Start by marking “The Tin Princess (Sally Lockhart, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Tin Princess (Sally Lockhart, #4)

The Tin Princess

(Sally Lockhart #4)

Sally Lockhart's friend and partner-in-adventure Jim Taylor has just solved a mystery. For years he's been searching for Adelaide, the little girl enslaved by toothless crone Mrs Holland in The Ruby in the Smoke. And now he's found her - just as she's about to become a princess. Crown Princess of Razkavia, to be exact, and a princess in danger. Her future husband is desper ...more
Published 2004 by Scholastic (first published March 15th 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The Tin Princess, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tin Princess

The Name of the Rose by Umberto EcoThe Alienist by Caleb CarrThe Historian by Elizabeth KostovaThe Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz ZafónMistress of the Art of Death by Ariana Franklin
Best Historical Mystery
1,595 books — 3,882 voters
Once Upon Another Time by Rosary  McQuestionLife is a Circus Run by a Platypus by Allison HawnAfter Forever Ends by Melodie RamoneVampire Princess Rising by Jami BrumfieldSpare Change by Bette Lee Crosby
Best Unknown Books
2,290 books — 1,897 voters

More lists with this book...

Catherine
Nov 16, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Possibly my favourite of all the Sally Lockhart books, which is funny since she personally is barely in this one, lol.

I really loved the whole Razkavia set-up, having most of it through young Becky's eyes, and having Jim play such a huge role in it this time round (I think I missed Jim more than I realised throughout most of Tiger in the Well, heh)

I loved how the plot kept you guessing right until the end. And there was hardly a dull moment. Even the ending didn't just sort of fizzle out. It be
Peter
Dec 11, 2012 rated it liked it
For me The Tin Princess was not as successful as the other books in the Sally Lockhart quartet, probably because it is neither about Sally Lockhart or Victorian London, both of which are the thing that interested me about this YA series in the first place.

Some spoilers...

Instead the plot is about Razkavia a made up Germanic state in middle Europe. Where members of the royal family are being bumped off. Our heroes Jim and Becky fall into this world of royal-intrigue, by way of Adelaide, the litt
Xime García
Tin trains, tin ships going down the whirlpool - you know what I am, Becky? I'm a tin princess. Like chess: I come all the way across the board and turned into a queen. Still only tin, though... Want a game of chess?

Un libro muy dulce que me cautivó con su ambiente del 1800, sus personajes carismáticos, el cambio gradual y notorio en la protagonista, y una intérprete de 16 años con ganas de comerse el mundo. No fue tanto por las intrigas políticas que te adelantan en la sinopsis, sino por cómo
Frith
Nov 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Lost count of how many times I've read this, but I haven't added it to GR before. I absolutely love this book. It's so vivid, and tragic, and the two girls at the centre are wonderful. This is an absolute comfort read for me.
The Book Queen
Mar 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
I haven't read the Tiger in the Well, so I have some mild spoilers for it, but this is brilliant! I absolutely love this style of Ruritanian fantasy/Gothic crime novel thing and I think this might be my favourite out of the three I've read.
Mary-Jean Harris
May 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
As usual, Philip Pullman has written another fabulous story! It was very exciting and I just loved the characters, especially Jim and Adelaide. It was great how we returned to Adelaide, since we've had such a long time to wonder what on earth happened to her. And it was so fun that Jim was one of the main characters. He really needs his own series, actually :)
Now, the story was different from the others in that there was a large element that wasn't historical. The story is based on a fictional c
Rebecca Matthies
Sep 27, 2012 rated it liked it
Ian
Jan 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: re-read
Goodreads needs a "re-read" shelf for books like this one. It was as fun the second time as the first. This is one of my favorite Pullman books, right up there with the Dark Materials trilogy, though not as intense. You don't need to know anything about the Sally Lockhart books to read this one because it's a complete side story.
Devanshi Gupta
Jun 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adventures
Why are Philip Pullman's endings always so sad...
Loved the book, though not his best. It certainly raked up the emotions inside me.
Molly Ringle
Feb 11, 2018 rated it liked it
I hadn't read anything else in the Sally Lockhart series, which likely affected the degree to which I knew what was going on, though Pullman is such a good storyteller that I went along with it contentedly anyway. And hey, I always like a made-up tiny country with royalty and stuff.
Chloe
Jan 10, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a disappointing end to a quartet. This book starts off with such promise, and the plot and the writing style are brilliant (it's Philip Pullman, so of course they are), but there were a few things that marred my complete enjoyment of this story.

Firstly, there is the relationship between the three main characters, Jim, Adelaide, and Becky: what would have worked best as an amiable trio a la Harry Potter is instead portrayed as a couple and the third wheel. Where I should have felt sympathet
Megan Baxter
Aug 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Despite how quickly I devoured the three first Sally Lockhart books, I took my time getting around the the fourth because, well, it's not about Sally. She only appears in the book very briefly. I shouldn't have waited so long.

The Tin Princess is a fast-paced, engrossing Victorian pulp, told with the keen eye for imperial politics and business that Pullman has brought to all the books in this series. Although I didn't remember Adelaide very well from the first time I met her, I quickly grew very
Katie
Dec 09, 2009 rated it liked it
Eva
Aug 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: not-bad
Story
The story wasn't altogether what I expected it to be. There was a lot more politics involved, and the main characters felt sort of...detached from the writing, somehow. Don't get me wrong, it was a good book, and I think the author carried it out well, it was just lacking something. It was interesting most of the time, but it did get pretty boring in certain parts, and every-once-in-a-while I forgot what was happening just because there was so much going on. I also wasn't too keen on the ra
Jules
Apr 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read
Grace
Oct 31, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is almost a standalone in the Lockheart series -- it's certainly the one that's easiest to pick up and reread quickly, and that's because it doesn't really dive into Sally Lockheart's life. This one's all about Jim Taylor.

I love Jim unabashedly. He's cheeky and clever and quick, with a strong sense of right and wrong. It's great to see him in the centre of his own story, as I always wanted more of him in Sally's books. Now that he's grown up a bit and is finally the ringleader of his own in
Ellen
This is a sort-of sequel to The Ruby in the Smoke et al., and okay, it's kind of a cheesy sequel. But oh, the characters! Seeing Jim and Adelaide all grown up, and Sally as a matron, is fun without being corny; and Becky and the new minor characters are wonderful enough that you can mostly ignore the rags-to-riches-to-royalty story the book is ostensibly about.

I think of it as really extremely good self-fanfiction. If you enjoyed the three books in the series proper, and can keep that descriptio
Althea Ann
Jun 09, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"The Tin Princess" features characters from the other books in this series (Sally Lockhart), but is only a slightly-connected story. It's the somewhat-familiar story of an English girl, Adelaide, of no breeding but innate intelligence and wit, who marries the exotic prince of a small European country. Seeking a job, the young Becky Winter is hired to be Adelaide's tutor, and soon finds herself helping Adelaide negotiate a maze of dangerous politics and social situations, and he unexpectedly beco ...more
Ellie Matthews
All the Sally Lockhart books are great, starring a heroine who can shoot a pistol, solve a mystery, and is written by Phillip Pullman in a Victorian London full of opium addicts, smog and murders. Actually Sally isn't in this book very much as it is mainly the story of her friend Jim and the little urchin Adalaide from previous books, now married to the crown prince of a small European country.
Kirsty
i love this one - brilliant historical setting and nice sally lockhart spin off
Tortla
May 29, 2007 rated it it was ok
I don't care enough about politics enough to have actually understood the conclusion of this...
Celia Buell
First of all, I want to clear something up: this is not a Sally Lockhart book. While Sally is a side character, and it references past adventures, Sally is little more than referenced in passing. She's there at the very beginning and the very end of the book, but she's not by any means a significant character in The Tin Princess.

Now, I will get to my actual review of The Tin Princess itself.

I wasn't prepared to love The Tin Princess. Somehow, I expected it to be either a medieval or a fake Midd
Romanticamente Fantasy
Ultimo capitolo delle avventure di Sally Lockhart che va considerato uno spin-off: infatti la protagonista è Adelaide, ragazzina sfortunata rapita nel Rubino di Fumo e mai più ritrovata, della quale è da sempre innamorato Jim, scrittore da strapazzo, investigatore astuto e braccio destro di Sally; quest’ultima rimarrà più defilata nella storia e farà la sua apparizione solo all’inizio e nel finale della vicenda.

Una trama avvincente e piena di colpi di scena terrà con il fiato sospeso fino all’ul
Lucie B.
Katie Bee
Sep 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-books-read
A rollicking old-fashioned melodrama, which takes some of the characters from the earlier Sally Lockhart books (Jim Taylor and little Adelaide) and transfers them to a little made-up country in Central Europe. There they battle evil plots and international intrigue and poisonings and murder and true love, all in an attempt to save a kingdom.

Lots of people die in this, including people the reader has come to care about (and a kitten). And in some ways the plot is quite predictable; I could have
Jocelyn
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All the books in this series are chock full of action, exciting adventure, mysterious plots, fascinating historical details and wonderful characters and Anton Lesser as the narrator is absolutely suburb. He can do any accent it seems; men and women, Cockney guttersnipes, Irish ruffians, a Scottish magician, a Hungarian politician, Eastern Europeans.

I liked this book the best because the primary point of view is a new character named Becky and she is brave and kind and clever and she is the nati
Spuddie
I confess I did not enjoy this last entry in the Sally Lockhart series as well as the others. For one thing, Sally herself barely makes an appearance at all. The main character in this one is Becky Winter, a young woman who, after being hired as a German tutor to a young woman, is swept up in a whirlwind of international intrigue and plots after only a day on the job.

Jim Taylor, one of Sally's associates, is the other main character of the story. This book was just a little over the top for me,
Molly
Feb 24, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The ageless tale of "My Fair Lady" recounted from the perspective of a minor European principality, intrigue and suspense notwithstanding, the tutor/translator becomes the professor making a princess out of a harlot. The fact that the Princess actually has the ability and the inherent nobility to rule adds to the richness of the story. Good triumphs over evil (good over bad/light over dark) but night wins out in the end. For the want of a tin mine, the kingdom is lost and the princess flees in t ...more
Ellie
Dec 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
I read all 4 books in the Sally Lockhart series, although I already knew the stories of the first two from the BBC TV series a few years back. In fact they were the best of the lot.
Book 3, The Tiger in the Well, only features Sally, all other characters were conveniently "away" right when she needed help the most. She's being sued by a man she's never met, claiming his right to everything she owns as he's her husband. And he has the documents to prove it. Incredibly far fetched, and I guessed w
Judith
This was not the best story as I must confess, I missed Sally being in it. The series has always included Sally but this time centers more around Jim and Adelaide who has reappeared 10 years after mysteriously disappearing in the first book. An interesting (but tragic) plot that doesn't take place in Victorian England. A bit of a hazy ending that rather ends up in the air...for the last book in the series.
  • Dido and Pa (The Wolves Chronicles, #7)
  • All Fall Down
  • Jacob's Ladder
  • Queen of Ambition (Ursula Blanchard, #5)
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Montmorency: Thief, Liar, Gentleman? (Montmorency, #1)
  • Deadlock (Darcie Lock, #3)
  • The Starthorn Tree
  • Dark Parallel (The Joshua Files, #4)
  • My Name is Number 4
  • Empire of Ruins (The Hunchback Assignments, #3)
  • The Assassins of Rome (Roman Mysteries, #4)
  • Out of the Hitler Time
  • The Princetta
  • We Didn't Mean to Go to Sea (Swallows and Amazons, #7)
  • Flambards in Summer (Flambards, #3)
In 1946, acclaimed author Philip Pullman was born in Norwich, England, into a Protestant family. Although his beloved grandfather was an Anglican priest, Pullman became an atheist in his teenage years. He graduated from Exeter College in Oxford with a degree in English, and spent 23 years as a teacher while working on publishing 13 books and numerous short stories. Pullman has received many awards ...more

Sally Lockhart (4 books)
  • The Ruby in the Smoke (Sally Lockhart, #1)
  • The Shadow in the North (Sally Lockhart, #2)
  • The Tiger in the Well (Sally Lockhart, #3)
“She longed for cutlasses, pistols, and brandy; she had to make do with coffee, and pencils, and verbs.” 5 likes
“You're a bloodthirsty character, aren't you?"
"I don't know," she said honestly. "I've never had the chance to find out. I'm pretty sure I would fight if I had to, though. I wouldn't give in, or flinch and cry and faint. People don't think girls are brave, but I'd love the chance to try... just once, perhaps; just once, so I could know what it was like to risk my life and fight to the death. It's not that I want to kill people, it's that I want to find out about me. I'll never completely know about myself unless I try.”
4 likes