Start by marking “Little Chicken's Big Day” as Want to Read:
Little Chicken's Big Day

Little Chicken's Big Day

"I hear you cluckin', Big Chicken!" That's the simple refrain that Little Chicken repeats to his mama throughout a typical day. But Little Chicken can be distractable . . . and when he wanders off and gets lost, the day becomes anything but typical. With subtlety and humor, this sweet little story sweeps through a wide range emotions using the simplest of language.

From hu
Published April 19th 2011 by Margaret K. McElderry Books

To ask other readers questions about Little Chicken's Big Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little Chicken's Big Day

Betsy
Oct 14, 2011 Betsy rated it really liked it
Are there any picture book catchphrases that have entered the cultural lexicon? I'm serious in asking this, but I'm a poor judge of what everyone knows. When you spend your days reading lines like "He was a big FAT caterpillar" aloud and then find yourself working those phrases into your everyday speech, you're not exactly the best average consumer. Still, even I know that when you look at the great picture book classics, they may be great books but you don't hear words or phrases from them show ...more
paula
Katie Davis's Who Hops? is one of the all-time toddler storytime classics. Bright and lively, it encourages participant reading. Little Chicken, which is even simpler, joins that book. There's something very Zen about Little Chicken: the purest little 1-2-3 koan of a story, illustrated in the purest warm colors against a pure white background. Also, Little Chicken wears red Chucks, and as we all know, there is no shoe that is more essentially Shoe than red Chucks.

Full review on Pink Me: http://p
Barbara
May 17, 2011 Barbara rated it really liked it
Shelves: story-time
I want a poster of the art work of the "storytime" double page spread.
This little chicken is cuter than the dickens.
David
Mar 05, 2013 David rated it it was ok
Even though I know, really know, not to judge a book by it's cover, I still occasionally do. I was attracted to Little Chicken's Big Day by Jerry Davis, illustrated by Katie Davis primarily by the huge image of Little Chick on the cover. Inside there is only one picture that size.

Davis' illustrations are attractive and use varied perspectives. The distracted chick (youngster) sequence is cute, if not original. My favorite images are butterfly sequence, upside-down look, clutching leg, Mama &
Johna Brown
Aug 29, 2013 Johna Brown rated it it was ok
When reading the title, I assumed it was going to be a fiction story about a little chick going to school, I was wrong. It was about a mother and son spending their day together. The son did everything the mom asked until a butterfly distracted him. His eyes were supposed to stay on his mom but it somehow was stuck on the movement of the butterfly. Little chicken got lost. Big chicken began to cluck and little chick followed her voice. They went back home, the mom read little chicken a story, an ...more
Sarah W
Apr 27, 2011 Sarah W rated it really liked it
Little Chicken's Big Day is a brightly told picture book recounting one small chick's day out with his mom. This charming story is full of attitude that will have both children and adults grinning. The little chick replies to his mom's demands to get ready and buckle up with the repeated "I hear you cluckin', Big Chicken".

It isn't long before curiosity has the little chick wandering off after a butterfly and is soon separated from Big Chicken. Her big clucking voice helps him joyfully reunite wi
Barbara
Jun 09, 2011 Barbara rated it it was ok
Shelves: ncbla
Little Chicken and his mom get dressed and prepare to face the day. They take off in the car and then travel on foot to spend the day together. Of course, Little Chicken can barely keep up with his mother's fast pace. And then, there are all these attractive distractions such as a butterfly and a flower. Little Chicken doesn't know where his mother has gone until he hears her calling. The phrase "I hear you cluckin', Big Chicken" flows through the pages in various tones: resignation, annoyance, ...more
Nancy Jo Lambert
Apr 28, 2011 Nancy Jo Lambert rated it it was amazing
Thank you to @MrSchuReads (John Schu) for allowing me to read this book after "winning" it on Twitter! What a joy it was to come home to this little gem yesterday! I immediately shared it with my kids, then took it to school and shared it there!

This fabulously illstrated and beautifully written story shows the wonder and merriment kids can find in the mundane, despite our best efforts to keep them in line. The words leap off the page and kids instantly know that they are chick! This is a great r
Candice
Oct 20, 2011 Candice rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A not-very-special book about the day in the life of a little chicken. Little Chicken gets up and Big Chicken offers a series of commands - "Wash your face! Brush your teeth! Get dressed!" whereupon Little Chicken responds, "I hear you cluckin', Big Chicken." It's a cute phrase that will be repeated throughout the book. They go out for the day and Big Chicken tells Little Chicken to hold her hand, but the pretty purple butterfly is so tempting, and soon Little Chicken becomes separated from Big ...more
Romelle
Sep 14, 2012 Romelle rated it it was ok
Big, bold illustrations on a vast white background. My favorite line is, "I hear you cluckin', big chicken," which is repeated in the story. The entire story is only about 67 words. LITTLE CHICKEN'S BIG DAY is about a little chicken who goes out with his mom only to be distracted by the world around him. He gets lost, then found, and is happy to be with his Mama again. This is a book in which the pictures tell the story. While cute, this is best suited as a board book. It felt slight, especially ...more
Rachel
May 27, 2014 Rachel rated it really liked it
This book just grabbed my attention at the library with its bright happy colors and simple illustrations (I thought it was adorable), so decided to get it for my son. Little Chicken does everything his Momma orders him to do and always responds with "I hear you cluckin' Big Chicken!". One day while out with him Momma, he wanders off after a butterfly and gets lost. She soon finds him and they go home, where they read a story together and go to bed. Recommended for ages 2-6, 4 stars.
Allison Parker
Sep 10, 2011 Allison Parker rated it really liked it
Little Chicken's life is dominated by instructions from his mother: "Wash your face!" "Get dressed!" "Time to go!" He can't help but mutter with a touch of attitude, "I hear you cluckin', Big Chicken." It's not until he finds himself lost that the value of his mother's incessant voice becomes known. Sparse and cleverly designed pages with dialogue-only text offers a surprisingly sophisticated choice for storytime.
Maria Andrade
Feb 25, 2014 Maria Andrade rated it really liked it
This cute and colorful children’s book introduces little chicken and his annoyance of being told what to do by Big Chicken also known as his mother. When little chicken gets lost, he begins to scream for his mother’s embrace. His mother soon finds him and little chicken couldn't be happier with his mother’s nagging. This book would be a great read aloud with kindergartners, to discuss the importance of listening to other concerns and that their nagging is only done for their own well being.
Jasmine Robinson
Aug 30, 2013 Jasmine Robinson rated it it was ok
I wasn't really a fan of this book because the book made me think that "Little Chicken's First day" was about his first day of school. I really didn't understand what they meant by "his first day" because in my opinion, he wasn't really doing anything to show his first time doing something. On the other hand, I like the book because it is an easy read and there are many big and pretty pictures. I give the book 2 stars.
Jessica
Aug 28, 2012 Jessica rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Little chicken just keeps listening to his mother clucking commands. Then little chicken and her mother go on an outing, but little chicken is distracted by a butterfly and gets lost. Mama big chicken searches for little chicken and finally finds her. Little chicken is so happy to see her mama that she doesn't mind her clucking so much this time! My daughter and I loved this one, I think because story is very much like a typical day for us but set to the tone of mother and baby chicken.
Meredith
Jul 02, 2011 Meredith rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books, animal
Both the pictures and the text in this book are minimalistic, with large blocks of vivid, uninterrupted color sitting next to sparse text on each page. The artwork really appeals to me, but the words and story feel somehow lacking. My favorite pages are two spreads that have no text at all, making me wonder what the book would be like if some of the art was slightly modified to accommodate a wordless book.
Megan
Apr 27, 2011 Megan rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: toddler-preschool
Little Chicken is getting ready for the day, and as his mother gives him tasks to do, he responds with an exasperated, "I hear you cluckin', Big Chicken." Yet when he gets lost and finally hears his mother calling, he's relieved to call, "I hear you cluckin', Big Chicken" and run to her. Little Chicken's perspective is clear, and Big Chicken is only show from the leg down or from behind. Fun for kids and parents.
Melissa
Things I like: the all-too-familiar parent commands (Hold my hand! Follow me! Time to go!); how the "I hear you cluckin'" line is used in different ways throughout the book; the picture of the chick hugging the mama's skinny legs; how the mama stops her bustle once she finds her chick to hug, play, and look at the butterfly.

Katie Davis knows her way around a toddler book (Who Hops?) but is not my style of illustrator. I think the cover is the strongest.
Nielson
Apr 29, 2011 Nielson rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
Didn't really love this. Big Chicken and Little Chicken go out for the day, but curiosity soon gets the better of Little Chicken and he strays from Big Chicken. But when he hears Big Chicken cluckin', he knows things are going to be alright. The story and illustrations were mediocre all around for me. Nothing about this struck my fancy except that it was a book about a mom and her little chick. Definitely pass up-able.
Jodi Young
Aug 23, 2011 Jodi Young rated it really liked it
Shelves: animals, routines
Cute book! This book could be on a shelf for individual read if need be. Short sentences and easy to recognize words. This book could be used to talk about routines during the morning and the night. You would need another story to expand with it, because with Little Chicken being a chicken, he didnt have to do most things that students do.
Tricia
Jul 20, 2011 Tricia rated it really liked it
I love this book but I'm not sure that the cuteness of it all will translate to a storytime audience. Little chicken has a little attitude ("I hear you cluckin', Big Chicken."...until he gets distracted by a butterfly and momentarily loses his Big Chicken. This is one that certain children will be drawn to and want to read over and over.
Susie
May 03, 2011 Susie rated it really liked it
I really, really, wanted to like this book. I did, but I guess my expectations may have been too high. I can easily picture reading it over and over again to a child, with its simple, important message. I can also see a primary class clamoring for this book. I just wish there were a little more to it.
Arthur Pengerbil
Feb 22, 2012 Arthur Pengerbil rated it really liked it
Reading Level: Ages 3+

Cluck, cluck, cluck. Do this, Little Chicken, do that, Little Chicken. Come here! Brush your teeth! Get dressed! Little Chicken is sick of being told what to do!! But uh oh…

Big Chicken?

Where are you?

For more book reviews from the HPPL Youth Department, click here.
Tara
Jul 11, 2012 Tara rated it liked it
Very cute illustrations, simple on plain white backgrounds for good contrast. Good character development, complete plot. Minimalist style using illustrations to tell the story. You can feel the emotions of Little Chicken as he goes from being annoyed at the sound of Big Chicken's voice to fear at not hearing her and finally relief at finding her again.
Sandy Brehl
Jan 24, 2012 Sandy Brehl rated it really liked it
Shelves: pb-fiction
Vibrant in image and voice, the dramatically large/small sized characters, familiar scenarios, and expressive faces provide an easy identification for any "little ones" who find themselves always keeping up with Mama. A great comforting resolution and humorous last line are the perfect finish- before going back to read it again and again.
Kathy Ellen Davis
Feb 17, 2013 Kathy Ellen Davis rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Little Chicken IS SO CUTE!
I love the repetition of "I hear you cluckin' Big Chicken"
and how simple the story is, but it's a great day in Little Chicken's life.
Cute and simple illustrations too.
Fun book!

Haiku Review:
Little Chicken frowns
and follows around Mama
but then, he gets lost!
Marcia
Mar 12, 2012 Marcia rated it really liked it
"I hear you cluckin' big chicken". What a great response, as little chick is rushed through her day by her mother. When she stops to watch a butterfly, Mom finally "gets it" and stops to give her a hug. A nice reminder to SLOW DOWN! This will be a fun one to read with Prek and K with it's bright, simple illustrations and catchy phrasing.
Kelly
May 06, 2011 Kelly added it
Shelves: picture-book
I liked the jacket cover summary better than the book. The book didn't seem to have a plot. The illustrations were cute, and I liked how there was not much on the page to represent that little chick was in his own world but think it could have been more colorful anyway or make little chick bigger.
Emily
Jul 20, 2011 Emily rated it really liked it
Big Chicken?
Where are you?
Jess Brown
May 24, 2011 Jess Brown rated it really liked it
Aw, what a cute one! Nothing to fancy or complicated here, just the story of a day with little chicken and his mother. I like the big, bold, simple illustrations. A lot of the scenes made me smile because I can picture a child behaving just that way! Nice one for the little ones.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • I'm Here
  • Blue Chicken
  • Worms for Lunch?
  • Where's Walrus?
  • Just How Long Can A Long String Be?!
  • The Loopy Coop Hens
  • Farmyard Beat
  • I Am Small
  • Forever Friends
  • Rah, Rah, Radishes!: A Vegetable Chant
Childrens author/illustrator Katie Davis has published nine books and appears monthly on the ABC affiliate show, Good Morning Connecticut, recommending great books for kids. She produces Brain Burps About Books, a podcast about kidlit, with an affiliated blog and monthly newsletter. Katie volunteers in a maximum security prison teaching Writing for Children and over the last dozen years has presen ...more
More about Jerry Davis...