Start by marking “Memórias Póstumas de Brás Cubas” as Want to Read:
Memórias Póstumas de Brás Cubas

Memórias Póstumas de Brás Cubas

4.23  ·  Rating details ·  12,471 Ratings  ·  504 Reviews
A publicação de 'Memórias Póstumas de Brás Cubas' não só inaugura o Realismo no Brasil, como inicia a etapa mais complexa da obra de Machado de Assis. Com ela, aprofunda-se a sua análise da realidade e refina-se a sua linguagem, sendo considerada a obra que prenuncia algumas técnicas da literatura moderna.
Published January 31st 2005 by Luso-Brazilian Books (first published 1880)

To ask other readers questions about Memórias Póstumas de Brás Cubas, please sign up.
George Rife The translation of my copy to English was copyrighted in 1952 by William Grossman. I thought it was excellent.

brian
Dec 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to brian by: karen
a sick chicken and the voluptuousness of misery

we read an author and wonder 'how is it possible that this genius is not known?'... yes, only a species as cretinous as ours could ignore machado. along with carpentier and mutis, he takes the top 'what the fuck' spot.

here are three reasons machado must be read, must not be forgotten:

1) as karen pointed out below: "18fucking80". yup. madman machado wrote a modernist masterpiece way back when. joyce and woolf? they don't have shit on machado. nothin
Ahmad Sharabiani
Memórias póstumas de Brás Cubas = The Posthumous Memoirs of Bras Cubas (Realistic trilogy #1), Joaquim Maria Machado de Assis
The Posthumous Memoirs of Bras Cubas (Portuguese: Memorias Posthumas de Braz Cubas), often subtitled as the Epitaph of a Small Winner, is a novel by the Brazilian writer Joaquim Maria Machado de Assis. Published in 1881, the novel has a unique style of short, erratic chapters shifting in tone and style. Instead of the clear and logical construction of a normal nineteenth-c
Mike Puma
Mar 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

“Do not mourn the dead. They know what they are doing.”
― Clarice Lispector, The Hour of the Star

With those lines, Lispector might have introduced this novel by her countryman. Told from the other side of the grave, we learn of the narrator’s small successes and small failures, ultimately balanced in the totality of things. Braz Cubas, the narrator, provides his autobiography, and his philosophy, with a gentle humor in a novel which anticipates the best of meta-fiction, breaking with a Romantic

Garima

... this book is written with apathy, with the apathy of a man now freed of the brevity of the century, a supinely philosophical work, of an unequal philosophy, now austere, now playful, something that neither builds nor destroys, neither inflames nor cools, and, yet, it is more than a pastime and less than an apostolate.

My Goodreads morning started on an emotional note today. I logged in and found a book recommendation by Ali, friendly comments from Dolors and Dustin, the surprised mention of m
Aubrey
The reader, like his fellows, doubtless prefers action to reflection, and doubtless he is wholly in the right. So we shall get to it. However, I must advise that this book is written leisurely, with the leisureliness of a man no longer troubled by the flight of time; that is a work supinely philosophical, but of a philosophy wanting in uniformity, now austere, now playful, a thing that neither edifies nor destroys, neither inflames nor chills, and that is at once more of a pastime and less than
نعیمه بخشی
May 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novel
امتیاز من: 3.4
«تقدیم به اولین کرمی که بر کالبدم افتاد.»
کتاب اینجوری شروع میشه. و شما با یه راوی بامزه و بسیار شوخطبع سروکار دارید که از قضا به تازگی مُرده. بیشتر از هر چیزی نوع پرداخت داستان و فرم اون خواننده رو تحت تاثیر قرار میده که اتفاقا سوزان سونتاگ هم در مقدمهای که براش نوشته بهش اشاره کرده. راوی شوخوشنگ این کتاب با متلکپرانی به ارسطو و یهسری فلاسفه دیگه خودش رو در مقام بالاتری قرار میده و اصلا هم برآورده کردن توقعات و انتظارات خواننده و یا منتقد رو وظیفه خودش نمیدونه؛

-«این نوشته اگر رضایت
Oziel Bispo
Jun 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
O defunto Braz Cubas conta toda sua vida desde o seu nascimento até a sua morte num estilo inovador e inédito até então. Conta seus amores frustados com Marcela e Virgília , conta sua tentativa de entrada na vida política e a sua procura de dar sentido na sua vida enveredando na filosofia falida de Quincas Borba.
Um ótimo livro que adorei reler!
Vit Babenco
Nov 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“I wrote it with a playful pen and melancholy ink and it isn’t hard to foresee what can come out of that marriage. I might add that serious people will find some semblance of a normal novel, while frivolous people won’t find their usual one here. There it stands, deprived of the esteem of the serious and the love of the frivolous, the two main pillars of opinion.”
Although The Posthumous Memoirs of Brás Cubas are written in a very frolicsome manner the book is abundant in precise and deep observa
Özgür
Jan 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Roman kahramanı Brás Cubas tüm yapıtı öldükten sonra oluşturmaya başlıyor ve her şey bundan sonra başlıyor. Başlarda inanılmaz anlatım gücüyle elimden bırakamamış olsam da sonraki süreçte anlatımın koptuğunu düşündüm. Yine de romanın kurgusu alışılmışın dışında bir grafiksel yapıya sahip. 3.5'dan 4 diyelim.
Hadrian
What is there between life and death? A short bridge. Nevertheless, if I hadn't put this chapter together the reader would have suffered a strong shock, quite harmful to the effect of the book. Jumping from a portrait to an epitaph can be a real and common act. The reader, however, is only taking refuge in the book to escape life. I'm not saying the thought is mine. I'm saying that there's a grain of truth in it and the form, at least, is picturesque. And, I repeat, it's not mine.

The Posthumous
MJ Nicholls
Nov 12, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to MJ by: Mike Puma
This recentish GR sensation (among my friends—the rest of GR can take a hike) failed to please me beyond the 166p point. There is something about those ponderous nice-guy narrators who ruminate on the quotidian in occasionally profound ways that seems to set GR aflame. My qualms with the book have been expressed by Nate and Jimmy—simply that once the original-for-1880 self-commenting aspect and short-chapter structure is out of the way, the story and its telling are quirky but banal. Another lov ...more
Maryam Hosseini
.کتاب در 160 فصل بسیار کوتاه نوشته شده و شیوه روایت آن بسیار گیراست
:واین نکته که نویسنده در متن داستان، خواننده را مخاطب قرار می دهد بسیار جالب است

. فکری که گفتم، بعد از کلی بندبازی محیرالعقول تبدیل به فکری سمج شد "
،خواننده ی عزیز ، خداوند تو را از شر هر جور فکر سمج حفظ کند
" خار به چشم آدم برود بهتر است ، تیر به چشم آدم برود بهتر است تا گرفتار فکر سمج بشود

نکته جالب دیگراینکه نویسنده دائما افکارواعمال خودش را قضاوت میکند و هدف ازآنها را نوضیح می دهدو توجیه می کند
.جدای از روایت خوب، ایده داستان آن
César Lasso
Sep 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hace tiempo leí la reseña que de este libro hizo una lectora. Decía que, a pesar de su originalidad aparente (la obra recoge las memorias escritas desde ultratumba por un difunto), no pasaba de un vulgar relato enmarcado en la corriente del Realismo. Estoy en desacuerdo con esa opinión. Tengo idea de que a Machado de Assis se le puede enmarcar en dicha corriente, pero no sin especificar que se trata de un representante muy original.

La idea de que un muerto escriba libros no era enteramente nueva
Tony
Jan 10, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Tony by: Mike Puma
Shelves: brazilian
How could I not want to read this?

First, there is the absolutely gorgeous jacket design, including this painting, Young Man with a Pen by Diego Rivera:

Second, Mike Puma recommended this. Mike is the go-to guy for Latin American literature.

And then, in an introduction (by Bras Cubas), the author announces that he has "adopted the free-form of a Sterne or a Xavier de Maistre" in the writing of these Memoirs.

Well, saddle me up and call me Tristram.

Machado de Assis has indeed captured Sterne, down t
Susana
Sep 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
(review in English below)

Depois do fabuloso Dom Casmurro, as expectativas eram altas, e não fiquei desiludida. Contudo, pareceu-me esta narrativa menos interessante e a escrita menos "fresca", o que lhe roubou uma estrela.

Algumas reflexões filosóficas tornaram-se um pouco "embrulhadas", ou então eu é que não consegui atingir o que o autor pretendia dizer... E confesso que não cheguei a compreender cabalmente o Humanitismo de Quincas Borba...

Não resisti a registar algumas passagens que achei mais
Bekhradaa
Jul 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: persian

ضربه ای با حوله، ماجرا را به آخر رساند. نه عظمت آسمان آبی، نه شور و شهد گلها، نه شوکت برگهای سبز هیچ کدام نتوانستند پروانه را از شر یک حوله کوچک که یک کف دست کتاب ارزان قیمت بود، حفظ کند. ببین برتر از پروانه بودن چه عالمی دارد! چون آن پروانه حتی اگر آبی بود، باز هم زندگی اش در امان نمی بود، شاید من چند تا سنجاق به پیکرش فرو می کردم و برای حظ بصر نگاه می داشتمش. اما پروانه آبی نبود. این فکر آخر باز مایه تسلای من شد

ناخن انگشت میانی را گذاشتم بالای شست و تلنگری به جسد پروانه زدم که پرت شد افتاد
Baymavi
Mar 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Selam sana Bras Cubas, sen öldün ama biz hala yaşıyoruz. Çocuk da var, sefalete devam! Sen zoru başardın, hayatı yaşadın. Biz şimdilik çabalıyoruz. Belki bir gün tak eder ve bu garipliğin dışına çıkarız ama biliyor musun bunun olacağını hiç zannetmiyorum.
Pesimizmin böyle eğlenceli anlatılmış halini hiç görmemiştim. Tebrik ederim. Julian Barnes diye bir adam var, bir yazar, sen tanımazsın, “Bir son duygusu" diye bir kitap yazdı, yapısal açıdan bakıldığında senin yazdıklarına benziyor, iyi bir kit
duyguslice
May 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mezarımdan Yazıyorum

Siz hiç öldükten sonra kendi hikayesini anlatan bir roman karakteriyle karşılaştınız mı? Bu kitapta anlatıcımız bir ölü. Ölü ama hala kendini arayan biri. Tabutundaki kurtlar malum işe başlamadan evvel karakterimiz, yargılanmasını istemediği hayatını biz okuyucusuna serme hevesine girişiyor. Metaforlarla ve renkli ironi tarifleriyle dolu Brás Cubas karakteri, bize seçkin sosyal sınıfı, aşk romantizmindeki parayı ve insanlığın geçtiği sınavları gösteriyor.

Müthiş bir eserdi. Okuyucuyla konuşan ve
K.D. Absolutely
Aug 03, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to K.D. by: 501 Must Read Books; 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die (2006-2010)
Strangely fascinating. I am no expert in literature and only started reading "serious" fiction works a couple of years back in my quest to read all those works included in 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die by Dr. Boxall.

Therefore, at first, I did not know how to react to this kind of literary work. Some say it is a novel but the author, the Brazilian Joaquim Maria Machado de Assis (1839-1908) says that is is a memoir. However, a memoir is supposed to be fiction. But how could this be ficti
Title: Memorias Postumas de Braz Cubas

Author: Machado de Assis

Release Date: June 2, 2017 [EBook #54829]

Language: Portuguese

Produced by Laura N.R. & Marc D'Hooghe at Free Literature (online soon in an extended version, also linking to free sources for education worldwide ... MOOC's, educational materials,...)

Free download available at Project Gutenberg.

I made the proofing of this book for Free Literature and it will be published by Project Gutenberg.

Original files are provided by Biblioteca N
Alex
Nov 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, rth-lifetime
Every season of life is an edition that corrects the one before and which will also be corrected itself until the definitive edition, which the publisher gives to the worms gratis.
This really speaks to me. because I've gone through like twenty editions of myself - not because of demand, just that previous ones were like riddled with typos.

I've read de Assis before, and it's great to revisit his weird, modern style. Writing in the late 1800s, De Assis is the Pushkin of Brazil - the father of thei
Hesam Ghaeminejad
Jun 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ساده، لذت بخش و همچنان تازه
Nasim Dehghan
+++ اگر نامه های جوانی ت را نگه نداری، هیچ وقت لذت تماشای خودت را در دوردست و در روشنایی ایی که محض خوشامد تو بی رمق شده، نخواهی چشید، آری تماشای خودت که با کلاهی سه گوش و سبیلی تاب داده شلنگ تخته می اندازی و با نوای نی آناکروئون_شاعر یونانی_ می رقصی.
یعنی می گویم اگر نامه های جوانی تان را حفظ کنید می توانید اشتیاق را به آواز بخوانید +++
خاطرات پس از مرگ نوشته "ماشادو د آسیس" کتابی ست زندگینامه نوشت که این بار بعد از مرگ شخصیت اصلی داستان یعنی "براس کوباس" توسط خودش روایت می شود. روایت این مرد
Maria João (A Biblioteca da João)
7 de 10*

“Ao verme que primeiro roeu as frias carnes do meu cadáver dedico com saudosa lembrança estas Memórias Póstumas”. É desta forma que Machado de Assis dá início ao seu livro e o mote à narrativa.
Mantendo o tom irónico e sarcástico que tão bem o caracteriza, Machado irá, na personagem de Brás Cubas e a coberto da sua morte, falar sem rodeios do que foi a vida deste personagem. Sendo as memórias de um morto, Brás Cubas relata-nos episódios da sua vida sem medo de represálias ou de consequênc
Nelson Zagalo
Um livro que precisa de ser encarado de dois ângulos distintos, o da história da literatura e o do prazer de leitura. Ou seja, o livro é um marco na literatura brasileira, não apenas por ser do "pai" da sua literatura, mas por ter aqui iniciado, na sua escrita e na do Brasil, todo o seu Realismo. Na língua portuguesa, tinha Eça iniciado o movimento, com “O Crime do Padre Amaro” (1875), ao que Machado não foi indiferente, tal como não vinha sendo indiferente a Zola e Flaubert. Esta obra de Machad ...more
Özgür Daş
Mezarımdan Yazıyorum, edebiyatın felsefeyle harmanlanmasıyla oluşmuş bir içeriğe sahip. Kitabın kahramanı Braz Cubas; doğumundan ölümüne kadar geçen tüm önemli anlarını, gel-gitlerle dolu düşüncelerini, farklı felsefi akımların (materyalizm, varoluşçuluk, oportünizm, faydacılık vs.) şekillendirdiği iç dünyasını sakınımsız bir iç döküşle mezarından okuyucusuna sunuyor.

Alıntılar:

(view spoiler)
El
I have not read anything by Machado de Assis before, though I've been wanting to. He was a prolific author that, strangely, not a lot of people have heard about, and I'm not sure why. He wrote The Posthumous Memoirs of Brás Cubas in 1881, but if you picked this up without realizing that and just read it now, you would likely it think it had actually been written in the last fifty years.

There's a freshness to his writing that holds up well today. I was nervous at first because I knew it was only
Íris
Jan 14, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Não vou alongar muito esta avaliação.

Memórias Póstumas de Brás Cubas, se não me engano, foi o segundo ou terceiro livro que li de um autor brasileiro (sendo os outros dois de Paulo Coelho).
O livro é escrito na visão de Brás Cubas, um homem que já morreu e decidiu contar a história da sua vida - que não é assim tão interessante - por, talvez, a vida ser demasiado aborrecida do outro lado.
Conta, maioritariamente, sobre os seus amores e desencontros.

Houve, no geral, duas coisas que ficaram esclarec
Sahar
Mar 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
بهترین انتخاب بود برای تعطیلات. نیشم تا هیپوفیزم بازه.
Never too Late to...: 2017 December: Translation: The Posthumous Memoirs of Brás Cubas 37 25 Dec 27, 2017 03:42PM
just starting 2 42 Jun 15, 2012 06:32PM
  • Lavoura Arcaica
  • Rebellion in the Backlands
  • O Primo Basílio
  • Vestido de Noiva
  • The Passion According to G.H.
Joaquim Maria Machado de Assis, often known as Machado de Assis, Machado, or Bruxo do Cosme Velho, (June 21, 1839, Rio de Janeiro—September 29, 1908, Rio de Janeiro) was a Brazilian novelist, poet, playwright and short story writer. He is widely regarded as the most important writer of Brazilian literature. However, he did not gain widespread popularity outside Brazil in his own lifetime.
Machado's
“Marcela amou-me durante quinze meses e onze contos de réis” 77 likes
“Ao verme que primeiro roeu as frias carnes do meu cadáver dedico como saudosa lembrança estas memórias póstumas” 48 likes