Start by marking “Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 2 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #2)” as Want to Read:
Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 2 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #2)

Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 2

(Fullmetal Alchemist #2)

In an alchemical ritual gone wrong, Edward Elric lost his arm and his leg, and his brother Alphonse became nothing but a soul in a suit of armor. Equipped with mechanical "auto-mail" limbs, Edward becomes a state alchemist, seeking the one thing that can restore his brother and himself... the legendary Philosopher's Stone.

There are many types of alchemy in the world.
Published July 5th 2005 by VIZ Media LLC (first published May 20th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 2

Start your review of Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 2 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #2)
Jen/The Tolkien Gal/ジェニファー
Buddy read adventures with Bhavik AKA Roy Mustang

Haha. I just realised which volume this is.

Oh no.

Image result for nina FMA gif

Chapter 5: The Alchemist's Suffering" (錬金術師の苦悩 Renkinjutsushi no Kunō
Mega spoilers for those who haven’t seen FMA or FMAB/ read the manga
First: in all honesty, the original FMA made this a hell of a lot sadder.

I absolutely love the relationship between Ed and Mustang. Their dynamic makes me happy.

In this volume, Roy owes Ed for apprehending some baddies. And so, Roy introduces them to Nina and
Lily
Well, ouch. I picked this up looking for an fun, action-y read in the style of volume 1. I did not expect it to perforate my heart quite so quickly, or to haunt me for so long afterwards. The story still has its cute and slapstick moments, but their ephemerality is painfully evident. There's now little doubt that the stakes are high, and that the unthinkable is actually very thinkable for certain people. The early part of the story is so chilling that it kinda overshadowed everything that came ...more
Grace, Queen of Crows and Tomes
Second volume is better than the first one!!! We get to see more emotion from Edward and we also get to see the strong bond between the Elric brothers. I really love these two boys so much and I just want them to be happy!!! Definitely reading the next one soon!
Jedi JC Daquis
Feb 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
While the first volume establishes the essentials in Fullmetal Alchemist, volume two expands this industrial-mechanical world as it introduces evem new characters and storylines.

Volume 2 also does not veer away from elements which are pretty much hard to stomach, alchemy and political issues that display the dark side of this world. Kudos to Arakawa for being bold im writing these darmer elements.

But FA is not Attack of Titan. It may be heavy on certain scenes, but the humor and the deliberate
Olivia
Nov 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was wildly entertaining and a particular moment had me *shook* with me immediately thinking "yeah... probably a 5 star read."
Kogiopsis
Mar 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
At the end of every volume of FMA is a very small panel depicting all the characters who died with halos over their heads and wings on their backs, ascending to Heaven.

It's worth noting that Shou Tucker is shown wallowing in Hell. Even Father gets to go to Heaven, but Tucker goes to Hell. That makes me bizarrely happy, because I hate Tucker more than I hate any other character in the series, bar none - not Pride, though he creeps me out; not Envy, even after all he's done; not even Kimblee,
Becky
Feb 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Hawkeye is my favourite and I wish there were more girls.
Nərmin
Woow! The coolness of this volume was impressive! I loved how it can be both funny and dark...Really liked Elric brothers))
Caroline
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
ANOTHER great volume! I loved learning more about our two main characters as we get deeper into the story. I haven't watched the anime so all of this is new and exciting for me and I AM LOVING IT.

Meeting new characters was a lot of fun, especially Roy Mustang because I've heard a lot about him. It was really cool as well to meet a villain character and see some awesome fight sequences. Scar seems like he'll be a really interesting antagonist. The art style is still great and I found fights easy
Ewelina
Jul 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
I :) am :) perfectly :) fine. :)))
Radwa
Jun 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga, e-books
So I can see a lot of religious details, such as introducing three of the seven deadly sins (lust, gluttony, envy) as demons? at this point, I don't know what they really are, but they're there. Scar's whole story and religious view are interesting. Using Alchemy to destroy Alchemists in the name of (religion?).

I'm enjoying the tasks Edward and Al go through, and despite not being able to keep up with all the alchemists introduced in this volume, I love their variety. We also need more female
Andi
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
i love this
Maija
Dec 18, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics-manga, fantasy
The Shou Tucker storyline is still one of the creepiest things I've ever read/watched.

The bigger plot gets started in this one. Still good, but a lot of characters are introduced that we'll only learn more about later, leaving them a bit flimsy for now.
Sylwia (Wish Fulfillment)
I'm impressed by the way the authors begins this story in general, how we're dropped into the middle of it and we learn without info-dumps. I'm also impressed by how the creator thinks outside of the box in terms of world-building and characterization. Some of the parts that I think are supposed to hit hard I thought were mundane, but I'm committed to this series for now.
Julie (Manga Maniac Cafe)
Jan 08, 2017 rated it really liked it

As Edward and Al continue their quest to get their original bodies back, they encounter danger, and see how far a desperate alchemist will go to keep his license.

This volume broadens the examination of the dark side of alchemy and the theory of equivalent exchange. What is the life of young girl worth, when her father has run out of options in his research? When he does the unthinkable, Edward realizes how close to the edge of darkness he came during his efforts to perform forbidden
daisy
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
Re-read these first three volumes so I can continue on with the manga!! Enjoyed it just as much as the first time - I adore the cast and the art style and everything about this series!
Jessie_Book
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Damn I forgot how dark this manga is. I will forever be scarred by one of the chapters in this book. Ya'll know which one.
Michelle
Jun 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: borrowed
I really struggled with rating this 3* or 4*. On one hand, this manga is the basis of one of my most favorite anime series ever, a series that I even added to my meager bluray collection (to clarify, I mean FMA:B, not the first incarnation - I'm one of the few who loathed that one). On the other hand, this was a slow volume that was conveyed most excellently on TV, and retreading it here was a bit...uneventful, to me.

All in all, it probably deserves 4*, but my rating is what it is.
Andrew
Big time fun. And surprising depth. I’m enjoying this more than I thought I would. Glad I finally came around.
Bethany Kellam
May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Well...I laughed...I cried...it moved me, Bob.

I think that's all I can say about it.
Ishraq
Feb 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned, manga
These two are one of a kind!

Lanie
Nov 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: manga fans
I take back what I said in my review of book one. ;)

I thought the first volume of "fullmetal alchemist" was pretty cheesy. Kinda cutesy & leaning more towards the lower end of the teenage audience range it's going for.

But this!

Volume two...

My god! This was anything BUT cheesy. This was so sad. And so epic. And funny. There was so much character development and world building. We were given so much reason to love Al & Ed, echo at first seem like goofballs, but are really so much deeper
Aubrey Hansen
Jan 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Argh, I'm so behind on my reading goal! This is what working 80 hours a week does to a person... But I am determined to catch up! I've acquired so many deliciously cheap and intriguing used books in the last few days...

***

Whereas the Vol.1 of this manga was more episodic with a few loosely-related and mostly-fun escapades, the plot in Vol.2 is more cohesive as the overall story begins to deepen, adding layers and intertwining elements. The stakes are raised, and as a result, this volume is more
Donald Trump (Parody)
Nov 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
You know, Goodreads should have more faith in me. First they change my name to have PARODY on the end, like they don't believe their Great and Brave leader enjoys a fuckin' book now and then, but now they sendin me these emails asking me to lay off on the 1000 book challenge, to scale it back to some pussy number like 200. I told them to stop bugging me when I had a lot to get fuckin' done before this miserable year was dead. They have no faith. Zero. I eat through these fuckin' things like a ...more
Mike
I don't really know why I'm not into this series as I should be. Maybe it's the lack of an overarching plot, or villain - sure, there's the general theme of Edward and Alphonse trying to get their old bodies back, but the events of this volume and the last one didn't really work towards that theme. The lack of tension that this causes is pretty much all I can think of, in terms of why this isn't wowing me the way it seems to wow most people. Because this really was good. Arakawa's writing is ...more
Liv
Dec 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015, fantasy, manga
Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 2, had all the right aspects that made me really like the first volume. However, I lost slight track of the events in the middle, things became a little hectic and hard to follow with the narrative jumping around a little with the introduction of new plots and lots of new characters.

Despite being slightly confused, I really enjoyed the storyline. This instalment turned a little darker, and had less of the fun, dry humour that was in the first instalment, which was a
নাজমুল হাসান
As expected the story turns into a darker tone. But still keeps its lighthearted elements alive. The 2 most important characters introduced in this volume in my opinion are General Armstrong who is both funny and strong and the Alchemy hating Alchemist Scar, who is on a mission to kill all the National Alchemists for some unknown reason. After a battle with Scar, Edward and Alphonso goes on a journey to renew their search for Philosopher's stone and get back their original body. More mysteries ...more
King Haddock
I suppose I discussed a lot of Scar's religious aspects in my review of Volume 1, no mind that we first meet Scar here. Thus, I will continue onto the creepy chimera-making whatnot.

I definitely flinch about what happened. But good authors make us flinch, so no mind that the concept made me uncomfortable, I applaud Hiromu Arakawa for writing a potent scene. I really hope we meet no more chimera alchemists though... oh please no.

I feel like the next volume is where things will really get
Christopher
Dec 14, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: steam-fantasy, manga
Okay, book two completely won me over, mainly by the breadth of characterization that slipped in so quickly. The story of the alchemist who, out of desperation, transmutes his daughter and dog into a chimera, was as gut-wrenching as any good short-story. Alphonse and Edward, in the meantime, grow in depth and complexity, settling into the perfect balance between arrogant and tortured that hints at melodrama but is still believably human.
Roxana Chirilă
Sep 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
The second volume is darker than the first, and we're moving more into the story proper.

I keep noticing all sorts of little details which I'd probably ignore if I didn't know the story already - I love this, the little picture of Armstrong in Mustang's pile of documents when he looks for Shou Tucker, Bradley's darkened image in a panel about the war. That's pretty cool.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Please link these books editions 3 14 Oct 22, 2019 09:41AM

• Death Note, Vol. 4: Love (Death Note, #4)
  • Death Note, Vol. 2: Confluence (Death Note, #2)
  • Death Note, Vol. 3: Hard Run (Death Note, #3)
  • D.Gray-man, Vol. 1 (D.Gray-man, #1)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist: Under the Faraway Sky (Fullmetal Alchemist, #4)
  • Black Butler, Vol. 2 (Black Butler, #2)
  • Death Note, Vol. 1: Boredom (Death Note, #1)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist: To Each His Own Bonds (Fullmetal Alchemist, #5)
  • 僕のヒーローアカデミア 2 [Boku No Hero Academia 2] (My Hero Academia, #2)
  • Naruto, Vol. 02: The Worst Client (Naruto, #2)
  • Attack on Titan, Vol. 2 (Attack on Titan, #2)
  • Naruto, Vol. 06: Predator (Naruto, #6)
  • Attack on Titan, Vol. 3 (Attack on Titan, #3)
  • Death Note, Vol. 5: Whiteout (Death Note, #5)
  • One Piece, Volume 2: Buggy the Clown
  • 僕のヒーローアカデミア 3 [Boku No Hero Academia 3] (My Hero Academia, #3)
  • 僕のヒーローアカデミア 1 [Boku No Hero Academia 1] (My Hero Academia, #1)
  • 僕のヒーローアカデミア 4 [Boku No Hero Academia 4] (My Hero Academia, #4)

Associated names :
荒川弘美 (real name)
ARAKAWA Hiromi

Name (in native language) : 荒川弘

Zodiac : Taurus

Blood type : A

Her self-portrait is usually that of a bespectacled cow, as she was born and raised on a dairy farm in Hokkaido with three older sisters and a younger brother. She worked as a farmer for 8 years before moving to Tokyo.

Arakawa thought about being a manga artist "since [she] was little" and

Fullmetal Alchemist (1 - 10 of 27 books)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 1 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #1)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 3 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #3)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 4 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #4)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 5 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #5)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 6 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #6)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 7 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #7)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 8 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #8)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 9 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #9)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 10
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 11 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #11)
“Riza: Without his Alchemy he's just...
Jean: A little brat who swears a lot
Maes: An arrogant pipsqueak
Roy: Useless. Just useless
Alphonse: Sorry big brother, I don't know how to add to that...
Ed *starts to cry*: YOU'RE ALL PICKING ON ME!!!”
136 likes
“Hughes: (Talking for Mustang) 'I won't allow you to die under my jurisdiction because it'd be a pain to clean up the mess.' That's what he said.

Edward: Fine. Tell him, 'Understood. I'll never die before you, colonel, you @#'$ idiot.'

Hughes: Ha ha ha! They say the ruder you are, the luckier you are! In that case, you and Roy are gonna live forever!”
97 likes