Start by marking “Aunt Dimity and the Family Tree (Aunt Dimity Mystery, #16)” as Want to Read:
Aunt Dimity and the Family Tree (Aunt Dimity Mystery, #16)

Aunt Dimity and the Family Tree

(Aunt Dimity Mystery #16)

Cozy lovers' favorite otherworldly detective cracks a classic country-house case.
In Atherton's sixteenth mystery, Lori Shepherd returns from Down Under to her normal life in the village of Finch. But Lori's normal quickly becomes anything but.
Her debonair father-in-law has moved to town and is renovating Fairworth House, a grand estate nearby. William Sr. expects a qui
Published February 17th 2011 by Viking Books (first published December 10th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Aunt Dimity and the Family Tree, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Aunt Dimity and the Family Tree

Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder by Joanne FlukeMurder at the Vicarage by Agatha ChristieThe Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan BradleyThe No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall SmithThe Mysterious Affair at Styles by Agatha Christie
Best Cozy Mystery Series
1,845 books — 2,065 voters
Watership Down by Richard  AdamsThe Tale of Peter Rabbit by Beatrix PotterThe Velveteen Rabbit by Margery Williams BiancoAlice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis CarrollBunnicula by Deborah Howe
Rabbits
274 books — 78 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Aunt Dimity and the Family Tree (Aunt Dimity Mystery, #16)
Suzanne
Totally Enjoyed

This was my first Aunt Dimity book and it won't be my last.
I loved the way the ghost of Aunt Dimity is portrayed. A very unique concept.
And since this is my first book I read in the series it was like reading a stand alone yet at the same time I can read early books to find out how Lori and Bill met and how Lori discovered Aunt Dimity.

So much book fun to look forward to.
And an English Seed Cake recipe.
Trish
Sep 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The perfect antidote to the hard emotion of Wild Swans. ...more
Pam
Feb 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
I liked this one more than several of the last ones. Finally, Lori has grown up and stopped falling for every man around. This one is set in Finch, so we get to see and hear some of the town's characters. I thought the plot was a little contrived. I knew as soon as Sally became Lady Sarah that the gentleman she had met was also pretending to be "better" than he was. The parallel of Frederick and Reginald was interesting.

Still, keep the mysteries coming, Nancy!
✨ Gramy ✨
This series offers cozy mysteries with amusing and quirky characters, in the life of Lori and her Aunt Dimity. Each one has been a fun and entertaining read to be sure.

It is appreciated that each book is able to stand on its own and usually concludes with an HEA.
Mayda
Apr 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, cozy
If you are looking for a genuine, cozy mystery, one that will keep your interest without resorting to any of the blood and gore so often found now, even in cozies, look no further than Nancy Atherton’s latest installment in her Aunt Dimity series, Aunt Dimity & the Family Tree. Lori Shepherd is at her best, taking care of her family, helping her father-in-law at his newly renovated manor, and keeping one step ahead of the gossipy townsfolk. It’s up to Aunt Dimity to slow down Lori’s impetuousnes ...more
Ann aka Iftcan
Mar 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This latest in the lite Aunt Dimity series is much like all the others. We read this series not for the mystery (non-existant) but for the weird characters that abound in the tiny hamlet of Finch, England. All the zany inhabitants are back, along with a few new ones, including William Willis, Sr. who has finally retired (sort-of) and moved to Finch to be close to his beloved grandsons.
Sarah Coller
Jul 25, 2017 rated it liked it
I think this is the sixth Aunt Dimity book I've read/attempted. It's definitely on the higher end of the scale when it comes to rating the Aunt Dimitys...but still pretty low on my list of favorites, in general. I've always found this author to be pretty inconsistent quality-wise. In some places, she's brilliant; in others, there are obvious inconsistencies. No one is perfect, I know, but this is such a regular thing for this author that one would think her editor would be more on the ball. One ...more
Meg
Jan 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved this great British cozy set in the small village of Finch. 4.5*
Nancy
Nov 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
I love this series; it is like comfort food for me.

No matter how much Lori Shepherd says her instincts tell her something I have to giggle since her “instincts” have gotten her turned so far around, she never comes to the correct conclusion without the helpfulness of her friends and family, not to mention her dearest companion Aunt Dimity herself.

Since this is book number sixteen in the series, I recommend that you start at the beginning to find out who exactly Dimity is and how their lives are
Jessie
How lovely that Nancy Atherton has bought Lori and Aunt Dimity home to the landscape that is very much a character of the novels. She's also brought Lori back to her basic family-centered, Bill-loving base, though Bill is still little more than a glorified support mechanism, conveniently being called away on business when Lori must become deeply enmeshed in the goings on. At least there is no awkwardly contrived almost-love-interest for Lori this time. I still believe that Lori would benefit fro ...more
Kim
Jul 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Love this series. It is on the cozy side, but avoids being cutesy. Does have magic realism (or whathaveyou) but is fun, charming, and interesting. There are few murders in this series, but it still maintains the suspense level with the secrets held by everyone. Recommended if you're looking for a more lighthearted mystery and if you're a fan of the English brand of cozy.
Nancy Ellis
Mar 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
More new characters are introduced in this episode, freshening things up a bit and keeping it one of the most enjoyable series available. Lori's father-in-law plays a larger part as he renovates an estate near Lori's family. Once again, I read this in one sitting. It was so much fun I didn't want to put it down, and these books are very relaxing to read.
Miki
Jan 14, 2011 rated it it was ok
This has been one of my favorite series, but I truly believe that it has run its course. The last five or six just haven't been as fun to read. Lori is becoming close to hysteria in her obsession for jumping to conclusions that are nearly always wrong. And I miss the covers with Reginald!
Patricia
Mar 30, 2011 rated it liked it
Ah, an Aunt Dimity book. A guilty pleasure. This one seemed a bit predictable to me, but then again, it is something like book 16 in the series so perhaps I'm finally catching on but do I read it for the "mystery,, or to keep up with the characters? Ah well, I enjoyed it, anyway.
Alissa
Mar 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
It's quite refreshing to read a mystery that doesn't include a dead body! Several parts of this book made me laugh out loud. If you love the Aunt Dimity series, you'll enjoy this one.
Mary
Mar 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
There is something about these books that entice me to chuck it all and move to the Cotswolds. Once there, I'm sure I would go crazy, so it's nice to have these books as a temporary escape.
The Flooze
Feb 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Someone save Willis, Sr., from the village widows!
Annie
Sep 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
If you're looking for a sweet mystery series, give Aunt Dimity a try. #16 involves a romantic charade and family heirlooms.
Cara W
Aug 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Aunt Dimity's father in law has renovated and moved into a nearby estate in Finch, to be close to the grandkids. The ladies of the village are crazy about having an eligible bachelor in town. A side story develops - one of the town ladies, Sally, has come back from a Mexico vacation having posed as a noble woman in Mexico, catching a Mexican businessman. Willis Sr agrees to allow Sally to pose as the Lady Sarah at his new estate. Willis Sr also gets two servants - a married couple - that Lori is ...more
Marty
Nov 03, 2018 rated it liked it
This is one of a series of books in which Aunt Dimity appears. Actually, she doesn’t “appear” … She died and left her cottage in England to the daughter of an American friend. Lori and her husband now live in “Aunt Dimity’s cottage.” Lori’s father-in-law, William, a well-established international lawyer now also lives nearby in a wonderful old 10 acre estate. In the close-knit village of Finch everyone knows everyone else’s business.. but when one of the town’s elderly widows wins a vacation in ...more
Karen A. Wyle
Mar 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: paranormal, mystery
I tend to have a few quibbles with the books in this series, much as I enjoy them, but I can only think of one for this installment: I wasn't 100% convinced by the revelation concerning one character. But there are plenty of other revelations, some particularly piquant, and the resolutions of the plot threads are satisfying.

Once again, we spend time with both old and new characters, with the familiar ones particularly nicely rendered. More than ever, we are immersed in the interconnected and gos
Tammy
Lori plays host to her father-in-law, William's open house to show the village of Finch how he has restored but updated Fairworth House. Among some knick-knacks found in an outside shed is a painting covered is soot, that William insists should be professional restored as a piece of the house's history even if the painting itself isn't worth anything. In the meantime, William is also trying to hire some servants and protect the reputation of one of Finch's leading citizens. Aunt Dimity lends her ...more
Erin Collier
Jul 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
Adorable!!!!! I just love all the characters. They are simple but colorful and fill up the small town of Finch with stereotypical small town people. Which isn't a bad thing! This was my first Aunt Dimity novel so she was quite the surprise. And "Lori" I still have my childhood mouse sitting on my bed! I love the ending. It's nice to read a story with simplicity and a happy ending. It was like a cup of tea!
Marley
Aug 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Again I liked the premise. I like the characters, but I still don't like Lori much. In my previous review (Buried Treasure) I called her a bit of a prig. In this entry, written before that book, she comes across as a bit of a snob. My problem with that is that I don't belief she is supposed to be interpreted as such.

Unfortunately it looks like these 2 books are the only ones at my branch library, so I will have to look round.

Michele
Sep 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
An embellished story while on vacation involving a handsome stranger, a miraculous, too good to be true couple arrive as housekeepers and nosy neighbors in a small English village....what more could you ask? Add in great characters and a fun plot....and your afternoon is gone, but the book is finished!
Candice Riley
Nov 30, 2017 rated it did not like it
I'm sorry to say this, but despite the potential of Aunt Dimity's story line, this book was awful. I want my time back. I'm really sorry to say this since I always try to give books a chance. It was repetitive, nonsensical, uninteresting and difficult to get through. I don't think I'll ever read another in this series again.
diana romano
Apr 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Aunt Dimity Mystery book 14

This is another winner. I just love this series and this author. She writes wonderful characters you would like to meet. Great storylines in every book. I highly recommend this series to everyone who loves cozy mysteries and ghost stories. Diana Romano
Peter Barr
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a terrific cozy mystery. It was certainly no procedural mystery. There is a lot of fun in the story and the conclusion is a bit of a surprise. The story has a couple of new characters and they seem to be perfect for future events if needed. The old characters are carrying out the story as well.
Whi
Jul 11, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: aunt-dimity
Terry
Aug 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a fun Aunt Dimity! Just love a mystery that keeps me guessing, not to mention laughing, especially in the sometimes-so-obvious-world of Aunt Dimity! When Lori’s father-in-law refurbishes an old estate, chaos ensues on many levels. One of the better Dimity’s!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Madison Mega-Mara...: Aunt Dimity and the Family Tree 1 2 Dec 04, 2012 05:38AM

• Love and Murder in Savannah (The Southern Sleuth #1)
  • Two for Sorrow (Josephine Tey, #3)
  • Better Late Than Never (Library Lover's Mystery, #7)
  • Killer in the Carriage House (Victorian Village Mysteries #2)
  • Miss Julia to the Rescue (Miss Julia #13)
  • Claw Enforcement (Second Chance Cat Mystery #7)
  • Death by Chocolate Frosted Doughnut (Death by Chocolate Mystery #3)
  • Mrs. Morris and the Ghost (A Salem B&B Mystery, #1)
  • Miss Julia Inherits a Mess (Miss Julia, #18)
  • Murder at High Tide (Rosa Reed #1)
  • Murder at Mullings
  • Owls Well That Ends Well (Meg Langslow, #6)
  • Shot Through the Hearth (A Fixer-Upper Mystery, #7)
  • Telling Tails (Second Chance Cat Mystery, #4)
  • A Likely Story (Library Lover's Mystery, #6)
  • Dead and Breakfast (Merry Ghost Inn, #1)
  • Bitter Brew (A Savannah Reid Mystery #24)
  • An Owl Too Many (Peter Shandy, #8)
Nancy Atherton is not a white-haired Englishwoman with a softly wrinkled face, a wry smile, and wise gray eyes, nor does she live in a thatched cottage behind a babbling brook in a tranquil, rural corner of the Cotswolds.

She has never taken tea with a vicar (although she drank an Orange Squash with one once) and she doesn't plan to continue writing after her allotted time on earth (though such pla

Aunt Dimity Mystery (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • Aunt Dimity's Death (Aunt Dimity Mystery #1)
  • Aunt Dimity and the Duke (Aunt Dimity Mystery, #2)
  • Aunt Dimity's Good Deed (Aunt Dimity Mystery, #3)
  • Aunt Dimity Digs In (Aunt Dimity Mystery, #4)
  • Aunt Dimity's Christmas (Aunt Dimity Mystery, #5)
  • Aunt Dimity Beats the Devil (Aunt Dimity Mystery, #6)
  • Aunt Dimity: Detective (Aunt Dimity Mystery, #7)
  • Aunt Dimity Takes a Holiday (Aunt Dimity Mystery, #8)
  • Aunt Dimity: Snowbound (Aunt Dimity Mystery #9)
  • Aunt Dimity and the Next of Kin (Aunt Dimity Mystery, #10)