Start by marking “Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 2 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #2)” as Want to Read:
Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 2 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #2)

Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 2

(Fullmetal Alchemist #2)

In an alchemical ritual gone wrong, Edward Elric lost his arm and his leg, and his brother Alphonse became nothing but a soul in a suit of armor. Equipped with mechanical "auto-mail" limbs, Edward becomes a state alchemist, seeking the one thing that can restore his brother and himself... the legendary Philosopher's Stone.

There are many types of alchemy in the world. Edwar
Published July 5th 2005 by VIZ Media LLC (first published May 20th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 2

Start your review of Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 2 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #2)
ALet
Jul 22, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2020
2020 The Reading Rush day 3: Read a book completely outside of your house.
Jen/The Tolkien Gal/ジェニファー
Buddy read adventures with Bhavik AKA Roy Mustang

Haha. I just realised which volume this is.

Oh no.

Image result for nina FMA gif

Chapter 5: The Alchemist's Suffering" (錬金術師の苦悩 Renkinjutsushi no Kunō
Mega spoilers for those who haven’t seen FMA or FMAB/ read the manga
First: in all honesty, the original FMA made this a hell of a lot sadder.

I absolutely love the relationship between Ed and Mustang. Their dynamic makes me happy.

In this volume, Roy owes Ed for apprehending some baddies. And so, Roy introduces them to Nina and Tuc
Lily
Well, ouch. I picked this up looking for an fun, action-y read in the style of volume 1. I did not expect it to perforate my heart quite so quickly, or to haunt me for so long afterwards. The story still has its cute and slapstick moments, but their ephemerality is painfully evident. There's now little doubt that the stakes are high, and that the unthinkable is actually very thinkable for certain people. The early part of the story is so chilling that it kinda overshadowed everything that came a ...more
Alexandra Elend Wolf
How I'm loving the little details that the manga has! I'm having so much fun with all of them.

Really, this is just too god.

RTC.
________________

I swear, I'm way too obsessed with this manga. I haven't been able to think about anything else for days, even though I really tried to start another book that I really wanted to read, and I don't think it's going away any time soon.

So, as the responsible person I am, I decided to just feed that obsession until it's sated and I can go on with my life.
Grace, Queen of Crows and Tomes
Second volume is better than the first one!!! We get to see more emotion from Edward and we also get to see the strong bond between the Elric brothers. I really love these two boys so much and I just want them to be happy!!! Definitely reading the next one soon!
Kogiopsis
Mar 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
At the end of every volume of FMA is a very small panel depicting all the characters who died with halos over their heads and wings on their backs, ascending to Heaven.

It's worth noting that Shou Tucker is shown wallowing in Hell. Even Father gets to go to Heaven, but Tucker goes to Hell. That makes me bizarrely happy, because I hate Tucker more than I hate any other character in the series, bar none - not Pride, though he creeps me out; not Envy, even after all he's done; not even Kimblee, who'
Jedi JC Daquis
Feb 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
While the first volume establishes the essentials in Fullmetal Alchemist, volume two expands this industrial-mechanical world as it introduces evem new characters and storylines.

Volume 2 also does not veer away from elements which are pretty much hard to stomach, alchemy and political issues that display the dark side of this world. Kudos to Arakawa for being bold im writing these darmer elements.

But FA is not Attack of Titan. It may be heavy on certain scenes, but the humor and the deliberate g
Olivia
Nov 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was wildly entertaining and a particular moment had me *shook* with me immediately thinking "yeah... probably a 5 star read." ...more
Nərmin
Woow! The coolness of this volume was impressive! I loved how it can be both funny and dark...Really liked Elric brothers))
Lilah
Feb 08, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: other-manga
"This is because humams are so very simple. Bloodshed begets bloodshed, hatred begets hatred... No matter how many times they repeat it, they're unable to learn from it. Humans are such stupid and sad creatures."

I consider the day over only after I've had at least a couple of good existential quotes to contemplate 🧐

Chapter 5 destroyed my heart, I wasn't ready for it 😢😭
Becky
Feb 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Hawkeye is my favourite and I wish there were more girls.
Ewelina
Jul 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
I :) am :) perfectly :) fine. :)))
Caroline
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
ANOTHER great volume! I loved learning more about our two main characters as we get deeper into the story. I haven't watched the anime so all of this is new and exciting for me and I AM LOVING IT.

Meeting new characters was a lot of fun, especially Roy Mustang because I've heard a lot about him. It was really cool as well to meet a villain character and see some awesome fight sequences. Scar seems like he'll be a really interesting antagonist. The art style is still great and I found fights easy
Mac (bookshelfpalace)
This was good!! I’m exited to get more into the series!
Juho Pohjalainen
May 22, 2019 rated it liked it
After the slow-paced and mellow first volume, volume two kicks into high gear almost right outside the gate. The main storyline triggers properly and breaks an arm. In the span of a few pages the pace goes from zero to hundred... which is a bit of a problem, really. I think it could have used another whole volume at least, maybe two, of short single-chapter stories, to establish the characters and the setting and give us some time to breathe and get our bearings before bringing out the big guns. ...more
Alex
Aug 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This volume really starts to kick everything off.

I read the Fullmetal edition of volume one which had the first two chapters in so only chapter 7 and 8 were new to me this time.

Chapter 5 and 6 were my favourites of the last edition I read though. The story of Nina will always he haunting. It's heartbreaking and creepy! It really exhibits how dark this series goes at times.

Chapter 6 and 7 go hand in hand as we're introduced to Scar and the war with Ishbal. It sets up the tense political situatio
Rod Brown
Jan 21, 2021 rated it liked it
Even as the world of Fullmetal Alchemist is shown to be increasingly dark down to its roots -- religious conflicts, civil war, genocide, martial law, human experimentation, religious extremist serial killers -- Arakawa brings more humor to the character interaction. It's a battle manga with a quest for the Philosopher's Stone at its center, but I'm hoping the characters will become more human as the story progresses. It's on the right track at the moment. ...more
Oliver Smith
Apr 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
wonder how Arakawa feels about religion...
Radwa
Jun 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga, e-books
So I can see a lot of religious details, such as introducing three of the seven deadly sins (lust, gluttony, envy) as demons? at this point, I don't know what they really are, but they're there. Scar's whole story and religious view are interesting. Using Alchemy to destroy Alchemists in the name of (religion?).

I'm enjoying the tasks Edward and Al go through, and despite not being able to keep up with all the alchemists introduced in this volume, I love their variety. We also need more female ch
Maija
Dec 18, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, comics-manga
The Shou Tucker storyline is still one of the creepiest things I've ever read/watched.

The bigger plot gets started in this one. Still good, but a lot of characters are introduced that we'll only learn more about later, leaving them a bit flimsy for now.
Sylwia
Jun 04, 2018 rated it liked it
I'm impressed by the way the authors begins this story in general, how we're dropped into the middle of it and we learn without info-dumps. I'm also impressed by how the creator thinks outside of the box in terms of world-building and characterization. Some of the parts that I think are supposed to hit hard I thought were mundane, but I'm committed to this series for now. ...more
TheWombleBeast
Feb 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was waaaay better than the first. We had one continuous storyline, more information about the characters, plus new characters!
karla. (exodusqueen)
Oct 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
I don’t even have a body that can feel the rain. It’s lonely inside here... It’s hard.

ponerme emocional cuando ed y al pelean es mi pasión.
Julie (Manga Maniac Cafe)
Jan 08, 2017 rated it really liked it

As Edward and Al continue their quest to get their original bodies back, they encounter danger, and see how far a desperate alchemist will go to keep his license.

This volume broadens the examination of the dark side of alchemy and the theory of equivalent exchange. What is the life of young girl worth, when her father has run out of options in his research? When he does the unthinkable, Edward realizes how close to the edge of darkness he came during his efforts to perform forbidden al
daisy
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
Re-read these first three volumes so I can continue on with the manga!! Enjoyed it just as much as the first time - I adore the cast and the art style and everything about this series!
Jessie_Book
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Damn I forgot how dark this manga is. I will forever be scarred by one of the chapters in this book. Ya'll know which one. ...more
Andi
Sep 02, 2019 added it
i love this
⋆  yel  ⋆
May 28, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020-reads, manga
3.5 of 5 stars
Andrew
Big time fun. And surprising depth. I’m enjoying this more than I thought I would. Glad I finally came around.
Kaelene
Dec 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Lieutenant Hawkeye is my favorite. XD
Goodreads Librari...: Please link these books editions 3 15 Oct 22, 2019 09:41AM

• Death Note, Vol. 2: Confluence (Death Note, #2)
  • Attack on Titan, Vol. 3 (Attack on Titan, #3)
  • Death Note, Vol. 3: Hard Run (Death Note, #3)
  • Death Note, Vol. 4: Love (Death Note, #4)
  • Attack on Titan, Vol. 2 (Attack on Titan, #2)
  • 東京喰種トーキョーグール 2 (Tokyo Ghoul, #2)
  • Death Note, Vol. 1: Boredom (Death Note, #1)
  • Naruto, Vol. 05: The Challengers (Naruto, #5)
  • Death Note, Vol. 7: Zero (Death Note, #7)
  • Death Note, Vol. 5: Whiteout (Death Note, #5)
  • Naruto, Vol. 02: The Worst Client (Naruto, #2)
  • Black Butler, Vol. 2 (Black Butler, #2)
  • Naruto, Vol. 04: Hero’s Bridge (Naruto, #4)
  • Attack on Titan, Vol. 6 (Attack on Titan, #6)
  • Attack on Titan, Vol. 4 (Attack on Titan, #4)
  • NARUTO -ナルト- 巻ノ四十三
  • Dragon Ball, Vol. 1: The Monkey King (Dragon Ball, #1)
  • ワンパンマン 2 [Wanpanman 2] (Onepunch-Man, #2)
Hiromu Arakawa (author: 荒川弘) is a Japanese manga artist, best known for Fullmetal Alchemist (鋼の錬金術師 Hagane no renkinjutsushi).
Her real name is Hiromi Arakawa (荒川弘美).

Arakawa was born and raised on a dairy farm in Hokkaidō.
She thought of being a manga artist since she was little. After graduating high school, she took oil painting classes while working on her family's farm. During that time, she als

Fullmetal Alchemist (1 - 10 of 27 books)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 1 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #1)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 3 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #3)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 4 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #4)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 5 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #5)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 6 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #6)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 7 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #7)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 8 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #8)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 9 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #9)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 10 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #10)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 11 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #11)

News & Interviews

“Riza: Without his Alchemy he's just...
Jean: A little brat who swears a lot
Maes: An arrogant pipsqueak
Roy: Useless. Just useless
Alphonse: Sorry big brother, I don't know how to add to that...
Ed *starts to cry*: YOU'RE ALL PICKING ON ME!!!”
135 likes
“Hughes: (Talking for Mustang) 'I won't allow you to die under my jurisdiction because it'd be a pain to clean up the mess.' That's what he said.

Edward: Fine. Tell him, 'Understood. I'll never die before you, colonel, you @#'$ idiot.'

Hughes: Ha ha ha! They say the ruder you are, the luckier you are! In that case, you and Roy are gonna live forever!”
97 likes