Start by marking “Platón y un ornitorrinco entran en un bar...” as Want to Read:
Platón y un ornitorrinco entran en un bar...

Platón y un ornitorrinco entran en un bar...

3.78  ·  Rating details ·  9,767 Ratings  ·  1,247 Reviews
Heres a lively, hilarious, not-so-reverent crash course through the great philosophical traditions, schools, concepts, and thinkers. Its Philosophy 101 for everyone who knows not to take all this heavy stuff too seriously. Some of the Big Ideas are Existentialism (what do Hegel and Bette Midler have in common?), Philosophy of Language (how to express what its like being st ...more
Published 2009 by Booket (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Platón y un ornitorrinco entran en un bar..., please sign up.

AndreaSoler Sure you can. I bougth it on a bookshop and read it. It's quite a funny expirience.

Manny
DIMITRI: They laughed when we said we'd write a book explaining philosophy entirely through jokes.

TASSO: Well, they're not laughing now!
Tieu uyen
Là thế này, một hôm 2 anh tác giả buồn đời vì hết tiền, vào quán bar tán láo và làm li giải sầu. lúc ngà ngà, anh Tom nói với anh Dan, "anh biết triết học là gì không?" "là dùng đám ngôn từ phức tạp để nói về những điều đơn giản." "Yeap, tôi có kế hoạch kiếm tiền để dành cho về hưu đây, tham gia ko?". Dan thì đang chật vật về tiền, nghe thế như bắt được vàng: "kế hoạch gì?" "dựa trên việc chúng ta có cái mác tốt nghiệp triết học Harvard và anh chuyên đi viết truyện cười." "ồ thế là chúng ta sưu ...more
Ryan Louis
May 26, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Although I appreciate the philosophical crash course, couldn't the authors consider more jokes (a rough eye-balling might equate about 90% of them) that aren't at the expense of women?

I suppose their section on "Feminist Philosophy" aims to answer nay-sayers. No answers for this reader, though. I don't appreciate jokesters who hide behind a cloud of "politically incorrect feminism" then chastise an audience they purport won't get their jokes.

Boo.

Not sure why it's still so acceptable to tell "Je
Nandakishore Varma
Jokes can be highly philosophical. I remember a famous comedy scene from a Malayalam movie, where a guy is bemoaning that he is ugly. He had been switched at birth: so his consolation is - "But this is not the real me: the real me is fair and handsome, living somewhere else with his foster parents..."

A classic example of a philosophical answer to the question - "Who/ what art thou?"

This book is filled with similar jokes, which the authors link to various philosophical schools of thought. Some of
Sarah Sammis
Sep 26, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: released
Plato and a Platypus Walk into a Bar... Understanding Philosophy Through Jokes by Thomas Catchart and Daniel Klein is a beautifully constructed and deceptively short book. It's one of those books that is nice to hold, nice to flip through and nice to read random snippets from. The jokes come in handy for the random reading approach.

But... this book is also a very solid introduction to philosophy and logic. If read slowly and thoroughly, one can learn a solid foundation of the important principal
Tuyen Tran
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: phylosophy
Tập truyện cười đấy, chẳng có triết có trát gì đâu.

Có những chuyện cũng vui lắm:
Đồng chí God gọi Đam và Va lên tặng mỗi người một món quà.
- món thứ nhất là có thể đái khi đứng? Ai muốn nào?
Đam nói liền:
- đứng đái? The sound is great! Super cool! Con lấy.
God mỉm cười:
- you got it! Món kia cho bé Va nhé - cực khoái nhiều lần.

Tào lao lắm luôn :))

Snowfire
Sep 03, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book has two critical flaws: it's not funny and it's not informative. This... is bad. I'd be fine with funny jokes that are kind of irrelevant in a humor-focused book, or not-all-that-funny jokes that nevertheless illustrated a philosophical point well in a "make learning fun!" textbook. Yet this book manages neither. It really should not have sold as well as it did.

Shame, because this *kind* of book is totally up my alley. Just... it's such a shallow overview of philosophies, and often tim
Andy
Feb 17, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: amateur philosophers
Recommended to Andy by: My mother
This is definitely a "light read." It touches upon a lot of different philosophical ideas, sprinkled with jokes (most funny, some hilarious) that bear some link to the topic at hand. For example, in a discussion of existential angst, we get this zinger (p.120):
Norman began to hyperventilate when he saw the doctor. "I'm sure I've got liver disease."
"That's ridiculous," said the doctor. "You'd never know if you had liver disease. There's no discomfort of any kind."
"Exactly!" said Norman. "Those a
Petra Eggs
The jokes are a bit lame and the main premises of each philosopher are really skirted over. Nonetheless, a good gag-gift for a student embarking on a philosophy class, for any business-type person you can't think what to buy and to put in the bathroom, to glance at occasionally. (And then to come out and bore everyone with the latest old codswallop joke you've read).
Chris
Jan 14, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, philosophy
Like most Liberal Arts undergrads, I took a few philosophy courses while I was in college. In fact, my sophomore philosophy final has the distinction of being the only one I have ever actually slept through. My roommate woke me up at 11:30 and said, "Didn't you have a final this morning?" I don't remember anything between that moment and arriving in the professor's office, apologizing profusely.

The point is, philosophy never really made an impact on me. I mean, I get it - Philosophy is supposed
Mattomic
I was neither stunned nor utterly disappointed by this one. It's essentially a book full of some pretty awful jokes (lots of groaners in this one, folks) that will resonate most with those with a background in philosophy. It definitely will not teach the newbie/uninitiated enough about the various philosophical disciplines and schools to be able to use that knowledge in any intelligent manner in a conversation at the local bar or philosophy meet up. Nevertheless, this was a fairly quick, light-h ...more
Rosie Nguyễn
Mar 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book is about philosophy. And I didn't understand a thing. But I laughed a lot. Guess it's enough for a good book, yah?
Marvin
Aug 21, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, humor
An eighty year old woman burst into the men's room at the retirement home. She holds her clenched fist in the air and announces "Anyone who can guess what I have in my hand can have sex with me tonight"!

An old man in the back shouts "An elephant."

The old woman thinks for a moment and says "Close enough!"

I wish I had this fast and easy read when I took my first college philosophy class. The professor droned through the subject like he was on downers (he probably was) and the only thing of substan
Anita
Feb 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this book! Checked it out from the library but going to buy it for sure.

Thomas Cathcart and Daniel Klein are Harvard philosophy majors who understand that the rest of us don't know what the hell Nietzsche is talking about. They break the discipline down into its major strands, mixing clever and comical descriptions with hilarious jokes that show the true essence of each philosophy. Read below to see what I mean:

Phenomenology- understanding the human experience as it is lived rather than obj
Philippe Malzieu
How to explain the success of philosophy? The philosophers became stars of the mediae. They have an opinion on all the subjects. Their books are sold well.
In France, there are at least about ten monthly magazines which speak about it, and often well. They broach banal subjects of quotidian life and they analyze thus by using from Plato to Heidegger. It is undoubtedly the origin of success.
In our society in lack of references, the readers seeks values which make sense. To speak philosophy start
Amy
Apr 25, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Amy by: Adam, I think
It doesn't take much to make me laugh. I will literally laugh at just about anything...but I only laughed out loud ONCE while reading this book. That is how un-funny it was. The jokes are either old and well-worn or so vulgar I almost didn't finish. It fails in the comedy department.
But! This is a book about philosophy, right? Eh, even there I was disappointed. This is a very brief look at different philosophical branches. If you've taken a Gen Ed philosophy course, this will be old hat. I'd gi
Thanh Nguyen
Doug
Oct 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This delivers all that it promises. On Existentialism:
you haven't lived until you think about death all the time".

Customer in a restaurant: How do you prepare your chickens?
Cook: Oh, nothing special really. We just tell them they're gonna die. Joke:>)
Pg 125

On the philosophy of religion:

Jesus was walking through the streets when he noticed a crowd of people throwing stones at an adulteress. Jesus said/"Let whosoever is without sin cast the first stone." Suddenly a rock flew through the air.
Joanne
Sep 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Philosophers-in-training and gophers.
Recommended to Joanne by: Mom
Rob
Aug 25, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
Good for a few laughs, but ultimately rather shallow. Many of the philosophical explanations are forced, since the authors are laboring under the need to relate them to the jokes they tell. Might serve as an entertaining introduction to philosophy for those who aren't interested, but other than that it's just the very basics.
Teijo Aflecht
Oct 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought it was a rather funny limited Philosophy 101. The jokes were woven into explanatory portions for the most part, although sometimes there was too much joke and not enough narration. The jokes were right down my alley though, usually "stupid" (certainly if you ask my less-amused partner) and containing a relatively simple punchline, but they reflected the philosophical ideas very well.
Pelin
Mar 24, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Bazı fıkraları beğendim, felsefe temeline dair bilgimi de tazelemiş oldum, hatta çoğu kitabın tam olarak anlatamadığı "ding an sich" ve " koan" gibi kavramları daha iyi oturttum. Ama bazı fıkralar doğaları gereği çok cinsiyetçi geldi bana. Neofeminist fıkrada bile eşitlik değil "zeki sarışın" olgusu vardı. Yine de fikri beğendiğim ve akılda kalıcı bulduğum için diğer kitaba da bir şans vereceğim.
Jadi
Oct 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cool book to read but you should have prior knowledge about the concepts to enjoy the book. It is not an educational book IMO.
Arvind
A good short breezy introduction to philosophy - Existenialism, ethics, metaphysics, utilitarianism etc etc For the philosophy part 4/5
Wish the jokes would have been fresher and better- Jokes 2/5
A pleasant read. Will be reading all by this author.
William
May 13, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Life is essentially absurd, and philosophy is not far behind.

That seems to be the impression one gets from reading "Plato and a Platypus Walk into a Bar", by Thomas Cathcart and Daniel Klein, who deliver a quick survey of western philosophy using jokes. Yes, those stupid, absurd expressions of illogic that can also be profound and meaningful.

From Metaphysics to Meta-Philosophy, Cathcart and Klein explain the simple nuances and wrinkles of thought. Each philosophical concept gets its own punch
Dũng Nguyễn
Cũng được!

Mình bắt đầu cuốn này với kỳ vọng hơi cao: trước đó đã biết tới sách qua mấy đứa bạn, rồi được recommend đọc từ một thành viên trong nhóm đọc sách của mình.

Plato và con thú mỏ vịt bước vào quán bar, như tên gọi: Hiểu Triết học thông qua truyện cười. Nhưng như một review ở trên này, dường như tiêu đề theo hướng ngược lại thì đúng hơn: Hiểu truyện cười thông qua triết học. 2 tác giả lướt qua về rất nhiều nhánh trong triết học, mỗi nhánh đều có một hai câu chuyện nhằm diễn giải cho người
Jan-Maat
Introduction to philosophy with a joke on every page. Read it a while ago, can't remember any of the philosophy but I remember a joke about Moses and Jesus playing golf which I thought was rather good.

(view spoiler)
Bashir Alsamani
Sep 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
كتاب مسلي يوضح بعض المفاهيم الفلسفية على مر التاريخ في شكل نكات.
Timothy
Dec 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a lot easier to learn something tough when you are joking around... your mind is too distracted to know it is picking up knowledge along the way.
Nhat Tong
Jun 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant. This book has shed some light on my stupid mind. Now I become really aware of my words and behaviours. Fuck.
Freud Puns? 2 19 Jul 23, 2016 06:50AM
Favourite jokes 3 54 Nov 24, 2012 03:06PM
  • Monty Python and Philosophy: Nudge Nudge, Think Think!
  • The Pig That Wants to Be Eaten: 100 Experiments for the Armchair Philosopher
  • Do You Think What You Think You Think?
  • Socrates Cafe: A Fresh Taste of Philosophy
  • Saussure for Beginners
  • The Dream of Reason: A History Of Philosophy From The Greeks To The Renaissance
  • Why Sh*t Happens: The Science of a Really Bad Day
  • Life, Sex and Ideas: The Good Life Without God
  • Stop Me If You've Heard This: A History and Philosophy of Jokes
  • Mind: A Brief Introduction
  • Travels with Epicurus: A Journey to a Greek Island in Search of a Fulfilled Life
  • Breakfast with Socrates: An Extraordinary (Philosophical) Journey Through Your Ordinary Day
  • De Profundis, The Ballad of Reading Gaol & Other Writings
  • The Making of a Philosopher: My Journey Through Twentieth-Century Philosophy
  • Between Existentialism and Marxism
  • Foucault for Beginners
  • The Basis of Morality
  • Ophelia Joined the Group Maidens Who Don't Float: Classic Lit Signs on to Facebook
Thomas Cathcart and Daniel Klein wrote the bestselling Plato and a Platypus Walk into a Bar: Understanding Philosophy Through Jokes, which will be translated into more than a dozen languages. Not bad for a couple of philosophy majors from Harvard who tried on various careers after graduation. Tom worked with street gangs in Chicago, doctors at Blue Cross and Blue Shield, and dropped in and out of ...more
More about Thomas Cathcart...

“Some have argued that because the universe is like a clock, there must be a Clockmaker. As the eighteenth-century British empiricist David Hume pointed out, this is a slippery argument, because there is nothing that is really perfectly analogous to the universe as a whole, unless it's another universe, so we shouldn't try to pass off anything that is just a part of this universe. Why a clock anyhow? Hume asks. Why not say the universe is analogous to a kangaroo? After all, both are organically interconnected systems. But the kangaroo analogy would lead to a very different conclusion about the origin of the universe: namely, that it was born of another universe after that universe had sex with a third universe. ” 24 likes
“Sorting out what's good and bad is the province of ethics. It is also what keeps priests, pundits, and parents busy. Unfortunately, what keeps children and philosophers busy is asking the priests, pundits and parents, "Why?” 6 likes