Start by marking “Out on a Limb (Claire Malloy, #14)” as Want to Read:
Out on a Limb (Claire Malloy, #14)

Out on a Limb (Claire Malloy #14)

3.8  ·  Rating details ·  678 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Farberville, Arkansas is normally a quiet college town, where bookseller Claire Malloy tends her small store and raises her somewhat dramatic teenage daughter Caron. But this week, it's gone a bit out of control. A local group of activists calling themselves the Farberville Green Party is protesting a developer's plan to remove a copse of trees by having retired schoolteac ...more
Published November 19th 2002 by Minotaur Books (first published 2002)

Merry
Oct 08, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 3-star
Here is a book with a fun and quirky plot, generally interesting and likeable characters, and some twists and turns to keep you guessing. There were a lot of things that were just too ludicrous to be the least bit believable, but I could get past that. But 3 stars was the best I could give it. Why? Simply put, the writing. The style soon became not only annoying, but distracting. After all, how much can you take of sentences like this:

"Her demeanor was that of a tropical storm soon to be upgrade
Joy
Nov 12, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Claire gets lots of free time from her bookstore, to keep an eye on the local protesters against a developer who has city approval to hack down a lot of trees that are in the way of his planned shopping mall. An elderly lady is spending all her time up in a tree - chained there - to balk tree cutters, and the developer is trying to stop people from supplying the lady with food. And a baby has been left on Claire's doorstep.

This is the first time I have visited this series in 15 years. Now that I
Johnny
Aug 05, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Although there are a couple of subtle cross-references to Joan Hess’ other famous mystery series (Arly Hanks in Maggody, AR) such as when the protagonists in Out on a Limb go to a nearby small town and visit the Pot o’ Gold trailer park in search of clues and notice they are being tailed by a police car, I personally feel like the Claire Malloy mysteries are less “out there” in their humor than the aforementioned Maggody series. Maybe it is the difference between the ultra-small town-ness of Mag ...more
Katie Hilton
This is a slightly nutty Claire Malloy mystery, set in northwest Arkansas. Some community members are protesting the removal of ancient oaks by a wealthy developer. Then he's murdered in his home. There are plenty of suspects, some kooky witnesses, but Claire untangles the situation.
The Badger
Jul 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Claire Malloy series is a step above a Cozy, mainly because you actually LIKE the characters. Claire is the single mother of Caron, a teenaged daughter who's at the age of speaking in ALL CAPS. Claire is also the proprietor of a bookstore (which she doesn't seem to spend much time in, on account of solving murders and trying to calm Caron down to at least italics). Peter is Claire's detective boyfriend whom she's lucky to have, otherwise she'd spend the majority of her time in a holding cell ...more
George
Sep 09, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
#14 in the small bookstore owner Claire Mallory set in the small college town of Farberville, Arkansas. A central character in this story is from the previous mystery, A conventional Corpse, in this series. The town's major developer is starting a second phase to a housing development and a group of protesters don't want a stand of oak tress cut down for the development so retired teacher Emily Parchester becomes a tree sitter. Soon the developer is found murdered and Claire again becomes involv ...more
Lacrecia
Mar 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Joan Hess mysteries are fast moving and I find them hard to put down until I reach the end...which usually means marathon reading sessions that leave me breathless. Needless to say I am not quit sure how Claire Malloy manages to keep up the pace she does in the story. Joan Hess, as always, weaves a complicated tale with many mysterious twists that only Claire can untangle. And in this one the ending is quite a surprise! You won't want to miss this one.
Sandy Weir
Jan 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Miss Parchester is back and I love learning more about her! Another relatively cozy, if complicated Ms. Malloy (plus Caron, et.al.) mystery with several twining threads that include Claire having to care for a new baby and an old tree huger sipping tea in the rain.
Linz Zee
After reading Josi S. Kilpack's comedic and intense mystery novels, this was just boring and tiresome.
Chi Dubinski
Another strong book in the Claire Molly series.
Jane
Aug 04, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great book for the treadmill. (I accidentally typed dreadmill. mmmm....) An easy read mystery in a good series. You have to love book store owners.
Donna
typical Claire Malloy - always in trouble. I do really enjoy Joan Hess stories, they always make me laugh and are just fun to read.
Levy Roberge
Jun 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was stunned by the ending. Didn't see that coming
Larue Bullion
Oct 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved the lates (to me) in this series, always a laugh a minute
Kurt
Sep 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of twists. Mystery books are usually a 3 but this was a 4.
Ann Marie
One of the better Claire Malloy books that I've read. A little surprised at the end as I thought I had the killer pegged.
Karen Defreitas
Worth reading - interesting story line and the author kept you guessing
Linda
Sep 09, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a quick, fun read.
Bumbershootbears
Love Joan Hess but not my favorite of her books. I didn't feel as engaged by the plot as I usually do with her books.
Judi
Mar 02, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a snow day and I need a good laugh.
Rebecca
Bonnie
Dec 15, 2009
Autumn7383
Jan 05, 2013
  • The Alpine Scandal (Emma Lord, #19)
  • Good Blood (Gideon Oliver, #11)
  • The Crepes of Wrath (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #9)
  • The Cornbread Killer (Heaven Lee, #5)
  • Bum Steer (Jenny Cain, #6)
  • Engaged to Die (Death on Demand, #14)
  • A Wicked Slice (Lee Ofsted, #1)
Joan Hess is the author of both the Claire Malloy and the Maggody mystery series. She is a winner of the American Mystery Award, a member of Sisters in Crime, and a former president of the American Crime Writers League. She lives in Fayetteville, Arkansas.

Joan Hess also writes a mystery series under the pseudonym of Joan Hadley.

Series contributed to:
. Crosswinds
. The Year's 25 Finest Crime and Mys
More about Joan Hess...

Claire Malloy (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Strangled Prose (Claire Malloy, #1)
  • The Murder at the Murder at the Mimosa Inn (Claire Malloy, #2)
  • Dear Miss Demeanor (Claire Malloy, #3)
  • A Really Cute Corpse (Claire Malloy, #4)
  • A Diet to Die For (Claire Malloy, #5)
  • Roll Over and Play Dead (Claire Malloy, #6)
  • Death by the Light of the Moon (Claire Malloy, #7)
  • Poisoned Pins (Claire Malloy, #8)
  • Tickled to Death (Claire Malloy, #9)
  • Busy Bodies (Claire Malloy, #10)