has her weak moments.I think her character is realistic for a teenager trapped in a horrifying situation.
Jenna
May 10, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I usually love Caroline's books, but this was utterely painful to read. It was boring and kind of seemed like a sorry attempt at a mild bit sci-fi or something with the house and sea calling her name. There is no really big climax so I found it dragging on and on.
Elizabeth Jones
Sep 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade
This series was a real page turner
Patrick
Feb 04, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Old Children's Book. Liked it as a kid, but haven't read it in years.
Kim
Nov 03, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Only because the psychological torture really got to me. Too real.
Jayne
Mar 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I want to find copies of the series first before I write a full review. I want to be able to remember details I may be forgetting since these were a few of my favorite books ever.
S.K. Munt
Jul 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As someone who was bullied, by both peers and a select number of adults, these books touched me in a way that no series ever will. I'm so grateful for them.
Jessie
May 20, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't know why it took me so long to get around to finishing the trilogy but I finally got the last book. I wouldn't read the trilogy a second time but I did quite enjoy each of them.
Julie S.
Feb 05, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: pre2010-pregr, own
I don't remember much of this book, but I remembered reading it as a young teen.
Nicole Lynn
Just a continuation of the first two books. Got boring, but ended well.
Lugosifan
Oct 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great conclusion to the trilogy!!!!! Loved the whole series, and it was action-packed, thrilling, and totally AWESOME!!!!!!
Cynthia Sillitoe
And this suspense series fizzled out. I hate when that happens.
Cindy
I read these books like they were going out of style back in middle school. They are a bit out of date being set in the 80s or early 90s, they are still fun, teenage horror reads.
Louisa
Nov 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
really enjoyed it - couldn't put it down
~❤FRiiSKii❤~
AMAZING! AMAZING! AMAZING!
Suzie
Feb 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Losing Christina series is really suspenseful! I was looking up books by Caroline B. Cooney and the title caught my eye so I read it! And I really enjoyed it.
Cassie
Feb 26, 2012
  • The Mall
  • The Invitation
  • Final Exam
  • The Dance (Final Friends #2)
  • Through the Hidden Door
  • Don't Look Behind You
  • The Burning (The Fear Street Saga, #3)
  • Don't Hurt Laurie
  • The Yearbook
Caroline Cooney knew in sixth grade that she wanted to be a writer when "the best teacher I ever had in my life" made writing her main focus. "He used to rip off covers from The New Yorker and pass them around and make us write a short story on whichever cover we got. I started writing then and never stopped!"
When her children were young, Caroline started writing books for young people -- with rem
More about Caroline B. Cooney

Losing Christina (3 books)
  • Fog (Losing Christina, #1)
  • Snow (Losing Christina, #2)