Start by marking “The Great White Space” as Want to Read:
The Great White Space

The Great White Space

Frederick Plowright, a well-known scientific photographer, is recruited by Professor Clark Ashton Scarsdale to accompany his research team in search of “The Great White Space,” described in ancient and arcane texts as a portal leading to the extremities of the universe. Plowright, Scarsdale, and the rest of their crew embark on the Great Northern Expedition, traversing a t ...more
Paperback
Published June 1975 by St. Martin's Press (first published January 1st 1975)

To ask other readers questions about The Great White Space, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Great White Space

Joseph
Apr 05, 2014 Joseph rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
Rather turgid beginning, but once the expedition begins, this was a quick and fun read. Some really good Lovecraftian tropes, though sometimes it is a little too trite...Clark Ashton Scarsdale? Overall, I enjoyed this novel very much though. I have had it sitting on my shelves for years and never felt much of a desire to read it until recently, wish I had discovered it sooner. I am looking forward to reading August Derleth's Solar Pons books and the continuations by Basil Cooper.
mark monday
Copper does Lovecraft, but real classy like. this retread of At the Mountains of Madness does a fairly good job but I prefer intense, excitable Lovecraft to dry, classy Copper.
Alex Sarll
An inexplicable yet oddly instructive Lovecraft pastiche. If HPL was Jesus (which, for all his undoubted sins, obviously he wasn't) then August Derleth was St Paul - the man who preserves and spreads the legacy at the same time as corrupting it. Which I suppose would make Basil Copper into Linus - the next generation nonentity, the point at which anything novel has been lost and the whole business has become rote ritual. This book is dedicated to Lovecraft and Derleth in tandem as "Openers of th ...more
Eldrinod
Aug 20, 2009 Eldrinod rated it it was amazing
I have loved this book since I first read it in the 1980's. It's atmospheric, creepy, has wonderfully imagined locations. The Great White Space is in the same Mould as Journey to The Centre of The Earth but more of an adult version. I am a sucker for a good trek tale and this is no exception. Journey across deserts and up into mysterious mountains where a cave leads to some big surprises . . .
Adrian Kleinbergen
Feb 06, 2015 Adrian Kleinbergen rated it it was amazing
I liked this book so much, I wrote a sequel to it.

Greg Gbur
Mar 21, 2016 Greg Gbur rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
H.P. Lovecraft not only introduced a fundamentally new genre of horror — “cosmic horror” — but inspired generations of writers who have built on his ideas and taken them in interesting new directions.

Valancourt Books recently released a new edition of The Great White Space (1974) by Basil Copper. I snapped it up right away and devoured it (metaphorically, of course) over the course of a day.

Basil Copper (1924-April 2013) was an incredibly prolific author who wrote novels and short stories in hor
Brandon
Aug 15, 2009 Brandon rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
very well written and spooky. however, i give it only three stars because of the goofy ending, which seemed rushed, like the author just got tired of writing and had to blow off coming up with an interesting ending or had a deadline or just plain fucked it up.

could have been a classic. oh well
Ian K
Jan 16, 2016 Ian K rated it liked it
In the Lovecraft tradition but without the purple prose! It's a well written adventure but rather long winded in the travelling section. I disagree with the comment that the ending is rushed: I thought it was quite good.
Mel
Sep 01, 2013 Mel rated it really liked it
An enjoyable Lovecraftian horror story, I really enjoyed the entire story! The atmosphere and style of writing just pulled me along. But I am a big fan of Basil Copper when it comes to light reading!
Dennis
Oct 29, 2011 Dennis rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
A very good horror novel in the Lovecraftian vein.
Jordan West
Jordan West rated it liked it
Oct 06, 2010
Darin
Darin rated it liked it
Jan 23, 2014
K. Valisumbra
K. Valisumbra rated it liked it
Jan 18, 2016
Simon Bucher-Jones
Simon Bucher-Jones rated it liked it
Jan 28, 2015
Franklin  Hummel
Franklin Hummel rated it it was amazing
Jul 22, 2014
Bill Barnett
Bill Barnett rated it really liked it
Oct 12, 2011
Christopher Butler
Christopher Butler rated it liked it
Oct 02, 2014
Michael McCloskey
Michael McCloskey rated it really liked it
Oct 25, 2011
Ross
Ross rated it it was amazing
Mar 09, 2015
Patrick.G.P
Patrick.G.P rated it liked it
Aug 16, 2016
Allan
Allan rated it really liked it
Dec 22, 2014
j rees
j rees rated it it was ok
Dec 16, 2015
John
John rated it liked it
Apr 05, 2013
Andy Bennison
Andy Bennison rated it really liked it
Nov 22, 2014
William Oarlock
William Oarlock rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2013
Julie
Julie rated it it was amazing
Dec 03, 2011
Waffles
Waffles rated it really liked it
Apr 22, 2016
Andy Blacet
Andy Blacet rated it liked it
May 22, 2012
Jon
Jon rated it really liked it
Apr 13, 2011
Ursula
Ursula rated it really liked it
Oct 02, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Basil Copper was an English writer and former journalist and newspaper editor. He has written over 50 books and scripts. In addition to fantasy and horror, Copper is known for his series of Solar Pons stories continuing the character created by August Derleth.

Copper edited a 1982 two-volume omnibus collection of Derleth's stories of the 'Pontine' canon, published by Arkham House, a publishing firm
More about Basil Copper...

“선릉백마((0i0-2i56_3384))강남백마 역삼백마 삼성백마 강남러시아 역삼러시아 삼성러시아 선릉러시아 강남역러시아 역삼역러시아 삼성역러시아 선릉역러시아 선릉역백마 삼성역백마 강남역백마 역삼역백마선릉백마” 0 likes