Start by marking “The Eye of Ra (Repeating History #1)” as Want to Read:
The Eye of Ra (Repeating History #1)

The Eye of Ra

(Repeating History #1)

What do you do when you accidentally destroy your history teacher's prized collection of historical artifacts? If you're teenaged delinquents, Aston and Grant, this is more than just a rhetorical question. They've made a huge mistake, one that might cost them everything. Adding to their misery, their history teacher's name is Merlin. Yes, that Merlin, and the answer to the ...more
Published (first published May 15th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Eye of Ra, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Eye of Ra

Teal
This is supposedly YA, but it read very, very young -- I'm no expert on how these classifications are made, but I thought it seemed more like middle-grade. The writing was very simple, the boys' language was unrealistically clean, and there was an exuberant excess of exclamation marks. I threw in the towel at 35% and skipped quickly through the remainder of the book, so for all practical purposes this was a DNF for me.
Line
Aug 07, 2018 marked it as maybe  ·  review of another edition
Freebie at DSP right now: https://www.dreamspinnerpress.com/boo...
Serena Yates
Juvenile delinquents, at least the somewhat harmless, fictional kind in this novel, can be kind of fun. To be more precise, I enjoyed seeing the world from Aston’s perspective. As he tells the story of his adventure of traveling back in time with a fellow “inmate” at the Stanton school for boys, I was amused, curious what would happen, and entertained by all the pomp and circumstance they encounter in Ancient Egypt. Dakota has done a great job developing this world, and since it was all about th ...more
Levi
Apr 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc-s, mm-romance
Full review is coming at :

OptimuMM - Home of MM Book Reviews
description

3.5 Star

Well, this was a short and fun read.

I would recommend this book to the youngsters as it has no sexual content at all.

The story is about Aston and Grant who ends up in a boys’ school. Actually, they were sentenced by a judge as a result of their doing. They come from opposite poles of society and end up as roommates.

They don’t really have time to be roomies because, against all the promises, Aston swore to keep his head down, no
J.M.
I really enjoyed this story. At first I was afraid the self-proclaimed “delinquents” would be unsympathetic, or the time travel plot unbelievable, but I shouldn’t have worried. The story is told from Aston’s point of view and from the opening scene when he’s in court for hot-wiring a car, I felt him relatable. Though Aston sees Grant in the courtroom, they don’t actually get thrown together until they’re both “sentenced” to a private all-boys school for a year.

The only real complaint I had about
Natosha Wilson
May 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was actually a very interesting read. I was skeptical because I am not really one for historical times but this is one of those books that will actually suck you in and leave you wanting more.

Dakota Chase did an excellent job of making history interesting, which says a lot since history was my least favorite subject in school. So to say I was impressed by how interesting this read was is saying something.

What happens when two men/boys who have never met previously meet by pure coincidence w
Sala Bim
4.5 stars. This was a very nice Young Adult story about two (sort of) trouble-making, misfit boys who land at an all boys school with other troubled boys. While there they meet, bicker and then get sent back in time on a mission to recover a lost Egyptian artifact that they destroyed. I enjoyed this story more than I had anticipated. No sex, and it was kind of sweet and tender, like I like it. One thing I really appreciated about this story was that it does a good job of normalizing homosexualit ...more
VVivacious
A ScatteredThoughtsandRogueWords Review. This review can also be found here.

2.5 Stars

Aston and Grant are at odds with each other almost from the moment they first see each other. Besides the fact that they are both delinquents serving out their sentence in the Stanton School for Boys they have nothing in common. But they have no idea what the future has in store for them.

Aston thinks he is in enough trouble as it is but when a fight with Grant accidentally leads to a fire in their history teache
Lizzy
I downloaded a copy of this E-Book while it was free on Amazon. This is my personal Review

Book Notes:
Format: E-book
Title: The Eye of Ra-I like the title
Cover: Shades of Gold backing, Blue writing, people running - I like it

About the Book:
Two teenagers, Aston and Grant, are sent to an all-boys school for delinquents, their last chance before the Juvenile Detention Center. But due to an altercation, the duo might just end up there if they don't replace their teacher's lost items, the first item
Joyfully Jay
May 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kirsty
A Joyfully Jay review.

The Eye of Ra is the first book in Dakota Chase’s Repeating History series and is an angst-free young adult novel, which is also informative and educational.

I really like the fact that Aston is the story’s first-person narrator. His rhetoric is light-hearted and he is able to bring humor to even the most dramatic of situations.

Aston’s narration is also very direct and I think this adds a fun tone, which means The Eye of Ra is easy to read and yes, Chase’s audience
Goth Gone Grey
Aug 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, fiction
Action! History! Romance!

This is a fairly quick, action filled book about two juvenile delinquents, Aston and Grant, sentenced to a school after being caught stealing. (They're thieves but pretty bad at it, apparently.)

In a moment of stress, rage, and anger, they accidentally become arsonists and are sent on a mission by their mysterious teacher to replace an item that was destroyed in the fire. The task sends them back to ancient Egypt, which immerses the reader into Egyptian history, from sm
Desi
Sep 10, 2018 rated it liked it
A great adventure, though more simplistic than necessary for the age group. The boys in the book are 17, but the writing is young enough that an 11 year old would love it. I appreciated the normalizing of homosexual feelings. No bad language, or sexuality, though there is a war scene with some bloody storytelling, though still safe for the 11 year old age range. I really wish this were written with more complexity because the story idea is captivating.

I would place this title with Rick Riordan t
Calley Alcala
Decent for a quick read

Easy to read...reminds me of the magic tree house books but then the author has to throw in romance between the two lead male characters...the romance pieces felt forced like she had to change magic school house which is a brother and sister into two boys. Fine, but had to make them gay too? I grow tired of folks forcing people and characters to be something just to add it in....without all the juvenile kissing and tents popping it was a decent read.
Rissa
Sep 05, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-read, freebies
This is a new to me author so I didn't know what to expect but it was an exciting one!

Aston and Grant, kids, going back in time, meeting King Tut! :) I like how Aston and Grant's relationship developed and is developing!

The going back to history was interesting! I learned a bit more about that history with Tut, Nefertiti, and Ay! Even Egyptian customs and such. Super interesting!

I hope to read more of the series!
Dave Bennett
The story was good

I enjoyed most of the story except the main players. Why do we need that. Does it have any relevant to the story. That is like the sex scene that gets chucked into a movie, do we need it? NO, so why put it in, is it just to distract from an otherwise excellent storyline.
allie
Aug 23, 2018 rated it liked it
a fun read. aston and grant are both morons, which i appreciate. my only qualm is that i feel like the author isn't sure what age group she's writing for—definitely younger readers, but sometimes it feels like it's for junior high kids, while other times it seems more geared towards high school kids. still a really enjoyable book though, so i'll probably read the next two eventually.
Kamylyon
Aug 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A new take on history.

Aston and Grant will never look at history the same again.
Thanks to their teacher, Mr. Ambrosius, the boys embark on a mission to replace an artifact, destroyed in the fire they caused during an altercation in their teacher's office. Oh, did I forget to mention? Mr. Ambrosius' first name... Merlin!
Yes, THAT Merlin!
Melanie
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words Review

Rating: 5 stars out of 5

For the full review visit https://wp.me/p220KL-edw

For all our reviews, check out http://scatteredthoughtsandroguewords...
C. Coleman
The characterizations of the two protagonists were very well developed. The initial plot went well, too. When it got into the Egyptian phase, IMHO, it got cheesy lacking both credibility and depth. It's an easy read.
Virginia
Sep 19, 2018 rated it liked it
this was cute, but was a bit one dimensional. seemed written for middle grade, but the content & characters were decidedly teen? reading them on hoopla to fall asleep and they're engaging enough but I'd like some other povs (or at least more formation of characters outside of Aston)
Blackrei
Sep 12, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: magic, mm, serie, teenagers-ya
everything was meh : the story, the MC (that's why I really should stop stories with teenagers)
Maggie
Feb 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Rating 3.5
Wessel Gordon
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book with its mix of mischief, magic and mayhem (and oh, a good dose of history).

I'm looking forward to the next installment in this adventure.
Susan Quaite
I thought it a bit young. More so than just a YA. I was disturbed by the pre-sex scenes in a book that was written for such young readers.
Kath
Aug 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is an excellent adventure story. I only wish I had been prepared for the personal side. I'm not saying I would not have read it anyway. I just prefer understanding what I am about to read.
Karen Turner
Sep 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
A very interesting way to deal with juvenile delinquents that destroy valuable property-even though it was an accident. Will have to read more on repeating history.
Katie
I love this book!
Excellent story idea, believable characters, interesting elements, the love story, and the normalcy and ease with which the story evolves.
Theresa
Aug 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read on one day. Simple but entertaining.
Debra
Jan 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, historical
Very imaginative.
Jamie Fessenden
Jun 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gay, ya, fantasy
Very entertaining YA novel about two teenage boys traveling back to ancient Egypt and attempting to retrieve an amulet from King Tut, while getting wrapped up in the intrigues surrounding the young king. As J.M. pointed out in another review, I was bothered by an odd gap that occurred after the two boys have a fight, which has some serious repercussions. They wait four days to see what will happen to them, during which time we are told nothing of their interraction with each other as roommates. ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Tapestry
  • Seidman
  • Rise of Heroes (Masks #1)
  • Eye of the Storm (Lords of Arcadia, #2)
  • The Battle for Jericho
  • By the Creek
  • All The Colors Of Love
  • Heartless (Keeping Secrets #1)
  • Queeroes
  • Cold Moon (Moon, #3)
  • Love Is In The Message (Love, #3)
  • Don't Judge a Book by its Cover (Most Popular Guy in the School, #1)
  • Bullied
  • Outfield Menace
  • Running With the Pack
  • Without Sin
  • The Boy Who Couldn't Fly Straight (The Broom Closet Stories #1)
  • Bleeding Hearts (Killian Kendall, #1)

Repeating History (4 books)
  • Hammer of the Witch (Repeating History, #2)
  • Mammoth! (Repeating History, #3)
  • Alcatraz! (Repeating History #4)