Start by marking “Personality Plus” as Want to Read:
Personality Plus

Personality Plus

Understanding the power of personality
In Personality Plus, Florence Littauer gives you valuable insight for appreciating your one-of-a-kind, God-given personality. This engaging book also provides keys to understanding those around you. You'll learn how to accept-and even enjoy-the traits that make each of us so different. Through humorous anecdotes and straightforward
Published July 1st 1992 by Fleming H. Revell Company (first published 1983)

Start your review of Personality Plus
Sean Showalter
Apr 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Sean by: Kenny Cleveland
This book helped me gain a deep and accurate picture of myself. In addition, it has helped me to understand others. I regret that I was introduced to it so late in my life. In my opinion, this book should be a requisite in every high school in America. I strongly encourage everyone to read it.

Synopsis
There are 4 basic personality types created by some ancient Greek dude back in the day. All of us humans will have characteristics of each type. You take a personality assessment in the beginning of
Kate
Sep 19, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book was pretty gimmicky. The conceit of it is that there are four basic "temperaments": Popular Sanguine, Peaceful Phlegmatic, Powerful Choleric, and Perfect Melancholy. The idea is that you can identify your own tendencies and those of the people you interact with, and adapt suitably. For example, Popular Sanguines are fun, talkative, outgoing, have great ideas & get fired up about them, but they are flaky, self-centered, & lack organization & follow through. So ...more
Books
Jul 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed-2014
I very seldom read non-fiction, and even less than that do I read self-help books. That’s more hubby’s kind of thing. Me? I love my fiction. A few months ago at the office, a colleague was telling me about a book he and his wife were reading that teaches you to understand who you are and thus will help you understand others. The way he explained it, I was intrigued, and naturally I also wanted to read this book which sounded as though it might have life-changing powers. I have an analytical ...more
Shalini Sinha
Apr 05, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf, self-help
The author lost me at the personality test. I mean what does outspoken and orderly have in common? Or any of the words in a single row? What kind of data driven research or critical thinking is involved in it?

The book is pseudoscience and doesn't deserve a review or a read.
Valorie Smith
Sep 12, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I do not exaggerate when I tell you this book saved my family. We had 4 children we homeschooled until high school. I was a full time homemaker and on call 24/7. I was stressed out, worn out, and guilted out by my inability to communicate effectively with these 4 short humans. I thought I would lose my mind! Then, probably about 1987, I read this book and it changed my life and the lives of my kids (and husband). It has held me in good stead through church activities, jobs, public school ...more
Jon
Jan 28, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommended to Jon by: Westside Family Church Spiritual Growth Study

I read this book for a spiritual growth study sponsored through the Women's Ministry at my church. Our leader, Vicki Olsen, was an inspiring teacher.

I've taken many personality tests over the years, mostly sponsored by my employer, but this study was comprehensive, eye-opening and very helpful to my understanding of interacting with family and co-workers.
Charissa
This book blew me away. I didn't pick it up with any serious intention of really enjoying it. I thought it'd be another boring book to help explain personalities and help me as I write characters for my books. But this was a pleasant, inspiring surprise. As I did the personality test and began delving deeper into the book, I stopped only reading for intellectual/working knowledge and started learning about myself. The title said I would, but I hadn't believe it. :) Now I do.

This really helped me
Siobhain
Personality Plus was helpful for our family when we read it almost twenty years ago. Like most families, we had the most trouble between family members with widely different temperaments because both children and adults could only see the world through their own ways of thinking and reacting. Personality Plus helped each member of our family to understand and appreciate his own temperament as well as the temperaments of each other. In a lighthearted manner, Mrs. Littauer illustrates the ...more
Andrea Norton
While I have it set at two stars, it's actually a 1.5 star book, in my opinion.

I picked up Personality Plus at the store because it sounded fun and interesting. Self help books have become a huge part of my life since Christmas 2015, when I had a serious mental crash and put myself through a rigorous "get better" program. Included in the broad category of self help are personality books. I read them for fun now, but also to learn, grow and see things from different perspective.

First, I have to
Daryl King
Oct 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my top 10 books that I think folks should have. It describes the 4 basic personality/temperament types that are found in people. It's similar to other resources that cover the 4 temperaments like the following:

Littauer......Keven Leman....Gary Smally...http://www.discprofile.com/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Choloric.......Great Dane.....Lion...............Dominance
Sanguin........Yorkie............Otter..............Influence
Phlegmatic...Irish
Daniel Taylor
An evergreen favourite amongst network marketers, "Personality Plus" teaches you about yourself. In doing so, it frees you up to understand others. It's a well-written and enjoyable classic. Read this book to learn practical skills in how you can more readily accept and support others in your life.
I read this book when I was 10 (1992), but I'm removing the finished date because it's an outlier that messes up my graph.
vivek
Jan 28, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Too much of repetitive content . The crux of the book could have been covered in a 20 page essay
Jagoda
Jun 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
Such a great book- it actually made me realise how different we all are. Loved it, seriously. btw, I'm definitely a Popular Sanguine mixed with other personallities :)
Bob Gao
Jul 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Crystal Lee
Feb 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-help
I loved this book. It was very helpful in understanding my own temperament and those around me.

I felt some of it was a little klunky as a read, but all in all, a great read with a lot of good information.

But maybe that's just my melancholic nature speaking. Lol.

I would definitely recommend this book to others. I think it could help a lot of people and increase tolerance and understanding.
Liusmiler323
As i have seen most of its ideas in other books, i just reviewed the subtitles quickly and finished this book in 2 hours( the fastest speed i ever had). the most interesting parts of this book is its categorization of four types of people and the analysis of different mixes of the four. All in all, a good book, but not a great book...
Ryan Morton
A powerful book with a put-to-immediate-use approach to improve your life. I've struggled to explain the differences I've observed in the people I experience, but this book explains well the different personalities.

In particular, it highlights how we can overcome our limitations and leverage our strengths. If this weren't enough, it goes on to explain how we can recognize and handle others personality profiles.

If you interact with other people and/or want to better understand yourself, then
Greg Frucci
May 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wisdom
I have found a love for understanding personalities including my own. This is the third book I have read on the subject lately, and this one is the best so far. Florence Littauer has created a fun book to read with a core message of understanding why we think and act the way we do. The most important chapter is Chapter 16 where she made me realize that she is not placing me in a "box", but allowing me to exit my Way in order to understand and accept how others are who seem so much different than ...more
elys
Sep 12, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: please-god-no
i suffered through the over-generalisations and gave chance after chance to the author to redeem herself with something to qualify her atrocious claims until i came upon this sentence: "Our daughter Lauren is a Powerful Choleric. From the time she could first walk, she was mature and able to manage the household." what the fuck? i dropped the book faster than i drop hot potatoes.

look, i am interested in Hippocrates' four temperaments, probably much more than the next person, but this? this is
Cai
I could not put this book down. I found it so intriguing, insightful and helpful. I definitely understand myself, my partner, my family and friends a little better now and hopefully will be able to tackle the difficult situations that arise a little better. It is worth a read but only if you are actually willing to accept the psychology of it all and be honest and truthful when assessing yourself. If you are not willing to be honest with yourself then don't bother picking up this book because ...more
Lidyawati
Oct 19, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teenager!!
Shelves: must-read-book
it's really really a must-read-book!! =D

i read this book in a long long long time ago =D

there are 4 human characteristics are explained, such as Sanguin (the talkative & party lover), Melancholic (perfectionist in every thing), Choleric (the leader, influencer, & motivator), Phlegmatic (the cool & peacemaker)..

this book also provide psychology test so we can get what kind of a person who we are =D!
Yzobelle
May 20, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great reference if you want to understand yourself better and understand the others around you as well. It's always good to know your strengths and weaknesses as a friend, a worker, and even as a parent. This book is indeed a plus since it also makes you look into other people's strengths and weaknesses. Knowing, understanding and appreciating other persons' personalities make working together more possible ... more peaceful.
Marc Page
Oct 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: top-50, social, top-5
I've read Personality Plus before, but each time I read it I find new insights. This book gives you the tools to quickly determine the personality traits for those around you and gives you practical tools to work with each personality type, and minimize the negative aspects of your personality. The best book I've read on interpersonal relationships.
Sean Lifeleadership
Mar 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I HIGHLY RECOMMEND this book to EVERYONE !!! I have read it multiple times. This book has literally changed my life! I had only looked at relationships 2 dimensionally before I discovered this book with the help of the-team.biz
Now, not only do I have better relationships, but I have more friends & have better results at work. Thanks Florence & TEAM for guiding me out of my lonely misery. Sean
Sally Poyzer
A real eye opener. This book explains so much about how those around us are different, not wrong! This book is so helpful in understanding yourself as well as learning how to tone down the aspects of your personality that irritate others. It also gives really practical suggestions for working with people who have a different personality.
Mary
Aug 08, 2011 added it
Maybe it was her sanguine style of writing that drove me crazy, but it seems she drew far too much from her own family and self and gave very little else in way of explaining the personalities. Examples and anecdotes serve a purpose, but the book was wholly narrative. I expected a lot more content, and a little less giddiness. Was not a fan.
Whitney
Mar 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My best friend made me read this and figure out what kind of personality I am. I forgot what type of personality I am, but I remember thinking that it really described me pretty well, and also explained why I act the way I do sometimes. I should read this again.
Jorgina
Loved seeing myself defined and explained. Very helpful in understanding myself and others instead of being frustrated. Four personality categories similar to the red,blue, yellow and white but based on Greek philosophy. Littauer has a great sense of humor but a bit stoic in person.
Rusty
Jun 26, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Simple to understand as well as eyeopening as to how best see yourself and others. Although the author finds it hard not to transmit a bias, I feel the "phlegmatic" and "meloncholly" personalities might come away with a bad taste in their mouths.
help u knowing ur self n understand others 3 30 Mar 13, 2015 11:46PM
Spot on! 2 9 Sep 26, 2014 07:44AM

• How to Have Confidence and Power in Dealing with People
  • How I Raised Myself From Failure to Success in Selling
  • The Magic of Thinking Big
  • Bringing Out the Best in People: How to Enjoy Helping Others Excel
  • Resolved: 13 Resolutions for LIFE
  • The Ant and the Elephant: Leadership for the Self: A Parable and 5-Step Action Plan to Transform Workplace Performance
  • Skill with People
  • The Friendship Factor: How to Get Closer to the People You Care for
  • Acres of Diamonds
  • How to Win Friends and Influence People
  • The Go-Getter (a Story That Tells You How to Be One)
  • Launching a Leadership Revolution: Mastering the Five Levels of Influence
  • The Power of Positive Thinking
  • Master-Key to Riches
  • What to Say When You Talk to Yourself
  • LIFE
  • Attitude Is Everything: Change Your Attitude... and You Change Your Life!
Florence Littauer is a Christian self-help author and public speaker. Littauer is best known for her series of books based upon the Personality Plus personality system. She was listed as one of Helen K. Hosier's "100 Christian Women Who Changed the Twentieth Century" and has received the National Speakers Association's Council of Peers Award for Excellence and has been designated by them as a ...more
“Perfect Melancholies have high standards they do everything to perfection, but when they impose their standards on others, this trait becomes a weakness.” 0 likes