Start by marking “Happy Hippo, Angry Duck” as Want to Read:
Happy Hippo, Angry Duck

Happy Hippo, Angry Duck

4.25  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,511 Ratings  ·  91 Reviews
Are you HAPPY AS A HIPPO?
Or ANGRY AS A DUCK?
Maybe SAD AS A CHICKEN?
(Can you sadly say "CLUCK CLUCK"?)

Bestselling author Sandra Boynton is back in this all-new board book about moods. Boynton's clever animals exemplify a wide range of emotions in this hilarious story about different feelings. Young readers are sure to giggle as interactive text asks them if they are "grump
Board Book, 16 pages
Published May 24th 2011 by Little Simon

Melody
Mar 12, 2012 Melody rated it really liked it
Read this at Powell's the other day- it was, like most Boynton board books, charming and adorable and fun. Boynton board books are so charming, in fact, that they make me think that I'd like to work somewhere I could read them to toddlers all day long. That's how good this book is. But then I woke up and put the book back on the shelf, backed away until I was a safe distance, turned on my heel and ran like hell.
Sabrina Parsons
Feb 08, 2015 Sabrina Parsons rated it really liked it
This is a cartoon type book that talks to the reader the whole time. It gives examples of different moods and associates animals with the mood that they are describing. The moods progress as the narrator asks how the reader feels until it gets to the mood happy, but the narrator informs the reader that it is okay to feel how ever you feel because it will pass and a new mood will come.
The text is very simple in this book as it is mostly asking the reader questions which allows the reader time to
Mallory
Sep 10, 2013 Mallory rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
A funny story about a lot of different feelings. It teaches your little one that it's okay to be mad or sad or happy or silly. Lots of new words and fun pictures. A great book to read aloud as you can make lots of funny voices and actions.
David
Mar 13, 2013 David rated it really liked it
Happy Hippo, Angry Duck: a book of Moods by Sandra Boynton is a humorous boardbook look at emotions and moods.

Boynton's illustrations feature her slightly silly animals portraying different moods that animals or peopple may adopt. Hippo, duck, chicken, moose, duck, rabbit, frog, pig, cow, dog, and "thing" are shown in different moods. My favorite images are hippo, duck, moose, frog, cow, frazzled, and group.

In a straight forward manner, a animal narrator asks young readers about their moods. Aft
Heidi
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!! Could there ever be a Boynton book I do not love to pieces? I highly doubt it. And this book continues my great love of her work. What a fabulous book on moods! Simple yet hilarious. The illustrations convey so well. And the message near the end is something I still need to be reassured of. If there were a larger format, this book would be very fun in a toddler storytime, too.

I think, being my unfortunately and uncontrollably moody self, my mother (great saint who has alw
Jan 27, 2015 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: shevy
Just got this book yesterday. We have 6 Boynton books, and I think this is my favorite.
Ingredients: Classic Boynton characters and illustrations, catchy rhymes, humor, and a good lesson (Its okay to have all sorts of moods, bad moods are temporary, your friends are here for you). Some of the Boyton books teach something but are more silly than educational. Others are not fun to read (A to Z and Doggies come to mind. I am so sick of reading Doggies... My daughter loves it though). This one is def
Drew Graham
Jun 16, 2015 Drew Graham rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
People go through many moods. They come and go, and you can usually find a good one, like the animals in this book do (except for that duck).

This is another brilliant Sandra Boynton board book. It seems like emotions and moods aren't usually something that's addressed in books for tiny readers, but this does it in such a way that it's true and relatable (and interactive), not only for little ones, but for their parents too. Some of the emotion/animal pairings are a little bit of a stretch, but w
Amanda
Mar 30, 2016 Amanda rated it liked it
Not my favorite Boynton but my little one enjoyed it.
Kaelyn
Jan 20, 2016 Kaelyn rated it really liked it
It's a story about moods and at the beginning, it started as very funny because I'm six and it says "hello, little person" and I am not little. And the mood section, which is one line under it is "is your mood quite terrific or only okay?" And these are the types of moods that he says "are you happy as a hippo? or angry as a duck" and that's the main title. One thing that my mom and I were doing mostly these three days was being like a frog. The frog is content. One thing that's really funny abo ...more
Cornelia
Jun 03, 2016 Cornelia rated it really liked it
Happy Hippo, Angry Duck: a book of moods by Sandra Boynton is a witty, engaging book that teaches the lesson that there are many kinds of moods and they change each day. Boynton, in her usual style, uses rhymes throughout the book, adding a layer of complexity. While the other books that I have read this week, have been quite simple and more appropriate for newborns, this book seems more suited for infants through toddlers. The number of words, the font size, the rhyme scheme, varied font size a ...more
midnightfaerie
Jun 26, 2013 midnightfaerie rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens
Another typical Boynton. Beautiful, cute, illustrations, but not deep enough content to keep my children really engaged. They did like the angry duck in this one and how he kept popping up. They also liked to make the different faces, but some of them, like the "sweetly amused pig" or the "contented frog" were a bit over their heads to really understand. Still, a Boynton is not without merit.
Maria
Aug 04, 2015 Maria rated it it was amazing
I am that duck.
Pam
Jul 01, 2014 Pam rated it really liked it
This is a good addition to our Sandra Boynton collection, but it's not her best work. It just doesn't have the same catchiness and personality of her other books, like But Not The Hippopotamus and Blue Hat, Green Hat.
Asho
Mar 16, 2014 Asho rated it liked it
It's no "Barnyard Dance" but it's still a cute Boynton book. And this book actually did open up some discussion of moods with my toddler, who was especially interested in showing me which animals were mad and sad.
Michelle Dalrymple
Silly, silly, silly...

Another great book from this super silly author. Entertained both my 4 year old and 22 month old, fun read!
Cynthia Varady
Dec 18, 2014 Cynthia Varady rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite-books
I love the message this book delivers; we all have bad days, but don't worry, they won't last forever, and you are always loved.
drea
Mar 17, 2016 drea rated it it was amazing
Bought this one for my daughter's library about two years ago, and we still read it regularly. Sometimes I suspect that's because I, her mother, like the reminder that bad moods will pass. (Just don't be the duck--he's always that way).

Marie
Jun 21, 2016 Marie rated it it was amazing
Sandra Boynton is wonderful- love all her books. This one is cute, with her typical rhyming text. It talks about different feelings/moods that you might experience, and about how moods are changeable.
Hilary
Jan 19, 2015 Hilary rated it it was amazing
Shelves: baby-toddler
A fun way to explain moods, and reassurance that it's okay to feel differently. I expect there will be some descriptors used as the small child gets older: "Are you feeling more like a hippo or a duck today?>
Becky Carleton
This is a great picture book to help caregivers and young kids identify and talk about their feelings. Chock-full of silly fun, it's not didactic at all. Boynton's the best!
Leah
Jul 11, 2016 Leah rated it really liked it
My niece seemed to really enjoy this book. It is a cute little read about moods and the different animals and sounds are really fun for her.
Brittany
Jan 25, 2016 Brittany rated it really liked it
We read this to Alistair tonight (15 months) and he laughed less than Jules and I did. Looking forward to reading it again with him tomorrow.
Diana k Dewey
Cute but short

In short this is a spendy kindle price for such small book. Overpriced. Too short for the buck.
Good grief!
Christie
Mar 29, 2016 Christie rated it it was amazing
My favorite Sandra Boynton book by far! Clever and fun writing while exploring emotions which can be a confusing topic for small children.
Agnes
Jan 21, 2016 Agnes rated it it was amazing
Mom says she likes to read this one when I'm "having a duck day". I am never the duck, mom. You are.
Annie
Sep 22, 2015 Annie rated it it was amazing
This is probably my favorite book to read to my little girl. No one is happy all the time, but it's ok!
Craig Fischer
Mar 17, 2013 Craig Fischer rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books
Happy Hippo, Angry Duck is a rhyming early reader, and while it starts off kind of stupid, it wins you over by the time you have to cluck cluck sadly. It has a nice message about friends always being there that I think could have been expounded a bit better, but I really liked the ending with that Angry Duck--I think it would have been better if Sandra would had the other critters trying to be it's friend--while it still remained grumpy, to try and instill the message just a bit more, but I sor ...more
Adam Garcia
Jan 02, 2015 Adam Garcia rated it really liked it
All of Sandra Boynton's books are great for kids. This one delivers but is not her best.
~Jessica~I'm a Hoodie Ninja~
Jun 03, 2015 ~Jessica~I'm a Hoodie Ninja~ rated it it was amazing
Oh the joys of reading this book over 100 times! Toddler Life!
Keshia
Jan 28, 2015 Keshia rated it really liked it
Good book for showing emotions and teaching them.
  • Duck & Goose, Goose Needs a Hug
  • Good Night, I Love You
  • Peek-a-Who?
  • Little Blue Truck Leads the Way
  • Hello, Animals!
Sandra Keith Boynton is a popular American humorist, songwriter, children's author and illustrator. Boynton has written and illustrated more than forty books for both children and adults, as well as over four thousand greeting cards, and four music albums. Although she does not license her characters to be redrawn or adapted, she has herself designed—for various companies—calendars, wallpaper, bed ...more
More about Sandra Boynton...