Start by marking “A Mighty Fortress” as Want to Read:
A Mighty Fortress

A Mighty Fortress (Safehold #4)

4.1  ·  Rating details ·  5,053 Ratings  ·  175 Reviews
Young Cayleb Ahrmahk has accomplished things few people could even dream of. Not yet even thirty years old, he's won the most crushing naval victories in human history. He's smashed a hostile alliance of no less than five princedoms and won the hand of the beautiful young Queen Sharleyan of Chisholm. Cayleb and Sharleyan have created the Charisian Empire, the greatest nava ...more
Published March 1st 2011 by Tor Science Fiction (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about A Mighty Fortress, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Mighty Fortress

Group_Captain_Lionel_Mandrake
A lot of talky-talk, very little plot. Talk about sound and fury signifying nothing! Geez, Weber get on with the story, already. Too many characters. How come every other word is spelled properly EXCEPT for characters names? Would it have been asking too much for Zhamsyn Clyntahn to be Jamison Clinton or Hauwered Wylsyn to be Howard Wilson? For Pete's sake it is hard enough to break through 800 some odd pages of this book to get to the other side, and to have to pay a bunch of money for it, but ...more
Chris Perrin
Dec 20, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am of two minds on this book. Let's start with the good.

Let me say with no hesitation that had I never read any Honor Harrington books, I would be the Safehold series' biggest fan. It has action, politics, characters to cheer for, villians who are villians not because they are eeeevil, but because they have a different (though understandable) viewpoint.

So, if you haven't read Honor Harrington, stop readig this review right now and go buy the entire Safehold series.

Sadly, I have read pretty muc
Kathy Davie
Fourth in the Safehold military science fiction series that blends high tech with early 19th century weapons. It's a war of David and Goliath proportions pitting the valiant Empire of Charis against the might and power of a corrupt Church.

My Take
It's all so reasonable with Green Valley thrilled to be blending his marines with the Chisholmian army — their soldiers have taken Green Valley's tactical ideas and absorbed and improved them. Cayleb is insisting that Chisholmians are treated exactly the
Jeffrey
Feb 20, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: If your into the series only
Shelves: read-in-2010
Boring. Two little plot advancement, too little science, a lot of talking. Feels like the last few Weber books in the Honor Harrington series, and I do not mean that in a good way.

Weber devotes a lot of time to discussing the bad guys and their strategy. He also devotes a lot of time to the Prime Directive. In other words, how much do we tell the natives about the powerful Merlin in their midst. Lost in this 600 pages is the original story of how Merlin advances science.

Now the only seeming scie
Louis
In this book Weber continues the Safehold series where he is able to go back to the ship battles of old. The problem is that in this book he is dealing more with the description of the politics than in the action. Basically the balance is way off. Part of the problem is the increased number of people that are being tracked. In the past books in the series, he dealt with four of five players as they interacted with secondary ones (even if in some cases those secondaries were more important in the ...more
Guy
Overlong given the paucity of plot advancement and character development, frankly the book could have used a rigorous edit. By this time in the series we know most of the major characters and the issues they are wrestling with well enough so as not to need additional detailed exposés of what they think and why they do and don't do things and what the implications of minor events are. Weber would be well-advised to concentrate on advancing the plot while providing detailed exposition only of the ...more
John
Sep 17, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-fantasy
I like a lot of what DW does, but the editing on this one is terrible. Corisande and Charis are not the same place, and there were several other places where names did not get cleaned up properly.

Also this series is getting bogged down in moving the fleets and the plot from place to place. The world would be just as enjoyable, or actually more enjoyable to read about if it were about half as large as it seems to be.

Some great ideas, but this story needs to speed up or end.
Shannon
Sep 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
BEWARE: I DON'T THINK I PUT IN SPOILERS, BUT SINCE I'M A BIT HAZY AS TO WHAT THEY ARE, I MIGHT BE WRONG!
This is the 4th book in the saga. So much to like about it, but some stuff that gets in the way of rapture. For an Honor Harrington fan, it does not disappoint. Whereas the Honorverse deals in political ideological themes attached to a kind of female Horatio Hornblower in space, the Safeholdian universe deals in another version of grand mariner saga, only this time, the ideological themes rel
Johnny
Jan 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Although the title of this fourth book in the fabulous Armageddon’s Reef series doesn’t mean exactly what Martin Luther meant when he penned that poem/hymn in our world, A Mighty Fortress is an appropriate title for a work that brilliantly weaves science-fiction concepts and background into a world where a parallel Reformation (and in this volume, Counter-Reformation) is occurring. I sometimes read fiction for pure escape value, but this series both deepens my real faith and helps me reflect on ...more
Alistair
This is the fourth book in what must turn out to be a never ending series of "Safehold" novels from Weber. The size and scope of the Safehold world and the increasing cast of charaters introduced by Weber, and the authors own sometimes cumbersome writing style (why use one word when you can use three) insurers that this book at over 700 pages does not move the overall plot along very much.

This is the problem, I am not sure at this point what the end game is in this series of books....is it the o
Lindsay Stares
Jul 27, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This series seriously needs a “Last Time, On Safehold...” prologue. I'm not going to re-read, or even re-skim, one or more additional 600-plus page doorstops to reorient myself in preparation for reading this one. This is part four, incidentally, of what seems to now be shaping up to be Arthurian motifs plus Protestant Reformation plus Industrial Revolution plus Interminable Boring Warfare, In Space.

After the action pace of By Heresies Distressed, A Mighty Fortress felt like filler. Not much hap
Elizabeth Galewski
Why do I read these Safehold books?!?! Unlike the Honor Harrington series, in which Weber held me rapt with an increasingly complicated and humanized protagonist, these books feature a robot who doesn't evolve or grow. And I often get the sense that nothing much actually happens in a given volume of this series. Yet I still tend to queue the next one up when I'm done with the last. And at times, I even act as though I am addicted to them.

Perhaps I just like the violent battle scenes. These are u
Child960801
May 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels
The series continues. Things happen. There is a conversation in this book between two named female characters and it isn't about a man. There might even be two in this book.
Roger
Sep 16, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Should have been the kind of story I enjoy....but after way too many chapters, the character development left no characters one could care about at all.
Christopher
Apr 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review to come! :D
Scott Holstad
Aug 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Oh.My.God. I can't believe I finally finished this near-1200 page monster of a book! It was brutal at times. I usually try to write complete or thorough reviews after reading a book, but I'm afraid I won't for this one. Just too damn long, too damn much. So, a short review for a long book.

This is the fourth book in Weber's Safehold series. It's not a standalone book. You need to start with the first one and read them in order to know what's going on and who's who. In this book, the Empire of Cha
Ray Dambrose
Aug 18, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Reading this book was like watching a TV series where all your favorite characters decided to drop the show. You barely get to see the main characters, and honestly, what I saw of Merlin (my favorite character) seemed infuriatingly uncharacteristic. The rest was barely more than political discussion from secondary characters. The series started so strong! The second and third books kept getting progressively political, but the characters held my attention. Without that, I have little desire to c ...more
Robert Aldrich
Aug 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good addition to series

This book was a monster in size, but I loved reading it. There is a lot of great things that take place--great as in for the story, because some of them are actually truly horrible.

I have really enjoyed reading this series. My biggest beef remains the names, and I sometimes get lost in who is who because of the strange twisting of the names, but I deal with it.
Tm Buffalo
Jun 23, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Oh vey this one was not very good at all sad but it seemed like very little plot development lots of talking and thinking this series seems bogged down or stretched out not sure if I will read any farther too many names and folks to keep track of sad really I wanted to like it but had to force myself to skim and plow thru to the end.
John
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, what a ride

This book is a worthy addition to the Safehold series, full of action and intrigue. I am really enjoying the series

The characters development is well done and the character's are likeable and some you will really despise
Weenie
Aug 28, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, historical
With such a huge cast of characters, I was occasionally getting confused with the 'who' and the 'what' of the story. A slower plot-line than usual but still a good read, in particular the sea battles.
Pedro Marroquín
Aug 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Entrega demasido larga, con partes aburridísimas, aunque por fin vemos que los acólitos de la Iglesia del Nulo Avance Científico tienen algo más de dos neuronas. Y el nuevo Imperio sufre su primera derrota, y otras van a caerles. Pero cuando la acción aparece en escena se lee cómo un suspiro. B+
Michel Sizaire
Oct 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enjoying this series very much, a nice blend of sci-fi and medieval story telling.
JBradford
Apr 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think I’ve made it pretty clear in earlier reviews that I am a great fan of David Webber and also of this Safehold series, and this has to be the best so far, which is why I broke down and gave it a 5-star rating, which I do not normally do for fiction. I read the previous novel in the series last week, and I had to go on to this one right away. This is book 4 in the series, and I believe I have a copy of the sequel somewhere in the house, but I cannot find it and it is driving me crazy! So mu ...more
Brett Thomasson
David Weber has a knack for creating wonderful places for his authorial imagination to play in. The praises of the Honorverse, home of the galaxy's best, brightest and bravest Hornblower-ette, Honor Harrington, have been sung before in this space. Weber's other main series these days is set on a world called Safehold, in which the last remnants of humanity cling to life following their near extinction.

In the series' first book Off Armageddon Reef, humans are in the last stages of their war again
Ben
Jun 06, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pulp, kindle
Very much what readers of Weber have come to expect from both his Honor Harrington and Safehold series, which have a fair amount in common. There are definitely some good parts to the book - particularly towards the end, where things warm up somewhat. Weber does a great job of describing battles as usual, and this installment is a logical chapter in the series, taking place over about a year.

On the other hand, it had been a while since I read the last the one and the large amount of characters -
D.w.
Sep 06, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, reviewed
Having just read the first book in the Manticore Ascendant sequence, turning to Weber's sole work shows once again how clearly the writer is floundering. The other with a co-writer who obviously did the lion's share, show where Weber's faults come out.

There were perhaps two subplots in this story that were interesting. The pacification of Corisande and the successful fleeing from the Gang of Four of the persecuted families. (There, Spoilers for the only good and complete parts of the book)

Otherw
Allisyn
A Mighty Fortress is the fourth book in David Weber's Safehold series. The premise for the series in definitely intriguing: after a devastating space battle with an alien race, the last vestiges of human civilization form a colony and their leaders alter memories to create devotion to a religion that glorifies those leaders, demonizes their political enemies, and holds the colony at a low technological level. Nine hundred years later, an android body containing the mind of one of the original cr ...more
Jay
May 20, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really, 2.5 stars [re-calibrated, now that I've done some more reviews -- May 28]

I'm pretty sure that David Weber is a popular author with a following that will purchase anything he writes. As a result, this author and his publishers seem to be sliding into producing MPUs (Minimum Publishing Units).

I'm also going to guess that a large book can be sold for more than a small one, and that the author gets paid more, too. So expect a novella trying to burst out of 700 pages.

If you are not yet a Webe
John Hill
First of all, if you have not read any on the books in the series, do not start here, or anywhere other than the beginning. There is too much going on and too much to understand for this to be the type of series where you can just jump into the middle, and figure things out as you go along.

Ok, now that the disclaimer is out of the way I can get down to the nitty gritty of reviewing this novel.

I am a big Safehold fan. The series has been my big introduction to Weber as I'm only about three novels
David Weber's Saf...: Safehold Steamships 1 2 Aug 06, 2012 02:57PM
  • The Hot Gate (Troy Rising, #3)
  • Some Golden Harbor (Lt. Leary, #5)
  • Fortune's Stroke (Belisarius, #4)
  • Daring (Kris Longknife, #9)
  • Firestorm (Destroyermen, #6)
David Mark Weber is an American science fiction and fantasy author. He was born in Cleveland, Ohio in 1952.

Many of his stories have military, particularly naval, themes, and fit into the military science fiction genre. He frequently places female leading characters in what have been traditionally male roles.

One of his most popular and enduring characters is Honor Harrington whose alliterated name
More about David Weber...

Safehold (9 books)
  • Off Armageddon Reef (Safehold, #1)
  • By Schism Rent Asunder (Safehold, #2)
  • By Heresies Distressed (Safehold, #3)
  • How Firm a Foundation (Safehold, #5)
  • Midst Toil and Tribulation (Safehold, #6)
  • Like a Mighty Army (Safehold, #7)
  • Hell's Foundations Quiver (Safehold, #8)
  • At the Sign of Triumph (Safehold #9)