Start by marking “Deliver Us from Me-Ville” as Want to Read:
Deliver Us from Me-Ville

Deliver Us from Me-Ville

3.59  ·  Rating details ·  126 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Author David Zimmerman takes readers on a hilarious and honest trip through Me-Ville, a place where it's all about You. David shares his insights on escaping the trap of selfishness.
Published January 1st 2010 by David C Cook (first published June 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Deliver Us from Me-Ville, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deliver Us from Me-Ville

CCCfaithathome
Jul 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Building on the teachings of Thomas Merton and Dietrich Bonhoeffer, David Zimmerman outlines the journey from Me-Ville to God's Kingdom that all Christians must travel (and often, re-travel). The good news is, Jesus is the one who comes to Me-Ville to lead the way out!

Each chapter includes ways that the journey changes us, practices we actively engage in as willing participants on the trip (we aren't just along for the ride, after all), and "Escape Routes" or spiritual practices to try when you
Clint
Nov 17, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A joyfully sarcastic look at our own self-absorption from a Christian perspective. This is a great look at how to navigate the self-sacrificial mandate of our faith when we live in a society that assures us that "I'm important, yo!"
Rick
Feb 01, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
You could say it was the title that drew me in. Deliver us from Me-ville. Just saying it out loud makes me chuckle. It's the kind of title that makes me want to jab you with my elbow, all the while smiling and asking you if you get it.

See, it's a play on words.

Nevermind.

David Zimmerman has written a good book here on helping us move. Move? Yeah, from our current address in Me-ville. He points out, without apology, that living self-centered is not where we want to be.

It would be easy for us to
Grace
Oct 11, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The author describes himself as edgy and that is probably why I didn't feel drawn to this book. At times I was exasperated when Zimmerman talked about biblical characters in ways I never would have imagined. He is convinced that John and Peter were at odds (jealous even) and that John revealed this clearly in his gospel, by exposing all of Peter's blunders. I think some of it was probably meant to be funny, like John making sure that everyone knew he ran faster than Peter on that Resurrection da ...more
Tami Boesiger
Mar 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
David Zimmerman spoke directly to my heart and my desire to rid myself of self-centeredness. There is no easy way to leave Me-Ville. It will hurt because it involves denying self, denying practices and wants that seem normal. But the freedom we find in Thee-ville is worth the pain.

One of my favorite quotes was this: "To the extent we compare ourselves to one another, we are still trapped in the life God is calling us out of." Ouch. And guilty.

I especially appreciated the inclusion of a passage f
Tarissa
Feb 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book to get one thinking about whether you're living in Me-Ville, or if you're truly living for God. I found the chapters to go by, always leaving me with something I could really chew on, ponder, and apply to my life. I think I discovered wonderful insight on how to always keep Christ at the center of your life, and never let the relationship stray.

"The kingdom of God is firmly established because it's the place where our God reigns. Me-Ville is not. Me-Ville is where superbia reigns; it'
Tim
Jan 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A book about how Jesus can displace us from the center of our self-involved lives. It's tough to do in America, but Zimmerman, aided by abundant quotes from the spiritually wise, especially Bonhoeffer, provides a route. It includes spiritual practice and the church and focuses centrally on Jesus. I liked his humorous, self-deprecating tone and found the "escape routes" or exercises at the end of each chapter especially useful. God knows I can use all the help I can get getting over me.
Scott Hughes
Sep 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Easy to read yet the author does mix in some challenging words. If anything, and the reason I didn't give it a higher rating, is that he doesn't go far enough in examining the problems and complexities of cultural issues such as consumerism and individualism have on current Christianity. But perhaps I shouldn't have let my desires cloud his work.
Bob Morton
The book was OK. I read it over time so I am sure that helped in losing something in translation. It is a look at us. We tend to put ourselves on the throne and move Jesus off. When we do that, then we are in Me-Ville. The object of the book is to get us out of there and on the way to Thee-Ville
Part of the problem with the book is that I kept feeling that the author was trying to paraphrase what other people had written. In other words, the book, though original, was not an original thought but
Darin Vogt
Mar 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Definitely worth the time to read!

The author addresses a topic we all love--ME! In short, we are so obsessed with ourselves that we need God to rescue us. Through an extended conversation the author addresses how to seek the Lord (Thee-ville) instead of ourselves (Me-ville). Enjoy!
John Collins
I wasn’t a huge fan of Zimmerman’s style. It was too cute, or too much like he started with the title and then wrote the book. I also felt he was a little too loose with theology or precision in a few spots.

Nevertheless, I made numerous highlights throughout on some good points, but felt that the strongest content was on side-trails from the main road.
Matt Miles
Jul 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
With self awareness and insight, along with a sense of humor, David Zimmerman takes the reader on a journey from Me-Ville to We-Ville, then beyond that toward the City of God as we follow Christ. The honesty of our insidious self-centered tendencies, even (or especially) in worship, makes this a must read for any Christian. There are always three fingers pointing back to the author as well, seeking truth over a false sense of heroism. This would make a great companion to Dietrich Bonhoeffer's Th ...more
A.J.
Thought Provoking

This book will make you consider your current spiritual position and relationship with Jesus Christ. If you want to live a fuller, more satisfying life - you can have it by doing what this book suggests. Get the focus off of yourself and back to where it should be.
Elizabeth
Feb 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
My rating : 3.5

I first opened this book in search of a good laugh! I have to say that I was very surprised at the level of depth. In many parts of the book, I felt that my flesh and selfish heart were described shamefully well. I left this book more humble and with a deeper notion of God's truly amazing grace.
Dennise Gonzalez
Simple necessary truths

Easy to read. It feels like taking a stroll with an old friend who softly but surely talks into your heart the things you need to hear.
I needed this! It's helped me refocus.
Allyson Loretz
Jun 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! David Zimmerman somehow found a way to mix his hilarious sense of humor with a very serious challenge to our Christian faith, and it is perfect.
Paul Harrison
Dec 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Easy read...but deep

I felt this book quickly covered the issues and offered practical tools and questions to work you through an escape from me-ville
Miniver Cheevy
Nov 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kindle
Vince Stegall
May 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-bests
I would challenge every teen and young adult to read this book. Very witty and fun and insightful. Love it, and the author.
Brock
Oct 31, 2012 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: doctrinal-issues
kindle - Doctrinal Issues/Postmodernism
Nathan Hayes
Jul 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a great book. One that every up and coming leader or student should read
Deborah
A good topic, but i wasn't captivated by it. I didn't feel like I heard anything
new. It does have a discussion guide which would make this book a nice group study.
Sheila Michaels
Melissa
May 11, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Messy Church: A Multigenerational Mission for God's Family
  • Christianish: What If We're Not Really Following Jesus at All?
  • Church Zero: Raising 1st Century Churches out of the Ashes of the 21st Century Church
  • Good News for Those Trying Harder
  • God's Love: How the Infinite God Cares for His Children
  • Beautiful Battlefields
  • Indescribable: Encountering the Glory of God in the Beauty of the Universe
  • The Grace Outpouring: Blessing Others through Prayer
  • It's Your Call: What Are You Doing Here?

Nonfiction Deals

• Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World
    $11.24 $1.99
  • Fall Down 7 Times Get Up 8: A Young Man's Voice from the Silence of Autism
    $13.99 $1.99
  • I Am Not Myself These Days (P.S.)
    $13.24 $1.99
    $12.99 $3.99
  • No God But God: The Origins, Evolution and Future of Islam
  • Seabiscuit: An American Legend
    $12.99 $1.99
“Adam and Eve each denied their own responsibility when confronted by God because they saw themselves as too important to be wrong, to be weak, to be vulnerable to the shrewdness of a mere serpent. The dramatic increase in self-importance over the turn of the millennium, occurring alongside a steady increase in divorce, white-collar crime, morbid obesity, and high-profile falls from grace, smacks of a similar stink. We’re too important for silly rules. We can’t be expected to keep promises we made after circumstances change. Give us enough time, and we’ll figure out who’s really to blame for the trouble we find ourselves in. Jake” 0 likes
“Journeys are regularly marked by an early exhilaration followed by a waning resolve to finish.” 0 likes