Start by marking “Cat Secrets” as Want to Read:
Cat Secrets

Cat Secrets

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  2,294 Ratings  ·  262 Reviews
I'm sorry—this book is not for you. This book is for CATS ONLY.

What's that you say?

You are a cat?

Okay . . . get ready to prove it!
Published January 4th 2011 by Balzer + Bray (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Cat Secrets, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cat Secrets

Scope
Feb 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011
On a purely technical level every book engages the reader, right? The act of reading or listening demands at least a small amount of participation. Then you run into a book like Cat Secrets, which shows the heights to which engaging can go, as it pulls kids into its participatory tractor beam. Confidently stepping into territory Mo Willems has been dominating in recent years, Cat Secrets takes a wrecking ball to the fourth wall and speaks directly to its audience. An audience that will be quite ...more
Heidi-Marie
Not bad. I enjoyed the humor. Would not work well in a storytime as there are too many smaller actions for the children to pick up on. Then again, a very small storytime might work. I'd really want to try it, since it would be fun having the kids do the cat actions. But like me, it might take them a few pages before they pick up on the mouse's actions--and a large group would have a much smaller chance to see them. A lap-read would be extremely fun. A read-alone wouldn't be so bad as long as the ...more
Woody Chichester
Feb 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read this despite the many warnings that this book was only for cats, and now I know all the cat secrets. I do wish they'd elaborated about cat naps a bit more, so thats still a mystery, but I'm now better at meowing.
Lorna
Mar 07, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: kid-lit
Cute. Would be great for storytime participation as long as little ones are okay with not finding out any cat secrets. My 12-year-old was disappointed. :)
Tasha
Apr 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This book is for cats only, so if you want to read it you will have to prove that you are, in fact, a cat. The cats in the book are hard to deceive. If you keep turning the pages, they will be on to the fact that you are not a cat at all. They will test you. You will have to meow. You will have to purr. Can you stretch like a cat too? And then the final test. Can you nap like a cat? This is a book that happily breaks down the fourth wall, celebrating silliness through a very interactive story li ...more
Edward Sullivan
Feb 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Love these cats! MEOW!
Dolly
Oct 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2012, childrens, humor, pets
This is a humorous and silly tale about cats who are about to discuss cat secrets, but have to confirm that those reading the book are indeed cats. The story speaks to the reader and encourages the audience to meow and stretch and act like a cat. The illustrations are fairly simple, but we loved the mischievous mouse who attempts again and again to get the book of secrets.

Overall, it's an entertaining book that would be great for a group or for a parent and child. The story is perfect for a 2-5
Megan
Oct 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All kids
Recommended to Megan by: Children's Book of Month Club
Three cats have in their possession a locked copy of the book, "Cat Secrets." It ends up that they can ONLY share it with cats, and since YOU dear reader, are reading their book, you must now prove that you are a genuine cat.
In our family, we love the way the cats have broken through the fourth wall and talk directly to the reader. Everyone in our family loves this book, from the 44-year-olds down the 4-year-olds. The cats are definitely funny, but make sure you don't miss the more subtle antic
LauraW
Oct 15, 2016 rated it liked it
I suppose it is foolish for me to find this book a bit disappointing, because I didn't find out any Cat Secrets, after all I did to convince those cats that I was one.

This books is cute, but it really isn't a "read over and over until it falls apart" book. As a jumping off place for creative thinking, it might work. As a go to sleep book, it might work. Enjoyable.
Karen
Nov 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015, picture-book
My favorite participation read-aloud for cat-lovers, readers must prove they are cats to learn cat secrets. I'll never tell. You'll just need to read it for yourself. Looking forward to the sequel to be published in 2016 called Dog Rules.
Krystal
May 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
We all know cats have secrets. But this book is silly. They don't keep them in a book. They whisper them into your ear while you sleep, and then gauge your reaction when you wake up. Moral: You're always a disappointment.
Nov 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Road tested on the 6th graders and the 7th graders in galley. They loved it, especially the interactive meowing.
Colleen
Jul 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Just convince the cats you are a cat and you would read the whole book. It is a very funny book that anyone will enjoy.
Susan
Jan 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Though there's not much to this book, I can see preschoolers giggling over it at storytime.
Susan Dove Lempke
Oct 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
Pretty funny a la Pigeon books, perfect for reading to groups.
Maggie
Cat Secrets is a cute picture book that really engages the reader. It reminded me of The Monster at the End of this Book with the way the narrator speaks directly to the reader. The cats in the book want to prove that the reader is actually a cat, so they test readers by asking them to act like a cat, making this book fun for storytime. Keep an eye on the mouse--he's cute!
Anna
Jun 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
I would have loved this book, but the ending caught me by surprise. I wanted to know the cat secrets! Nevertheless, I really enjoyed it and would love to read this to a group of preschoolers. I feel like children would really enjoy this book and find it really funny. I found it really funny and I'm an adult, but I feel like children would enjoy it even more! The dialogue is fantastic and the illustrations are great.

I highly recommend reading this out loud to any child.
Ina
May 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A trio of boldly illustrated cats want to share their book of Cat Secrets and put the reader through a series of tests - since the book can only be shared with cats. The reader must meow and purr and stretch...all while a mouse is trying to steal the book. Simple text, bright illustrations and plenty of interaction will have a Storytime audience laughing out loud.
Cheryl
Nov 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Hm. Not quite what I expected, and I guess I'm kinda burnt out on Meta picture-books. If I'd read it a couple of years ago I might have given it four stars. But now, well, imo the best part was the mouse. And, I guess, the end. Otoh, I do wish there was a way for me to see it used at story time.
Ms. Shoshana
Feb 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: cats, humor, preschool
Good for a preschool audience that likes a little silliness.

I found it hard to get the timing perfect - there are just two many pages where the kids are supposed to meow and purr. I didn't want to turn the pages too quickly because I wanted everyone to see, but they just didn't meow and purr long enough so it felt a little awkward congratulating them on their cat noises.
Kelly
Oct 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The cats are about to share their secrets with the reader, but they first need to be sure the readers are cats! This is an entirely interactive book between the characters in the book and the reader, with bold illustrations and nice mild humor.
Nov 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Perfect for a cat themed story time - fun pictures and engaging actions for the kids to participate. The mouse is awfully fun, too! I didn't notice him the first time through so be sure to pay attention! :)
Jess
May 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: z_17, picture-books
Second grader at work recommended this to me. She was right! It is fun and it would make a good interactive readaloud.
Holly
Jun 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Cute story. Would be great for storytime having all the kids trying to act like a cat.
mary dewley
Jul 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Only cats allowed! Perfect interactive book for story time! Very short and sure to engage smaller children.
J.
Jul 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Good storytime read with actions for cat themed storytime.
Heather-McC
Feb 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Get ready for an interactive test to see if you too can make it as a cat (or at least pass as one). Be on the lookout for the stray mouse trying to steal the cat secrets.
Lucy
Sep 18, 2017 rated it it was ok
A little too meta for my kid. Perhaps when he is older.
Anna
Jun 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Funny and engaging for kids with many elements of audience participation.
  • Is Everyone Ready for Fun?
  • Square Cat
  • Where's Walrus?
  • A Pet for Petunia
  • Perfect Square
  • It's a Tiger!
  • Hooray for Amanda & Her Alligator!
  • A Pig Parade Is a Terrible Idea
  • Zorro Gets an Outfit
  • Prudence Wants a Pet
  • Do You Know Which Ones Will Grow?
  • Rrralph
Jef Czekaj is a cartoonist, children's book author and illustrator, and musician.

He has illustrated 4 books, and written and illustrated 6 picture books and one graphic novel. His books, Hip and Hop, Don't Stop! , Cat Secrets , The Circulatory Story , and Yes, Yes, Yaul!, were all chosen as Junior Library Guild selections. Cat Secrets was a finalist in GoodReads Best Books of 2011 and A Call
More about Jef Czekaj