Start by marking “Black's Law Dictionary” as Want to Read:
Black's Law Dictionary

Black's Law Dictionary

4.31  ·  Rating details ·  656 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
Book Summary of Black's Law Dictionary Edited by Bryan A. Garner, the world's leading legal lexicographer, Black's Law Dictionary, 8th Edition is now better than ever! The new 8th Edition has more than 43,000 definitions, plus almost 3,000 quotations. Alternative spellings or equivalent terms and expressions are provided for more than 5,300 terms and senses, serving a thes ...more
Hardcover, Eighth Edition, 1810 pages
Published May 14th 2004 by West Publishing Co (first published June 1891)

Darth J
Once upon a time I was a law nerd and wanted to become an attorney. While working at a firm curbed me of that right quick, I still loved all the jargon. This book is a handy reference guide to legalese.

Review also posted at My Bookshelf is Ready.
Drew
Aug 10, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: children of all ages
a murder-mystery wrapped in a true coming-of-age tale!
Jordan
Mar 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: law
And by "read," I mean used moderately.
Ben Moore
Jul 11, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Unfortunately stuck on this one - and other dry material - for the next two weeks.
Chelsey
Mar 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: debaters
Hehehe. Only a debater, and more importantly, only I would have a dictionary up here. : ]
Grayson
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Bryan Garner's edition is the best (8th ed. on).
Lorien Rhys ~ Live for tomorrow
Anyone have one hundred or so dollars to purchase this? >.<
Pansy
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference
This definitive law dictionary is also available in abridged and pocket versions. (No, I haven't read the whole thing.)
David Dranchak
Apr 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Black's Law Dictionary, 8th Edition is a helpful reference work for anyone in business or law today. Black's Law Dictionary offers precise and accurate legal definitions.

Black's Law Dictionary, 8th Edition is edited by lexicographer Bryan A. Garner and is distributed by Thomson-West Publishing Company.

Black's Law Dictionary has several editions and is available in many different media formats. Visit Black's website to learn more:

Kersten
I liked that it lists the related sub-topics under words (ex. under eviction, there's actual eviction, constructive eviction, etc. defined). The only drawback is you expect it to be in alphabetical order since it is a dictionary, so sometimes you have to go on a treasure hunt to find the word you need to define.
Zach
Aug 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is actually a review of the Ninth Edition. While this dictionary is comprehensive and very useful, the quality of the typesetting, printing, and binding leave much to be desired for so weighty a tome. I was hoping I'd never have to buy another one of these, but I might have to contact an antiquarian bookseller for a proper version.
Lance Cooper
Dec 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
FWIW, the book photo and publication information listed by GR are not correct. The seventh edition was published in 1999 by West Group. Henry Campbell Black had been dead a looong time before this edition appeared.
Jesse
Aug 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Solid reference.
Loretta
Jun 22, 2012 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
A must have!!!
Tammy Daniels
Oct 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Precise excellent reference tool but the binding of the heavy book leaves a lot to be desired considering the cost
Kathryn Michaels
Apr 08, 2007 rated it it was ok
i should use this more.
Gregory
Apr 10, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Particularly good is the appendix of legal maxims. Est quiddam perfectius in rebus licitus.
Terrance
Aug 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-some-of-it
Best of the best for legal definitions.
Adrienna
Dec 05, 2013 marked it as to-read
Shelves: gift, law-legal

*I believe I have this book packed with other law books that Dad sent in 2004, and other books thereafter...some just this week (2013).
Kathy Moody
Life saver!
Chava
Aug 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reference
Riveting. I couldn't put it down.
Diane Scannell
A must have on every serious genealogist's book shelf.
Annissa Fitriani
Dec 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
An excellent and absolutely perfect reference for Law Students and Practitioners
Brittney Lopez
Castle Noble
Dec 05, 2012
Thomas Irvin
Mar 28, 2009
  • Constitutional Law (University Casebook Series)
  • Plain English for Lawyers
  • The Bluebook: A Uniform System Citation
  • Civil Procedure: Examples & Explanations
  • Constitutional Law: Principles and Policies (Aspen Treatise Series)
  • Making Your Case: The Art of Persuading Judges
  • Law School Confidential: A Complete Guide to the Law School Experience: By Students, for Students
  • Typography for Lawyers
  • Property (Aspen Casebooks)
  • The Curmudgeon's Guide to Practicing Law
  • The Common Law
  • Getting to Maybe: How to Excel on Law School Exams
  • Roget's International Thesaurus
  • Academic Legal Writing: Law Review Articles, Student Notes, Seminar Papers, and Getting on Law Review (University Casebook Series)
  • Commentaries on the Laws of England, Volume 1: A Facsimile of the First Edition of 1765-1769
  • How to Start & Build a Law Practice
  • The Bramble Bush: The Classic Lectures on the Law and Law School
  • 1L of a Ride: A Well-Traveled Professor's Roadmap to Success in the First Year of Law School (Student Guides)