Start by marking “Crushed” as Want to Read:
Crushed

Crushed

3.39  ·  Rating details ·  396 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews
Audrey and her best friends Lea and C.C. have just arrived at Jemison High from the one-room private school where they spent grades six through ten, where they performed Gilbert and Sullivan musicals, where they adored Edith Wharton. They’re a nerdy little trio, so everyone is shocked when the handsome new guy, Wickham Hill, asks Audrey out.
Audrey is soon so smitten that
Published (first published January 10th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Crushed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crushed

Heidi
Sep 12, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teen
Maybe 4 stars is too high a rating, but I found myself absorbed in this story more than I expected to.

When our "good girl" heroine falls for a boy named Wickham, it's pretty clear what's going to happen. And it does, but I still ached for our heroine. There isn't much more similarity to Pride and Prejudice beyond the Wickham story and the general theme of misjudging people. I mean, Clyde is certainly no Mr. Darcy.

The main characters were well defined and more than just stereotypes. I really like
Jenna Owens
Before reading this book, I decided to check it's rating. Seeing as it had a relatively low rating compared to most of the books I read, I feel like that mayyyy have caused to me to focus on the negative more than the positive while reading. However, I did go through this pretty fast and despite the predictable plot (I could pretty much guess the ending from the time I got to the third chapter) I didn't totally hate it. Sure, there were a lot of times the writing was "eh" and I felt a lot of the ...more
Angela
Jun 18, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Crushed is reminding me quite a bit of The Penderwicks. Both books feature a setting that would have been perfectly natural in a book from 50 or 100 years ago: The Penderwicks' summer vacation cottage, and in Crushed, the one-room private school the lead character, Audrey, attended before going to public high school.

I'm just a few chapters in, but the characters in Crushed are becoming very well rounded, especially the mysterious boy who's always staring at Audrey.
Mercy
Sep 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Crushed was written by Laura and Tom McNeal. The book, published by Alfred A. Knopf, is 308 pages. The cover is a picture of three maids, which are best friends. By looking at the book cover I made a prediction that these three little maids would find themselves finding hatred in between their friendship and soon they wouldn’t be three little maids.

About a third way through the book (pg. 135), Audrey Reed is in a relationship with Wickham Hill, who is hiding many secrets behind his drawl voice
Gail
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A childhood favorite, Crushed is one of the books I go back to regularly. Although the plot moves slowly, the prose is comforting. There's a lot of small details that give the descriptions a satisfying taste, like warm chicken noodle soup.

It details the typical troubles that an adolescent goes through, including single parents, breakups, bullies, and crushes. A must-read coming-of-age novel for all teens.
Lucy
Mar 17, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teen
Audrey Reed and her best friends Lea and CC have just arrived at Jemison High from the one-room private school where they've gone to school for grades six through ten. They're a nerdy little group, so everyone is shocked when the attractive new guy, Wickham Hill, asks Audrey out. Audrey is so smitten with Wickham that she doesn't pay enough attention to other things. Like the Yellow Paper, the underground newspaper that is dredging up vicious stories about students and teachers alike. Or Theo Dr ...more
Elle
Aug 27, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Crushed was a very fast, easy read, but ultimately it fell flat and it didn't leave me feeling much of anything at all.

I felt the characters were one-dimensional and uninteresting, which is automatically a negative in a contemporary where the main requisite is that I need to care about these characters. The main character, Audrey, was very unlikeable and I couldn't quite feel any sympathy for her regarding the situation with her father or the woes in her relationship with Wickham. And Wickham? H
Taylor
Nov 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My book is Crushed by Laura and Tom McNeal. When Audrey Reed and her nerdy group of friends are new to Jeminson High School. They previously went to a private school. There's is a new boy named Wickham Hill, who Audrey thought was mysteriously cute. Audrey see's a little evil in his eyes, but she doesn't mind. To her suprise, Wickham asks her out, which not only shocks her and her friends along with everyone else. There's an anonymous school newspaper (called the Yellow Paper) that tells everyon ...more
Rachael Penrod
Sep 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Audrey Reed and her two Best friends are new to Jemison High school. They had previously went to a private school. There is also a new boy named Whickam Hill that asks Audrey out, which shocks several people. Audrey doesn't care much about the Yellow Paper, which is an anonymous newspaper that tells others dirty secrets. But when she thinks it could tell a secret that could change everything she has to find out who is writing it, and stop them. Audrey finds herself in several situations througho ...more
Marisa
Aug 05, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
I didn't know it when I started this book, but it's actually the third in a series. Series includes Zipped and, umm, something else. Not a series so much, because it doesn't matter AT ALL if you read the rest (I actually didn't realize it had related books until after I'd read it), but a collection of books about the same three girls.
Anyway, this was much better than I had expected it to be. I was looking for fluffy teen drama to recommend to problem-novel loving girls. And to an extent that's
Rachel
Jun 20, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-books
The problem with this book is that I never had anyone to root for. I pretty much disliked every single character. I never understood them. Their behavior wasn't consistent.

Take the heroine Audrey. At first she's a smart girl, school nerd, outcast. Then she's a naive rich girl. The two never quite matched up to make a complete whole.

And the secondary characters felt like they were more conveniences than real people. This started with their names. Almost no one in the entire book has a name that s
Debbie
Mar 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought i would give this book five stars until I reached the end. I found myself really absorbed in the beginning and middle but at the end I was angry. I wanted to see her save herself and not wait for a boy to save her. The book starts out with Audrey falling in love way too quickly with a new boy named Wickham. Then once his secrets come out, things change. I'd recommend this book for those looking for an easy read and a page turner. It was entertaining but wasn't earth shattering.
Mari
Jul 08, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
more like 3.5 stars... this book was totally depressing but i couldn't stop reading it. the story really drew me in and there were times when i had to put the book down and breathe and think and process what i just read. it felt as if there wasn't much depth to the characters but for some reason, i think it worked better and i ended up thinking about human nature and the characters' motivations, how a certain person becomes how he/she is.
Danielle Richert
I picked up the book because I recognized the authors. I have read their book, Crooked, and thought it was interesting and thought-provoking. I read the first couple of pages of Crushed, and was hooked into the story right away. The main character seems so innocent and vulnerable. She doesn't seem to really see what is going on around her and I think that is going to lead to major trouble.
Allessandra Delagrange
I thought that this book was an amazing book. I liked the way that it was both predictable and yet also surprising. I thought that it was more realistic than other books because the whole thing wasn't about how everything went right with Audrey's life, but how most everything in her life went wrong and how she had to deal with it.
Renee
Feb 25, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Zemika White
Sep 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It made me happy yet angry I felt that I was in the book. That I was the main character, This book is so romantic but also full of drama, to tell the truth when I near the end of the book and read a part that got me mad and sad. I literally threw the book against the wall out of anger of certain characters. I guess that what they mean in putting your self in your characters shoes.
Sam
Mar 27, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I feel like the structure of this book was really ineffective. 96% of the book was teenage melodrama that I thought barely contributed to the main theme. I did, however, find the story to be succesful at capturing the attention of a teenage reader. Although I thought it was missing a lot of elements of good fictional writing, I enjoyed the story and characters, who were easy to connect with.
Jenn
Jul 15, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Weirdest cover I've ever seen. Had nothing to do with the book, by the way. N-O-T-H-I-N-G. I do judge books by their cover, just so you know. ;o) But I bought it anyway because it was, like, 90 cents and the description looked good enough to try it out. And I did actually like it. So there you go. :o)
Lindsey
Jan 27, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Here's the thing about this book... It makes you feel absolutely horrible. It's really frustrating, but it makes a good point at the end. But, you have to actually make it to the end and sometimes that was hard because it makes you feel so upset and frustrated.
Shelley
I really enjoyed this book. It was sharp, funny and not full of high school girl fluff! This nerdy trio of high school girls lead by Audrey was like revisting my high school days with a full cast of best gal pals, bullies and handsome hotties.
Julie
Let's just put this on the record as having the worst cover ever! The story was good but not great. Although the ending was predictable from the beginning, the story just made me feel good. The underlying theme was about making choices and then facing the consequences that come along with them.
Annie
May 18, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little awkward at the beginning... really through the first half of the book.
It really captures the realistic first/bad attempts at love and very interesting to see how it all plays out especially with differences in social class.
Stacey Lucky

This plot was all over the place! It made hardly any sense. I think this would have made a better movie than a book. The story itself wasn't bad but once I got to the end I thought ,so what was the point of all this?
Sharon
Jun 29, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Although well written, this book leaves you feeling a little empty and yet wanting more to the story. McNeal could have written more into the thoughts and feelings of some of the characters. The story unfolds to an unexpected ending.
Mindi
Oct 08, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would have given this more stars because I read it so fast and couldn't put it down, but there were a couple things in it that would keep me from recommending it. After finishing it and seeing the end result, I am glad I read it.
Ashley
Dec 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book except the ending. This book was very frustrating, but it kept me wanting to read more. I did not like the ending because the bad guy got a good life. The good guy got a good life too, but I think the bad guy should have been punished. Overall a very good book!
Libby
Dec 08, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Can't say I'd recommend this one, but it got me thinking about human nature, etc., etc. I liked the way it ended, but had a hard time through most of the book.
Kricket
Feb 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i really enjoyed this high school dramedy, which was very loosely based on "pride & prejudice." a sweet and well-written story.
Katherine
Apr 13, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-fiction
Some great storytelling here, but the protagonist wasn't as fully developed as that of "Crooked" and the ending left me wanting morre...
  • Heart on My Sleeve
  • Fragments
  • The Heart is Not a Size
  • Cold Hands, Warm Heart
  • The Rise and Fall of a 10th Grade Social Climber
Writer of things for and about the naively hopeful
More about Laura McNeal...