Start by marking “Amazing Cows: Udder Absurdity for Children” as Want to Read:
Amazing Cows: Udder Absurdity for Children

Amazing Cows: Udder Absurdity for Children

From Sandra Boynton—as it could only come from Boynton—an inventive exuberant jumble of a book for the young reader. Amazing Cows is a picture book, a storybook, a book of fun and games—it’s all those things in one. Plus it even includes a startling recording of Maurice Ravel’s “Bolero Completely Unraveled for Orchestra and Kazoos” performed by Sandra Boynton & The Hig ...more
Published November 18th 2010 by Workman Publishing Company (first published November 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Amazing Cows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Amazing Cows

Megan
Jan 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I first fell in love with cows a few years ago when I read a news article about how Fidel Castro once suggested supplying miniature cows to Cuban families, which could provide them with daily milk and graze their grass for them.

Once I read that, I was enchanted. I liked cows well enough. But miniature cows? There is such a thing?

Oh my gosh, so freakin' cute!! And thus, I fell in love with cows of all sizes. It was only cemented when I visited a local family-operated farm and met Buster, who is
Kelley
Aug 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Cows! Unexplained chickens! And a very confused duck! This was a wonderful book! 🤣
Elizabeth S
Dec 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: n-letslaugh
Cows, cows, cows. I think I'll die laughing. I'm trying to pick my favorite things in this book, but they are all so funny. (Perhaps the Hol-Steinway piano? The Adventures of Amazing Cow? The really-loud chicken and the confusing duck? Or was it a really-loud duck and a confusing chicken?)

Yes, some are funny/dumb, but in a great way. Because it is *meant* to be funny/dumb. And some is funny/clever. And lots is funny/silly. Overall, just pure, unadulterated, wonderful Boynton. A++++.
Patty
Feb 09, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It's cute, but not as clever or witty as I would have liked to see. I was hoping for more facts on cows or better stories, the illustrations were great though.
Liz Hoffman
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I don't add every book I read to my kids, but this one is a treat for Boynton fans! This was a fun mix of poems, stories, and humor!
Cooper Esten
May 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I liked all the funny knock knock jokes. over all I will give it a 4.75.
Potassium
Dec 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This made me laugh. A lot.
Ryan
Sep 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
Erin Reilly-Sanders
Aug 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
This one was both fun and funny, although I would certainly recommend it as a read aloud, perhaps with interactive participants, at least for the knock knock jokes. I particularly enjoyed the subject, being a personal fan of cows, although I do need to point out that several other animals are also featured including chickens, ducks, and pigs, none of which I am adverse to. The variety of material included was very appealing and would be great for a variety of audiences, especially as it could be ...more
Amber Ditullio
Jan 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
Sandra Boynton is my hero. She has the most amazing, most fantastically funny mind of any kids author out there. I was first introduced to her by a friend of mine who had her Philadelphia Chickens CD. And that's when I was hooked. I've loved every board book and every CD that I've been able to find by her. So when I saw that she had a new one out called Amazing Cows!: Udder Absurdity, I knew I had to borrow it from the library. And I don't regret it in the least. There's a little something for e ...more
Alyse
Feb 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
Loved this book. It's udderly amazing!
Slayermel
This is basically a collection of pure cow nonsense. Some of it was very cute and some of it was just so ridiculous that it felt like it was put in just to add another page to the book. I work with kindergarten age children and I can quite honestly say that I think a lot of this stuff would go right over my five year olds heads. They would understand the “Red Rover” story, some of the knock knock jokes, but things like the Album covers would mean nothing to them.
I’m not even going to waste my t
Peacegal
Jun 01, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Awesome cow content to impress any bovine lover, and nary a hamburger joke in sight—and very few about milk. The author recognizes that cows are more than the sum of their (body) parts—thank goodness—and hopefully readers will too after closing this book.

The jokes often work on two levels—there’s enough silliness for the tiniest tots, yet plenty of more sophisticated references for the adults. Bravo!
Alicia
Jun 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I totally get Boynton's sense of humor, although there's some pretty seriously funny stuff in this book! You have to appreciate the benefits of being confident in your knowledge about cows to be able to "make stuff up". I'm convinced that most of this is true...in 'Boynton-land'. Read this book and you'll never be afraid of cows again...unless you aren't...but some people are...but you eat ice cream right? Are you afraid of chickens, too?
Cricket Muse
Oct 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
As a cow afficiando and a Boynton, Amazing Cows is a big hit. It says its for children, but honestly, I don't think kidlets are truly going to get all of the deliciously silly humor Boynton so effortlessly provides. Her illustrations are winsome and the writing is almost so. Someone does need to pass on to Boynton that cows are "she" not "he" otherwise she would be accused of promoting bull.
Blair Conrad
Jan 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic! Tonnes of hilarity on nearly every page. If I had to pick something to complain, about, it'd be that the "Red Rover" game's ending was a tad predictable. And there could've been a few more hippos. Seriously though, this is great book, with amusing bits for children of all ages. Do yourself a favour and pick it up.
Roxanne
Apr 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Reread this in August 2018. Still amazing. My daughter laughs so hard at this book.

Original review: My daughter LOVED this. She keeps looking at it over and over. I would love to see more Boynton books for older kids.
Beth
Aug 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The boys, who grew up on Boynton, thought this book was hilarious, especially Red Rover (I liked that one, too -- all the names! Reminds me of Fifteen Animals). Good, silly stuff here for graduates of board books.
Victoria Whipple
Dec 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
What an amoosing offering by Boynton. This is a silly book full of cow jokes, stories, poems and puns--not to mention the loud chicken and confusing duck. Read this out loud, read it alone, but read it to laugh and have fun!
Jan 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So silly and fun! A collection of cow jokes, stories, comics... you name it. And random chickens. Ha. This is a unique book... does Sandra Boynton have others like this one? If not, she should. Maybe a chicken book this time. (With random cows...)
Kiirsi Hellewell
Mar 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone and everyone!
This book is TERRIFIC!! So very hilarious and clever, and terrific illustrations, as always from Sandra B. My kids (ages 8, 10, and 12) sat enthralled while I read the whole thing out loud to them. The "Red Rover" story is one of the funniest stories ever written.
Megan
Jan 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Fans of Sandray Boynton will immediately recognize her signature style, although the humor may be over the heads of the board book crowd. A collection of stories and jokes, readers could pick this up and start anywhere and be amused.
Lorna
Mar 07, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: kid-lit
Kind of a hit-and-miss collection -- LOL funny parts and some just so-so, but I can't resist Sandra Boynton. And of course, now I have Cows from Philadelphia Chickens running through my head!
Jeanette Glazewski
This book was exactly what the doctor ordered. The four year and I laughed. I am pretty sure I laughed harder at some of the humor. As always expected from a Boynton lots of fun, humor, colorful pages and just plain silliness.
Robin
Jan 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
I love Sandra Boynton!
Andrew
Dec 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Moo.
Christopher
Jul 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was UDDER chaos!(Ha, ha, ha.)
Miss Ryoko
Hilarious! Absolutely loved it!I'm familiar with Sandra Boynton's work due to my work place, but this was just fabulous! I loved every page of it!
Amanda
Dec 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
we can't get enough of sandra's books. This one was so fun. Meant for older kids, but we still had fun reading it to our baby.
wildct2003
Aug 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
(Cover of my edition is a bit different--for "all ages up to a hundred and moo", different cover look as well.)

Entertaining cow-themed stories, jokes and much, much more.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Sandra Keith Boynton is a popular American humorist, songwriter, children's author and illustrator. Boynton has written and illustrated more than forty books for both children and adults, as well as over four thousand greeting cards, and four music albums. Although she does not license her characters to be redrawn or adapted, she has herself designed—for various companies—calendars, wallpaper, bed ...more