Start by marking “Hungry Girl 300 Under 300: 300 Breakfast, Lunches & Dinner Dishes Under 300 Calories” as Want to Read:

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  696 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
78218750018 Features: -Title: Hungry Girl 300 Under 300. -Sub title: 300 Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner Dishes Under 300 Calories. -ISBN: 0312676816. -ISBN 13: 9780312676810. -General subject: Cooking. -Subject: Cooking / health and healing / weight control. Subject: -Cooking. Country of Manufacture: -United States. Age Group: -Adults. Dimensions: Overall Height - Top to Bott ...more
Published March 29th 2011 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published March 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Hungry Girl 300 Under 300, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hungry Girl 300 Under 300

Elizabeth
Jul 05, 2011 rated it it was ok
Hungry girl offers great inspiration, but the use of too many artificial sweeteners and processed foods keep me from making her recipes. Healthy means less chemicals.

I'm a pretty good cook and I don't follow recipes well. I cook more by feel. I like the inspiration, but I would definitely borrow this book from the library (as I did) as opposed to purchasing it. That said, if you're an inexperienced cook, this just might work well for you.
Jen
Oct 12, 2011 rated it it was ok
I was really excited about this cookbook because I've been trying to lose a significant amount of weight over the last year or so.

Unfortunately, my issue with a lot of HG's recipes is that they involved some very chemical-like food. Not a lot of whole foods are used in the book. The recipes are nice though as they're meant to serve 1-2 people, so for just my husband and I the portioning was perfect. There are many other places to get great, healthy recipes and cooking tips, I think my $30 could
Linda Weisholtz
Mar 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: dieters
Another great cookbook from Lisa Lillien.
Marathon County Public Library MCPL
Hungry Girl, was created by Lisa Lillien because, as she states in her book, “I’m just hungry”. This calorie counting cookbook certainly doesn’t fall into the category of having dull and boring diet recipes. Every one of the plain and simple recipes featured in this book are “guilt free”. Breakfast Scramble Pizza, Chicken Pot Pockets, Cheeseburger Mac Attack, and Red, White and Blue Nachos are just some of the recipes. Each one has nutritional information, ingredient substitutions and clear dire ...more
Charla Wilson
Apr 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
This is the second cookbook that I have read by Lisa Lillien. I loved the first and was not disappointed with this one either. She offers several recipes for breakfast bowls that are under three hundred calories, but taste wonderful. I tend to wake up hungry and want something quick and these fit the bill. She also offers several crock pot recipes. I love these because you just throw it in the pot in the morning and by dinner time, it is ready. I have cooked her barbecue pulled pork and even my ...more
Scarlett Sims
Dec 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: leisure, non-fic, food
This was my first encounter with the Hungry Girl. I picked up the cookbook because I wanted ideas for healthy cooking after the tornado. The pros are that the stuff is really easy to make, and filling. To keep the portion sizes filling, a lot of substitutions are used. This could be a good or bad thing, depending on whether you like the ingredients she's using. I do, and I found out about a lot of awesome low-calorie items, like tofu shirataki and laughing cow creamy swiss wedges, with which you ...more
Megan Anderson
Jan 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
There are definitely some recipes I'm going to try from this (I'm looking at you, every single egg-mug and smoothie in the bunch), but so many of the recipes seem to require a tablespoon of various ingredients, it makes me wonder how long any of it can keep. I get really sick of the same food over and over, and I don't want food to go bad if I can help it.

However, seeing the numbers on each different recipe is incredibly helpful. I like that it lists protein, carbs, and sodium along side the tr
Ky
Jan 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Another good cookbook by Ms. Lillien. Again, like the other books, I'd recommend using this if you're cooking for 1 or 2, maybe 3 at the most. I would say this cookbook is targeted mostly towards college age and single gals, but there are certainly some recipes in here that my hubby enjoys as well. I gave this a slightly lower score than some of her other cookbooks because some of the recipes seem overly simplified in order to bulk up the book. I could have thought of some of the three ingredien ...more
Cherish
Nov 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
In 2012:
Loved this book! Tried some of the recipes and I love them! I love her books!!

In 2015: Now that I have done her Hungry Girl Diet twice and opened myself up to things I never thought I would try (using crushed Fiber One cereal and Shirataki noodles), I wanted to go through her recipes again. I still love her ideas and combinations as much as I did the first time I was introduced to her. The Skinny Elvis is my Favorite!!
Caity
Jan 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
I bought this book several years ago when I was in love with the 200 under 200 version of this book, I stopped using both of them for quite awhile and looking at them now I'm not as impressed. That said I think this is the better of the two cookbooks it has some more creative recipes and seems to rely a little less on the super processed products. It is still probably not something I'd purchase today but I will use some of the recipes since I already have it.
Kristi
May 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite cook books. Great recipes and quick and easy. Cheesy chicken enchiladas was a big hit with my family. I also love the breakfast in a mug recipes there are tons of them. They are quick 2 miute recipes to that kids can even cook. Who would have thought of egg omllets in a mug?
Monique
Feb 20, 2012 rated it liked it
Interesting cookbook but not my cup of tea. Large number of recipes have laughing cow cheese, sugar substitute (which I hate) and soy milk. The trios (recipes with only 3 ingredients sparked my interests but my family won't be into them. These would be great options for folks with less demanding taste buds. Hungry Girl got a good game going on.
Leslie
Jun 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
There are several recipes that I hope to try from this. In normal Hungry Girl style, there are a lot of recipes using Fiber One and artificial sweeteners that I won't try. However, all-in-all I think there were some good new suggestions for things that I can modify and keep low in fat without using all fat-free products, artificial sweeteners, or Fiber One.
Amy Adams
Nov 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this quirky little cookbook. The meals are super easy to prepare, and each serving is under 300 calories. I like that it's organized by meal time, and within that, they're grouped by category. To me, a lot of the recipes could've been omitted and just put as variations on other recipes (e.g., some of the egg mugs or scrambles), but overall, this is a great, quick and easy cookbook!
M
Aug 23, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: food-related
Overall, the foods in this book are not my style. I don't do pasta dishes, for example. However, the Major Mocha Cappuccino Oatmeal is something I must try. Also, most of her recipes call for odd amounts of things like 1 Tbsp of sour cream. I would just end up throwing the rest away. I supposed it's all your preference on this book.
Lisa
Dec 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book has 300 recipes. Many are not things I would want to eat, but with so many I found plenty of great 330 calorie or less meals. This will work great to promote healthier eating and watch calories too.
Tapley
Jan 26, 2014 added it
These are recipes I want to try from this book:
salad version of In&Out Burger
Mexican shrimp and corn salad
Asian bbq shrimp salad
cheesesteak salad
Nacho salad
Cajun fish, bean, and veggie foil pack
fish tacos
BBQ chicken quesadilla
faux fried calamari
crock pot chicken and sausage gumbo
Julie
Apr 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cooking
I really really like Hungry Girl. She has tons of yummy low-cal food ideas. I especially like her breakfast ideas (egg mugs in the microwave and oatmeal stuff). If I didn't have kids and was more serious about losing weight I would probably live by her stuff.
Rachel Bishop
Feb 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I just finished going through this cookbook and bookmarked a bunch of recipes. Can't wait to try them! They all look simple, fast, and healthy. Planning on making an egg mug this morning for breakfast!
Cally Mitchell
Aug 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Awesome cookbook for those who are either watching their weight, or trying to shed pounds. I've made many of these recipes and it doesn't taste like diet food. Even the hubby loves when I cook out of this book! Absolutely wonderful!!
Crystal
Feb 19, 2011 rated it did not like it
I was a bit underwhelmed with this book. I was hoping to find some great recipes, but I didn't get more than 1 or 2 that looked okay. There were lots of recipes that were almost "too simple" and juvenile. Not one I recommend.
Cate P
May 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I am in love with this cookbook. It is the best Hungry Girl cookbook so far. I haven't had a bad recipe yet from this book and I've tried about 30 so far.

Favorite recipes:
~Sweet Apple & Onion stirfry with chicken
~ Hawaiian Tuna Salad
~ Chicken apple sandwiches
Catherine
Aug 03, 2013 rated it it was ok
Too many short cuts and processed foods for my taste.
Siobhan
Sep 25, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: cookbooks
Every single recipe uses "liquid egg substitute", whatever that is - I want recipes with REAL food!

Betty Decker
May 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I love Hungry Girl. I am only half-way through this book and already have 25 recipes I want to try.
Suellen
Apr 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbook
Another fantastic cookbook by Lisa Lillien.
Jocelyn Montalvo Cullum
Sep 04, 2016 marked it as to-read
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
James
Jun 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I found about 10 recipes that I plan to try/use, but the calorie-saving techniques underpinning the recipes were much more important.
Angi614c
Oct 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I'm still going thru alllllllll the great recipes in this boos so many its kinda overwhelming but i luv all hg books cant wait for her app 2 come out and i REALLY HOPE HER OWN FOOD LINE SOON!!!!!
Amber
Apr 26, 2011 rated it liked it
This recipe book had a lot of great ideas. Many I found, I could not implement because I am not a fan of the Tofu Shirataki Noodles. Very creative.
Glue the and then things like 1 1 Aug 03, 2015 10:23PM
Goodreads Librari...: ISBN0312676816 2 18 Aug 24, 2011 01:00PM
  • Now Eat This! Diet
  • The Steamy Kitchen Cookbook: 101 Asian Recipes Simple Enough for Tonight's Dinner
  • 400 Calorie Fix : Slim Is Simple : 400 Ways to Eat 400 Calorie Meals
  • The Family Cooks: 100+ Recipes Guaranteed to Get Your Family Craving Food That's Simple, Fresh, and Incredibly Good for You
  • Southern Plate: Classic Comfort Food That Makes Everyone Feel Like Family
  • I Spy DIY Style: Find Fashion You Love and Do It Yourself
  • I Can't Believe It's Not Fattening!: Over 150 Ridiculously Easy Recipes for the Super Busy
  • The Kimchi Chronicles: Korean Cooking for an American Kitchen
  • Peas and Thank You: Simple Meatless Meals the Whole Family Will Love
  • Top Chef the Cookbook
  • The Casserole Queens Cookbook: Put Some Lovin' in Your Oven with 100 Easy One-Dish Recipes
  • The Eat-Clean Diet Cookbook 2: Over 150 brand new great-tasting recipes that keep you lean!
  • The Fresh 20 Cookbook: 20 ingredients = 5 healthy and delicious weeknight dinners
  • Paula Deen's Southern Cooking Bible: The New Classic Guide to Delicious Dishes with More Than 300 Recipes
  • Living Raw Food: Get the Glow with More Recipes from Pure Food and Wine
  • Eat What You Love: More Than 300 Incredible Recipes Low in Sugar, Fat, and Calories
  • The Lodge Cast Iron Cookbook: A Treasury of Timeless, Delicious Recipes
  • More Diners, Drive-ins and Dives: A Drop-Top Culinary Cruise Through America's Finest and Funkiest Joints
The creator of HungryGirl.com shares her best tips, recipes, and advice to live a healthy and full life!"

Lisa Lillien is not a nutritionist, she's just hungry. She's the founder of Hungry Girl, the website and daily email service providing approximately one million fans with guilt-free recipes, food and product reviews, dieting news, shockers and more. She also writes weekly columns for WeightWatc
More about Lisa Lillien...