Start by marking “Happy Hippo, Angry Duck” as Want to Read:
Happy Hippo, Angry Duck

Happy Hippo, Angry Duck

4.25  ·  Rating details ·  2,023 Ratings  ·  120 Reviews
Are you HAPPY AS A HIPPO?
Or ANGRY AS A DUCK?
Maybe SAD AS A CHICKEN?
(Can you sadly say "CLUCK CLUCK"?)

Bestselling author Sandra Boynton is back in this all-new board book about moods. Boynton's clever animals exemplify a wide range of emotions in this hilarious story about different feelings. Young readers are sure to giggle as interactive text asks them if they are "grum
Board Book, 16 pages
Published May 24th 2011 by Little Simon

Melody
Mar 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Read this at Powell's the other day- it was, like most Boynton board books, charming and adorable and fun. Boynton board books are so charming, in fact, that they make me think that I'd like to work somewhere I could read them to toddlers all day long. That's how good this book is. But then I woke up and put the book back on the shelf, backed away until I was a safe distance, turned on my heel and ran like hell.
Mallory
Sep 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
A funny story about a lot of different feelings. It teaches your little one that it's okay to be mad or sad or happy or silly. Lots of new words and fun pictures. A great book to read aloud as you can make lots of funny voices and actions.
Ernest
Dec 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Good illustrations and art combine with a good, simple story appropriately pitched for the age group to produce a book as engaging as it is a little deeper than a typical, surface kids book could be. The use of different words to describe and animals to have the different emotions works well, and there is something for older readers to takeaway too, that to have different feelings is ok (and extending far beyond the book’s scope or even intended point, that having friends around, especially clos ...more
Sabrina Parsons
Feb 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a cartoon type book that talks to the reader the whole time. It gives examples of different moods and associates animals with the mood that they are describing. The moods progress as the narrator asks how the reader feels until it gets to the mood happy, but the narrator informs the reader that it is okay to feel how ever you feel because it will pass and a new mood will come.
The text is very simple in this book as it is mostly asking the reader questions which allows the reader time to
David
Mar 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Happy Hippo, Angry Duck: a book of Moods by Sandra Boynton is a humorous boardbook look at emotions and moods.

Boynton's illustrations feature her slightly silly animals portraying different moods that animals or peopple may adopt. Hippo, duck, chicken, moose, duck, rabbit, frog, pig, cow, dog, and "thing" are shown in different moods. My favorite images are hippo, duck, moose, frog, cow, frazzled, and group.

In a straight forward manner, a animal narrator asks young readers about their moods. Aft
Heidi-Marie
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!! Could there ever be a Boynton book I do not love to pieces? I highly doubt it. And this book continues my great love of her work. What a fabulous book on moods! Simple yet hilarious. The illustrations convey so well. And the message near the end is something I still need to be reassured of. If there were a larger format, this book would be very fun in a toddler storytime, too.

I think, being my unfortunately and uncontrollably moody self, my mother (great saint who has alw
Aneesa
Feb 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
We have a book for every occasion.
Asho
Mar 16, 2014 rated it liked it
It's no "Barnyard Dance" but it's still a cute Boynton book. And this book actually did open up some discussion of moods with my toddler, who was especially interested in showing me which animals were mad and sad.

ETA December 2016: I just finished reading this book with my daughter, who coincidentally is about the same age as my son was when he and I read this book. She picked it out at the library herself, as did he three years ago. So, clearly this book is appealing to just-turned-two-year-old
Drew Graham
Nov 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
People go through many moods. They come and go, and you can usually find a good one, like the animals in this book do (except for that duck).

This is another brilliant Sandra Boynton board book. It seems like emotions and moods aren't usually something that's addressed in books for tiny readers, but this does it in such a way that it's true and relatable (and interactive), not only for little ones, but for their parents too. Some of the emotion/animal pairings are a little bit of a stretch, but w
Jan 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: shevy
Just got this book yesterday. We have 6 Boynton books, and I think this is my favorite.
Ingredients: Classic Boynton characters and illustrations, catchy rhymes, humor, and a good lesson (Its okay to have all sorts of moods, bad moods are temporary, your friends are here for you). Some of the Boyton books teach something but are more silly than educational. Others are not fun to read (A to Z and Doggies come to mind. I am so sick of reading Doggies... My daughter loves it though). This one is def
midnightfaerie
Jun 26, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens
Another typical Boynton. Beautiful, cute, illustrations, but not deep enough content to keep my children really engaged. They did like the angry duck in this one and how he kept popping up. They also liked to make the different faces, but some of them, like the "sweetly amused pig" or the "contented frog" were a bit over their heads to really understand. Still, a Boynton is not without merit.
Pam
Jul 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a good addition to our Sandra Boynton collection, but it's not her best work. It just doesn't have the same catchiness and personality of her other books, like But Not The Hippopotamus and Blue Hat, Green Hat.
Maria
Jul 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I am that duck.
Cynthia Varady
Dec 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite-books
I love the message this book delivers; we all have bad days, but don't worry, they won't last forever, and you are always loved.
Michelle Dalrymple
Silly, silly, silly...

Another great book from this super silly author. Entertained both my 4 year old and 22 month old, fun read!
Amanda
Mar 30, 2016 rated it liked it
Not my favorite Boynton but my little one enjoyed it.
Jade
Sep 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: baby-shelf
Note: this is not my review but the review of my daughter who can't have her own goodreads but does love herself a book! Therefore I will be writing them for her. She is currently 6 months old.

Baby would rather give this 4 stars, but mom laughs so much at the ending every time that this can't help but laugh too! Therefore, 5 stars all around. We loved this one. Plus it's a great book for validating ones emotions. Mom especially enjoyed the duck.
Caitlinleah
Apr 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: board-books
Boynton can be hit or miss for me but this is for sure a big hit. Perfect rhyming text is her forte, but this book not only has great opportunities for a fun read via facial expressions and voice acting, but also an important message about emotions that comes across as friendly instead of moralizing. We may have to add this one to our home library.
Jamie Zaikov
May 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jonahs-shelf
I almost cried the first time I read this because it's so gentle and perfect. A book of moods, Boynton reminds the reader (the parent as much as the child, maybe it's the parent who needs to hear this more) that a lot of people love you and will help you during tough times and a difficult mood is not here to stay. Every parent needs this!
Lesley
A silly story about feelings. It is a great book to teach your little one about different moods. Whether you are feeling grumpy, worried, sad, happy - it's perfectly okay to feel that way. It also has a great rhyming pattern that makes it fun to read out loud.
Vanessa
Feb 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 1000-books
great pictures expressing the emotions
Clarissa
Dec 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Boynton is always hilarious and adorable!
Beth
Dec 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
I want to be the duck.
Tracy
Jun 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, kiddo, poetry
I would've gotten this from the library but we already had Boynton's "Opposites" and I'm trying to mix our reading up a little. Just a little.

Kids' books about feelings are faaaaaascinating.
Kate Reynolds
Jul 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: evie
Cute, rhyming story about emotions
Rae B.
Mar 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
We are big fans of Sandra Boynton's books. They are fun to read and since the illustrations carry over from book to book, my toddler loves the familiarity of the characters.
Robyn
Nov 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
This has got to be my favourite of Arlo’s books so far. Perhaps like a pig I am sweetly amused🐷
Kaelyn
Jan 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
It's a story about moods and at the beginning, it started as very funny because I'm six and it says "hello, little person" and I am not little. And the mood section, which is one line under it is "is your mood quite terrific or only okay?" And these are the types of moods that he says "are you happy as a hippo? or angry as a duck" and that's the main title. One thing that my mom and I were doing mostly these three days was being like a frog. The frog is content. One thing that's really funny abo ...more
Cornelia
Jun 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Happy Hippo, Angry Duck: a book of moods by Sandra Boynton is a witty, engaging book that teaches the lesson that there are many kinds of moods and they change each day. Boynton, in her usual style, uses rhymes throughout the book, adding a layer of complexity. While the other books that I have read this week, have been quite simple and more appropriate for newborns, this book seems more suited for infants through toddlers. The number of words, the font size, the rhyme scheme, varied font size a ...more
Craig Fischer
Mar 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books
Happy Hippo, Angry Duck is a rhyming early reader, and while it starts off kind of stupid, it wins you over by the time you have to cluck cluck sadly. It has a nice message about friends always being there that I think could have been expounded a bit better, but I really liked the ending with that Angry Duck--I think it would have been better if Sandra would had the other critters trying to be it's friend--while it still remained grumpy, to try and instill the message just a bit more, but I sor ...more
  • Duck & Goose, Goose Needs a Hug
  • Good Night, I Love You
  • Peek-a-Who?
  • Little Blue Truck Leads the Way
  • Hello, Animals!
Sandra Keith Boynton is a popular American humorist, songwriter, children's author and illustrator. Boynton has written and illustrated more than forty books for both children and adults, as well as over four thousand greeting cards, and four music albums. Although she does not license her characters to be redrawn or adapted, she has herself designed—for various companies—calendars, wallpaper, bed ...more
More about Sandra Boynton