Start by marking “The Great White Space” as Want to Read:
The Great White Space

The Great White Space

Frederick Plowright, a well-known scientific photographer, is recruited by Professor Clark Ashton Scarsdale to accompany his research team in search of “The Great White Space,” described in ancient and arcane texts as a portal leading to the extremities of the universe. Plowright, Scarsdale, and the rest of their crew embark on the Great Northern Expedition, traversing a ...more
Paperback
Published June 1975 by St. Martin's Press (first published January 1st 1975)

To ask other readers questions about The Great White Space, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Great White Space

Start your review of The Great White Space
mark monday
Copper does Lovecraft, but real classy like. this retread of At the Mountains of Madness does a fairly good job but I prefer intense, excitable Lovecraft to dry, classy Copper.
Joseph
Apr 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
Rather turgid beginning, but once the expedition begins, this was a quick and fun read. Some really good Lovecraftian tropes, though sometimes it is a little too trite...Clark Ashton Scarsdale? Overall, I enjoyed this novel very much though. I have had it sitting on my shelves for years and never felt much of a desire to read it until recently, wish I had discovered it sooner. I am looking forward to reading August Derleth's Solar Pons books and the continuations by Basil Cooper.
Doug
Dec 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Largely a good old-school cosmic horror tale, as long as one allows for a novel that is better thought of as in the style of Jules Verne but wearing a eldritch mask. The novel's genetic code is about 70% Kooky Things that Occur when White Euros Romp through Foreign Lands with only about 30% left for Egads, There's an Elder Thing Looking at Me. Depending on why you pick up this novel - meaning whether or not you have been told this is primarily a horror novel - you will be variously thrilled or ...more
Alex Sarll
An inexplicable yet oddly instructive Lovecraft pastiche. If HPL was Jesus (which, for all his undoubted sins, obviously he wasn't) then August Derleth was St Paul - the man who preserves and spreads the legacy at the same time as corrupting it. Which I suppose would make Basil Copper into Linus - the next generation nonentity, the point at which anything novel has been lost and the whole business has become rote ritual. This book is dedicated to Lovecraft and Derleth in tandem as "Openers of ...more
Eldrinod
Aug 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I have loved this book since I first read it in the 1980's. It's atmospheric, creepy, has wonderfully imagined locations. The Great White Space is in the same Mould as Journey to The Centre of The Earth but more of an adult version. I am a sucker for a good trek tale and this is no exception. Journey across deserts and up into mysterious mountains where a cave leads to some big surprises . . .
Adrian Kleinbergen
Feb 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I liked this book so much, I wrote a sequel to it.

Jason Bradley Thompson
As a Cthulhu Mythos pastiche, this book rates 3 stars for creativity and as a 1970s curio piece; as anything else it rates 1 star for its thin narrative that might have worked better as a short story.

Five British scientists set off on an expedition to a mysterious site somewhere near Tibet, where a gigantic cave complex conceals a legendary portal to another world (I think? it's really vague), "The Great White Space." A promising adventure-story intro (the expeditioneers' equipment list includes
Roger
Apr 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Basil Copper is one of many writers who have turned their talents to popularizing and expanding HP Lovecraft's Cthulhu mythos. I've read Copper's work before in various short story anthologies-I never really cared for him but now I realize short stories may have not have been his forte. The Great White Space gives Copper a little more room to work in, as novels often do, and the result is fantastic. The Great White Space obviously owes a really large literary debt to Lovecraft's own At the ...more
Christopher
May 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
Pulp adventure/horror that probably owes as much stylistically and thematically to Derleth as to Lovecraft. The action at the climax is nonsensical if you think about it too much but adequate if you don't. And the prose reads better than average HPL fanfic. But the characters are not well-developed, the plot is thoroughly ordinary for the genre, and a few early pages of the story pastiche Derleth/Lovecraft's Tcho-Tcho people via a trifecta of racist/Orientalist, sexist, and ableist imagery. I ...more
Greg Gbur
Mar 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
H.P. Lovecraft not only introduced a fundamentally new genre of horror — “cosmic horror” — but inspired generations of writers who have built on his ideas and taken them in interesting new directions.

Valancourt Books recently released a new edition of The Great White Space (1974) by Basil Copper. I snapped it up right away and devoured it (metaphorically, of course) over the course of a day.

Basil Copper (1924-April 2013) was an incredibly prolific author who wrote novels and short stories in
Brandon
Aug 15, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
very well written and spooky. however, i give it only three stars because of the goofy ending, which seemed rushed, like the author just got tired of writing and had to blow off coming up with an interesting ending or had a deadline or just plain fucked it up.

could have been a classic. oh well
Mel
Sep 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
An enjoyable Lovecraftian horror story, I really enjoyed the entire story! The atmosphere and style of writing just pulled me along. But I am a big fan of Basil Copper when it comes to light reading!
Dennis
Oct 29, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
A very good horror novel in the Lovecraftian vein.
Jordan West

• The Croning
  • The Ballad of Black Tom
  • Mayan Blue
  • Mr. Know-It-All: The Tarnished Wisdom of a Filth Elder
  • Troublesome Science: The Misuse of Genetics and Genomics in Understanding Race
  • Gateways to Abomination: Collected Short Fiction
  • Sandstorm (Sigma Force, #1)
  • The Mirrors
  • Vastarien: A Literary Journal (Vol. 1, Issue 1)
  • Starfish (Rifters, #1)
  • My Eyes Are Black Holes
  • Necronomicon: The Best Weird Tales
  • Doll Face
  • Dead Sea
  • I Have No Mouth & I Must Scream
  • The Visible Filth
Basil Copper was an English writer and former journalist and newspaper editor. He has written over 50 books and scripts. In addition to fantasy and horror, Copper is known for his series of Solar Pons stories continuing the character created by August Derleth.

Copper edited a 1982 two-volume omnibus collection of Derleth's stories of the 'Pontine' canon, published by Arkham House, a publishing firm
“선릉백마((0i0-2i56_3384))강남백마 역삼백마 삼성백마 강남러시아 역삼러시아 삼성러시아 선릉러시아 강남역러시아 역삼역러시아 삼성역러시아 선릉역러시아 선릉역백마 삼성역백마 강남역백마 역삼역백마선릉백마” 0 likes