Start by marking “A Mighty Fortress” as Want to Read:
A Mighty Fortress

A Mighty Fortress

(Safehold #4)

Young Cayleb Ahrmahk has accomplished things few people could even dream of. Not yet even thirty years old, he's won the most crushing naval victories in human history. He's smashed a hostile alliance of no less than five princedoms and won the hand of the beautiful young Queen Sharleyan of Chisholm. Cayleb and Sharleyan have created the Charisian Empire, the greatest nava ...more
Published March 1st 2011 by Tor Science Fiction (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about A Mighty Fortress, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Mighty Fortress

Group_Captain_Lionel_Mandrake
A lot of talky-talk, very little plot. Talk about sound and fury signifying nothing! Geez, Weber get on with the story, already. Too many characters. How come every other word is spelled properly EXCEPT for characters names? Would it have been asking too much for Zhamsyn Clyntahn to be Jamison Clinton or Hauwered Wylsyn to be Howard Wilson? For Pete's sake it is hard enough to break through 800 some odd pages of this book to get to the other side, and to have to pay a bunch of money for it, but ...more
Chris Perrin
Dec 20, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am of two minds on this book. Let's start with the good.

Let me say with no hesitation that had I never read any Honor Harrington books, I would be the Safehold series' biggest fan. It has action, politics, characters to cheer for, villians who are villians not because they are eeeevil, but because they have a different (though understandable) viewpoint.

So, if you haven't read Honor Harrington, stop readig this review right now and go buy the entire Safehold series.

Sadly, I have read pretty muc
Jeffrey
Feb 20, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: If your into the series only
Shelves: read-in-2010
Boring. Two little plot advancement, too little science, a lot of talking. Feels like the last few Weber books in the Honor Harrington series, and I do not mean that in a good way.

Weber devotes a lot of time to discussing the bad guys and their strategy. He also devotes a lot of time to the Prime Directive. In other words, how much do we tell the natives about the powerful Merlin in their midst. Lost in this 600 pages is the original story of how Merlin advances science.

Now the only seeming scie
Kathy Davie
Fourth in the Safehold military science fiction series that blends high tech with early 19th century weapons. It's a war of David and Goliath proportions pitting the valiant Empire of Charis against the might and power of a corrupt Church.

My Take
It's all so reasonable with Green Valley thrilled to be blending his marines with the Chisholmian army — their soldiers have taken Green Valley's tactical ideas and absorbed and improved them. Cayleb is insisting that Chisholmians are treated exactly the
John
Sep 17, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-fantasy
I like a lot of what DW does, but the editing on this one is terrible. Corisande and Charis are not the same place, and there were several other places where names did not get cleaned up properly.

Also this series is getting bogged down in moving the fleets and the plot from place to place. The world would be just as enjoyable, or actually more enjoyable to read about if it were about half as large as it seems to be.

Some great ideas, but this story needs to speed up or end.
Dan
Jan 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
Another superb installment in this great series!
Louis
In this book Weber continues the Safehold series where he is able to go back to the ship battles of old. The problem is that in this book he is dealing more with the description of the politics than in the action. Basically the balance is way off. Part of the problem is the increased number of people that are being tracked. In the past books in the series, he dealt with four of five players as they interacted with secondary ones (even if in some cases those secondaries were more important in the ...more
Lindsay Stares
Jul 27, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This series seriously needs a “Last Time, On Safehold...” prologue. I'm not going to re-read, or even re-skim, one or more additional 600-plus page doorstops to reorient myself in preparation for reading this one. This is part four, incidentally, of what seems to now be shaping up to be Arthurian motifs plus Protestant Reformation plus Industrial Revolution plus Interminable Boring Warfare, In Space.

After the action pace of By Heresies Distressed, A Mighty Fortress felt like filler. Not much hap
Elizabeth Galewski
Why do I read these Safehold books?!?! Unlike the Honor Harrington series, in which Weber held me rapt with an increasingly complicated and humanized protagonist, these books feature a robot who doesn't evolve or grow. And I often get the sense that nothing much actually happens in a given volume of this series. Yet I still tend to queue the next one up when I'm done with the last. And at times, I even act as though I am addicted to them.

Perhaps I just like the violent battle scenes. These are u
Guy
Overlong given the paucity of plot advancement and character development, frankly the book could have used a rigorous edit. By this time in the series we know most of the major characters and the issues they are wrestling with well enough so as not to need additional detailed exposés of what they think and why they do and don't do things and what the implications of minor events are. Weber would be well-advised to concentrate on advancing the plot while providing detailed exposition only of the ...more
Shannon
Sep 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
BEWARE: I DON'T THINK I PUT IN SPOILERS, BUT SINCE I'M A BIT HAZY AS TO WHAT THEY ARE, I MIGHT BE WRONG!
This is the 4th book in the saga. So much to like about it, but some stuff that gets in the way of rapture. For an Honor Harrington fan, it does not disappoint. Whereas the Honorverse deals in political ideological themes attached to a kind of female Horatio Hornblower in space, the Safeholdian universe deals in another version of grand mariner saga, only this time, the ideological themes rel
Johnny
Jan 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Although the title of this fourth book in the fabulous Armageddon’s Reef series doesn’t mean exactly what Martin Luther meant when he penned that poem/hymn in our world, A Mighty Fortress is an appropriate title for a work that brilliantly weaves science-fiction concepts and background into a world where a parallel Reformation (and in this volume, Counter-Reformation) is occurring. I sometimes read fiction for pure escape value, but this series both deepens my real faith and helps me reflect on ...more
Alistair
This is the fourth book in what must turn out to be a never ending series of "Safehold" novels from Weber. The size and scope of the Safehold world and the increasing cast of charaters introduced by Weber, and the authors own sometimes cumbersome writing style (why use one word when you can use three) insurers that this book at over 700 pages does not move the overall plot along very much.

This is the problem, I am not sure at this point what the end game is in this series of books....is it the o
Ray Dambrose
Aug 18, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Reading this book was like watching a TV series where all your favorite characters decided to drop the show. You barely get to see the main characters, and honestly, what I saw of Merlin (my favorite character) seemed infuriatingly uncharacteristic. The rest was barely more than political discussion from secondary characters. The series started so strong! The second and third books kept getting progressively political, but the characters held my attention. Without that, I have little desire to c ...more
Roger
Sep 16, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Should have been the kind of story I enjoy....but after way too many chapters, the character development left no characters one could care about at all.
Child960801
May 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels
The series continues. Things happen. There is a conversation in this book between two named female characters and it isn't about a man. There might even be two in this book.
Scott Holstad
Aug 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Oh.My.God. I can't believe I finally finished this near-1200 page monster of a book! It was brutal at times. I usually try to write complete or thorough reviews after reading a book, but I'm afraid I won't for this one. Just too damn long, too damn much. So, a short review for a long book.

This is the fourth book in Weber's Safehold series. It's not a standalone book. You need to start with the first one and read them in order to know what's going on and who's who. In this book, the Empire of Cha
Joe
May 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These are my kind of book, tightly written, fast moving plots with frequent shifts in the action. They are also all around 285,000 words or around 700 to 800 pages! Weber's created world is interesting, and just like in his spectacularly engrossing Honorverse series, he makes the characters real to you. You begin to expect things or find things satisfying because of how they begin to become real people you'd want to know, or truly hate! There is FAR too much going on in each of these books for m ...more
Daniel
May 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
5 minutes later:
This feels like another leadup book instead of something with substance unto itself.

There was some politics, but its mostly just a few plots getting wrapped up so we can move forward.

There were a few rather satisfying moments. And moments where a few characters really shined. But there were equally frustrating moments, and more of them (especially those related to 'the circle' complaining how spoiled they are)
Basically I expected a lot more from a book over 1000 pages long.

Over
Robert Aldrich
Aug 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good addition to series

This book was a monster in size, but I loved reading it. There is a lot of great things that take place--great as in for the story, because some of them are actually truly horrible.

I have really enjoyed reading this series. My biggest beef remains the names, and I sometimes get lost in who is who because of the strange twisting of the names, but I deal with it.
Jules Bertaut
This one had more fighting and less speeching than the last one in this series, which is good.

One thing I like about this series is the good guys have given up torture because it's Wrong. Some of the bad guys scorn them for that, because it makes them "weak" but those guys are also mostly kinda cartoonishly awful and this is just another way they're awful. I appreciate a strong anti-torture stance.
Lee Belbin
Weber is a tad verbose for me, but many would say meticulous when it comes to character development and social interactions. There were a few places where I skipped the inevitables like what someone was wearing and tedious minor conversations that didn't relate to the main game. That said, it is a good read and buil obviously on the previous in the series. This one moved too slowly for me, but after a break, I'll continue on to see the inevitable win by the goodies.
izawoodsman
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
I am basically reading this because I want to know how the idea plays out. I have already decided this is one of those times where an author had a really good idea and then totally destroyed it with writing style. I might feel otherwise if I were an avid follower of galleon war tactics, but I do believe this is filed under science fiction.
Tm Buffalo
Jun 23, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Oh vey this one was not very good at all sad but it seemed like very little plot development lots of talking and thinking this series seems bogged down or stretched out not sure if I will read any farther too many names and folks to keep track of sad really I wanted to like it but had to force myself to skim and plow thru to the end.
Brandon Luffman
Jul 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Definitely one of those "connecting books" you often come across when reading a series, but still a reasonable amount of forward movement in the story. This series is all about geek wish fulfilment, bringing military technology to less advanced civilizations and seeing what they do with it. There wasn't as much of that sort of fun in this book, but what was there was spectacular.
Jeff Evans
Oct 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Good Popcorn Thinker

If you have time and enjoy a good vs. evil story with just the right amount of science fiction. My only issue with the book is the sometimes too convenient solutions to larger societal issues which would likely take years to resolve but as the reader you understand the narrative has to continue.
Hlsmlane
This is a sprawling book; were Weber a painter, it would be ten stories high by two blocks wide. There are so many characters, it is sometimes a bit difficult to keep them all straight. Given all this, one could be excused for expecting the story to drag sometimes. It doesn't. Although there are many elements to the plot, they all mesh together into a well told story.
Ray
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great series

Great series that builds and grows, like old "space opera". Multiple side plots/themes with multiple viewpoints. Am really enjoying the play on names of the characters.
Weenie
Aug 28, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, historical
With such a huge cast of characters, I was occasionally getting confused with the 'who' and the 'what' of the story. A slower plot-line than usual but still a good read, in particular the sea battles.
John
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, what a ride

This book is a worthy addition to the Safehold series, full of action and intrigue. I am really enjoying the series

The characters development is well done and the character's are likeable and some you will really despise
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
David Weber's Saf...: Safehold Steamships 1 2 Aug 06, 2012 02:57PM

• Eye of the Storm (Hedren War, #1)
  • In the Heart of Darkness (Belisarius, #2)
  • Firestorm (Destroyermen, #6)
  • An Oblique Approach (Belisarius, #1)
David Mark Weber is an American science fiction and fantasy author. He was born in Cleveland, Ohio in 1952.

Many of his stories have military, particularly naval, themes, and fit into the military science fiction genre. He frequently places female leading characters in what have been traditionally male roles.

One of his most popular and enduring characters is Honor Harrington whose alliterated name

Safehold (10 books)
  • Off Armageddon Reef (Safehold, #1)
  • By Schism Rent Asunder (Safehold, #2)
  • By Heresies Distressed (Safehold, #3)
  • How Firm a Foundation (Safehold, #5)
  • Midst Toil and Tribulation (Safehold, #6)
  • Like a Mighty Army (Safehold, #7)
  • Hell's Foundations Quiver (Safehold, #8)
  • At the Sign of Triumph (Safehold #9)
  • Through Fiery Trials (Safehold, #10)