Start by marking “Book Yourself Solid: The Fastest, Easiest, and Most Reliable System for Getting More Clients Than You Can Handle Even If You Hate Marketing and Selling” as Want to Read:

3.93  ·  Rating details ·  5,595 Ratings  ·  143 Reviews
The new edition of the bestselling business development guide Book Yourself Solid, Second Edition reveals why self-promotion is a critical factor to success, giving you a unique perspective that makes this guide much more than an ordinary "how to" manual for getting more clients and raising a business profile.

Book Yourself Solid, Second Edition enables you to adopt the rig
Published December 21st 2010 by Wiley (first published April 1st 2006)

Kevin
Jun 04, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: celebrated-crap
"Snake Oil for the Empirically Impaired"

So friends, let me tell you how much I hated this book that I did not finish and won't: take your pick as to which (if any) gets your attention.

a) I kept it several extra days from the library to carve out the time to write this review.
b) It is one of the very few books (I was an English major, and have a catholic reading taste) I refused to finish. The only one that comes to mind as being as unintentionally ridiculous and celebrated (for very different re
Josh Patrick
Apr 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business, sales
I would have given this book five stars if Mr. Port had not promoted his services at least once a chapter. I get it, he wants to show how his methodology works. At the same time, I got the point. Mr. Port promotes opt in marketing while using push marketing during the entire book.

Now, on to the book itself. You need to read this book if you're in a professional service business. There is great nugget after great nugget that you can use. I suspect that if you only use 10% of what's in this book,
Farnoosh Brock
Apr 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business-spirit
Most honest, USEFUL, brilliant & Actionable book & I AM getting booked solid!

Since I first heard about Michael Port, I changed the way I have my conversations with my clients, I became fully self-expressed and totally honest, I said no to lousy clients, I raised my rates 3 times, I shared my package pricing on my website for full transparency, and I am getting booked a lot more frequently.

I am still not even done with his book - I am doing the workbook and seriously paying attention to e
Trevor
Feb 21, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010, business
Michael Port begins his book practically: "[T:]here may be two simple reasons why you don't serve as many clients as you'd to today. You either don't know what to do to attract and secure more clients or you know what to do but you're not actually doing it" (p. xxvii).

In the pages that follow, he unpacks his "Booked Solid System" to which he ascribes the power to solve both of those stated problems.

Contrasting "old school" and "new school" marketing methods, he writes, "[Many:] have come to beli
Stacey Moore
Jan 23, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any service professional.
Shelves: business, marketing
I have recommended this book to many people...all have thanked me. More than a typical treatise on how to create a lead funnel, it is about serving with integrity and being rewarded for doing what you love. If you are a service professional wanting to acquire clients, read it.
Chuck
Nov 14, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I had great hopes for this book. Alas, it is a rehash of the old, long discredited "Do what you love and the money will follow."

But wait! The author has found THE secret formula, and once you finish his book, you can take a course and get "certified" to make money teaching others the secret formula.

And after that, I guess we'll all get rich raising llamas.

Gabriela
Oct 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In 'Book Yourself Solid', Michael Port offers a manual that shows how any professional in the business of offering services can start and grow a profitable business. The book entails over 200 marketing techniques aimed at generating clients, obtaining more referrals and building a fruitful relationship with your existing clients.

I like the fact that this book takes a conversational tone so that the author uses simple language without the jargon. The book begins by differentiating between the tra
Amy Landino
Aug 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you are a service provider and looking to improve on yourself and grow your business, this book is an absolute staple for your education. I insist you download the free chapter on your Kindle so that you can be convinced to buy it yourself. It has been one of the Top 2 resources to help me grow my client base and increase business.
Rachel Y
Jun 22, 2014 rated it it was ok
The first half of this was interesting and worthwhile but the second half was too outdated to be compelling. It's amazing to realize how much social media has changed business. Ended up skimming starting at the referral chapter.
Chad Warner
Dec 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: salespeople, marketers, entrepreneurs, service professionals, business owners
Recommended to Chad by: Goodreads
This is one of the best sales and marketing books for service professionals that I’ve read. It walks you through how to define your target market, build credibility, and promote/market in various ways. The written exercises and action steps encourage application. It’s logically organized and easy to read.

Topics include personal branding, talking about what you do, selling, networking, direct outreach, referrals, web, speaking, writing, and keeping in touch.

I like Port’s non-sleazy approach to sa
John Kenworthy
Jun 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: coaching
This visual version is a great improvement on the original book - which was good. The ease of following the ideas in Michael Port's book to develop a new, or existing professional service business means that anyone can do it.

I particularly like the access to templates and the app to use to actually do what the book recommends to create a clear plan of your target market, what you offer to them and why and then how to market effectively.

Highly recommended for anyone in professional service busine
Julia Doherty
Jan 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book after a recommendation from Michael Hyatt. I must admit, I read every single word but there was really nothing new for me but it was a good prompt to highlight things that I really should be doing.

One thing that did annoy me a little bit was the constant plug of his own material, seminars, workshops, carts etc. I intend to write a book this year and I've made a mental note to not self promote as much, so a valuable lesson learned here.

Overall, I would recommend thus book.
Darrin Holst
meh...It was ok. The last couple chapters taught me how to use twitter and create a blog. Probably not as useful as it could have been considering my current employment status.
Wendy
Oct 24, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Finally finished it - It got boring to me - I think I could have written most of this myself. Hmmmm........
Noah Graham
Jul 26, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Port will inform you that if people like you and you’re good at your job, you will have many customers.
After listening to him I don’t like him. And being likeable is his job. So I wouldn’ Take his advice on how to improve either of those things.
Margot Note
"When you're fully self-expressed, fully demonstrating your values and your views, you'll naturally attract and draw to yourself those you're best suited to work with, and you'll push away those you're not meant to work with" (13).

"Begin to view your role with your clients as that of a highly important and trusted advisor. You have a moral obligation to offer your services to those who need them. To do anything other than counsel, advise, guide, and coach your clients would be a huge disservice
rochdi rais
Jan 06, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
this can be a good starter for a beginner, but the informations are very basic and repeated, the author is obsess over his theory of book yourself, and the title and everything that comes with it is misleading
Cody
Oct 26, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An OK read, probably better for someone else. I was fast-weary of how every idea and concept was branded the Book Yourself Solid [fill-in-the-blank] System™. It diluted the ideas and displayed the author's ego in a glass case. Additionally, there was sometimes a disconnect between the content and the author, as he openly contradicted his own concepts and broke his own rules several times chapter to chapter. At the end of the book, he addresses the reader, writing "I love you," which was weird si ...more
Tonja
Jan 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've actually read this book in two formats - the first run, all text, and the updated "illustrated" version. The concepts on both were fundamentally the same in my opinion, but I also feel you need to be the right type of person to glean anything from this method.

You need to be self started enough to actually do the work, but you need to be humble enough to accept guidance. I will say there is nothing revolutionary here - there rarely is in business books - but I personally liked the frank and
Curtismchale
Sep 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my fourth or fifth time going through Book Yourself Solid, but honestly only my third time doing the work in the book. For all the awesome stuff it offer’s it’s a lot of work.

Book Yourself Solid gives it’s entire premise away in the title. The whole goal of the book is for you to learn how to get booked solid.

It starts by helping you build a ‘velvet rope policy’ where you identify your ideal clients and then build a process to only let them through your velvet rope to work with you.

Most
David Bradley
Jul 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
BYS was an awesome read for anyone offering services (although, product-based businesses can learn a bit as well). Very well written - clear, concise, and engaging. It's geared towards those in business for a while but it's great for those starting their own service-based business. Definitely recommend reading.
Kelsey Jones
May 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a little outdated in the web part, esp if you're in marketing like me. but the rest was extremely, extremely valuable and the book has heavy highlighting and dog-eared pages, which is always a good sign.
Randy Fox
Aug 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help
This book far surpassed my expectations. There are real, useful, implementable ideas that will work to help grow almost any business. It could take a lifetime to get everything in place but doing just 10% of the suggestions will make a huge difference
Laurie
May 26, 2009 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Unbelieveable! I have been going through this book with a book club and it is a major business generator. I have a group of friends that I am moving through it with chapter by chapter and it has really made a difference. I am going to definitely buy the next book.
John Jamieson
This is a good book for the beginner or intermediate business owners looking to build their brand.
Jamie
*Read up to chapter 6.
Allan Laal
soo salesy.. but I guess practice what you preach. 95% of this book is just filler (poorly) copied (and not referenced) from actual authors, this book was clearly written as a sales tool. It is ironic that the author suggests the best way to seem knowledgeable about a topic is to be a master in it - when clearly the author has not applied this to several chapters so poorly written, that they do less damage when skipped.
still, this poor attempt of a book made me remember and rethink multiple idea
Tyrel Clayton
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: be-better
Excellent book. Michael Port tells you exactly what his process will get you - and then delivers on that promise. He breaks it down into a step by step process of easily manageable pieces, with specific questions to ask and answer. The process will help you figure out what exactly you are selling (solutions to specific problems), who you are selling it to, how to develop products that make you money in your sleep, how to find your ideal clients, and multiple means of marketing to those clients. ...more
Dec 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The visual breakdowns make this book worthwhile. Business books often have advice that doesn't leave you with much to dig into, this book leaves you with finished plans and actionable steps you can take.

The last 1/3rd was incomplete and at the time I read it the app the author mentions was not available. But the first 2/3rds more than makes up for it. Definitely worth working through the exercises for.
Julie
Sep 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A more spiritually aligned business book that comes from a place of self-confidence and -empowerment. I really liked listening to this, and I think the author gave some concrete tips and tactics for booking yourself solid, no matter what your business. Worth a listen for those interested in the topic.
  • Get Clients Now!: A 28-Day Marketing Program for Professionals, Consultants, and Coaches
  • Duct Tape Marketing: The World's Most Practical Small Business Marketing Guide
  • Little Black Book of Connections: 6.5 Assets for Networking Your Way to Rich Relationships
  • Creating Customer Evangelists
  • Love Is the Killer App: How to Win Business and Influence Friends
  • The Wealthy Freelancer
  • What Clients Love: A Field Guide to Growing Your Business
  • Million Dollar Consulting: the Professional's Guide to Growing a Practice
  • Smart Calling: Eliminate the Fear, Failure, and Rejection from Cold Calling
  • How to Sell Your Way Through Life
  • Flawless Consulting: A Guide to Getting Your Expertise Used
  • The Millionaire Messenger: Make a Difference and a Fortune Sharing Your Advice
  • Endless Referrals: Network Your Everyday Contacts into Sales
  • The Big Moo: Stop Trying to Be Perfect and Start Being Remarkable
  • Escape from Cubicle Nation: From Corporate Prisoner to Thriving Entrepreneur
  • The E-Myth Contractor: Why Most Contractors' Businesses Don't Work and What to Do About It
  • The Win Without Pitching Manifesto
  • Inbound Marketing: Get Found Using Google, Social Media, and Blogs
“We don’t get contacts, we don’t find contacts, we don’t have contacts; we make connections with real people.” 3 likes
“you are the company you keep.” 1 likes