Start by marking “Making Face, Making Soul/Haciendo Caras: Creative and Critical Perspectives by Feminists of Color” as Want to Read:

4.4  ·  Rating details ·  919 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
A bold collection of creative pieces and theoretical essays by women of color. New thought and new dialogue: a book that will teach in the most multiple sense of that word: a book that will be of lasting value to many diverse communities of women as well as to students from those communities. The authors explore a full spectrum of present concerns in over seventy pieces th ...more
Published January 1st 1995 by Aunt Lute Books (first published January 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Making Face, Making Soul/Haciendo Caras, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Making Face, Making Soul/Haciendo Caras

Jimmy
Apr 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Below is an excerpt from Making Face, Making Soul: Critical Perspectives by Women of Color:

“¡LA CULTURA! ¡LA RAZA!
Sometimes all it means to me is suffering. Tragedy. Poverty. Las caras de los tortured santos y las mujeres en luto, toda la vida en luto. La miseria is not anything I want to remember and everything I cannot forget. Sometimes the bravery in facing and struggling in such life is too little. The courage with which a people siguen luchando against prejudice and injustice is not glory e
Roxana
Sep 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
"Violent responses in any form they take are accomplices to the wills which have created the need. The availability of drugs is not the problem or the dealer down on 122nd street. They are only players in a far more complex value system of booth which nurtures self-hatred. Self-hatred which is directing a den courage nge people to believe suicide is an option-as is alcohol or drug addiction of the reckless homicide on the highways.
We take from the oppressor the instruments of hatred and sharpen
claire
Apr 14, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those interested in unique human voices from all walks...
This is a wonderful collection edited by Gloria Anzaldua with numerous perspectives that would normally go overlooked. There are short stories, essays, poems, rants etc. There are so many perspectives that are put on the back burner of society's mind/heart/awareness. What I like about this book is that it gives a sampling of voices from otherwise "oppressed" voices without adding to the victim consciousness that often goes along with books like this. In the introduction Anzaldua talks about this ...more
Donna Davis
This was one of the texts for a women's studies course I took many years ago. Unlike most of my texts, I was fond enough of the poetry that I chose not to sell it back at the end of the class. I've used selections from it in classes I have taught since then.
Carmen something
May 10, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: poets, brothers, writers
The first time I fell in love, we read Not Editable by Chrystos together. Fiction, poetry, academic prose, and letters from the heart--Haciendo Caras continues to be a source of power and beauty for me.
Mel
Feb 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
My only disappointment was that there was a complete lack of pieces by or about trans women. Gender is never discussed outside of cisnormativity, and sexual orientation mostly talked about from a lesbian standpoint. Other than this, excellent collection of poetry/essays/short stories!
Katie
Nov 13, 2007 rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction
Book club.
Beverly
Sep 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I use this in my US Women of Colors graduate class.
Nicole
Mar 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I read this in college. This houses a strong collection of moving works.
Rose Arellano
Loved the stories. It was such good medicine.
Yaotl Nenetl
Mar 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A MUST READ for all!
Soccermom174
Feb 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
It was a fabulous and enjoyable while reading history
Joan
Dec 09, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gender
Great feminist reference material. I went back to this book repeatedly throughout college for papers.
simon
May 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
when i was an undergrad in women's studies, we used to call this "bridge part 2"

read it.
April
Influenced my feminism more than anything.I connect thro poetry & creative writing. So many perspectives...
gdnght
Jun 29, 2015 added it
Not sure if I read all of this but much. Textbook for Multicultural Lit at Gally.
Marcy Rae Henry
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
read many years ago...still valid
Doreen Kezzy
  • Home Girls: A Black Feminist Anthology
  • Third World Women and the Politics of Feminism
  • Words of Fire: An Anthology of African-American Feminist Thought
  • Methodology of the Oppressed
  • Pedagogies of Crossing: Meditations on Feminism, Sexual Politics, Memory, and the Sacred
  • Colonize This!: Young Women of Color on Today's Feminism
  • Undivided Rights: Women of Color Organizing for Reproductive Justice
  • Medicine Stories: History, Culture and the Politics of Integrity
  • Women of Color and the Reproductive Rights Movement
  • The Revolution Starts at Home: Confronting Intimate Violence Within Activist Communities
  • Talking Back: Thinking Feminist, Thinking Black
  • But Some Of Us Are Brave: All the Women Are White, All the Blacks Are Men: Black Women's Studies
  • Chicana Power!: Contested Histories of Feminism in the Chicano Movement
  • Feminism FOR REAL: Deconstructing the Academic Industrial Complex of Feminism
Gloria E. Anzaldúa was a scholar of Chicana cultural theory, feminist theory, and queer theory. She loosely based her best-known book, Borderlands/La Frontera: The New Mestiza, on her life growing up on the Mexican-Texas border and incorporated her lifelong feelings of social and cultural marginalization into her work.

When she was eleven, her family relocated to Hargill, Texas. Despite feeling dis
More about Gloria E. Anzaldúa