Jump to ratings and reviews

Dancing Jax #1

Dancing Jax

A brilliant supernatural thriller with a modern twist, and a triumphant return from one of Britain’s best-loved writers.

At the end of a track, on the outskirts of an ordinary coastal town, lies a dilapidated house. Once, a group of amateur ghost hunters spent the night there. Two of them don’t like to speak about the experience. The third can’t speak about it. He went into the basement, you see, and afterwards he screamed so hard and so long he tore his vocal cords.

Now, a group of teenagers have decided to hang out in the old haunted house. Dismissing the fears of the others, their leader Jezza goes down into the basement… and comes back up with a children’s book, full of strange and colourful tales of a playing-card world, a fairytale world, full of Jacks, Queens and Kings, unicorns and wolves.

But the book is no fairytale. Written by Austerly Fellows, a mysterious turn-of-the-century occultist, it just might be the gateway to something terrifying…and awfully final. As the children and teenagers of the town are swept up by its terrible power, swept into its seductive world, something has begun that could usher in hell on earth. Soon, the only people standing in its way are a young boy with a sci-fi obsession, and his dad – an unassuming maths teacher called Martin…

535 pages, Hardcover

First published January 1, 2011

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Robin Jarvis

48 books222 followers
Robin Jarvis (born May 8, 1963) is a British children's novelist, who writes fantasy novels, often about anthropomorphic rodents and small mammals—especially mice—and Tudor times. A lot of his works are based in London, in and around Deptford and Greenwich where he used to live, or in Whitby.

His first novel—The Dark Portal, featuring the popular Deptford Mice—was the runner up for the Smarties book prize in 1989.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
Displaying 1 - 30 of 161 reviews
February 25, 2015

J, is NOT for Jarvis.

NONE OF THE STARS! Translated to: 1 Star

As a reader I don't like loathing books. Go check out my books-i-loathed shelf; its pretty sparse. There's a reason for that, and its this: even if I, personally, don't enjoy a book I can usually see some merit in it. I ACTIVELY HATED Dancing Jax! With every fiber of my being,hated it! And that annoys me!

No #1: Real world vs. Fictional world. A writer should NEVER compare real world big bads to fictional world big bads, EVER! By comparing your villain to Hitler, however discretely, you belittle true life crimes. DON'T DO IT! One thing Rowling did that I greatly admire is the she kept her wizarding world monsters SEPERATE from muggle monsters! (However comparable they may have been) It is smart and classy to not compare fiction to history. Fiction loses, EVERY.TIME! Also it's insensitive as fuck! DON'T DO THAT...UGH! (I admit that this was only done in passing - and never as directly as I said above - but saying Ismus (Big Bad) is worse than any war is... just...fuck...NO! So wrong!

No #2: DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT ever have a character sight the feminization of education as the reason the school system is failing! I WILL FUCKING HIT A FOOL! What even is that?!

No #3: Make hard choices! Three to four third person limited omniscient POVs is about all you can ever get away with (yes, I know there are exceptions BUT not here). I couldn't keep the thirty bazillion POVs straight and found it both unnecessary and annoying to be bounced around so much.

No #4: Have characters a reader could give two shits about. IT'S IMPORTANT! I don't have to like all the characters (in fact I'd prefer not to) but in a story like this at least ONE I would consider saving from a burning building (seriously) would be nice! And I like flawed characters, guys! Everyone HAS an asshole, it doesn't mean they have to act like one!

No #5: Titles! Books are not songs, you shouldn't name them something that doesn't make sense until the 95% mark of the story, it's ridiculous! AND ANNOYING! I spent the entire book wondering why it wasn't called "Dancing Jacks"(the name of the Evil text in the story)?

So those are my five minus stars.

In conclusion I, obviously, detested this story. I wouldn't wish this book on my worst enemy. And I will NEVER pick up another book by Robin Jarvis, ever!

Profile Image for Andy.
1,121 reviews73 followers
September 20, 2022
Fade
Langweilig
Und fade
Warum?
Nicht weil es dem Autor an Ideen mangelt. Nein, doch er bemüht sie zu Tode. Und nur reißerisch reicht auch nicht, so dachte ich bei 66% des Buches. Der Autor spielt auf Zeit... und macht währenddessen literarische Dehnübungen. Seine Rekrutierungen waren zu Beginn vielleicht noch originell. Doch sie füllen fast das gesamte Buch - gefühlt zumindest. Dann wären da noch die Figuren, abgesehen von ihrer Skurrilität haben sie kaum eigene Charakterzüge. Auch hier lies das WOW-Gefühl recht schnell nach.
Der Roman fühlt sich wie ein "Von einem, der auszog, das Gruseln zu lernen" an aber auf 600 Seiten gedehnt. Die Trilogie wandert definitiv bei mir aus. Mich interessiert der Rest der Geschichte so überhaupt nicht.

Und dabei habe ich mich noch nicht mal über den grottigen Schreibstil aufgeregt. Was für eine plumpe Sprache.
Profile Image for Aleshanee.
1,375 reviews93 followers
May 24, 2019
Ja, ne ^^ Also auch beim zweiten Anlauf bin ich nicht in die Geschichte reingekommen.
Es hat Passagen, die fand ich echt gut und der Autor wirft hier auch einige aktuelle Themen mit rein, was immer wieder überrascht und ich gut fand, einfach weil man nicht damit rechnet. Aber insgesamt ist es mir zu zäh und hat zu viele langatmige Stellen, bei denen ich mich zum weiterlesen überwinden muss.
Ich hab bei der Hälfte abgebrochen.
Profile Image for Darren.
99 reviews77 followers
February 3, 2011
If Stephen King were to write a book for young adults then I would imagine it would be something very much like Dancing Jax. Although Robin Jarvis suggests that he doesn't see himself as a horror author, this book is as chilling as anything the great King has published. Reading it certainly made me feel the same as I did when I first read 'Salem's Lot, which was very nervous indeed. I don't scare easily these days, and I totally love horror films, but both of these stories had me feeling on edge pretty much from the first chapter.

I have now been sitting staring at my screen for an hour trying to come up with words that describe this book. The blurb at the top of this post says a lot about the plot, and I feel that saying much more could not so much create spoilers, but in some way diminish reading enjoyment anyway. I think this is because the plot seems unique to me; I certainly don't think that I have come across anything similar in YA literature before. The beginning of the story suggests a fairly standard horror story of ghostly/demonic possession, but Robin Jarvis very quickly dispels any thoughts that his story will be as straightforward as this. And I'm still struggling to work out the best way to describe it. To call it a horror story would, I feel, do it an injustice as it is so much more than that. Similarly, to call it fantasy does not feel right. It is a brilliant hybrid of all the best elements of horror, fantasy, fairy tales, folk lore and even social commentary, and somehow Robin Jarvis has blended all of these ingredients as if he were a master chef cooking a perfect five course meal for a panel of the world's most hard-to-please food critics.

The story revolves around a book, the (almost) titular Dancing Jacks; a book created by a truly evil man - the supposedly long missing and presumed dead Austerly Fellows. This book has the power to 'convert' anybody who reads it into a devotee of the Ismus, but not in the brainwashed cult way that we see occasionally in the media today. These converts start to believe in another world, where the Ismus is lord and master, and each new follower has a specific role to play, based upon a deck of playing cards. Therefore, we have the likes of the Jack of Diamonds, the Jill of Clubs, the Queen of Spades as main characters in this fantasy world, and the lower numbers become serfs with menial tasks. And they genuinely all believe that this world exists, thanks to the malevolent magic that permeates from the book, corrupting all who read or hear its story.

I think the element I found most disturbing is that the first people who are targeted by the Ismus are the children of the secondary school on the fringes of Felixstowe. Like a clever drug dealer, the Ismus gets the book into the hands of a few and this very quickly snowballs, with 'addict' after 'addict' falling under the spell of the evil book. And before too long, so are the adults. Maybe I'm just being overly sensitive as I spend a big part of my life encouraging young people to read, and yet in Dancing Jax it is this very activity that becomes their downfall. How disturbing is that? And possibly slightly unnerving is the fact that Robin Jarvis's Dancing Jax is almost as addictive as its fictional namesake - I just did not want to stop reading it and found myself reading well into the night, and then rushing home very tired from work the next day to get it finished off.

Going back to my earlier assertion that this work is similar to that of Stephen King, I think I feel this way because of the way in which Robin Jarvis builds his story. Like King, he focuses on the minutiae of the day-to-day lives of the people of this part of Felixstowe: their hopes and fears, the way they interact with each other on a daily basis, the way they deal with tragedy. In doing so we 'meet' a huge array of characters and therefore we really do not know who is going to be the hero of the story who will eventually thwart the plans of the villain. Just as I thought it would be one particular character the plot would twist, they would fall foul of the Book's magic and become another one of the ever growing legion of Ismus devotees. This also means that just as you get attached to and start rooting for a character your hopes are violently dashed and your character allegiance has to shift. I remember thinking exactly the same thoughts as I read 'Salem's Lot, as first one member of the town became a vampire, and then another, and another, although because of the way that book opens we always know that Ben Mears is likely to be a survivor.

As I was reading Dancing Jax I couldn't help but feel that at times Robin Jarvis was commenting on how our society has degraded over the last few decades. These thoughts were confirmed by one of my favourite passages in the book, which comes towards the end as the Ismus arrogantly justifies the magic of the book and his actions by preaching:

"There are no children in this world any more. You dress and treat them as mini-adults. You let little girls play with dolls that look like Berlin prostitutes. The morality and hypocrisy I used to find so stomach-churning no longer exists. You foist on to your young people role models whose brains are never as active as their underwear, and whose talents and achievements extend only as far as the bedroom door and the ability to blurt every detail of what happens behind it. You give your precious offspring access to a lightning-fast network of corruption and danger. You immerse them in computer games far more violent than the most savage and dirty war, and target prepubescents with inappropriate music and imagery - giving them a vocabulary that would have revolted sailors back in my day. There are not stigmas, no taboos, no boundaries, no respect and certainly no innocence left. To be pregnant at thirteen is no longer an everlasting shame, merely a career choice."

Perhaps the Ismus is correct, and Dancing Jacks is the only solution to today's social problems? Scary thought.
Profile Image for Sasha.
410 reviews69 followers
April 8, 2013
Die deutsche Rezension findet ihr hier.
___________________________

Words are powerful and some books are so dangerous they should never be read. The Dancing Jacks’ is such a book, but so far nobody knows that. When it is put into circulation few are interested and nobody realizes how much it changes its readers: they start to manically rock back and forth while reading, express themselves in an odd way and act illogically, but those are only the most prominent symptoms. People start to believe they are characters of the book, that the reality they live in is only a dream. Not many can resist the book, and those who can are persecuted and persuaded with violence of the “truth”.
Time is getting short in order to do something against those developments, but rarely anybody sees them or takes them seriously. Young Paul is one of those who realize what is going on, but who is supposed to give credit to a child that is telling such a fantastic story?

“Dancing Jax” is a book that wants much and achieves only some of it. To name the positive things first: there are some passages important issues are addressed in, often only in a subordinate clause or a short remark – which is the good thing about it. The author is not trying to lecture you but offers thoughts that might lead to other ideas. It is up to you.
Furthermore, the book has kind of a negative presence. You will often find passages that hint towards a coming disaster; in addition, “Dancing Jax” will not give you many reasons to laugh but even starts with a scene even I found hard to stomach. The situation simply was too perfidiously planned and extremely cruel in its consequences.

The book within the book seems to be interesting at first, too, but that is all that can be said about it. Each chapter starts with a little excerpt which is very confusing at the beginning; later, when you found your way into the story, you have already forgotten all the details. This leaves us with the later excerpts and those included in the main text – those are not many, though.

A big problem of the book is that there are too many characters who get introduced but whom we do not get to know properly. There is never any depth even though the potential is there, I guess. I never felt as if those were stereotypes; however, I was never really interested in them either.
This is why there is no balance to the parts you will find rather boring because you do not care about the narrators at all.

To make matters worse, the plot never really thickens. What we get is an introduction; the main problem is established very thoroughly, unfortunately. The author does not alter his approach to that: it is always the same when people get lured into the book’s world, some show resistance but give way in the end all the same. When this pattern is repeated for the third or fourth time, you cannot even pretend to be surprised any longer. And it gets really boring, of course.

In the end, barely any interest in the future events is left, so I do not feel the need to continue reading this series. It is a pity if you think of how thrilling this book could have been if Robin Jarvis had concentrated on the progress of the story instead of the numerous characters.

It has been a good idea and an unsatisfying realization: too many characters and an uneventful story that keeps repeating itself often take all the joy of reading “Dancing Jax”. I am sorry for the good moments this books had; all in all, this is not a terrible book but it left me utterly unimpressed.
Profile Image for Megan Pratt.
4 reviews2 followers
January 20, 2012
This book was so horrendously mediocre that it would be better if it were ridiculously bad. The whole book is cliche and predictable, and as a teen I am offended that this is considered "teen lit." Yeah, right.
The book was weak, the characters were flimsy, and it jumped around so much. The inserts about unicorns and werewolves and shepherds and whatnot were so incredibly drawn on that I needed to take a break between inserts.
I do NOT recommend this book for anyone with a high intelligence. If easy readers are more your speed, don't let the 500 pages fool you. It's quick, I'll give it that. But it's NOT worth the 25 dollars you could be paying for it. Check out Half Price.
Profile Image for Monika Schmidt.
76 reviews23 followers
June 6, 2021
Der Anfang gefiel mir richtig gut. Erinnerte leicht an Stephen Kings Needful Things .Leider kam ich in der laufenden Geschichte nicht mehr klar. Die Protagonisten agierten für mich zu kindisch und mir war wohl nicht klar, dass es sich um eine Jugendgeschichte handelt. irgendwie waren mir alle egal. Das ist kein gutes Zeichen und ich brach bei ca 50
Prozent ab
Profile Image for RenisBooks.
10 reviews
July 4, 2022
Dancing Jax entdeckte ich 2012 in einer Kiste mit Leseexemplaren in der Buchhandlung meiner Tante und damals zog mich der Klappentext in den Bann:

"Dieses Buch ist böse ... Du solltest dich ihm nicht nähern. Du solltest nicht darüber sprechen. Was auch immer du tust, öffne es nicht!"

Ha ... besser kann man eine eingefleischte Bücherratte nicht triggern.

Ich nahm das Buch mit und verschlang es und hungerte nach dem zweiten Band, der damals jedoch noch nicht erschienen war. Irgendwann vergaß ich das Buch. Wann genau Band 2 und 3 in meine Sammlung gewandert waren, daran kann ich mich nicht erinnern, doch auch wenn ich die deutschen Cover von Loewe/Script5 liebe, hatten sie mich in den letzten 10 Jahren nicht gereizt, sie zu lesen ... bis vor ein paar Tagen.
Ich ging gerade mein Bücherregal durch, um Bücher, die schon viel zu lange in meinem Bücherregal Staub ansammeln, ohne je gelesen worden zu sein, auszusortieren, als mir diese Trilogie wieder in die Hände fiel. Da ich gerade mit einer anderen Buchreihe abgeschlossen hatte und ich mich noch für kein neues Buch entschieden hatte, begann ich einfach mit Band 1 dieser Reihe - eine letzte Chance, bevor die Bücher eventuell bei mir ausziehen würden.
Und so begann ich zu lesen ...

Meine Meinung zu diesem Buch ist zweigeteilt. Noch immer bin ich fasziniert von der Idee des Buches und noch immer vollkommen gebannt von der Handlung. Dass keine der handelnden Figuren wirklich sympathisch ist, reizte mich ebenfalls. Auch der Gruselfaktor ist allgegenwärtig und ähnlich wie bei dem Genuss von "Coraline" für erwachsene Leser um einiges höher als für die eigentliche jugendliche Zielgruppe -wobei ich mittlerweile daran zweifle, dass dieses Buch wirklich für Teens geschrieben wurde, spricht doch so einiges dagegen: beispielsweise das Alter der Hauptfigur (ein Mittvierziger Lehrer) und das Maß an Brutalität im Buch.

Was mich mittlerweile an diesem Buch abschreckt, sind die Moralpredigten und die Hetzreden nicht nur vom Antagonisten, sondern auch anderer Figuren wie Lehrkräfte oder aber auch dem Protagonisten. In brutalsten Worten wird über die Jugend geschimpft, wird eine psychische Krankheit ADHS als nicht existent verschrien oder plattitüdisch über die Gesellschaft gehetzt. Diese Abschnitte zu ertragen, war alles andere als einfach. Dieses Buch polarisiert und viele Meinungen sind überspitzt und überholt. Doch nur in einer solchen Welt funktioniert das Prinzip von Dancing Jax.

Die vertretenen Meinungen in diesem Buch sind grenzwertig und sollten mit gewissem Abstand genossen werden. Heute würde ein solches Buch nicht mehr so einfach veröffentlicht werden, schon allein weil einige Aspekte der Handlung nicht nur rassistisch sind (Blackfacing), sondern auch voller Hass gegen Feminismus, Jugendkultur, Popkultur, moderne Erziehungsrichtlinien und Heranwachsende. Auch wenn das Buch diese kaputte Welt als Nährboden für die Handlung nutzt, hätte der Autor oder spätestens der Verlag einige dieser Passagen streichen oder abändern können - zumindest wäre das heutzutage so passiert.

Die Handlung ist interessant genug, dass ich zumindest in den zweiten Teil hinein schnuppern werde. Dennoch würde ich dieses Buch keinem Jugendlichen empfehlen und bin irgendwie froh, damals nicht weitergelesen zu haben. Genießt das Buch daher mit Vorsicht!
Profile Image for Kerstin.
733 reviews18 followers
April 11, 2015
(1st read: September 27, 2012 - September 30, 2012)

Kurzbeschreibung:
Einige Bücher sind schädlich, sogar gefährlich. Sie verdrehen einem den Kopf und geben den dunkelsten Seiten der menschlichen Seele Nahrung. Sie sollten verbannt oder vernichtet werden. Diese Geschichte handelt von solch einem Buch. Ich hoffe, es gibt noch genug von euch da draußen, die das hier lesen und mir glauben und sich zur Wehr setzen können - bevor es zu spät ist. Ein altertümlich wirkendes und zunächst harmlos erscheinendes Buch taucht in einer englischen Kleinstadt auf und ergreift Besitz von seinen Lesern. Immer mehr Menschen werden von dem Buch befallen und zu willenlosen Charakteren der Geschichte. Der diabolische Plan des Autors scheint aufzugehen...

Zum Autor:
Mit dem Schreiben und Illustrieren begann Robin Jarvis 1988. Seine Bücher wurden in Großbritannien mit zahlreichen Preisen ausgezeichnet und haben sich bereits mehr als eine Million Mal verkauft. Was der Autor, der in London lebt, überhaupt nicht mag, sind Geschichten, in denen er niemanden umbringen kann.

Rezension:
Der junge Jezza hat es sich in den Kopf gesetzt, zusammen mit seinen Freunden Shiela, Tommo und Miller ein verlassenes Haus im kleinen englischen Ort Felixstowe nach noch zu verwertbaren Sachen zu durchstöbern. Dort angekommen, merkt Shiela als Erste, das es in dem Haus nicht mit rechten Dingen zugeht. Im Keller finden sie mehrere Kisten mit ein und demselben Buch, "Dancing Jacks". Und dieses Buch ist böse, wie die vier und nicht nur sie bald am eigenen Leib erfahren müssen...

Mit Dancing Jax legt Robin Jarvis den Auftakt einer Trilogie vor, die es in sich hat. Anfangs begleitet man die vier Jugendlichen Jezza, Shiela, Tommo und Miller beim Eindringen in ein altes verfallenes Herrenhaus, in dem sie die Kisten mit den Ausgaben von "Dancing Jacks", einem vermeindlichen Märchenbuch, finden.

Dann beginnt ein zweiter Erzählstrang, der sich der Schule von Felixstowe widmet, in der man einige der Schüler näher kennenlernt, hier ist das Augenmerk vor allem auf Paul Thornbury und den Freund seiner Mutter, den Lehrer Martin Baxter, gerichtet. Danach zieht der Spannungsbogen ungeheuer an. Nach einem verheerenden Unfall werden über 40 Schüler getötet und "Dancing Jacks" hält Einzug in die Kinderzimmer.

Denn Jezza wurde nach dem Lesen vom Buch "infiziert" und lebt nun die Rolle des Ismus, der es sich zur Aufgabe gestellt hat, den Prinzen der Dämmerung wieder zum Leben zu erwecken, indem er den Hof von Mooncaster neu besetzt und zwar mit Schülern und auch Erwachsenen aus Felixstowe. Jeder, der "Dancing Jacks" liest, wird von seiner Geschichte infiziert. Und die ist nicht nur schön, sondern auch grausam.

Es kommt so weit, dass bereits Infizierte andere dazu zwingen, das Buch zu lesen und somit fast niemand aus dem kleinen Ort verschont bleibt. Ob eine Möglichkeit besteht, die Einwohner zu retten, bleibt am Ende offen, da es sich um den Auftakt einer Trilogie handelt.

Mich konnte die Geschichte durchaus überzeugen, denn Robin Jarvis hat den gewissen Erzählstil, der fesselt. Außerdem lässt er auch einige Passagen aus "Dancing Jacks" mit in die Geschichte einfließen, sodass der Leser auch davon einen Einblick bekommt, von dem ich mir aber ruhig etwas mehr gewünscht hätte.

Spannung ist nach Entdeckung von "Dancing Jacks" bis zum Ende hin gegeben, allerdings schließt das Buch mit einem sehr ärgerlichen Cliffhanger ab. Ich wünschte, es würden momentan nicht so viele Trilogien den Markt überschwemmen! Hier kann man also nur darauf warten, dass der Nachfolgeband, der im Englischen bereits im Februar 2012 unter dem Titel Freakx and Rejex erschienen ist, auch den Weg in die deutsche Übersetzung findet.

Fazit: Mit Dancing Jax ist Robin Jarvis ein äußerst spannender und ungewöhnlicher Trilogie-Auftakt gelungen, der absolut Lust auf mehr macht.
Profile Image for Бранимир Събев.
Author 33 books183 followers
October 28, 2013
"Отвъд Сребристото море, обградено от тринайсет зелени хълма се намира чудното кралство на Принца на Зората. Ала в Белия замък тронът стои празен. Цяла вечност изгнаник е принцът и вместо него управлява Измъс, неговият Велик Чародей - до деня, когато той прославен ще се върне и ще се възцари навеки в пълния с блясък."

Така започва "Танцуващият замък" на британския писател Робин Джарвис - една прекрасна фентъзи история, която правеше последните ми десетина жежки нощи доста по-приятни и търпими. Но за какво става дума в този роман?

Както всички знаем, книгите са могъща сила - неслучайно един от героите вътре казва, че не бива да подценяваме писаното слово, все още определени книги владеят умовете и движат в различни посоки целии нации и милиарди хора на планетата. Някои книги обаче са лоши, направо зли и опасни. Те изкривяват съзнанието ни и нас самите, хранейки се с нашите чувства, желания и дори души. За една такава книга става въпрос в "Танцуващият замък".

В едно крайбрежно градче в Англия се появява странна книга, именувана като този роман. Написана от неизвестния Остърли Фелоус, мистериозен окултист, тя на пръв поглед е детска книжка с илюстрации, в която става въпрос за хубави неща като замъци, принцове, принцеси, коне и така нататък. Но само на пръв поглед - всъщност, който започне да я чете, не може да откъсне поглед от нея и става обсебен от книгата, идентифицирайки се с някой от героите вътре.

А заразата на книгата се разпространява из града, подобно смъртоносна епидемия...

Моите поздравления към издателство "Милениум" за чудесната корица и оформление - личи си, че по тях е работено доста, преводът също е на ниво. Чрез главния герой, който е учител изненадващо разбираме отвратителни истини за образованието и медиите в днешна Великобритания. Да, мили мои, не само у нас образованието е плачевно и трагично, не само у нас медиите са гниди, червеи и боклуци, има го и в развитите европейски страни. Е, може би не в такава степен, колкото в България, но достатъчно сериозна, за да заостри перото на Робин Джарвис подобно на жило, карайки го да сипе злъч по страниците на немалко места. Моите искрени поздравления за което!

В заключение искам да кажа, че книгата е супер четивна и интересна, грабва те от самото начало и не те пуска, не разбираш когато е минало полунощ, докато я четеш. Напомня писанията на титани от Острова като Джон Конъли и Нийл Геймън - Робин Джарвис определено има още какво да учи в сравнение с тях, но твърдо се доближава до изброените.
Profile Image for Mellee Sharon Kal Sharons Books.
246 reviews4 followers
May 19, 2013
Dieses Buch ist böse...sehr böse! Wer es liest, verfällt ihm!! Ja, so ging es mir auch.

Angefangen hat alles mit ein paar jungen Menschen, die in ein altes Haus einbrechen und dort eine Kiste mit Büchern finden. Diese Bücher haben den Titel "Dancing Jacks" und sie gehörten einst einem Okkultisten. Natürlich wird die Kiste durch die Menschen geöffnet und jeder bekommt ein Buch. Nach und nach verfallen sie diesem, besonders Jezza, der das Ganze ins Leben ruft, ist besessen von diesem Buch und wird zur Marionette. Er sorgt dafür, dass das Buch in der ganzen Stadt verteilt wird. Das blutige Spiel ums Überleben und um das Böse beginnt...

Wow!!! Ein grandioses Meisterwerk, was Robin Jarvis hier verfasst hat. Es fällt mir schwer über dieses Buch etwas zu schreiben, um nicht zuviel zu verraten, aber es machte süchtig zu lesen, man verfiel ihm regelrecht. Gleich von Beginn an ist es spannend erzählt, auch wenn immer mehr und mehr Charaktere in die Geschichte mit eingebunden werden. So wird z. B. auch beschrieben, wie andere Menschen, welche nicht zu der Gruppe gehörten, zu Opfern durch das Buch wurden. Dies wird immer in separaten Geschichten dargestellt. Dennoch hängt alles zusammen.

Teilweise hatte ich wirklich Angst, was nun noch passieren würde.

Die Charaktere in diesem Buch sind, wie schon erwähnt sehr vielseitig. Man konnte allerdings nicht den Überblick verlieren, da die Personen in verschiedene Situationen in den jeweiligen Geschichten mit einbezogen wurden. Jazza, einer der Protagonisten ist ein sehr nervenaufreibende Person. Über ihn wurde viel geschrieben. Er wirkte auf mich teilweise sehr überheblich, arrogant und ließ sich leicht beeinflussen. Dadurch hat es das Buch dann letztendlich auch geschafft, ihn zu einer bösen Figur in der Welt der "Dancing Jacks" zu machen.

Paul hingegen mochte ich sehr. Er war sehr tapfer und derjenige, dem das Verhalten der Menschen merkwürdig vor kam und ging der Sache auf den Grund. Er wollte wissen, was es mit dem Autor des Buches, auf sich hat. Doch das, was er raus fand schockte ihn zu tiefst. Doch er bewieß seinen Mut.

Was mich zum Ende hin leider etwas störte, war, dass sich die Geschichten immer mehr in die Länge zogen und teilweise richtig langatmig wurden doch Robin Jarvis schaffte es weiterhin die Spannung durchweg zu halten. Das fand ich dann doch recht positiv.

Da das Buch dann leider abrupt endete und ich unbedingt wissen muss, wie es weitergeht, lässt der zweite Band natürlich nicht lange auf sich warten!

Es bekommt von mir gute 4/5 Palmen!

23 reviews7 followers
May 7, 2012
I tried really hard to like this book. Really hard. Like an underperforming child or the cat that pees on the carpet, I made a LOT of excuses for it. Robin Jarvis was one of my all-time favourite authors as a child. I devoured the Deptford Mice and Deptford Histories and felt genuinely bereft when they were finished and there wasn’t more to come. The man can definitely spin a yarn. I have a sneaking suspicion that his novel, Thomas may have in small way changed my life as a child. And discovering that this was about a fantasy book that possesses people, like some YA-King-Gaiman mashup, I nearly peed all over the carpet along with the cat.

It is a premise full of promise (to enter into the spirit of irritating and nonsensical wordplay). Jarvis writes exceptionally thrilling narratives that do keep you gripped, so when he starts to write about the dangers of an equally addictive book, Dancing Jacks, that is found in a creepy old house filled with eerily sentient mould, it has the potential to be a real spine-tingler. He turns the traditional idea of reading being a virtue, making you into a hero (as in, for example, that classic about escapist kids’ literature, The Neverending Story) by making it the very thing that poses the greatest threat. Book burning becomes a necessity for survival, rather than an easy Hitlerish metaphor for evil. It all gets a bit meta, and a bit dark. Great stuff.

Except it’s like reading this excellent premise through the dual lens of a) a terrible fantasy novel and b) an angry Daily Mail article.

Read my full review here.

Profile Image for Michael.
18 reviews1 follower
September 21, 2014
Hm.... was habe ich da gerade gelesen? ... ich bin mir nicht ganz sicher ^^ ... das Setting und die Grundidee haben mir sehr gut gefallen und das Ende lässt den Leser auch gespannt zurück ... aber irgendwas fehlt diesem Buch einfach ganz gewaltig und ich weiß nicht was es ist ... ich werde dem zweiten Teil und dem somit Autor eine Chance geben daraus ein großes, gutes Ganzes zu machen ...
Profile Image for X.
195 reviews
December 13, 2014
Somewhere between 3 and 4 stars maybe. I found it hard to get into at first because many of the characters were not very likeable, and the likeable ones were not around very long, but by the end it was hard to put down and I am anxious to read book 2 (though that might be due to the less than satisfying ending of this one).
Profile Image for Franziska.
58 reviews35 followers
Read
February 16, 2021
Abgebrochen. Das war vom Stil her gar nicht meins. Habe keinen Zugang gefunden zu den Charakteren...
Profile Image for Riesenzumsel.
43 reviews1 follower
October 8, 2022
Seeeehr langatmig, seeeehr "schwierige" Charaktere (kindlich, naiv, einfach dumm,...), und gewinnt erst zum Ende hin an Schwung. Hab es als Hörbuch gehört - ich glaube lesen hätte ich nicht durchgehalten. Da es aber am Ende packend wurde.. Mal in den nächsten Teil reinhören.
Profile Image for Sabrina.
57 reviews3 followers
December 5, 2012
Um was geht es?

Felixstowe ist eine ruhige und verschlafene Stadt an der Südostküste Englands, doch innerhalb nur einer Woche wird das Leben des Stadtbewohner komplett auf den Kopf gestellt, als eine Buch aus einem geheimnisvollen Geisterhaus auftaucht.

Plötzlich verhalten sich viele Bürger merkwürdig und scheinen wie besessen von diesem Buch zu sein.

Als auch sein Stiefsohn Paul von "Dancing Jax" in seinen Bann gezogen wird, ist dem Mathelehrer Martin Baxter schnell klar, dass er etwas unternehmen muss. Aber was?

Was denke ich darüber?

Ein Buch über ein Buch. Das hat mich sofort fasziniert und neugierig gemacht. Der Klappentext klang auch sehr viel versprechend und so habe ich mich freudig gespannt auf dieses Buch gestürzt.

Bisher habe ich mich etwas um diese Rezension gedrückt, weil ich einfach nicht weiß, was ich von dem Buch halten soll.

Einerseits war die Geschichte an sich schon ganz gut, aber irgendwie hat mir bei diesem Buch das gewisse Etwas gefehlt. Es konnte mich einfach nicht einfangen.

Das Cover

Ich finde das Cover wirklich gut gemacht. Es hat mich sofort angesprochen und vermittelt auf den ersten Blick eine Art Gefahr und Spannung. Im Laufe der Geschichte wird dem Leser dann auch immer klarer, was das Covermotiv mit der Geschichte zu tun hat.

Der Schreibstil

Was den Schreibstil angeht hatte ich doch durchaus meine Probleme am Anfang. Denn besonders im ersten Kapitel ist die Ausdrucksweise der Charaktere eher derb und alles andere als very british.

Während der Geschichte wird die Handlung aus verschiedenen Sichtweisen erzählt. Das ist natürlich auf der einen Seite durchaus positiv, weil man einen guten Rundumblick über die Gefühle und Gedanken der Charaktere hat, aber von Zeit zu Zeit wird es etwas verwirrend und anstrengend den Überblick zu behalten, wer den jetzt die Handlung erlebt.

In einigen Kapiteln gibt es immer wieder Zwischensequenzen, in denen Seiten aus "Dancing Jacks" abgedruckt sind. Es ist eine nette Abwechslung, denn so erfährt man etwas über das "Alter-Ego" der jeweiligen Charaktere, aber ich muss gestehen, manchmal wurde es mir doch sehr langwierig und hat die Story nur unnötig in die Länge gezogen.

Die Charaktere

Was die Charaktere dieses Buches angeht bin ich etwas zwiegespalten. So hat mir zum Beispiel der Lehrer Martin Baxter von Anfang an sehr gut gefallen, da er selbstbewusst ist und einen Hang zum Sarkasmus hat. Er ist eine Person, die in den meisten Fällen einen kühlen Kopf bewahrt und als Protagonist sehr greifbar ist.

Der Hofstaat des Ismus hingegen hat mich doch des öfteren zum Kopfschütteln gebracht. Mir ist durchaus bewusst, dass diese Personen von dem Buch besessen sind, aber an einigen Stellen habe ich mich wirklich gefragt, ob da nicht noch irgendwelche Drogen im Spiel sind. Diese Personen blieben für mich während des Buches eher nebulös und schwammig. Keine auffallende Charaktereigenschaften und leider austauschbar.

Die Handlung

Die Grundidee der Handlung ist zwar nicht unbedingt neu; ich finde es aber immer toll und spannend, wenn es in Büchern um Bücher geht. Doch irgendwie war ich während des Lesen ab und an dann doch versucht das Buch einfach weg zu legen. An einigen Stellen hat sich die Handlung so gezogen, dass ich überlegt habe zwischendurch einfach ein paar Seiten zu überspringen.

Robin Jarvis hat sich auf jeden Fall Mühe gegeben der Geschichte und seinen Charakteren Leben einzuhauchen und man findet im Buch auch immer wieder liebevolle Details, doch wirklich berührt hat mich die Geschichte nicht.

Manchmal hatte ich den Eindruck über eine ähnliche Handlung schon mal einen Film gesehen zu haben und so war für mich auch die Story an vielen Stellen vorhersehbar und deswegen wenig spannend.

Ich fand es schon sehr gut, dass früh in der Handlung eine gewisse Action auf Grund des Unglücks stattfand, aber die Dynamik, die daraus hätte resultieren können wurde nicht mit in die restliche Handlung übernommen.

An einigen Stellen habe ich mich dann auch tatsächlich gefragt, ob der Autor die Handlungen der Charaktere gewollt übertrieben hat oder ob ihm einfach die Ideen ausgegangen sind. Denn da war doch die ein oder andere Szene, bei der ich wirklich dachte: "Sind die jetzt vollkommen irre?".

Ich bin mir noch nicht ganz sicher, ob ich den zweiten Teil lesen werde, denn ich bin mir nicht sicher, ob die Fortsetzung irgendwelche neuen Ideen enthalten wird.

Alles in allem ist die Geschichte etwas anstrengend und durchgeknallt. Wer auf solche Bücher steht ist mit "Dancing Jax" auf jedenfall gut bedient.
Profile Image for Emma.
221 reviews
March 2, 2018
This book...it got better as it went on and I really appreciated what it was trying to do, but the writing style really wasn't for me. I read the first 100 or so pages of this book a month ago and DNFed it then, I decided to give it another chance and I enjoyed it more than I expected, but it did take me ages to read and the ending wasn't at all satisfying. I don't plan on continuing the series.

This book was a spooky, thriller type novel with some cool fantasy aspects. I am really intrigued by books that combine fantasy and thriller aspects so this was a good experience. I am just kind of disappointed in the execution. The writing was very tailored to 2000s British slang which felt a bit dated and was confusing to read. There were so many POVs, with shifts happening regularly and I never really got attached to the characters. I did come to like a few of the later ones, and I appreciated how we got to see different angles of the story.

I liked the world that was created, the short stories, although disjointed and strange, were interesting. I liked how we got an insight into the world in a way that wasn't directly through the characters. I got some themes of anti-modern society and anti-technological advancement which kind of makes me roll my eyes, but they weren't super strong so meh.

The end???? Was not a conclusion??? It just kind of stopped??? I am not impressed by that. So many things were left unwrapped up, we don't even know if our main characters get away. And from the synopsis of the sequel it looks like it follows completely different characters so do we even get answers? There were so many strange threads introduced that were left not wrapped up.
Profile Image for Casusangelus.
190 reviews4 followers
January 28, 2014
Inhalt:
Eigentlich führt der Lehrer Martin Baxter ein schönes Leben in der Kleinstadt Felixstowe. Er hat eine wunderbare Lebensgefährtin und versteht sich sehr gut mit ihren Sohn Paul. Bis plötzlich auf einem Flohmarkt das Kinderbuch Dancing Jacks auftaucht. Erst sind die Veränderungen noch nicht so offensichtlich, denn die Bewohner von Felixstowe sind sowieso noch ganz geschockt von einem großen Unglück vor kurzem. Doch als seine Schüler sich plötzlich merkwürdig benehmen, alle nur vom Leben in Mooncaster reden und sogar die Lehrer angreifen, ahnt Martin, dass Dancing Jacks vielleicht nicht ganz so harmlos ist, wie er angenommen hatte.

Meine Meinung:
Vom Klappentext her hätte mich "Dancing Jax - Auftakt" von Robin Jarvis eigentlich nicht unbedingt interessiert, da er meiner Meinung nach doch ziemlich nichts sagen war und ich nicht wirklich wusste, was mich für eine Geschichte erwarten würde. Es sollte um ein Buch gehen, ein böses Buch, welches die Menschen in seinen Bann zieht, doch das war auch schon alles. Dass ich es gelesen habe, lag eigentlich nur an den Schwärmereien einer gewissen Bloggerin, die einen wirklich zu ��berzeugen weiß ;)

Also nahm ich diesen Trilogie-Auftakt nun endlich vor und fand mich erstmal in einer ganz normalen Kleinstadt wieder, in der der Lehrer Martin Baxter versucht, seinen nichtsnutzigen Schülern die Mathematik näher zu bringen, während eine kleine Gruppe Erwachsener in ein mysteriöses Haus einsteigt und dort einige Kisten voll mit alten Ausgaben von dem Kinderbuch Dancing Jacks findet. Dass ihr Anführer darauf besteht, dass diese wertvoll sind und sie mitnehmen möchte, finden sie selber abgedreht, doch sie gehen ihm bereitwillig zur Hand und bringen die Bücher unter die Leute.

Anfangs fiel es mir ein wenig schwer, mich in die Geschichte rein zu finden, was aber auch größtenteils daran lag, dass ich mit solchen "allwissenden" Erzählern, wie es ihn in diesem Buch gibt, nicht so gut klar komme. Ich mag es halt lieber, wenn man pro Abschnitt nur bei einem Charakter im Kopf ist und nicht immer hin und her springt, aber dies ist halt einfach eine Geschmackssache. Mit der Zeit hatte ich mich dann auch daran gewöhnt, so dass ich dem Buch besser folgen konnte.

Auch die vielen Charaktere, die anfangs auf einen einprasseln, lernt man mit der Zeit kennen, zum Mindest soweit, dass man sie mit Namen einordnen kann und weiß, welche Rolle sie in der Geschichte spielen. Die wichtigen Personen, wie den Mathematiklehrer Martin Baxter oder seinen Stiefsohn Paul darf man auch länger begleiten bei ihrem Kampf gegen den Sog von Dancing Jacks.

Anfangs fand ich das Buch zwar nicht schlecht, aber insgesamt auch nur okay. Doch nach und nach wurde es immer spannender, da ich einfach wissen wollte, wie es denn Dancing Jacks schafft, die Leute in seinen Bann zu ziehen. Und auch, wieso es überhaupt böse sein sollte. Die Lage für diejenigen, die gegen den Sog des Buches ankämpfen, wird mit der Zeit immer aussichtsloser, so dass ich mir einfach nicht vorstellen konnte, wie sie denn noch länger standhalten sollten.

Gut gefallen hat mir auch die Aufmachung des Buches. Am Anfang jedes Kapitels ist entweder ein Textausschnitt oder ein Bild aus dem Buch Dancing Jacks. Genau wie durch die Passagen, die immer mal wieder in die Kapitel eingebaut sind, wenn zum Beispiel eine Person in dem Buch liest, konnte man sich hierdurch gut vorstellen, wie das Leben in Mooncaster, dem Schauplatz von Dancing Jacks, ist.

Fazit:
Nach einigen Startschwierigkeiten hat mich der Auftakt zur "Dancing Jax"-Trilogie von Robin Jarvis dann doch in seinen Bann gezogen und mir eine spannende Geschichte erzählt, bei der ich mir nicht vorstellen kann, wie die Protagonisten dort heil heraus finden. Wer Geschichten in Geschichten mag, wird mit diesem Buch bestimmt viel Freude haben. Von mir bekommt es 4 von 5 Muscheln.
Profile Image for Ана Хелс.
806 reviews74 followers
November 30, 2013
Доста разочароваща книга – експеримент, със страхотни идеи, но малко кинговско изпълнение , от типа лоши неща се случват на нормални хорица в малки незначителни градчета. А няма друг тип истории, които да не понасям толкова органично. Главните герои, които трябва да са добрите протагонисти, са досадни, посредствени, и с нищо непечелещи симпатия, даже напротив – изпитвах топла злоба при всяка неволя, която ги сполетяваше методично по пътя на завладяването на света от големите лоши демони. И когато в една книга не намираш сили да подкрепиш отбор бяла черешка, ами вееш байряка за черна ягодка с цялото си аз, значи има нещо твърде сбъркано. Не казвайте, че е гениална хрумка за целева симпатия към лошите – в никоя книга на Кинг не съм за нормалните хора, които търчат панически пред злите мъртви или немъртви, които се влачат по петите им. Просто нормалната посредственост не ме кара да се идентифицирам с образите, а просто ме вдъхновява да си мечтая за огромен божествен палец, спускащ се от небесата, за да затрие средняшко изпълнените хуманоидни образци като купчинка гърчещи се дървеници.

Историята е несъмнено интересно замислена, признавам - банда бели боклуци намират детска фентъзи книга , прилична на портал към собственото си измерение, отворена от своя създател – предполагаем демон или поне поклонник на дявола, и се почва една кротка асимилация на населението, естествено избираща пълноцветния , забавно зловещ и далеч по-вълнуващ фентъзиен свят, пред сивото си съвременно живуркане. По принципа на изключенията има една шепа неподатливи на отвъдната магия жители, опитващи се да спасят близките и познатия си свят, които за щастие поне в първата част на поредицата не успяват. Именно, за щастие. В останалите две части историята се развива и мащабира, излизайки от дребното селце, но не изпитвам никакъв интерес да разбера как и накъде. Стискам палци за лошите и си чакам ролята на Дама Пика в бъдещия демоничен свят.

Извадките от самата омагьосана книга между другото са брилянтни – мистични, завладяващи, и твърде много по-интересни от описанията на нормалната бълвоч. Ето такава книга ми се иска да мога да прочета, без допълнителни странични ефекти. Може би някоя друга поредица на Джарвис ще стане моето следващо любимо четиво, в което не са забъркани нищо незначещи хорица, а само неродени в нашето измерение великолепни същества, и резултатът ще бъде гениален, тъй като авторов потенциал в никакъв случай не липсва. Дано някой издател я открие.
Profile Image for Sola.
43 reviews2 followers
September 29, 2014
Anfangs machen wir Bekanntschaft mit einer Truppe Kleinkrimineller um Oberhaupt Jezza.
Sie steigen des Nachts in ein leerstehendes Haus ein, obwohl manch Beteiligtem das nicht geheuer ist.
Dort wird Jezza jedoch von einem Geist besessen, der ihn fortan kontrolliert. Jezza ist nun der Ismus, der Heilige Magus, Oberhaupt eines Königreichs aus dem Buch "Dancing Jacks".
Dieses ergreift Besitz vom Geist des Lesers und lässt ihn zu einer Figur aus der Geschichte mutieren. Rasend schnell verbreitet sich die dämonische Schrift in der Kleinstadt und schon bald ist eine komplette Schule "verseucht". Einzig Martin, ein dortiger Lehrer, und seine Familie scheinen dem Wahnsinn die Stirn zu bieten, der sich schnell vom niedlichen Spiel zu bitterbösem Ernst entwickelt.

Ich habe eine Weile gebraucht, um mit Dancing Jax warm zu werden.
Die ersten 200 Seiten haben mich nicht wirklich mitgerissen, ich verharrte in stetiger Spannung, dass ja nun endlich mal was passieren sollte. Es plätschert vor sich hin, wie der Ismus die Bücher verteilt, erste Widerständler gehirnwäscht und schließlich die Schulkinder dem Buch erliegen.
Ich bemängele ich erster Linie, dass man sich zu Beginn etwas allein gelassen fühlt. Da ist diese Gruppe Krimineller und sie werden gar nicht vorgestellt. Man wird mitten in die Handlung geschmissen und ist regelrecht dankbar, wenn man auf Martin trifft, der eine längere Beschreibung genießen darf.

Dann aber entfaltet Dancing Jax eine ähnliche saugende Wirkung, wie das Buch im Buch.
Man ist richtig drin in der irrwitzigen Handlung und kann sich dank der bildlichen Sprache, alles wunderbar vorstellen. Lediglich die Seiten, die Seiten aus Dancing Jacks wiedergeben, habe ich übersprungen. Sie haben für mich ein wenig die Spannung ausgebremst. Dass ich sie nicht gelesen habe, tat dem späteren Verständnis aber keinen Abbruch. Man kann auf sie verzichten.

Nachdem ich also erst befürchtet, einen Fehlkauf getätigt zu haben, hat mich das Buch überzeugt.
Man fiebert mit mit den paar wenigen Persoen, die erfolgreich Gegenwehr leisten. Man ist fasziniert von der Selbstverständlichkeit des kurioses Ismus. Ein Feuerwerk der Charaktere, denn schließlich sind alle Spielkarten zu besetzen und die Figuren derer sind schillernd und schräg.

Ich habe das Buch sehr gerne gelesen und freue mich nun auf den nächsten Band der Trilogie.
Profile Image for Chiara.
139 reviews
November 4, 2019
really entertaining. the storyline makes you think you are going to become one of them.
Profile Image for Jesse Owen.
73 reviews61 followers
April 13, 2011
Dancing Jax starts with the discovery of an old children’s book which has been hidden away in a kind of haunted house which hasn’t been lived in or touched in years. And that’s quite frankly where it should have stayed. You see the book is not just any book and in the words of some of the characters it’s not even that good a book. But it has captured the hearts and minds of many people in a way that can not be healthy.

It’s a dark story and the house that houses the book matches the tone of the book, it’s atmospheric, creepy, dark and feels dangerous – really the last place you’d ever want to go and certainly somewhere to stay away from at night.

As more and more of the children in the local comprehensive start reading and getting hooked on the book things start getting seriously out of control.

I immediately liked Matin Baxter, a teacher at the local comprehensive – I loved the way his character went from seeing the stable, happy life he knew crumble before him and being powerless to stop it to somebody who had to try and stop it and possibly being the only person who could.

I loved the way the writing switches effortlessly between the characters views allowing us to see the story as a whole and to feel how the characters felt as the landscape and the people of the world around was changing. It felt truly creepy as you realised the extent to which the books power had spread.

As much as I loved the story as a whole I had one minor issue and that was the snippets of the Dancing Jax (the book featured) were scattered throughout. Now I loved the tiny paragraphs and images which were used at the start of each chapter – they made the book feel real but I wasn’t too keen on the couple of pages worth which appeared in italics from time to time. I felt they slowed the story down and I didn’t really get anything from them.

The ending was left on a bit of a cliffhanger and I desperately want to know what happens next but that will have to wait until next February (NEXT FEBRUARY – how am I going to wait that long?).
Profile Image for Lucy.
146 reviews11 followers
September 5, 2013
Ok. Ok. I’ll admit- the only reason I bought this book was because of the cover. It is a beautiful cover with a tattoo like picture on the front, with curls of gold spiralling off out of it. It also has a matt-shiny finish on it, with patterns of Clubs, Hearts, Diamonds and Spades. The inside is as beautiful as well. There is a Spade or a Club where the page number is located. Each chapter has either an excerpt from ‘Dancing Jacks’ or a picture. So that was the reason I picked this book up. I barely looked at the synopsis.

‘Dancing Jax’ is about a book which literally brainwashes the community of a small seaside town in the UK. It was a very creepy book especially for me as brainwashing or indoctrination is my own personal fear. The fear is that you no longer have absolute control over your life. It’s a very haunting read, so beware if you are someone who gets scared ridiculously easily.

The characters are very well rounded, however sometimes; they do tend to be a little stereotyped and a little clichéd. However, I really did like the majority of the characters, especially Martin Baxter’s references to fantasy and science fiction.

I really did love the concept but sometimes it was a little slow, it took maybe 150 pages for me to get into it. I really did love the sense of fear/ or a chase against time, who would be the next to get affected by this book?

So I really did enjoy this book and now I cannot wait for the sequel, ‘Freax and Rejex’ but I did find a few flaws in the book.
Profile Image for Lynne weir.
238 reviews27 followers
August 17, 2014
When I started reading this story I did it with confidence thinking there was no way it would scare me. It was in the teenage section and with a book nothing can jump out and scare you and theres no high tension music to set you on edge. How wrong I was. It was exciting, easy to read and most important it was creepy and at parts I hold my hands up and say scary. I couldn't help but feel a little bit of a shiver on the bit about the house at the beginning and the ending...well it was amasing and quite sad. And what a cliff hanger!!! Hardly anything was solved and our hero of the book has barely started his mission. Also trying to find out who in the book would become the hero was hard, everytime I thought to myself 'I like that charactor I bet they are the one to kick this evil in the butt.' And then suddenly they to where under its spell and I was back to square one. Usually when an auther changes to different points of views in a book I get confused, espishally when they do it with no warning. Yet with this story despite constintly changing points of view quickly and suddenly I found I could keep up and knew straight away who head I was now in.

Overall an amasing read and I enjoyed it. Its intertaining, creepy and even funny at some parts and I really loved it and found I couldnt stop reading and even when I did I found I could easily fall back into the story again. Give it a try, you wont regret it. Enjoy!!!
Profile Image for Жор.
268 reviews77 followers
June 6, 2013

Увлекателното в „Танцуващият замък” идва от факта, че начинът на живот, представен както през детската призма, така и през погледа на възрастните, е плашещо близък до този на всеки един от нас. Препратките към песни, имена на телевизионни предавания и прочие, също са популярни и всеки ги е чувал. Децата са пристрастени към техниката и в частност към компютрите, възрастните са работливи пчелички и винаги имат за какво да се оплачат, а фейсбук е неразривна част от ежедневието на (почти) всички. Съвсем като реалния свят, нали?

Profile Image for Bai.
163 reviews42 followers
February 26, 2012
I loved the story of this book. The mythology was superb, as was the writing. The zombie-like card-captives, their mindset and one boy's struggle to escape it, really captivated me. Add to that the short stories that was depicted in the book - the court jester's tricks, the Jack of Diamonds' knavery and the story of the horse.

But amidst it all was the lurking presence of the vile magician and the evil that was the book, slowly ensnaring and captivating its readers...but with a twist ;)

Needless to say, no one will ever say, books are harmless after this.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 161 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.