Start by marking “Encyclopedia Brown Gets His Man (Encyclopedia Brown, #4)” as Want to Read:
Encyclopedia Brown Gets His Man (Encyclopedia Brown, #4)

Encyclopedia Brown Gets His Man (Encyclopedia Brown #4)

4.02  ·  Rating details ·  1,955 Ratings  ·  63 Reviews

Leroy Brown, aka Encyclopedia Brown, is Idaville neighborhood's ten-year-old star detective. With an uncanny knack for trivia, he solves mysteries for the neighborhood kids through his own detective agency. But his dad also happens to be the chief of the Idaville police department, and every night around the dinner table, Encyclopedia helps him solve his most baffling crim

Published September 1st 1982 by Yearling (first published 1967)

Madeline
Jul 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
The Encyclopedia Brown series never disappoints me. It is clever and Encyclopedia is so likable and funny.

As always, Encyclopedia Brown Gets His Man has 10 short stories with cases to solve. Out of these, I think I solved 7 or 8 of them. A couple were really easy if you had been paying attention, but some were pretty tough!

I think my favorite story was The Case of the Murder Man. It was different than the rest since it was about a play written by Encyclopedia instead of a case he had to solve.

Th
Alex Ristea
My last Encyclopedia Brown, and that's OK with me since the appeal is wearing off. The cases aren't quite as fun anymore, and they're becoming more and more of a stretch. It's almost turning into a machine where it's so easy to pump out new cases, which works great for the author and I'm sure many kids (younger me included).

Shelving this to the "happy childhood memories I don't wait to ruin, so I'll leave them alone."

(PS I only solved like three of the cases in this one. I swear I'm not bitter s
Julesmarie
I thought this was better than #3, but not quite as good as #1 or #2. There was significantly less racism/bigotry in this one (yes, I know, they were written in the 1960's, things were different) and there were more puzzle-type mysteries rather than mysteries that required knowledge of obscure facts.

My favorite in this one was the mystery that Encyclopedia came up with to help his friend write the play. The change of approach was fun and refreshing.
Eman710
Mar 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
this is a very good book because it's interesting to me how this kid about 10 years old solves all these cases with the smallest mistakes. his dad is a policeman and the kid Leroy also called encyclopedia solves half of his cases. as i have been reading these books I've actually began to figure out some cases every once in a while.
Tom
Jun 23, 2008 rated it really liked it
This was one of the later mysteries where the series took a dark turn and Encyclopedia has to figure out who killed Sally Kimball's baby. [Spoiler alert: In a shocking twist at the end, it turns out that Sally had an abortion.]
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
There was a bit of longing when I read this book. Encyclopedia's father was so patient and caring with him. He helped Encyclopedia learn without hitting him or calling him stupid. I wish I had a father like Encycopedia's.
Mattea
Mar 17, 2009 rated it really liked it
it was awesome it was going to be the book i read for school but it made me read the hole set
Jerry
Jul 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Fun little mini-mysteries.
Timothy Boyd
Feb 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These are fantastic books. I loved them as a kid. You can solve the mysteries along with Encyclopedia Brown, all the clues are in the story. They make you think. Very recommended for young readers
Timothy McNeil
Sobol doesn't make any glaring errors in this edition (at least none that I spotted), but he has more than one problem with the final mystery.

(view spoiler)
Dolly
Dec 05, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children who enjoy reading mysteries
This is another fun edition of short mysteries in the Encyclopedia Brown series of books by Donald J. Sobol. It's a nostalgic read for me and entertaining for our girls.

We are very slowly making our way through this series. We waited more almost two years after reading books 1 and 2 in this series and almost two more years after reading book 3. But now that our girls are older, they are huge fans.

We read all of the stories over the course of a couple of evenings and our girls were fascinated by
Sheri S.
May 14, 2015 rated it liked it
Idaville, Florida must really be an interesting town with all the crime that goes on there! Once again, Encyclopedia Brown is faced with all kinds of interesting cases to figure out. Somehow, the local police department, run by Encyclopedia's father, can't solve the crimes without the help of a ten year old boy. Encyclopedia also helps on cases presented to him by members of the community. In this book, he must pay attention to such details as whether someone has blueberry stains on his teeth af ...more
David
This is another one of those books I remember reading from the '70s. I think I went through all of the books in the library.

I just noticed something in the front of the book which I haven't seen before.

HEY, KIDS!

Do you have a wacky story to tell about an animal, a fact, a crime, a sport? The funnier and wackier the better! But it must be true.

You can write about it, or enclose a clipping from your local newspaper, or send a note from your parents or teacher verifying the story. If it is included
Tonileg
Jul 29, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, ya-reads
Another fun series of 'cases' that the young sleuth attacks. Let me tell you that the mystery with the coffee smoker was shocking to me as a mother with children because it is just taken as normal that the youngsters in this story will smoke tobacco or coffee?! Wow that really dated the story. I haven't been as shocked since reading the From Russia With Love and Mr. Bond drinks strong liquors before driving out anywhere... yup, drinking and then driving and it is totally normal in the story.
We h
Elisabeth

Leroy Brown, aka Encyclopedia Brown, is Idaville neighborhood’s ten-year-old star detective. With an uncanny knack for trivia, he solves mysteries for the neighborhood kids through his own detective agency. But his dad also happens to be the chief of the Idaville police department, and every night around the dinner table, Encyclopedia helps him solve his most baffling crimes. And with ten confounding mysteries in each book, not only does Encyclopedia have a chance to solve them, but the reader i

Jeanne
May 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
For being written at a second grade reading level, I think this book was really well written. IT is a very early-reader, Chapter Book. And, sure Encyclopedia Brown books seems a litle "formulaic" but I believe young readers need a little bit of that familiarity when they are starting out.

I also like these books because they are a little more interactive, and you aren't just sitting there passively reading. You are thinking about the mystery, and allowed enough think time, to try to think of the
The Styling Librarian
Jul 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books, mystery
Encyclopedia Brown Gets His Man by Donald J. Sobol - Mystery, 3rd grade and up – Just finished this 4th book in the series. Still love them. Still enjoy solving the mysteries with my kiddo. I was a bit thrown when I heard that there are talks about turning Encyclopedia Brown into a movie. I never watched the HBO adaptation of the series, not so sure I’m excited about a movie… but I bet my kiddo will be! http://www.csmonitor.com/Books/chapte...
Raja99
Aug 01, 2008 rated it liked it
I've read this book before; I'm not sure how many times. I hadn't planned on rereading it all now, but it was hard to stop.

I was surprised by how many times I remembered the critical clue before I reread it. The only story where I didn't remember the critical clue at all was the ninth, "The Case of the Murder Man"; for that one, I actually reread it, trying to figure it out. I'm not sure whether I did figure it out, or whether reading it twice reminded me.

(Finished 2008-07-31 17:22 EDT.)
Rhonda
Feb 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
I loved this series when I was a kid and it was so much fun revisiting it. Each book has a series of mysteries that Encyclopedia Brown solves. They are only a few pages long, and the solution is not told, but is available at the end of the book. I was worried these stories would be really dated, but they seem to have stood the test of time (at least, this particular one does).

I think a good age range for these books would be upper elementary school.
Emily
Mar 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
Although I had heard of Encyclopedia Brown growing up, I had never read one of the books. After reading this book, I was disappointed to have not read it sooner. It was such a fun read and kept me wanting to know more. I liked how to stopped once the story was over so the reader could see if they could figure out the villain. This is great to introduce when students are learning about details. They must watch out for small details to figure out the case.
Mskychick
Reread Warcry by Elizabeth Vaughan
This is a placeholder, or rather a place counter, since stupid GoodReads does not allow one to count re-read books towards one's total book read count for the year.
Even though I've read the book before, I READ THE DAMN BOOK THIS YEAR, AND IT COUNTS TOWARD MY F#%KING COUNTS!
Stupid Goodreads *grumble, grumble*
Calvin  Kwon
Jul 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I like the book so much that I dont' know what to say. The series is about a boy detective and at the end of every book, there is an answer to the mystery. There are many mysteries in one book. Encyclopedia Brown's real name is Leroy and he's 11 years old and his dad Chief Brown is the best police officer in Idaville where he lives.
Silver De
Sep 10, 2014 rated it it was ok
What did you think of this book? Why did you give it a rating of 2?

The book was very boring except for the three stories i've listed the case of the broken vase, murder man, the case of blue berry pie.
Alex
The third book in the "re-reads with my Dad".

This one provided a lot of entertainment, as once again the "solutions" really didn't solve anything. I'm really having a lot of fun reading these and laughing over them.

3 stars for nostalgia's sake.
Carman
Oct 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
Encyclopeida loves to help right wrongs. He helps adults as well as the neigborhood kids solve mysteries. These short cases are short enough to keep a second grader's interest, but include enough clues that children can process the information and find the bad guy just like Encyclopedia.
Hayley Ridley
Dec 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These books are amazing! I have only read a few of them, but I already love them. they are increasingly funny. The author is brilliant!
Melissa
Aug 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
A lot of fun. Especially to listen to during a drive.
Acton
Oct 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: charlie
This was another great Encyclopedia Brown book. I really liked it.
Melissa Namba
Aug 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
I loved encyclopedia brown when I was a kid and I think this book so holds up. the mysteries aren't made obsolete by technology so I think kids today will still have fun going through the series.
Mike
Dec 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: completed-series
I had trouble with one of the tricky ones, and found the clues weak on another, but Encyclopedia Brown is still on his game!
  • The Return of the Great Brain (#6)
  • A Thief at the National Zoo (Capital Mysteries #9)
  • The Mystery Of Chimney Rock (Choose Your Own Adventure, #5)
  • The Mystery of the Carnival Prize (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #9)
  • Something Queer at the Library (Something Queer Mysteries, Book 3)
  • The Basketball Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #68)
  • Nate The Great And The Lost List (Nate The Great)
  • The Deadly Curse of Toco-Rey (The Cooper Kids Adventures, #6)
  • The Missing Chums (Hardy Boys, #4)
  • Artsy-Fartsy
  • Cupcake Cousins (Cupcake Cousins, #1)
  • Detective Stories
Donald J. Sobol was an award-winning writer best known for his children's books, especially the Encyclopedia Brown mystery series. Mr. Sobol passed away in July of 2012.
More about Donald J. Sobol...

Encyclopedia Brown (1 - 10 of 28 books)
  • Encyclopedia Brown, Boy Detective (Encyclopedia Brown, #1)
  • Encyclopedia Brown and the Case of the Secret Pitch (Encyclopedia Brown, #2)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Finds the Clues (Encyclopedia Brown, #3)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Solves Them All (Encyclopedia Brown, #5)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Keeps the Peace (Encyclopedia Brown, #6)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Saves the Day
  • Encyclopedia Brown Tracks Them Down (Encyclopedia Brown, #8)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Shows the Way (Encyclopedia Brown, #9)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Takes the Case (Encyclopedia Brown, #10)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Lends a Hand (Encyclopedia Brown, #11)