Start by marking “The Annapolis Book of Seamanship” as Want to Read:
The Annapolis Book of Seamanship

The Annapolis Book of Seamanship

Since the publication of the widely hailed first edition in 1983, The Annapolis Book of Seamanship has set the standard by which other books on sailing are measured. Used throughout America as a textbook in sailing schools and Power Squadrons, The Annapolis Book of Seamanship thoroughly and clearly covers the fundamental and advanced skills of modern sailing. This edition ...more
Hardcover, Expanded Third Edition, 416 pages
Published October 1st 1999 by Simon Schuster

To ask other readers questions about The Annapolis Book of Seamanship, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Annapolis Book of Seamanship

Start your review of The Annapolis Book of Seamanship
Joel
Mar 10, 2019 rated it liked it
The strength of this book is not in its writing but rather in its content and scope. It does a great job hitting the high level; setting a baseline for the insanely broad idea of seamanship. Kind of tying it all together.

I read an older version; the parts that are out of date are probably the least important. (Loran, for example. who does that any more...) But the fundamentals of it remain as important as they are timeless. And it will remain on the shelf in the boat as a reminder as well as a
David Israel
Oct 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the Book about seamanship, navigation and Laws and Customs on the High Seas. This is a must for the Coast Guard Captain's Licence and Master License Master of Vessels on Not More Than 100 Gross Registered Tons. Also checkout Chapman Piloting & Seamanship 65th Edition (CHAPMAN PILOTING, SEAMANSHIP AND SMALL BOAT HANDLING). These two are the textbooks for most classes.
David Cooper
Jul 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: old-favorites
A great reference book even for a lifelong sailor! And it covers everything if you're about to be afloat for the first time.
Brent
Jan 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you're a sailor, or aspiring to learn, this is an excellent resource.
Duncan
Sep 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Excellent How to Manual for everything you ever needed to know about sailing. Hand picked by my pops years ago (who was a top-notch sailor in his youth) I only just got around to reading it. I wish I'd read it sooner.

This is probably the best how-to manual all about sailing that there is out there.

My dad was a great sailor - he used to race for his university when he was at Cambridge in the UK - and we used to do quite a bit of sailing when we were kids.
Filippo Pacifici
Jan 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Annapolis Book of Seamanship is a quite comprehensive book that touches almost all topics every skipper should be familiar with (parts of the boats, manouvers, sail trim, metheorology, safety, navigation, emergencies, etc.).
The approach taken is to address every topic from a beginner standpoint and go deep gradually. I think this is at the same time good and bad. Good beginners because they can achieve a non trivial level just by following this book, less good for experienced sailors due to
Carl Brookins
Jul 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Just an outstanding and comprehensive manual for anyone who ever wants to do some serious sailing. Well-written, easy to understand and carefully organized, this book is like my bible. Every time I plan a sailing trip I always spend time refreshing myself and my knowledge with this book.
Jonathan
Jan 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
classic
Daniel
Nov 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Very readable. Seems that there is something here for the novice, while more experienced sailors could find it useful as a general resource.
Robin
Jun 16, 2009 is currently reading it
its deep! I am learning as fast as I can
Roger Hallman
Jul 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
An excellent reference for sailors. A must-have.
John Volker
Mar 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A must have for the sailor. It is the bible.
Linus Wilson
Jan 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A great resource.
Robert
Feb 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
One of the best.
James Place
Feb 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful sailing reference!

A twenty word review requirement? Bla, bla, bla, bla,bla, bla, bla, bla, bla, bla, bla, bla, this is not a good idea.
TurtleMoon
Rereading. I have the third edition.
Matt
Jo
Feb 05, 2008

• The Long Way
  • Emergency & Critical Care Pocket Guide
  • Chapman Piloting & Seamanship 68th Edition (Chapman Piloting and Seamanship)
  • Sewing for Fashion Designers
  • The Voyager's Handbook: The Essential Guide to Blue Water Cruising
  • Cracking the Coding Interview: 150 Programming Questions and Solutions
  • Belinda Blinked 2 (Belinda Blinked, #2)
  • Belinda Blinked 3 (Belinda Blinked, #3)
  • Belinda Blinked 4 (Belinda Blinked, #4)
  • Belinda Blinked 1 (Belinda Blinked, #1)
  • Brave or Stupid
  • Twenty Small Sailboats to Take You Anywhere
  • Deep: Freediving, Renegade Science, and What the Ocean Tells Us about Ourselves
  • Tip of the Iceberg: My 3,000-Mile Journey Around Wild Alaska, the Last Great American Frontier
  • Escape from the Ordinary
  • The Case Against Sugar
  • John Muir and the Ice That Started a Fire: How a Visionary and the Glaciers of Alaska Changed America
  • The Complete Sailor: Learning the Art of Sailing
John Rousmaniere has sailed in over 35,000 miles of offshore voyaging and racing. He crewed on the 48-foot Toscana in the fateful Fastnet Race of 1979.