Start by marking “Another Monster at the End of This Book” as Want to Read:
Another Monster at the End of This Book

Another Monster at the End of This Book

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  1,845 Ratings  ·  133 Reviews
In this sequel, furry old Grover is still fearful of monsters--and he learns that there's another one at the end of this book! Just who is the monster at the end of this book?
Published August 11th 1997 by Golden Books (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Another Monster at the End of This Book, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Derek
May 13, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Why did I hate this book?

Is it because it matches the comedy beats of the brilliant original, adding nothing? No.

Is it because it cynically adds that treacly red git Elmo for no purpose? No.

What is it?

Just before the end, Grover and Elmo have this idiotic back-and-forth "no, you!" argument that takes up the entire page spread.

How does it end?

Grover shuts it down with a dismissive "whatever."

What word, in what tone, did my son pick up, catapulting him directly to a world-weary teenagerhood some n
Slither
Jul 20, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is a sequel to "The Monster at the End of This Book", and, sadly, I don't really like it much. It is not bad, per se, but the same joke as the earlier book, done less well.
Danielle
May 15, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Well, unlike its deeply philosophical predecessor, this one left me wanting. I guess one could make an argument that the ongoing push-and-pull argument between the furry protagonists is representative of the child-like id fighting against the developing superego that will soon supplant it. Or, perhaps, it is a deeper look into the value of sometimes allowing the id to take control because those imagined 'monsters' that the superego sees everywhere never actually existed. Or, well, it might be ab ...more
Michelle H.
Jan 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
One of the greatest books of our time.
Noah
May 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Carina
Sep 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My mom picked out this book at the library. She remembers reading the little golden book, The Monster at the End of This Book, at her grandma's house when she was a kid. She thought I would like this book, and she was right. She read it in silly Grover and Elmo voices. I made her read it to me over and over again. It was really funny! Grover is afraid that there might be a scary monster with an attitude at the end of the book, but curious Elmo wants to see the monster.
Debbie
Nov 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't know how my mom didn't know this one existed but I was super excited to find it for my kiddo.
Dreama
Sep 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant. One of my favorite children's books.
Jess
Jun 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very cute. But I liked the original more. Our kid loves 'Melmo' and is just okay with this one.
nikki
of course, i didn't expect this to be as good as its predecessor, but i also didn't expect it to be SO disappointing.
Wendy
Although I love the first "Monster at the End of This Book" book, this sequel really bugs me. Why? Well, in the first book, it's like Grover is interacting with the reader. Grover's too scared of monsters to go to the end of the book, and tries to keep you from turning pages, which of course you do anyway. And when you do, you as a reader (or the child involved in the reading) can feel brave and like a helper to your silly scaredy-cat friend Grover.

In the sequel, however, the interaction shifts
Gretchen
Sep 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
PB 7: I thought this book was great. Elmo is one of my favorite Sesame Street characters and I'm glad he made an appearance in the book. I enjoyed how the text itself expressed emotion. The text got larger when Grover was upset or worried, and smaller or even wiggly when he was scared or pleading with Elmo 'Not to turn the page.' Those kind of readig cues are fantastic for characterization and can really bring emotion to the story. On a second note: can I just say the illustrations are fantastic ...more
Jenni Golisch
Oct 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The illustrations in the picturebook app look almost three-dimensional. This book app is similar to the first app, but I know that many children are drawn to seeing Elmo in this story in addition to Grover. The characters talk with speech bubbles in a variety of fonts. The fonts change depending on emphasis, and MONSTER is capitalized in purple to draw attention to it. Grover and Elmo not only talk to each other, but they also speak to the reader. In order to turn each page and see what happens ...more
Jack Kirby and the X-man
I'm not a fan of Elmo - a little cutesy (ala Jar Jar Binks) for my liking.

This is a sequel that never needed to be made. 5 stars for the orignal (The Monster at the End of this Book) to 1 star for this terrible effort.

If it were a stand-alone book is would have got more. The joke is exactly the same as the original - but if it were new to you it'd be funny. The implementation was basically the same - so again pretty good. But really this was a typical merchandising decision to attempt to get the
Alicia Rotter
Mar 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Elmo and Grover are at it again! Grover is afraid of a scary monster at the end of the book and is surprised by who it actually is.

The illustrations for this book are very simple. I find it interesting that Elmo's name is red, because that color suggests caution and danger, which is Elmo continuing to tell the reader to turn the page. Grover's name is in blue which suggests calm and peace, and Grover is more timid and scared of what there is at the end of the book.

My favorite part of the book
Shannon McGrew
Dec 13, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I dislike this book because It's just a remake of "The monster at the end of this book" with Elmo thrown in. In the first one if felt like Grover was talking and interacting with you. In this one? The book doesn't need you, it's got Elmo. Congratulations, Elmo Stole your job readers.

Some little ones and a few big ones will love it just because it has Elmo, and yes he acts in character so I see no reason for them to have anything against this title. And Grover acts the exact same way he did in "T
Brittney
I really didn't like this one as much as the first. To me the animation was not as good, Grover didn't try as hard, and Elmo was a little Bossy. "Turn the page," or "Do it."

The Elmo characterization was good, I could hear Elmo saying "Yes Mr. Grover," or "Elmo wants to see the monster." So in that respect it was good. If you have not read this book, I recommend doing so, as well as reading the first.

Here's some links to read them, since they are hard to find:

The Monster At the End of this Book h
Josiah
Aug 17, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I thought that this was a wonderfully creative and worthy sequel to one of the best-loved Little Golden Books that has ever been written, "There's a Monster at the End of This Book".
Playing off of the charm of that first volume while introducing some humorous new twists, the writer-illustrator team of Jon Stone and Michael Smollin has created something very memorable in this book.
The language was noticeably contemporized from the first book, but I really didn't mind that, and my overall view
Brian
Feb 11, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
Another classic. I used to hate Elmo with a passion...he got all the focus and attention, stealing it away from my favorite monster Grover. The first book was awesome - why did they have to spin another one just to get Elmo in the picture.

Nowadays, I have a daughter who loves Elmo. And I guess he's kinda grown onto me. So now I guess I don't mind this book as much. After all, maybe it'll have the opposite effect: kids who are mainly into Elmo might discover the wonderful greatness of Ole Blue Fu
Sagan
Kid's Review: "I want the other one again."

Mom's Translation: He liked it, but he likes Grover better than Elmo. We have both in app form on the iPad so he is acquainted with each in their interactive forms.

He was happy to see it's also a book and asked me to read it even though he has it memorized, whereas when he saw I'd gotten The Monster at the End of this Book, in book form he snatched it and read it himself.
Bisma Kureshy
Sep 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
PB-8
This book was a fun read. It would make a good read aloud for children in kindergarden or even preschool! The way Grover and Elmo try to persuade the reader whether or not to turn the pages on the book are so funny. Elmo was so cute. He ws simply curious to see the monster at the end of the book where as Grover had no intention of finding out what was at the end. Reading this book to kids will also make them want to know who the monster at the end of the book is and they will have fun while
Sep 14, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another Monster at the End of the Book by Jon Stone illustrated by Michael Smollin.I think was trying to teach a lesson about people that are scared of things.Shouldn't worry to much because maybe its something that you shouldn't really be scared of.In this book a monster called Mr.Grover was scared to go to the end of the book and he tried to stop Elmo from turning the book pages even thought he tried he failed.I like this book because its funny and kinda fun to read.I would recomed this book t ...more
Lisa
Oct 18, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all parents, grandparents, etc
This is the second family favorite in the Reynolds library. Like the one before it, Another Monster At The End of This Book, has been by me (and only me) to my children since they were little. Both of these books are pulled out at the same time to be read.

This book is more fun to me than the first one because I can do the voice of Elmo and that is how it is read. It is very easy to get right into the characters and make it very entertaining to your readers when read out loud.
Helen Kumpel
This book is for: PreK-1
Reflection: This is a great follow-up book to "A MONSTER AT THE END OF THIS BOOK". Once again, Grover tries to stop the pages from turning and Elmo keeps finding ways (with the help of the reader) to reach the end of the book. Great book to help children realize how they interact with books, how we use books, and emotions of characters. The illustrations really show their emotions well and the pictures really look like they are trying to stop you from turning the pages!
Iqra Masood
Nov 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This picturebook is really funny saying that there is another monster at the end of this book. Grover, who does not want to see the monster, and Elmo, who is curious to see the monster, make up a good pairing of friends. After a few pages, they both decide to see the monster and get scared by seeing each other.
Elisabeth
Didn't expect it to be as good as the first one (and it wasn't, at all) - but it will give parents who have the orginal memorized (after a bajillion readings) another option. I love PBS and fully support Sesame Street - but does Elmo have to be in everything now? I would like to at least pretend he is more than a marketing ploy. :(
Ira Livingston
Dec 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
With nephews and nieces, I'm able to revisit my favorite books when I started reading. And this sequel to one of my favorite books, really captures the essence of the original both in the build up of tension, and the pacing of the book - this time adding Elmo, who is quite the opposite of the frightened Grover.
Hayley Stone
Seems like the author was simply trying to capitalize on the success of the first "Monster at the End of this Book," but seeing as it is essentially the same premise, it's much less effective here. No element of surprise, plus the reader's role is minimized by the addition of Elmo's character. Still a cute read, but nowhere near as fun or impacting.
Jean Oram
Mar 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
This book was a pleasant surprise. I'm not one for Sesame Street, but this book was funny. Kids will get a kick out of Grover talking 'to them' and asking them not to turn the page as there is a(nother) monster at the end of the book. Of course, Elmo and the kids turn the page. And guess what? There's a monster!!!
Rosalie
Feb 14, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i got this as a gift for my birthday (i think my 18th) by a good friend of mine. i think i like it because it's fun and has memory linked to it. my buddy who gave it to me has actually aggravated that he couldn't find the version he grew up with. being this was in the 90s and elmo was popular, he was aggravated by his happy red face.

very cute book. saving it for when i have kids.
lets talk on my book 1 11 Feb 08, 2008 02:43PM
  • Cookie Monster and the Cookie Tree (Little Golden Books)
  • Elmo Loves You (Sesame Street)
  • Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer)
  • Dog Train: A Wild Ride on the Rock-and-Roll Side [Book and CD]
  • The Christmas Story (Little Golden Book)
  • Where Is Baby's Pumpkin?
  • Mirror Me!: A Mirror Book (Baby Einstein)
  • Maisy's Bedtime
  • Froggy Learns to Swim
  • I Need My Monster
  • Aliens in Underpants Save the World
  • Animals
  • Love Monster
  • Where Do Kisses Come From?
  • When a Monster Is Born
  • Thomas and the Big Big Bridge (Thomas & Friends)
  • The Bears' Christmas
  • The Three Bears Board Book
Stone graduated from Williams College in 1952. He received a master's degree from the Yale University School of Drama in 1955, at which time he joined a CBS training program. Before helping to create Sesame Street, he worked on the popular children's television show Captain Kangaroo for CBS. He also worked on several other Muppet projects before and during his time on Sesame Street, and was the au ...more
More about Jon Stone...