Start by marking “A Kingdom Besieged (The Chaoswar Saga, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Kingdom Besieged (The Chaoswar Saga, #1)

A Kingdom Besieged (The Chaoswar Saga #1)

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  7,673 Ratings  ·  225 Reviews
Discover the fate of the original black Magician, Pug, and his motley crew of agents who safeguard the world of Trigia, as prophecy becomes truth in the first book of the last ever Midkemian trilogy.

THE KINGDOM BESIEGED The Darkness is coming… The Kingdom is plagued by rumour and instability. Kingdom spies in Kesh have been disappearing - either murdered, or turned to the
Published March 1st 2011 by Voyager (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about A Kingdom Besieged, please sign up.

Stonewalljackman I think if you read the demonwar saga first (there is just two) Rides a Dread Legion and At the Gates of Darkness, both those books talk about the…moreI think if you read the demonwar saga first (there is just two) Rides a Dread Legion and At the Gates of Darkness, both those books talk about the major characters enough. I have read the entire 20+ book series and if you were truly interested I would start with Magician, the first one that started it all. There are several stanalones you can skip which only add to the universe. (less)

Niki Hawkes  - The Obsessive Bookseller
The end of the Riftwar world is nigh, and I feel an odd mix of relief and elation. I think the series may be ending with a lot of repeating elements, having been dragged on a little too long… but at the same time, it has been nice to come “home” to the author that sparked my love of fantasy.

I already like the Chaoswar Saga better than the Demonwar Saga. It took a while for things to get going and for all the “players” to be reintroduced, but once it did, it had my interest. Feist included an int
Bob Milne
May 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-epic
It has been an astounding 30+ years since Raymond E. Feist first introduced us to Pug, Tomas, and the other heroes of Midkemia in Magician (broken into Magician: Apprentice & Magician: Master in North America), the first book of the The Riftwar Saga. I can vividly remember devouring all three books of original trilogy back in high school, and I still count it as one of my favourite series.

I, of course, went on to read the Krondor's Sons duology, along with The Empire Trilogy - which had the
Veronica Morfi
May 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The darkness is coming…

If you are a fan of epic fantasy novels, knights, battles, kings, queens, magicians, elves and everything related to them this is a fantasy world you’ll love.

The story of Midkemia started 26 books ago and still worth waiting every single book. In this 27th book the Kingdom is threatened by the empire of Great Kesh. Spies from both the Kingdom and Roldem are disappearing or turned to the enemy side. And when Jim Dasher, an agent from both the Conclave of Shadows and the Kin
R Bartel
Apr 19, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi-fantasy
A Kingdom Besieged was my first introduction to Feist’s novels. The author makes a huge assumption – that I have read his previous books. This assumption is revealed in the fact that he spends almost no time introducing his characters. By the middle of the book I had to assume that if I didn’t know who someone was, they must have been brought forward from an earlier series. Since this book is touted as “book one” of a new series, I felt tremendously disappointed. I then researched Feist’s writin ...more
This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For
A Kingdom Besieged is the latest book in the long-running Riftwar Cycle by Raymond Feist and the first in what appears may be the final trilogy of the story. Depending a bit on how one chooses to count, this is the 19th book in the primary series (which is subdivided into a variety of sagas), with an additional 9 related books (6 co-authored) retroactively filling in story gaps with alternate tales and points of view. Broadly speaking the primary series has generally declined in quality through ...more
Kim
Mar 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
To me this book felt like a well needed return to form for Feist. The Demonwar saga was a let down for me but this, the start of the end, really got things back on track.

The action was good and varied, Pug wasn't wallowing so much and started to seem like himself again, the story of Child was great and the pieces are all moving into place.

There were some negatives of course. The amount of characters is starting to get confusing, especially with Feist's love of naming them the same thing. I need
Vasya
Mar 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
From the Magician: Apprentice to this title that I'm sure Raymond E. Feist made an incredible journey for its readers, but sadly I have only read his Riftwar Saga and Krondor's Sons. I have to say that, after reading this, I am sure that I haven't made a bigger mistake in my reading experience.

I fell in love with Magician: Apprentice on first sight. Ever since that first sentence, ever since that first scene with Pug, I was gripped with the whole world of Midkemia and Televan Feist created. But
Blodeuedd Finland
The fifth riftwar is about to start. Pug and the Conclave have been searching for demons for a few years and have not noticed that something is happening. And since I love Pug I am always happy to see him, and I hope there will be a lot of him. But he is also very sad since he lost his wife and son, and because of all the others he has seen die since he has lived so long.

The other characters in this book are Martin and Hal conDoin, sons of the Duke of Crydee, and they will play a big part in thi
Ian
Jun 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another page turner, obviously, when is Feist ever not?

Spoiler alert (so don't read on if you haven't read the book yet) : I have to comment on the demon thing... at first I was like "what is going on with Child?", and then later I was still like "what is going on?" I mean I knew it was going to be an important part of the story but come on! This is Feist and I want content with Pug and The Conclave and Thomas! Meanwhile, I did enjoy meeting the new characters from Crydee, gotta love going back
Alexander Draganov
Another excellent epic fantasy by Raymond E. Feist. As he begins the final trilogy in the long-running Riftwar series we see again old friends and villains and meet new heroes. After centuries of peace, the Empire of the Great Kesh attacks the great Kingdom and Crydee, the city from which the great Magician Pug and the mighty Dragon Lord Tomas are from is again under siege. And a young conDoin, a distant ancestor of the legendary Prince Arutha, must protect his people. In the same time, spy nets ...more
Christiaan
Sep 08, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
A much anticipated (by me anyway) return to the world of Midkemia disappointed as a fairly frustrating read.

With 30+ books worth of history behind the Riftwar Cycle now I guess it was inevitable that some time had to be spent on exposition and reminding the reader of some of the history - but it just came across as if 80% of this book was just that. It felt like large swathes of history and rehashing past events interspersed with short little bits of new story throughout most of the book.

Having
James Whitehead
Mar 11, 2011 rated it liked it
I continue to read these books so I can get to the end of the story, but it seems a bit to me like the books just aren't as polished as they used to be. Other reviews here have already pointed out the repetition of the Magician's Tower description, but I've found a few other instances that just didn't quite feel right as I read them. Of course, I've never read a series as extensive as this one (although Jordan's Wheel of Time trumps Feist with page-count, it falls far short of characters and ove ...more
Scott
Jul 31, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I love the way Feist writes. So why not a higher rating? Because in order to make a series top the one before it you have to have a bigger bad guy, a bigger end of the world, a bigger everything and to tell you the truth after 30 years of Pug and the Kingdom it's just not as believable anymore. It also was hard to keep all the references and past characters straight (we are talking about 30 years and probably at least 25-30 books) and having to sort them out in my head took me out of the story.

B
Peter
May 25, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
This is the first book in the trilogy where Feist will end the saga he started in 82 with Magician.
The previous books in the series suffered from the author not really knowing which way to go with his story, but now that he took a decision the book benefits from that.

There are a lot of characters in this book, most of them are known to the readers from the previous 100 or so books. :-), although there are some new promising young characters as well.

I spend a lot of time in the last days to rea
Candy Atkins
It's not really the first book in the series. I think it's more of a spin-off, but I'm not sure because I haven't read the other books. I gave it three stars but if I was more familiar with a few of the characters it could have been a four star. I may go back and read the earlier books.
Brenda
Aug 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: brenda
So happy to read Feist again and sad at the same time cause after 30 years this story is
gonna end.

Reading this book felt like coming home...
Laura Darroch-Lassey
I'm really angry that I wasted my time reading this. Fuck you, Feist. You suck.
Sean
Aug 11, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It has been a long time since I've read a Feist book (something close to 10 years I would guess). It was interesting how clear it was to me how my taste in reading has changed in the last 10 years.

Feist offers a very stock-standard fantasy. The world is a magical, medieval setting (with some world / dimension jumping thrown in there). The characters tend be archetypes (repeated throughout a lot of Feist's novels) with similar dynamics and relationships with each other. You won't get the same le
Jack Cochran
Didn't live up to Riftwar. Felt like it was trying to do too much. A lot of new characters were introduced and it seems like the payoff for those characters will be in the next books, but not enough time was given to want to see their stories in this book by itself. Still, not a bad read. Haven't decided yet if I'll continue with the rest of the series.
Plesz Roland
sajnos a végére nagyon elfogyott a lendület... ugyanolyan karakterek ugyanolyan kalandokat élnek át és tipikusan olyan érzés, mint amikor egy jó sorozatból a sokadik évad már nagyon nem az igazi, de a megszeretett karakterek miatt még nézi az ember.

Joel
Aug 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
That's some epilogue!
Abhinav
Mar 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-read
You can read the full review over at The Founding Fields:

Shadowhawk takes a look at the first novel in Raymond E. Feist’s final trilogy of the great Midkemian Saga. This is also the fourth review in his Advent Review series and you can check out the full list at the following link:

“With this book, I returned to the world of Midkemia after a long, long time and what I found was that the setting was just as captivating
Steve
In 1982, Raymond Feist launched himself into the world of fantasy with the publication of MAGICIAN. With that novel, he successfully began one of the most praised and enjoyed series of modern fantasy, The Riftwar Cycle. Twenty-nine years and 26 books later, Feist gives us A KINGDOM BESIEGED, the next installment in the massive arc in the worlds of Midkemia and Kelewan and the initial volume of the Chaoswar Saga.

A brittle peace exists between the Empire and the Kingdom following the Demonwar. Now
Bibliophile
Apr 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Steve Haywood
Jun 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf, sf-fantasy
'A Kingdom Besieged' by Raymond E. Feist, is the first book in the Chaoswar saga. It's also towards the end of the overall Riftwar Cycle, so not a good place to start. Instead, go start with the author's first book Magician (and by the way, I'm jealous, you've got a lot of good books to enjoy).

Feist's recent books have deteriorated from his excellent books of the 1980s and 1990s. I used to buy his books in hardbook as soon as they came out, and eagerly devour them. Problem was, the books started
FantasyWereld
May 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: volwassenen
Ongeveer dertig jaar nadat Raymond E. Feist zijn reeks boeken over Midkemia begon met Magiër, komt het einde nu in zicht met de Saga van de Chaosoorlog-trilogie. Het eerste deel hiervan, Het Bedreigde Koninkrijk, speelt zich vijf jaar na Voor de Poorten van het Duister af. Hierin verloor Puc zijn vrouw en zoon en het verdriet is nog steeds niet verwerkt. Toch kan hij zich niet al te lang afzijdig houden van wat er zich nu afspeelt op Midkemia. Het Keizerrijk Kesh blijkt namelijk een grootschalig ...more
Marcela (BookaholicCat)
This review is also published at http://thebookaholiccat.com

This was my first book by Raymond E. Feist and big mistake! This book is promoted as the first book in The Chaoswar Saga Trilogy, but when I started to read it I realized that it was not a first book, but a continuation of a very extensive series, that is divided into different sagas; there are almost 20 books prior to this one.
This dampened a little bit my reading experience considering there were many references to previous events th
Joel Flank
Aug 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Raymond Feist begins the final trilogy of the Riftwar cycle. 5 years have passed since the Demonwar, and things seem stable. Pug and his allies are still researching demons and what has caused them to become far more active than normal in the mortal realm. The star elves have settled into their new home, warily distant from their neighbors, and unsure about maintaining cordial relations with both humans and other elves. In distant Crydee on the Far Coast, things are about to change dramatically ...more
Tyrone
Feb 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Midkemia completists
Shelves: fantasy, reviewed
Despite being a huge Raymond E. Feist fan I have to admit approaching this book with some trepidation. Partly because the recent additions have not always been as good quality or held my interest as much a some of the earlier parts of the series. And partly because I know that this is likely to be the last entries in a series of books that have accompanied me through much of my reading life.

I've not always been as gripped by the Conclave of shadows as i was with the fate of the Kingdom. I also h
Daisy
Feb 10, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
If you read fantasy, you've probably at least heard of Feist and his Riftwar series. A Kingdom Besieged is the first book in the fifth series set in this world. I read the Serpentwar Saga (the third series) at the respectable age of I think 11 or 12 and I remember really enjoying them. So, when this one showed up on NetGalley for review, of course I hit the request button!

And while I did like the book, it wasn't as enjoyable for me as I'd expected it to be. I think it's partly because I had such
Goodreads Librari...: A Kingdom Besieged by Raymonde E. Feist 3 18 Jul 15, 2012 08:14AM
  • Raymond E. Feist's Magician Master: The Great One
  • Stormed Fortress (Wars of Light and Shadow, #8; Arc 3 - Alliance of Light, #5)
  • The Spirit Stone (The Silver Wyrm, #2) (The Dragon Mage, #5)
  • Arms-Commander (The Saga of Recluce, #16)
  • Worldbinder (Runelords, #6)
  • The Measure of the Magic (Legends of Shannara, #2)
  • The Younger Gods (The Dreamers, #4)
  • White Wolf (The Drenai Saga, #10)
  • Das Zeichen des Dunklen Gottes (Ulldart - Die Dunkle Zeit, #3)
  • A Hero Born (Realms of Chaos, #1)
Raymond E. Feist was born Raymond E. Gonzales III, but took his adoptive step-father's surname when his mother remarried Felix E. Feist. He graduated with a B.A. in Communication Arts with Honors in 1977 from the University of California at San Diego. During that year Feist had some ideas for a novel about a boy who would be a magician. He wrote the novel two years later, and it was published in 1 ...more
More about Raymond E. Feist...

The Chaoswar Saga (3 books)
  • A Crown Imperiled (The Chaoswar Saga, #2)
  • Magician's End (The Chaoswar Saga, #3)